Posted in music | pictures on May 27, 2008

photos by Kyle Dean Reinford

Flaming Lips

Josh Ritter and NOT Franz Nicolay

RJD2
Jam on the River

WARNING: This post contains nudity, jam bands and adult situations.

Jam on the River is an annual two-day music festival in Philadelphia. This year (May 24-25, 2008) the bill featured RJD2, Disco Biscuits, Josh Ritter and many others... including The Flaming Lips. Kyle took some pictures and the rest of them are below.....

and now a word from our sponsor (Captain Morgan)

Josh Ritter....

Lotus....

Grimace Federation....

Disco Biscuits....

Deadmau5...

Bassnectar...

The Avett Brothers...

and more Flaming Lips...

Jam on the River

...and even more Flaming Lips (also NSFW), RIGHT HERE.

Grimace Federation are badass.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 3:08 PM

Some really nice shots. Thanks for posting.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 3:14 PM

naked ladies

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 3:30 PM

so why did chicks get naked again??

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 4:00 PM

im in love with that brunette with curly hair, next to last pic. so pretty

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 4:04 PM

a great couple of days

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 4:05 PM

is this a philly photographer? he shoots a lot better than ryan muir or bao. and its not just because they're mostly daytime shots either, the flaming lips ones are great too...

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 4:07 PM

i dont know about that, i think Bao is better, as is leia jospe, ryan is so so. lot of these pics aint great. if bao was at this show he would have destroyed this guy with his pics.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 4:16 PM

so why did chicks get naked again??

Wayne said (and i am paraphrasing) - When I was ten, it was the first time i heard this Led Zepplin song, and I thought that this is the kind of song that women would come out and dance naked to. I have talked to the promoters and, i am not saying you should do this, but no one would get in trouble if they wanted to dance naked and then put their clothes back on...

They then launched into a fairly decent cover of "The Song Remains the Same" with some 70's style video in the back. About 2/3rd's of the way through the girl on the video got naked and out came the 4 naked girls.

Posted by macca | May 27, 2008 4:19 PM

Bao is king.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 4:19 PM

I cannot imagine the amount of blow those girls just did.

Posted by Meow | May 27, 2008 4:22 PM

bad music/ugly people overload.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 4:49 PM

Reinford is actually an NYC photographer out of Brooklyn, and this is definitely an impressive shoot. Love the focus on the faces of the musicians, not just the spectacle.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 6:19 PM

Disco Biscuits were absolutely god fucking awful, and I had eaten an eighth of shrooms.. Their fans must be totally brain dead. I don't know how anyone can get so pumped for a band that takes one riff and turns it into a 20 min song. Their set felt like a 4 hour carousel ride from hell. The Lips made up for it tho

Posted by crunchy jam | May 27, 2008 6:24 PM

Bao for president.

Posted by Wiz | May 27, 2008 7:13 PM

lol at the dude w. 3 snare drums

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 7:52 PM

The Disco Biscuits are not an easy band to get into, but I'd recommend you take a listen to this recent show:

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 10:04 PM

really somewhat disappointed at the quality of nudity in this post. you see that "warning" up top and it builds so much anticipation... only to be let down.

Posted by James | May 28, 2008 12:10 AM

some people should never be seen naked

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2008 1:28 AM

Amazing!....I seemed to see she had a personal account on hot hook-up club W E A L T H Y F I N D E R. C O M for wealthy singles/celebs with her sexy photos. The blog was updated very often. lots of guys joined in her friend circle there.

Posted by Jessica | May 28, 2008 1:39 AM

Thank you for posting the pictures of the Lips, they are awesome. It was worth the wait and hassle of standing up front all day to see them. The one of the girls from the left side of the stage, the little girl in that picture is my daughter. I managed to get her up on stage, but of course I didn't bring my camera. You don't happen to have any more pictures of the dancers do you?

Posted by Greg Baxter | May 28, 2008 9:02 AM

being naked is perfectly natural and liberating. lets hope this starts a trend, for ex lets see much more of this at McCarren Pool this summer. what do you guys think, yes?

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2008 9:16 AM

Grimace Federation rule!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Me | May 28, 2008 11:04 AM

Jam bands are the truth. All the haters out there let the crowd and the clientele get in the way of the music. That's just so amateur. It's like people who hate on Dave Matthews Band b/c their fans are so brutal (which I won't argue). How can one not be able to separate the music from the audience? True musicians and music lovers appreciate improvisation. Everyone is in too much of a god damn hurry these days...everyone needs a quick fix from a catchy, 3-4 minute song. Start the song...end it...and move on to the next one.

Of course jam bands are going to spit out some awful shit here and there. It comes with the territory. But when you're a true musician or music fan, you can appreciate the CREATION of this great art, and you have the patience to watch the band create it in your presence. That's the key: Patience. Because when these jam bands do hit the right groove and they finally click on all cylinders, the payoff is extraordinary, because you just WATCHED it happen.

Not all jam bands are super-heady stoner bands, like Phish and the Dead. Led Zepplin used to bang out 20 minute guitar and drum solos too...and it seems that no one in this indie era would have been able to handle that either. What a god damn shame.

Posted by Bisco | May 28, 2008 11:18 AM

There was no jam band like the Dead. I saw them various times between 1971 and 1978 and they could be awfully good or just OK. When they were on no one could touch them. I really went to see the Flaming Lips and hadn't thought of the Disco Biscuits until I heard about the change of schedule. So I went to the website and listened to some of their stuff and thought that it's pretty good. But, they were so loud on Saturday that I had to cover my ears most of the time. It sounded good, a bit repetitious at times but it was lost in the volume. I know that they can't sing but the vocals were completely lost in the mix. I was really hoping to like them, but came away not too impressed.

Posted by Greg Baxter | May 28, 2008 12:15 PM

"But when you're a true musician or music fan, you can appreciate the CREATION of this great art, "

What great art? I've been to more than a couple jamband shows, and the bands just ended up playing in circles getting into a "groove" without really "creating" anywhere. Real improvisation is about composition, not "grooving." When bands like Sonic Youth improvise, they always come to a point. Not so the Disco Biscuits.

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2008 12:21 PM

"Some people should never be seen naked."
I really hope you're not talking about anyone in these photos. These people are beautiful and they look like they are having a great time! Good for them!

Posted by Say Wha? | June 16, 2008 11:30 PM

Great photos!

Posted by buy adult diapers | January 28, 2009 7:08 PM

I was really hoping to like them, but came away not too impressed.

Posted by msn nickleri | February 17, 2009 3:11 PM

Did they let any boys get on stage naked also and dance with the chicks? Hot!!

Posted by wonderboy | March 6, 2010 4:55 PM

I was really hoping to like them, but came away not too impressed.

Posted by سعودي كول | September 17, 2010 11:21 AM

I was really hoping to like them, but came away not too impressed.

Posted by عرب قيرلز | October 17, 2010 5:11 AM

Islam is a religion of peace

Posted by منتديات | February 24, 2011 4:30 AM

Posted by проститутки киева | February 24, 2011 5:44 AM

goo man ^^

Posted by انمي | February 28, 2011 10:19 PM

Wonderful post and the location is beautiful and elegant in design and information and everything>>> to Favorites
Amazing is an enormous understatement. One of the best electronic shows I've ever been to and I've seen well over a thousand concerts. I had no idea Vladislav Delay was as good a drummer & percussionist as he is- fabulous and he kept everything swinging with a very unique style of playing. If you missed this you missed out big time...
===================

Posted by Elkema | March 22, 2011 12:15 PM

I was really hoping to like them, but came away not too impressed

Posted by cool | April 24, 2012 7:19 AM