Posted in Contests | music on May 1, 2008

I'm From Barcelona @ Maxwell's, NJ - Apr 25, 2008 (Ear Farm)
Im From Barcelona @ MAxwells

Ear Farm: And then you guys are playing the Brooklyn Masonic Temple next Thursday...

I'm From Barcelona: Yeah, I'm kind of excited about it. As I told you I like to read about stuff, brotherhood and societies, it's always fascinating, I'll probably sneak around finding weird symbolic stuff and building my own conspiracy theories. We did the pool parties with the same promoter last year and it was amazing[...] Another thing I'm looking forward to is we're doing a show Yo Gabba Gabba, it's a children's program on Nickelodeon, it's an amazing music program (ed note: see recent Shins performance on the program HERE). They want to pick good music for young people, they write their own music and we did a cover of it and are going to perform it there. I think it's going to be amazing because I've been thinking of doing a children's record.

Thao Nguyen with The Longest Band Name Ever opens the show in Brooklyn tonight (May 1, 2008). $10 tickets are still available AND I have one pair of tickets to give away (courtesy of show sponsor Boost Mobile Community) to the fifth person who emails BVCONTESTS@HOTMAIL.COM (subject: Barcelona) right now.

southpaw has a link to this show on their page, and also lists "special guests t.b.a." any ideas?

Posted by pt | May 1, 2008 12:17 PM

what's the full name of 'the longest band name ever?'

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 12:19 PM

they were great in s.f. last wednesday.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 12:27 PM

The entire name is:

"Thao with The Get Down Stay Down"

which is not really the longest name EVER, but it feels that way every time I have to type it.

Posted by brooklynvegan | May 1, 2008 12:27 PM

Don't forget the "Nguyen" in that name. Us Nguyens are kind of a big deal lol.

Maybe she'll get popular enough and people will just refer to her as TNWTGDST.

Posted by Bao | May 1, 2008 12:30 PM

"Maybe she'll get popular enough and people will just refer to her as TNWTGDST."

And on that day, Jim Tnwtgdst, an umarried 52-year-old auto mechanic from Parma, Ohio, will feel a bit of relief.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 12:43 PM

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 12:50 PM

"everyone's forgetting the main point here, which is that I'm From Barcelona suck and are just a bunch of clowns. "

Always remember, never forget. Seriously, though, that is true. They are awful and should not still be around.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 12:52 PM

Lord, just another bunch of tedious hipsters. God, just terrible.

You folks have any plans to cover bands that are actually good and not ass?

Posted by Jimmy Chicken | May 1, 2008 12:53 PM

sometimes people like musical clowns. they don't like assclowns like you though.

Posted by pt | May 1, 2008 12:53 PM

LMAO! nothing snarky nor constructive to contribute that was funny

Posted by fggf | May 1, 2008 1:02 PM

awesome glasses sally jesse, she looks like she was in the film 9 to 5

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 1:03 PM

show at maxwells was surprisingly really good

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 1:05 PM

these bros are way too happy

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 1:07 PM

These bros need some frat boys to get kool, that's fer sure. Maybe hang out with dope madonna.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 1:21 PM

I haven't gotten around to giving this band a listen, but I love that the woman in the matching orangish-red shorts-top set is giving out the hardcore points to the Maxwell's crowd. She must've been watching some old Sick of It All videos or sumpin'. I'm from Barcelona and it's clobberin' time! Urrrrrg!

Posted by Eggs1234 | May 1, 2008 1:51 PM

beat happening meats polyphionic spree. with none of the humor of the former and none of the spirit of the latter. just complete and utter rubbish.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 1:55 PM

Hey 1:55, why don't you just shut the fuck up?

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 2:51 PM

More like "I'm from Gaycelona"

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 3:06 PM

hey 2:51, because I don't fucking want to.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 3:08 PM

dear bitchers: go suck yourselves. i'm from barcelona is AMAZING live. their gigs last year were some of my favorites i've ever been to. if you haven't actually been to a show and are basing your opinion based on a couple of casual mp3 plays, you're a hypocrite.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 3:39 PM

3:39 i saw them at McCarren pool last summer and it was like a bad grade school play: trite melodies, songs about treehouses, people in colorful clothes jumping around. two steps up from Kid bands like the wiggles or wuggles or whatever.

not everything has to be super grave like beethoven or elliot smith but music that operates on a fifth grade emotional level just isn't my bag.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 3:49 PM

Nice! There are some funny pics on that Earfarm article too. I don't really care for the band on CD, but I do have to say that they are pretty hilarious and fun live. So take it for what it's worth I guess. No point in being angry about it, really. Some people will like it, others won't...

Posted by Jon Dear | May 1, 2008 4:02 PM

I <3 Emanuel Lundgren and his posse. I don't care if he brings out my inner fifth grader. Sometimes it's good for the soul.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 4:08 PM

TNWTGDST

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 4:09 PM

My question: Why do almost all hipsters wear the same outfits? I mean, the big silly sunglasses, tight jeans, ironic t-shirt? Are they really any different than frat boys? No, they are not.

Posted by Warner Wolf | May 1, 2008 4:47 PM

because they all crave the same acceptance and community that frat boys do. frat boys make fun of hipsters (and give them swirlies) and hipsters make fun of frat boys (and write ads for them and serve them coffee and food).

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 5:14 PM

Well put. I think you've hit the nail on the hipster.

Posted by Warner Wolf | May 1, 2008 5:23 PM

the show at maxwells was awesome. their music is no holy fuck or fuck buttons or whatever is the new band this week. they have fun. the crowd has fun.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 8:06 PM

hey 3:08 -- I fucking love you.

Posted by Anonymous | May 2, 2008 12:01 AM

Funnest. Show. Ever.

Posted by Anonymous | May 2, 2008 1:27 AM

yeah, barcelona was pretty cool, though i have to agree they lacked the quality of ppspree - rowdier and less focused, the songs suffered as a result, but the overall effect was nice. the venue, however - my first time there, and hopefully my last. jesus christ, is the sound there always that bad? every fucking snare hit echoed in my head, while i had to strain to hear anything thao sung. it seemed like a cool gimmick, but unless they (boost, jelly, whoever sponsors those shows) step their act up technically, they won't ever hold a candle to "real" venues. shit, they should've just had it at warsaw - same big space, way better sound.

Posted by bentrup | May 2, 2008 1:43 AM

i actually thought the sound was quite good and i was in the front row. maybe that's why? (though usually the sound up front is horrible at shows; who knows). i really have no complaints about this venue at all. nice size, good space, etc.

and the show was incredible. loved the opener too.

Posted by Anonymous | May 2, 2008 1:56 AM

look another nutty brooklyn band
Direct Instant Message session started
their so irreverant wearing yellow like that
it's almost like they are anti rock star
that's so original
how would thunk it
what are they called?.. The dayjobbers
the future cpa's
when this thing doesnt work out
the plan Bs
hah
the"im only doing this for a few more years's"
the "i'll do this until my trust fund ends'
the "5 year plans
the "i used to be in a bands"
hah
the.. Ill do this until i get married then i'm moving back top michigans"
the "daddy used to be in a band hunny's"
lol
the.. i'll do this until my significant other tels me i have to get a real job
the"luster has almost worn offs"
lol
the.."guys i can't make the gig i have to works'
the" I'm certain I want a record deal but would never say its"
the... i pretend not to cares"
haha
"the radically conservative anti conformists"
we should copy and paste this whole texting session from tonight and post it
i took the picture from brooklyn vegan
i could tell

Posted by dayyob | May 2, 2008 2:34 AM

when they play brooklyn tomorrow night there will be more irony in one room than anywhere else in the world.

brooklyn is manhattan's mildly retarded sister who gives everyone hand jobs.

Posted by Anonymous | May 2, 2008 2:44 AM

I'm from suckalona

Posted by Anonymous | May 2, 2008 2:56 AM

I thought this was not very good at all.

I first had some trouble getting over all of the Boost Mobile marketing. I was suspicious of all of the photographers roaming around and guessed that we were extras in a modile phone commercial. I got my picture taken a couple of times and I guess I can now go to the Boost Mobile website to view them. I think we were there over an hour before the first(of 2) bands took the stage.

The first band had an OK sound but it seemed like it was a much weaker version of many other bands I've heard. They tried unsuccessfully maybe 6 times to get the crowd to clap along. The singer seemed to be trying to look more intense than the music by shaking her hair around alot. I bet it will look great in the photographs though.

My friend thought I would like "I'm from Barcelona" because I kinda liked the Polyphonic Spree. He was wrong. Before this band even started, the night was already about how many distractions were preventing me from getting into the music. This band took the distraction to new heights with giant pink balloons, lots of confetti, lots of Swedishness, this little fat man in a cape and a conga line through the audience. I'm not saying that I don't like big balloons, confetti and fat swedish men because I do. I'm just saying that this was not a good concert.

But, there were plenty of people that seemed to be enjoying it.. so, of course, I could be way off. Maybe it was all one big parody and i'm too dense to get it.

Posted by davvid | May 2, 2008 11:43 AM

My vote for the ugliest frontman EVER.

Posted by Anonymous | May 3, 2008 2:55 PM