Posted in music | streams on May 1, 2008

Madonna & Justin Timberlake @ Roseland Ballroom, NYC - April 30, 2008
Madonna & Justin Timberlake

Considering the hassle people went through to get into the show, I think Madonna should have played more than six or seven songs (one of which was with Justin Timberlake), but that's just me....

Halfway through her 32-minute set on Wednesday night at the Roseland Ballroom in Manhattan, Madonna offered a message of sympathy.

"All you people I saw sleeping in the street last night," she said, "this song is for you."

It was "Hung Up," about the agony of waiting. And as she finished the song, she added, just in case the message wasn't clear: "Anybody who knows me knows how much I hate to wait."

New York may be a city of the impatient, but for Madonna's fans, Wednesday's show proved that seeing her for free in a 2,200-capacity hall -- minuscule by her usual touring standards -- was something worth waiting for. And waiting for a very long time.

The line outside Roseland, on West 52nd Street, formed 60 hours before show time.... [NY Times: For Madonna Fans, the Wait Is Worth It]

People were also paying over $1000 a ticket to scalpers.

The whole show is now streaming online. THIS LINK will launch the video in Windows Media Player. Way more about the show at 'All About Madonna'.

$1000 a ticket! Shesh! You could fly to London, stay in a hotel and see her on a normal tour date there for $1000..it would also be a full show. Who has this much money to spend on a 7 song set!

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 9:15 AM

Wow..she is looking muscular these days!

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 9:19 AM

She looks like Jack Lalanne.

Posted by CTC | May 1, 2008 9:20 AM

I wish they told people the deal about those tickets. My roomates and I went down to Roseland and waited on line for a few minutes before a dude came over and said that we needed to get a wristband the previous night.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 9:29 AM

Some people have too much time or too much money.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 9:37 AM

Madonna is out of touch, boring and irrelevant. And if you marry her you will stop making cool British crime movies.

Posted by dudebro | May 1, 2008 9:51 AM

Posted by Jonny Sweater | May 1, 2008 9:53 AM

>Who has this much money to spend on a 7 song set!

hello and welcome to nyc. people here have money and lots of it.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 10:15 AM

"I don't care what you say. I know plenty -- thousands -- of solid bros who are into madonna. I doubt they're wrong."

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 10:17 AM

OK so i was at this show last night and hell i have no axe to grind as i did not pay scalpers or have to stand in line at all. I got on the list for me and my girl. This show was absolutely TERRIBLE. She is so done it is not even funny. The sound was horrid. It was over before it began. Many many screaming idiots of course as you would expect. The 1000 ticket paying is total bullshit by the way. That is what scammers were asking on cl. It does not mean anyone actually paid it. And frankly you couldnt with the whole wristband system. Just ridiculous but i will tell you. Taking your girl to an exclusive Madonna show equals some right good fucking later in the evening.
Thanks my friends over at Live Nation.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 10:23 AM

"Again with the "bros" talk. WTF?!?! Can you please, please, please go back to Frat City USA and stop polluting our music sites? Now."

really?? you don't get sarcasm?? did you pick that up from the content or that the person signed it 'johnny sweater'?

really?

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 10:30 AM

really.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 10:34 AM

Posted by erudite | May 1, 2008 10:36 AM

The show probably would have rocked harder if Feist came on stage to do a duet cover of an Alanis Morissette song and then they invited eveyone to an after party at Terminal 5.

Posted by jim | May 1, 2008 10:39 AM

and then dafty punkers played!!! you know, for all the bros to party.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 10:41 AM

I heard she lost her Pig at the end of the show

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 10:42 AM

BROSEPH - MY BROTHA FROM ANOTHER MOTHA.

respect to the bro.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 10:45 AM

I ate her pig.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 10:45 AM

OMG, Justin Timberlake!!! It's okay to like Justin Timberlake, he's a DIFFERENT kind of corporate pop star!!!

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 10:49 AM

People who are under the illusion that Madonna is irrelevant are irrelevant.

The length of the show was normal for a free publicity show. It was actually longer than most people there had expected. Clear instructions were given to fans on when/how to pick up wristbands and it actually was not that big of a hassle to get in according to a few people I know who got them early yesterday morning and went home/work afterwards. Considering it was free and in a relatively small venue for Madonna, I'm sure it was more than worth the hassle for fans (Maybe not for people who were on the list so that they get to sleep with their girlfriends.)

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 10:49 AM

10:30 am -- thanks for acting on my behalf to call out & lash 10:17's douchey, panties-bunched dull-mindedness. Sorry you even had to do so. 10:17 -- explore irony BRO. Makes life more interesting.

Posted by Jonny Sweater from FRAT CITY, USA | May 1, 2008 10:50 AM

Well I'm not too cool to admit it: I'm jealous! I frigging wish I were there! This BrooklynVegan reader loves him some Madonna. If I weren't-- you know-- employed, I totally would have been out there, waiting with all the other crazies. You may not like her music, but there's no denying she's a world class entertainer. I'll be there for the arena tour for sure.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 10:59 AM

i'll start saving for her real tour. Adding ticket price to drinks to transportation....

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 10:59 AM

Why Jesus, why?

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 11:08 AM

Arranging the ticket distribution to allow her fans to wait for that long is pure freaking ego and publicity seeking nonsense. Then to play such a short show after making those fans wait there that long is insulting.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 11:15 AM

all you homos that hate on frat boys and bros are most likely UGLY dudes that don't get any pussy. and if you do, it's from UGLY girls

i was never even in a frat but i guarantee you i am one of those "frat boys" you always hate on.

HATERS

back to the topic at hand... Madonna is dope!

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 11:20 AM

i'm pretty sure it's not just homosexuals that hate frat boys

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 11:25 AM

most intelligent people do too

Posted by jim | May 1, 2008 11:29 AM

"to anon at 10:23: it was a free show, you tool. everyone was aware that the set was going to be able 33 minutes and most people seemed to have no problem with that. so what if roseland probably ripped you off on the long island iced teas you bought for your girl who gave you nothing later that night....Madonna was on fire

Posted by erudite | May 1, 2008 10:36 AM"

Wow amazingly this fucking moron has the gall to call himself erudite. You are not even close to being that you dumb fucker. Obviously you were not there last night because no sir did everyone think that the set was going to be "able 33 minutes"(and you call yourself erudite hahaha). People were booing and pissed off as they were leaving. And you wish my girl gave me nothing last night. Actually it probably makes you feel better to say that since you probably stayed home last night watching the show on msn and then jerked yourself off like the loser you are. Madonna sucked last night.

"They took some pretty good measures to avoid scalpers. If some people paid money, they were most likely conned and were not able to go in."

They did take good measures and again that craigslist thing were scams. No one was scalping outside.

"The length of the show was normal for a free publicity show. It was actually longer than most people there had expected."

"I'm sure it was more than worth the hassle for fans (Maybe not for people who were on the list so that they get to sleep with their girlfriends.)"

Again, wrong. If you were actually there you would clearly see that most people were not aware and were pissed off. Seemed to me a lot of her fan base who had waited all night were angry as well.

"The fact that sound sucks at Roseland is nothing new if you knew a little bit about the NYC concert scene. Unfortunately it is as intimate as it gets for most artists who are that popular."

Trust me i have been to more concerts in this city than you have and i know all about Roseland. This was bad sounding even by Roseland standards. And wrong again boyo, many artists as big as her play more intimate places from time to time like say the U2 Irving Plaza show i went to a few years ago.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 11:33 AM

Posted by freddy kruger | May 1, 2008 11:35 AM

"most intelligent people do too"

if you were intelligent, you wouldn't stereotype against somebody you thought was a fratboy, hipster, transplant, euro-trash, homo, or whatever bullshit stereotyping goes on on the BV message boards

HATERS

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 11:45 AM

>10:17 -- explore irony BRO. Makes life more interesting.

ha. aww, irony. when you understand the true definition of the word, beyond wearing campy rock t-shirts and hanging on bedford and the les, you let us know. k, bro?

and as for this > most frat boys are closet homosexuals anyways. drinking, pal-ing around and spanking each other. you tell me.

haha, it's absolutely true. whatcha think of that, bro? kinda ironic, huh?

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 11:50 AM

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 12:04 PM

11:45, I am intelligent. Intelligent to know frat boys are silly.

take that!

Posted by jim | May 1, 2008 12:13 PM

comments are fucking stupid!

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 12:15 PM

"definition of a frat boy = likes to party and have crazy sex with hot girls -- tell me how that is a bad thing?"

No, a frat boy is someone who pays for his friends with whom he parties, in hopes of getting "crazy sex". Anyone who'd join a frat is (socially) retarded.

Posted by Mark B. | May 1, 2008 12:15 PM

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 12:32 PM

It's hilarious that somebody who "lives near the venue" thought they could waltz up and get tickets. You think that waiting in line for a hot minute is going to get you into seeing Madonna at a teeny (for her) venue.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 12:37 PM

what about Pearl Jam at Irving Plaza two years ago?

30 minutes set after you waited 2 day on the line- LOL

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 12:56 PM

"Who has this much money to spend on a 7 song set!"

"hello and welcome to nyc. people here have money and lots of it."

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 1:03 PM

>>No, people in New York dilute themselves into thinking they have lots of money. Like you.

um, no. i myself do not have a lot of money. i have a little, just enough actually, to get by living here. however, many many many people do have a ton of money who work in certain job arenas which pay well. apparently, that ain't yourself. cry me a river, bros.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 1:24 PM

I'M right, and YOU ALL are wrong!! End of discussion!!

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 2:07 PM

i'm right.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 3:14 PM

"Anon 11:33 AM, we're tired of you commenting on every other post here trying to prove you're right on every subject and others are wrong. Please get a life!

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 12:04 PM"

Amazingly a person who claims to speak for everyone is telling someone else to get a life. Thats rich. And where is that wonderful life of yours Anon 12:04 that you spend your time reading this entire blog and trying to figure out which anon posters are one and the same? Stupid loser motherfucker.

"what about Pearl Jam at Irving Plaza two years ago?

30 minutes set after you waited 2 day on the line- LOL

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 12:56 PM"

Pearl Jam played more than 30 minutes at Irving Plaza.

"people who post anonymously on blogs that they're having lots of hot sex with hot girls usually in real life aren't getting laid.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 12:32 PM"

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 4:32 PM

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 12:32 PM"

"Keep telling yourself that to make it less painful the fact that you do not get laid, Mr Freud."

There fore it seems rather clear that those who post on an indy music blog as a 'Frat Boy getting laid all the time' is reallly a nerdy indy music type who hasn't gotten laid in years.

Nuff said.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 4:57 PM

don't tase me, bro

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 5:04 PM

HAH

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 5:27 PM

"If I was getting laid every night by a hot model the last thing in the world I would feel the need to do is anonymously mention it on a music blog.

Nuff said."

Yeah nuff said if you are a lunatic. Dude, how did a person saying they got laid by their gf last night turn into a frat boy saying they get laid by a hot model every night??????

Shithead,just because Albert Hoffman died this week did not mean you had to increase the doseage in tribute.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2008 6:18 PM

Dude, Bros be dilute-ed. BRO!!!!

[IMG]http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j72/phenumpkin/Fratboys_03Full.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by livin XLG in money makin manhattan | May 1, 2008 10:39 PM

Just want to give a shout out

How is everyone?

(I sense tension)

Life's too short to stun or wound a bro

embrace irony but also sincereity, everyone can be honest... fraternity = brotherhood, remembner

Dale