Posted in dance | music | pictures | tour dates on May 19, 2008

photos by Ryan Muir

Kim (and Nomi)
Hercules & love Affair @ Studio B

Their record company describes them as "a pan-sexual mix for our troubled times". That is one way of saying that Hercules and Love Affair are the kind of band in which guest vocalist Antony Hegarty - the Mercury prize-winning torch singer and radical gay performance artist, with a strong interest in gender reassignment - is the Charlie Watts figure: integral, but a bit stolid and suburban by contrast with his flamboyant bandmates. These include transsexual vocalist Nomi; dancer Shayne, a gay B-boy and mainstay of New York's voguing scene; and Kim Ann Foxman, a Hawaiian lesbian jewellery designer famed for running a notorious club (club?) called Mad Clams, where one could apparently "get away with anything - smoking, sex, drugs, peeing in the corner, dancing naked".... [Guardian]
Nomi (she wore 2 outfits)
Hercules & love Affair @ Studio B

Hercules & Love Affair played their first official show at Studio B in Brooklyn on Saturday night (May 17, 2008). As advertised, Antony (who sings some songs on the album) was NOT there, but Nomi (who is awesome and will be touring Europe with them) was there to sing with Kim. More about the show later. More pictures and tour dates below....

MC Linda Simpson

Hercules & love Affair @ Studio B

"Believe it or not, before I got involved with Hercules and Love Affair I was really street, really rough, really hood." As it happens, it is quite hard to believe, for Nomi, the 24-year-old transsexual singer fronting the New York hipster disco revivalists' upcoming UK tour, is about as glamorous as they come. [The Independent]
Hercules & Love Affair - 2008 Tour Dates
Jul 12 - Notte Verde Turin
Jul 13 - Ferrara Sotto Le Stelle @ Piazza Castello Ferrara, Reggio Emilia
Jul 18 - Melt Festival Near Berlin, Berlin
Jul 19 - Camp Bestival Dorset
Aug 15 - Ola Festival El Ejido, Almería
Sep 6 - Bestival Isle Of Wight, Channel Islands

Awesome show. Hercules & Love Affair really delivered. The DJs were good too.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2008 8:29 AM

boobs

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2008 8:44 AM

she's a man baby.

Posted by gene | May 19, 2008 9:01 AM

It was all right, but nothing spectacular tho. I was expecting more. Music was good. They might sound tighter when they come back from their first tour... hopefully with Antony singing, although Nomi did a decent job singing his parts. Kim was good with her songs (she is cool) but I think she didn't sound good enough singing Raise Me Up (of course, she doesn't have Antony's tubes).

Posted by Eduardo | May 19, 2008 9:07 AM

I was there but totally blacked out around 1:30am. What time did Hercules & Love Affair finally come on?

Posted by Cheeeeeeeese | May 19, 2008 9:24 AM

they went on at 110am.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2008 9:29 AM

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2008 10:14 AM

Wow... a club where you can pee in the corner. Count me in!!!

Sooooo edgy.....

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2008 10:28 AM

Studio B didn't seem to mind the excessive drug use Saturday night. Didn't see any peeing in the corner though.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2008 10:47 AM

i'd hit it.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2008 11:08 AM

FIERCE! tRanny Hot mess!

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2008 12:38 PM

Nomi gave me a ZJ in the bathroom around 3:10am.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2008 12:59 PM

who sang Blind at this show?

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2008 1:31 PM

pre op or post op

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2008 1:49 PM

what?! that's a man??? the pink dressed one?? surely you mean the other one with the short hair and black t-shirt. Not the bra and short skirted one. right? come on, lie to me.

Posted by sara | May 19, 2008 2:11 PM

He/She merely tucks the penis around his/her thigh. I know, from experience dude.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2008 2:27 PM

Cheeeeeeeese, you should have regulated your ghb dosage a little better. Hope your ass isn't too sore. You were great!

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2008 2:55 PM

Nomi's the hottest Puerto Rican tranny ever!!! I've known her for years...I actually have an old ass mp3 of hers singing over a beat from the late 90s...I never messed with her but it'd be a pleasure!!!

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2008 2:57 PM

""I saw Antony walking on Bleecker St last week, and he looked like a fat homeless dude. He was wearing dirtly multi-colored "hawaiian" pants and a dishelved shirt, with a bad mullet. Yikes.""

are you sure that wasn't Hillary???

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2008 3:18 PM

Can everyone get over the fact that Nomi is transsexual and focus on the music? Not to mention that she has an incredible, deep and soulful voice?
Kudos to her.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2008 4:09 PM

Ok, the music. Not knowing the line-up, I was very very curious as to how they'll pull off the album live. I found myself wondering "with live band" or all "laptop".... but knowing DFA/LCD, I was anticipating live band, though still very worried that it's too ambitious to pull off for a brand new band.

On those terms, I was very glad to see the full band. I wish I was closer to check out the gear (i'm like that). They sounded great to my ears, but they didn't blow me away at the same time. To me LCD is the best touring live dance band. As in they get all the nuances of a great dance club night. But even they were somewhat underwhelming the first time I saw them for free at the basement of Tribeca Grand years ago. So, I have a whole lot of hope for H&LA. They're definitely on my top 10 2008 list.

O, something else of note. Did anyone noticed how "friendly" and positive the vibe was that night? The only thing I can compare it to is the E-fueled nights in a mostly gay but mixed is welcomed dance club. I forgot what a great vibe that is. I'm only saying that because if you've been to a justice or mstkrft show recently, you'd know what a testerone meat head vibe those events have....

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2008 4:54 PM

Perhaps everyone was feeling so good because of all the nose clearing going on in the bathrooms.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2008 6:11 PM

Do you find him attractive, Beavis?

Posted by Butt-head | May 19, 2008 6:37 PM

It was a great positive vibe, totally true!

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2008 10:27 PM

This was a amazing show! Of course with a amazing performance my the ever talented Nomi.I really don't understand some of the cunts above. Why are you extremely rude about Nomi. She's a artist. end it. You sound like ignorant dorks. kisses.

Posted by Wonderuradick | May 20, 2008 6:31 AM

What? Nomi's a transsexual? I use to masturbate to her picture daily. Really, say it ain't so.

Posted by john | May 26, 2008 8:14 PM

This band rocks. They don't need Antony. I saw them in Studio B and my friend saw them in Glasgow and she said they rocked fuckin hard! I'm pretty sure they're only going to get better.

Unfortunately the Studio B crowd was packed with fucktheads and assholes.

Posted by Fandude | June 2, 2008 5:25 PM

If you didn't know nomi was a transexual and you wanted to hit that or think about her while you were with your girl, that just means you are a real man, you know talent and hotness when you see it, she's amazing if i could tap that and she gave me the time or day oh hell yea... then i'd ask her to sing me to sleep , sigh

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 9:16 PM

i would totally hit that! then i would beat the hell out of it!!

Posted by danny bonaduce | June 20, 2008 10:15 PM

i saw them in lisbon last thursday. it was awesome and i almost got a stroke when i was told she is transsexual. she is probably the sexier woman i've ever seen.

about music: they're amazing. what a show. they clearly don't need antony! i hope i can see them again really soon!

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2008 9:56 PM

i wanted to jerk out on nomi pics a moment ago, but then i red this article...

Posted by orgazmatron | July 24, 2008 1:17 PM