Posted in hiphop | music | pictures on May 14, 2008

Some photos of last night's show at MSG courtesy of ATHLETE Director Dave...

Kanye @ MSG

Kanye @ MSG

Kanye @ MSG

At Tuesday night's Madison Square Garden stop on his national "Glow in the Dark" tour, West rapped and roamed around an otherwise empty stage, assuring that all focus would land entirely on himself.

The vast staging mimicked a lunar landscape in a world far away, underscoring "Glow's" intergalactic theme, which served the star's ego as well. At one point in the night's "Lost in Space" scenario, West met a female space alien who, naturally, recognized him.

"You're the biggest star in the universe," she exclaimed.
[Jim Farber - Daily News]

The show was nothing short of amazing.

Posted by Bonita Applebum | May 14, 2008 12:07 PM

how was Trizzy though?

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2008 12:18 PM

so being a vegan doesn't guarantee any aesthetic taste is the subtext of this website.

Posted by jim | May 14, 2008 12:20 PM

12:18pm

i dont think a-trak is his dj on this tour.

Posted by jason | May 14, 2008 12:32 PM

Lupe and N.E.R.D were great!

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2008 12:37 PM

This show was absolutely AMAZING! I'm sure there will be haters, like always with Kanye, but I don't know how that's possible. Ego aside, he, how do they say, "killed it!" This was so far from a typical Hip-Hop show; no screaming, no entourage, no one on stage but him (& Lupe for the last song) From the stage set up, the light show, arrangement of songs, everything! The dude knows how to entertain. Word is that Jigga and company were in the house, but of course, Kanye kept them off of his stage. Rightfully so. Kanye knew this was his biggest show to date and he did not disappoint.

Yes, he is arrogant, but what performer isn't? Plus, Kanye has set the bar high for himself as an "entertainer" and he always seems to live up to it. I mean, it takes some balls to sing about your recently deceased mother and then sit silently, with you head in your hands, on the corner of the stage..all while Journey's "Don't Stop Believin" is playing! Cheers, Mr. West!

Posted by a believer | May 14, 2008 12:38 PM

How was Rihanna?

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2008 12:46 PM

What time did Daft Punk go on?

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2008 12:49 PM

"all while Journey's "Don't Stop Believin" is playing! Cheers, Mr. West!"

Sounds kinky!

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2008 12:50 PM

this show was ridiculous, just ridiculous. and not in a good way

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2008 12:51 PM

yo, "a believer" - there are many, many performers that are not arrogant. kanye is a grade a douchenozzle. or rather, the biggest star in his own universe.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2008 12:53 PM

"kanye is a grade a douchenozzle. or rather, the biggest star in his own universe."

In his own universe?! Sure thing. That just sounds ridiculous. The guy is one of the biggest stars in the world and denying that fact is just ignorant!

Posted by a believer | May 14, 2008 1:01 PM

Rihanna was surprisingly great! She brought out Chris Brown for 'Umbrella' and the place went ape shit! Good times!

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2008 1:02 PM

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2008 1:04 PM

"anyone who has to have a back drop that reminds the audience that the perfromer is the "biggest star in the universe" is just an egomanical douche. i think he's just trying to prove something before that gay hiphop star book comes out."

Ha haa!! I totally think he's the dude they're hoping will come out, too. Makes sense to me.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2008 1:19 PM

gay or not, this guy can eat a dick.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2008 1:29 PM

The entire show from 7:30-midnight was great. N.E.R.D was really fun and actually surprised me with the large crowd reaction. Rihanna did her little medly with Beenie Man, M.I.A. and Lauryn Hill songs, along with a cameo by Chris Brown that brought out the 13 year old in everyone. Kanye was amazing, goes without saying. I really don't know how anyone could say anything bad about this show, but have at it I guess.

Posted by lb | May 14, 2008 1:44 PM

Kayne doesn't care about white people.

Posted by BushLeague | May 14, 2008 2:12 PM

Fun show. Not great, probably not worth my $120 for mid-level priced tix and I won't do the same for his next tour. Considering how many effing instruments were in the pit, I couldn't believe how much pre-recorded material he resorted to. I had a great view of the pit and for the life of me, despite 3 or 4 keyboards, nobody was playing the hook to the Chris Martin song live as far as I could tell.

Biggest gripe: nothing glowed in the dark! No joke. The set up was badass but he didn't do much w/ it besides run around and talk to the HAL-like entity on the big screen.

There's not a modest/humble bone in his body.

Lupe & NERD were solid. Rihanna was a big production but her tunes don't do much for me.

Posted by Tito | May 14, 2008 2:13 PM

Kayne SUCKS!!! Big time Egomaniac!!!

Posted by Vader17 | May 14, 2008 2:31 PM

>>gay or not, this guy can eat a dick.

he actually DOES eat dick. you'll see when that book comes out.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2008 2:42 PM

he's just a big teddy bear though

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2008 2:55 PM

"he actually DOES eat dick. you'll see when that book comes out."

Why are you so pissed? Because he is never gonna suck yours? Who gives a fuck if he is gay? Entertainment Tonight, Perez Hilton and you...
Vanity doesn't make you gay...

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2008 2:57 PM

I thought the show was under-whelming for extremely high priced arena entertainment.

Him being up there alone got old after a while and there was no light show. Everything was done via the video screens which were showing the same planetscapes and stars over and over. It was a shame too because he was performing his ass off.

I was by the sound board and yes there was a VIP area up there. John Legend, Beyonce, Jigga, Quest Love, Puffy.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2008 3:27 PM

I don't think "a believer" is Kanye himself, because his or her comments are written too well. So I think "a believer" is someone Kanye is paying to post laudatory comments on blogs.

Posted by Law & Order: Brooklyn Vegan | May 14, 2008 3:40 PM

No one insinuated "a believer" was Kanye, btw. He's probably too busy teabagging some dude right now to bother with blog postings.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2008 3:46 PM

i was a little disappointed there was no glowing, too.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2008 6:29 PM

honestly the show was aight...i saw Jay-Z at the garden a week earlier and that show was dope! just Jay on the floor (and some fancy explosions here & there), but yeah just dude on the floor with his hits...Jay doesn't need props to get props...that's Kanye's role...his songs are dope but honestly the dude can't be on a stage by himself without the distractions and keep a crowd going for almost an hour & a half (that i give him props for...not many hiphop artists go on for that long, Jay-Z only did like 35 minutes)....but my point is it was a very good show...the stage looked crazy....excellent job...the "show" was great...and Kanye is dope as a whole but definitely not as a rapper...but if i have to deal with Kanye's lyrics to hear his incredible production then I have no choice b/c hands down he's the best hiphop producer in the game right now...so back to my point (I'm stoned so forgive the rambling) the show was good...Lupe was ehhh (that's a whole 'nother story), NERD rocked it, Rihanna's for chicks & 'Ye was dope...I give it a 3.5 out of 5 (now I see why EW gave him that rating...it's fair)

Posted by chios | May 14, 2008 11:26 PM

I count 4 "dope's", 2 "prop's" and 1 "game" from ^^^^^^

Posted by Jesus H. Christ | May 15, 2008 12:12 AM

boring, running around screaming, cheesy rap frazes, something that was said before,screaming at the people! I don't get it!! That not art, that's not pushing any thing, this dude has the stage to make art, but it's cheese! Sad! That it's wasted!! Need someone thinking outside the box, sorry, seen that show before!!

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2008 1:12 AM

I was there, thinking to my why!! Wanted to scream, wanted to be excited, wanted to be a fan!! But just didn't get it! Thinking maybe it was cool, thinking what I would say to my friend, wanted to brag to them, that they missed the show. Can't do it!! Left there, feeling some one broke my ballon! Rap is better in the studio, like the beatles, hard to do live, the moment is lost!

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2008 1:29 AM

he's the Bono of Hip-Hop, with his self-importance trip.

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2008 2:06 AM

Unfortunately, I've come to expect lazy journalism, but for all of these sideline observers (I wouldn't dare call you fans) to be unable to find a better critique than 'he's an egomaniac' after all these years is just sad. Most performers are vain or they'd have jobs that didn't place them in front of hundreds of screaming fans on a regular basis. I find it perplexing that Kanye seems to be the only person whose ego people feel the need to comment on as excessive (and it's not necessarily an accurate assessment). The fact that so few analyze his lyrical content or capability as a producer leads me to believe no one has actually heard his music beyond what comes on the radio or MTV.

Posted by Anon | May 15, 2008 10:52 AM

Kanye's show was a total rip off, though not the one Pareles said. Check this out (link to more pics at bottom)

Posted by Pete | May 16, 2008 11:08 AM