Posted in music | tour dates on May 6, 2008

My Bloody Valentine

Tickets for California and Toronto are already listed. All tour dates below....

My Bloody Valentine - 2008 Tour Dates
07-03-06 Roskilde, Denmark - Roskilde Festival
07-09 Paris, France - Zenith
07-17-20 Benicàssim, Spain - Festival Internacional de Benicàssim
07-25 Naeba, Japan - Fuji Rock Festival
08-08 Oslo, Norway - Øya Festival
09-05 Isle of Wight, England - Bestival
09-19-21 Monticello, NY - Kutshers Country Club (ATP New York) (back on sale)
09-22 New York, NY - Roseland
09-23 New York, NY - Roseland

09-25 Toronto, Ontario - Ricoh
09-27 Chicago, IL - Aragon Ballroom
09-30 San Francisco, CA - The Concourse
10-01 Los Angeles, CA - Santa Monica Civic
10-02 Los Angeles, CA - Santa Monica Civic

"And don't forget the Kevin Shields/Patti Smith meetup The Coral Sea, which blows up a compact-disc-reading device near you on July 11 via the pair's own PASK imprint." [Pitchfork]

sound at roseland sucks.
haha for people who didn't think they'd play nyc.

now no one else needs to say that, okay?

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2008 1:55 PM

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2008 1:56 PM

fucking roseland. oh well... at least now this won't be a stream of Terminal 5 jokes.

Posted by rocked the shit | May 6, 2008 1:56 PM

Where's Obama?

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2008 1:57 PM

ROSELAND?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First Sigur Ros now this. I don't complain about venues, I mean, hell, T5 is cool but Hammerstein and Roseland for those bands ....... not cool.

Posted by b.LOUD | May 6, 2008 1:57 PM

Could be worse, we get the Aragon, i.e. the shittiest sounding venue anywhere

Posted by Chicago | May 6, 2008 1:59 PM

I HOPE VAMPIRE WEEKEND OPENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2008 2:00 PM

the Grand Ballroom is not the same as Hammerstein Ballroom! It is above it and the sound is great. The place is carpeted and has a balcony going all the way around. I think the venue is perfect!

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2008 2:04 PM

might as well play in a blimp hangar.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2008 2:08 PM

i second 2:04.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2008 2:09 PM

roseland> aragon

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2008 2:13 PM

Yeah, my bad about Sigur Ros @ Hammerstein -- jumping to conclusions I guess but Roseland ........ still not cool.

Posted by b.LOUD | May 6, 2008 2:14 PM

how does roseland handle white noise?

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2008 2:18 PM

Or a band that thinks volume is really the hold-over for technical skill in a live show?

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2008 2:19 PM

Agreed, Roseland is lame.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2008 2:21 PM

whatever, i'd see them play in the toilet if that's where the show took place.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2008 2:25 PM

MBV should've put out around 6 more albums, people could realize that they're not that great, and all of this lure could be squashed. Seriously guys, the mystique of Kevin Shields is greater than the actual music. Uggghhh!

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2008 2:26 PM

You don't need a good sounding venue for MBV it's all kinda distorted/noisy anyways.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2008 2:29 PM

^^ that needs to be said more often. had they continued to put out albums, that would have been much more apparent.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2008 2:30 PM

MBV were never that great live, especially their sound. It was muddy to begin with, and I can't imagine how it will sound in Roseland. That said, I will still be going to see them again.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2008 2:31 PM

People are such idiots. Why even bother posting if you don't like the band? fuck off.

I saw them a long time ago with Dinosaur Jr at the Ritz and it was a really great show.

Looking forward to seeing them despite the venue choice.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2008 2:34 PM

I saw My Bloody Valentine at University of London in 1988 (i think) and was one of the best shows I have ever seen.
And the sound was great.
I wouldn't want to see em now though. Sod that. No way pedro.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2008 2:40 PM

i like noise

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2008 2:40 PM

I am going to be the contrarian here and say that I have heard a lot of shitty sounding shows at Roseland, but also a lot of amazing ones. In fact Placebo on the last tour may have been the best sounding show I have ever heard in any venue.

I think the problem is that a lot of sound people don't know how to deal with the quirks of that venue, and the fact that it is one huge hangar.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2008 2:43 PM

Roseland isn't THAT bad.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2008 2:47 PM

Anyone know when nyc dates go on sale? Tx!

Posted by Rachel | May 6, 2008 2:48 PM

Btw kids, Roseland and the Grand Ballroom at Manhattan Center (also home to Hammerstain Ballroom) are not the same place.....

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2008 2:49 PM

I thought the sound was pretty good the last time YYYs played @ Roseland.

Also, news of a Toronto date has turned this day into an awesome one. Thanks, BV.

Posted by Mark B. | May 6, 2008 2:54 PM

i have seen a shit load of good sounding shows at roseland. people like to complain.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2008 3:21 PM

Roseland is definitely terrible, but MBV are very interesting live. They are not a Shearwater chamber music band. (No offense to Shearwater.., they put on the most inspiring performance I've seen all year last night). MBV is old fashioned noise and have always had troubles with the live thing. I saw both shows they put on at the Ritz a long time ago when a band like VW would have been nothing but a joke. VW look like they are getting ready to play tennis at a racist country club. "Gin and Tonics anyone?" MBV first played with Pavement and Superchunk. Unbelievable right? Then they opened for Dinosaur Jr later. Ear bleeding noise but absolutely beautiful... like watching a slow motion film of fields of flowers blooming to the sound of a thousand chain saws. Guided by Voices pulled off Roseland opening for Cheap Trick, why can't MBV?

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2008 3:22 PM

Because GBV weren't a self-obsessed Shoegazing pretensious sack of suds. That band was built to entertain. That being said, Loveless is a fucking great album, but we're talking apples vs. oranges here.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2008 3:30 PM

>>Two nights at Roseland is a big stretch for them. The shows might sell out, but I bet people will be dumping tickets before the shows. They are popular, but not that popular. <<

ha...you fool... tickets will be gone in less than a day !

Posted by RT | May 6, 2008 3:39 PM

"racist country club?" right 3:22, because all rich and preppy people are contractually obligated to also be racist.

look people, there is no band alive that's into their 8th or 10th album that hasn't put out a few duds, or weakened with time. had slint been making records every two years all this time, they'd probably have a 90% unlistenable catalog today. and had cobain been alive today, he might be sharing the fate of chris cornell for all we know - there is no proof he'd still be releasing great records. now, MBV put out two great records and fell apart, so let's see some respect here for a band whose output was tiny but stellar.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2008 3:46 PM

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2008 3:48 PM

and dan deacon is the next motzart...i like em but c'mon

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2008 4:10 PM

how much? The tix for the LA show are 48 bucks.. ouch. Roseland sound ain't that bad.. the last time i saw them when I was like 19, ouch I am getting old, was either Roseland or The Ritz (when it was at Studio54).

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2008 4:22 PM

when do tix go on sale?

Posted by loveless | May 6, 2008 4:24 PM

Anon 3:48

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2008 4:25 PM

and i mean when do NYC tix go on sale? anyone know?

Posted by loveless | May 6, 2008 4:26 PM

First, you are an F@(KTARD!

I'd take that nostalgia trip over your flash-in-the-pan field trip ANY DAY!

Dan Deacon is equivalent to the towel boy of a high school basketball team.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2008 4:30 PM

"Anon 3:48
and dan deacon, crystal castles and gogol bordello most definitely have albums that sound sound as modern and brilliant as loveless. I'm sure you would prefer super taranta."

HHAHHAHHAHH!!!! gosh are you that pathetic and desperate to even add that? Crystal Castles? are you serious??? fuckwit hipster kids obsessed with teletext.

HHAHHAHHAHHHHAHHAHHAHHHHAHHAHHAHHHHAHHAHHAHHHHAHHAHHAHHHHAHHAHHAHHHHAHHAHHAHHHHAHHAHHAHHHHAHHAHHAHHHHAHHAHHAHHHHAHHAHHAHHHHAHHAHHAHHHHAHHAHHAHH

Posted by CrystalCastlesSUCK | May 6, 2008 4:31 PM

obviously these are comments from people who have never seen Crystal Castles or Dan Deacon live.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2008 4:39 PM

obviously these are comments from people who assume that just because some douchey people make a band and get hip that they are all of sudden groundbreaking when in fact ar just wastes of tissue and air. though loveless sounds dated partially at times now, CC and DD just would never have that timeless quality. both are the ugly neck scarves that everyone still sports and they sell at Forever 21 and are kind of gay. and not gay in the cool i do my own gender way. gay in the judy garland passed out in her own vomit after too many sleeping pills gay.

Posted by CrystalCastlesSUCK | May 6, 2008 5:15 PM

saw MBV at Empire in Cleveland for Loveless and it was awesome! hope this is great as I remember. i am very excited...oh am I aloud to like Dan Deacon, too? i am confused with the 'this is better than that all the time' crap on these forums...can't people just get excited about stuff they like? why so divisive? i called Obama, he should be here shortly...

Posted by JM | May 6, 2008 5:18 PM

fuck!!! roseland sucks! still going to see them though.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2008 5:50 PM

right on 5:18. music is not a competition. chill and let people enjoy what they like.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2008 5:53 PM

i would prefer it if no one enjoyed anything.

tell me what you like, i will try my hardest to defame it.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2008 6:03 PM

"Two nights at Roseland is a big stretch for them. The shows might sell out, but I bet people will be dumping tickets before the shows. They are popular, but not that popular."

Hahahahah. Watch. They will fucking ADD dates.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2008 7:26 PM

I swore off Roseland nine years ago. Looks like I'll have to go back now.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2008 7:35 PM

Anon 4:31

Its called sarcasm, because I most definitely like a shitty hipster group over my favorite band.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2008 7:44 PM

How long will they play? They have 1 album clocking in at less than one hour...

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2008 8:18 PM

In response to the fucktard who said "How long will they play? They have 1 album clocking in at less than one hour..."

Yeah, you're stupid. Go look up their discography and then never speak again for being so dumb.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2008 8:42 PM

""well whatever, Id rather see Dan Deacon Crystal Castles and Gogol Bordello for 30 bucks or whatever it is in Philly. This is just a nostalgia trip."

One less retard that won't go see MBV... Good, very good.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2008 10:03 PM

wow....they definitely picked the worst venue in the city to play these shows, bummer......

Posted by jimmy | May 7, 2008 12:50 AM

but really when do tickets go on sale for NYC, someone please help me out.

Posted by boardyouth | May 7, 2008 1:56 AM

Roseland isn't the best but they could not be playing at all. So i'm glad they are. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that some larger then life opener that was influenced by/peers of theres might get added like Mogwai or Portishead?!?! that would RULE!!!

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2008 2:19 AM

Tickets are on sale this Friday at 10am (only the second show in NYC is listed right now)

Posted by adrien | May 7, 2008 10:22 AM

"Go look up their discography and then never speak again for being so dumb."

Yeah, but how many "fans" own another MBV album besides Loveless?

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2008 10:29 AM

Both shows are up on Ticketmaster now...$52...sort of high, but I guess around what The Jesus and Mary Chain was as well...I'm down.

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2008 10:46 AM

"Isn't Anything" (imho) is a better record.

Posted by drewo | May 7, 2008 10:48 AM

Both on sale Fri at 10 am

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2008 10:50 AM

Woo-hoo!

Posted by adamvk | May 7, 2008 11:08 AM

damn... $52 + services fees. Not worth it. I'm saving my money for Portishead.

Posted by rocked the shit | May 7, 2008 11:14 AM

Tix are $52?! Plus service charge! That is such bullshit!

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2008 11:23 AM

Maybe they're using regular gas on the tour and have to compensate for gas prices. They should use that biodiesel crap like Dave Matthews. Kevin shields actually said that he isn't concerned about the environment b/c there's nothing we can do to reverse global warming anyway. Terrible attitude, that Kevin!

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2008 11:34 AM

Yeah, but The Dave Matthews Bus shits on people, which can't be good for anyone, much less the environment.

$52+ is alot of money. That's not very nice.

Posted by pal:ndrøm23 | May 7, 2008 11:42 AM

AGHHHHHHH how can you mention that name Dave Matthew's you ruined my day. $52.00 for MBV..... 1c a day for the next 14years or so years you can be a nerd and say you saw them:)

better than paying $500 to see them in a field upstate for ATP

Posted by willygoat | May 7, 2008 3:42 PM

Hey Anon May 7, 2008 11:34 AM, where did Shields say that about the environment? Just curious.

Posted by JM | May 7, 2008 8:29 PM

If that quote attributed to Shields by Anon 11.34am is true, while it may sound cynical, as far as I understand it, it's not incorrect. Even Al Gore would agree that we've passed the no-turning-back mark. In his film he announces the projection that we will cross the threashold in "10 years." But then as it happened, the salient carbon levels were crossed shortly before his acceptance of the Nobel, and the event was reported on the same day (!), to everyone's chagrin. While it'll take a while to fully play out (like 50-200 years), given current projections, we're kinda fucked.

KS is sorta right that groundswells of shifting self-conscious consumer habits among those who can afford choices have relatively no impact. At this point it's in the hands of emerging industry and policy makers - here and in the developing world(!) - to engender shifts toward recovery AT SCALE. Beyond that the best we can do is to arm the next civilizations to emerge after the fall with a tool kit for sustainable development in the same way we were prepped by the greeks, romans and european renaissance.

I wouldn't hate Kevin for not embracing a fashionable (even if noble) idea. But I WOULD resent his managment for agreeing to Roseland. There's no good reason for anyone not to book with Bowery Presents anymore, especially now that they book at nearly every scale. They're the only booking organization in town that gives a fuck about a concert-goer's experience and has their shit remotely together. For all it's shortcomings, T5 is better, after all.

As for an expensive ticket, blame the Federal Reserve and GWB. MBV has to pay their bills at home in pounds.

Sorry to go so far off topic, but at least I'm not shitting on other people's taste, right?

Posted by mgc | May 8, 2008 2:57 AM

Roseland does SUCK kiddies. It's a flat ballroom floor w general admission. It's totally overpriced, the sound sucks and if your under 5'11" you'll never see a thing unless you want to fight your way up to the stage...which is fairly easy at most shoegazer events.

Anyway- see ya'll there!!!

Posted by jamespaul | May 8, 2008 2:50 PM

who wants to let me stay with them when i fly up for this show

Posted by fml | May 8, 2008 9:57 PM

Are you a hot chick, fml? If so, do you put out?

Posted by dirty old man | May 8, 2008 10:05 PM

maybe and no but i'm okay sleeping on floors

Posted by fml | May 9, 2008 1:50 AM

"better than paying $500 to see them in a field upstate for ATP

Posted by willygoat | May 7, 2008 3:42 PM"

"There's no good reason for anyone not to book with Bowery Presents anymore, especially now that they book at nearly every scale. They're the only booking organization in town that gives a fuck about a concert-goer's experience and has their shit remotely together. For all it's shortcomings, T5 is better, after all"

Sorry i have to take major exception to that statement. T5 sucks.You want to say it is better than Roseland that is fine. It really is looking at 2 giant turds and picking one over the other. Shit is still shit. Bowery used to be about giving a fuck about the concert goers experience.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2008 3:33 AM

Monday and Tuesday ? I can't go : (

Posted by Crane | May 9, 2008 7:55 AM

"Only a retarded fucking shit for brains would make a comment like that. Are you fucking kidding me? First of all, Roseland sucks. Dont try to sugarcoat it in any way. The louder the band in that place the worse the sound is. Who said ATP was 500 dollars? I paid 240 or so for a ticket and i am ride sharing with 4 people every day seeing as its literally an hour and a half each way. The show upstate is going to be so much better and so many great bands are playing along with MBV. willygoat you are truly an idiot. ATP is gonna be ridiculously great."

Don't get your knickers in a twist !! Did I say it was not going to be not great you 'retard' . See you at ATP fucktard :) p.s with a roon it works out to be $500... Hope you enjoy not drinking if your driving up there you prick

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2008 6:05 PM

"ha...you fool... tickets will be gone in less than a day !"

Who is the fool now? You dumb asswipe, two days after the onsale, tickets for both shows are still not sold out. Hate to say I told you so, but I TOLD YOU SO. hahahahahaha

They will sell out eventually, but people will be giving away tickets at the door day off.

Posted by Anonymous | May 11, 2008 10:08 AM

Kevin didn't say he was anti-environment. In a UK show called Soft Focus, he talks about his personal views of our society. See link below.

Posted by Anonymous | May 11, 2008 10:21 AM

Hey fool, it's still not sold out. Eat crow.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2008 12:36 PM

Doesn't the Roseland hold 3,200 people? If they are playing there two nights in a row following ATP (3,000 tickets being sold), that is a lot of MBV tickets. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here. Despite how great MBV being back is, to me it is not surprising this isn't sold out just yet.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2008 5:52 PM

52$ at Roseland, NYC!? Since when do they command like Coldplay type pop shit level prices for their tickets?! As a fan of low priced tics, I'm sadly disappointed. Take a page from Fugazi guys. You are awesome, but 52$ awesome? No.

Posted by John | July 14, 2008 12:34 AM

-arguing kevin shields musical technicalities is like doing the same for the ramones. if ya are complaining about playing ability you are missing the whole point of shoegaze and they were not makin music for you anyway, metalhead.

-coltrane could not read music. does that mean his albums were not important/beautiful?

-if mbv sounded muddy live it was the soundguy's fault.

-portishead even in their prime were no mbv.

-kevin is correct about our solar system heating & the environment, love to see you argue w/ a scientist/astrologist about this as well.

in matters of taste there can be no dispute.

Posted by grow up | August 1, 2008 3:21 PM

Dear grow up:
Bad news, Coltrane could read music, he attended a renowned Conservatory in Philly

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2008 8:28 PM

A whole lot of girls I've had sex with loved My Bloody Valentine. Although they can't possibly as good as they were when I saw them back in their prime (who is?) that's reason enough to see them again after 15+ years. A pilgrimage, if you will.

Posted by Anonymous | September 19, 2008 6:22 PM

Anyone know who's opening for them at Roseland tomorrow? It's a terrible venue agreed, but I haven't seen them in like 17 years so can't miss this. (Best show I saw them play was at Maxwell's years before Loveless)

Posted by Edward Douglas | September 21, 2008 12:29 PM