Posted in music | pictures | video on May 8, 2008

Neil Diamond @ the Bitter End

The last picture I posted was taken slightly before Neil's MySpace Secret Show in NYC last night. Here's some more officially-released photos from inside and out, and a review posted on the Neil Diamond Homepage.com Blog...

Tonight's show rocked!! The setlist was comprised of seven songs (see below) and both Neil and the crowd were rocking!

Neil was introduced by Paul Colby, a former owner of the Bitter End. For the show Neil wore black slacks, shirt and a brown leather jacket. Neil played guitar the entire show. Tonight's band was composed of Alan, Doug, Reine, Smokey Hormel and Matt Sweeny.

This was truly a memorable day for our man on the streets and for the other fans who were able to attend this once in a lifetime show. I am sure that all those who attended are truly grateful to Neil for giving them this special evening. All patrons received a numbered Home By Dark/Bitter End poster at the end of the show. Our man on the street received number 296 out of 300.

Final setlist for the show was as follows:

Solitary Man
Don't Go There
Home Before Dark
Pretty Amazing Grace
Kentucky Woman
Cherry, Cherry
Sweet Caroline

Footage from the show will be streaming on MySpace next week, but in the meantime check out the rest of the photos and YouTube videos from the show below.....

Neil Diamond @ the Bitter End

Neil Diamond @ the Bitter End

Neil Diamond @ the Bitter End

Neil Diamond @ the Bitter End

Neil Diamond @ the Bitter End

Neil Diamond @ the Bitter End

B E S T

S H O W

E V E R

I mean best show ever in the history of concerts. Like the second coming of Jesus. People literally banging down the doors trying to get in. I am sure Beatles concerts had nothing on this show. Seriously if you missed this show you will regret it for the rest of your life. 30 minutes of insanity, joy, and pure exhiliration. The most rocking show ever. I can't even contain myself today it was so magical. I keep pinching myself to make sure i am not dreaming.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 1:43 PM

"For the show Neil wore black slacks, shirt and a brown leather jacket."

The word slacks is so gross! Ewwww!

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 1:44 PM

is that the same matt sweeny who was in chavez?

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 1:55 PM

no "Love on the Rocks"? big, big surprise!

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 1:56 PM

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 2:03 PM

I see about 300 shows a year and this 30 minute Neil Diamond set blew me away and was the best thing I think I have ever seen.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 2:05 PM

Looks like more people showed up for this than for all the Sean Bell shooting protests combined.

Posted by The Man | May 8, 2008 2:06 PM

Thanks for all the Neil Diamond coverage. The man, and his music, have stood the test of time.

Posted by drewo | May 8, 2008 2:09 PM

Did he mention that his creativity is fueled by his massive hatred of immigrants?

No, I will leave you IN.

Posted by MusicSnobbery | May 8, 2008 2:11 PM

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 2:23 PM

"I was the first commenter and of course i was being sarcastic but i hope to holy hell that Anon 2:05 and drewo were being sarcastic as well. If not may i suggest you 2 are ummmm total idiots. From the clips that shit looked actually sort of boring. "

one day you will grow up and aquire some taste.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 2:27 PM

My earliest memories of Neil Diamond is his being used as an intentionally ironic example of the somewhat mildly less squareness of Long Island yuppie psychiatrist Dr. Jason Seaver's (as portrayed by Alan Thicke in the 80's sitcom Growing Pains) youth as compared to his completely square adulthood/middle age. I wish I was fortunate enough to have had square yuppie parents who would have fostered my appreciation for Neil and all things safe, whitebread and square. Instead I have had to assemble, from scratch, a tepid upper middle class persona after being kicked out of my parents house as an adolescent for being "uptight." Neil has been the one constant along my rocky path to the middle of the road. I thank him for this. No, I love him for this.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 2:28 PM

Forgive, I am not a Hater by profession, but I am seriously mystified by this pompous dreckmeister's reemergence as the darling of Indie Rock!

Posted by schlep | May 8, 2008 2:33 PM

maybe if Neil keeps singing "Sweet Caroline" he can make David Ortiz start to hit again.

Posted by a frog who dreamed he was a king and then became one | May 8, 2008 2:36 PM

"one day you will grow up and aquire some taste.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 2:27 PM"

What a total shit for brains

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 2:39 PM

Where's his cape?

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 2:42 PM

"I see about 300 shows a year..."

stop wasting your life.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 2:45 PM

"maybe if Neil keeps singing "Sweet Caroline" he can make David Ortiz start to hit again"

Ummm . . . he is hitting .314 over the last 20 games.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 2:48 PM

"is that the same matt sweeny who was in chavez?"

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 2:57 PM

Neil Diamond=legend from Brooklyn

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 3:21 PM

or, Neil Sedaka=legend from Brooklyn

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 3:34 PM

Neil Diamond = Biggie

spreading love the Brooklyn way, touching me, touching you

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 3:45 PM

"spreading love the Brooklyn way" = bedbugs

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 3:47 PM

The new album really is awesome.I am not saying that in any sort of ironic way at all.Those that judge him by his late 70's and 80's music are really missing the fact that Neil Diamond is very good at writing about certain subjects:loneliness and breakups and search for roots and meaning in life.I listen to Home Before Dark at these long Dylan type epic songs and am amazing at how Neil at 67 was able to get these deep and complicated emotions out in such a raw and honest way."It's time for saying goodbye/Cause if I stayed for too long/You'd get to know me too well/And find that something was wrong/The time is perfect to go/before the curtain descends/Right now,when both of us know /that everything's got to end".Beautiful lyrics.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 3:50 PM

"sounds good, but from those pics it looks like they could have fit a couple of more people in?"

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 4:01 PM

Sorry to seem like a hater but here were not hundreds watching from the outside. Less than that. I was one of them and it was because i just happened to be walking by and i stopped to listen which is what many of the people outside were up to as well. Bleeker Street at that time of night is well crowded. Hell a car accident would have had the same number of people crowded around watching.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 4:11 PM

Could someone upload him doing "Solitary Man".

You think that with Johnny Cash getting a grammy for his verson and Crooked Fingers totally killing it,the song would be popular enough for atleast one person to upload on youtube.Plus it would be interesting to compare the live Bitter End performance from 1967 to the performance from last night.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 4:11 PM

Who cares about the too-cool-for-Neil Bleeker Street?Neil will play 3 nights at Madison Square Garden in August and there will be 15,000 people there every night.Including me.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 4:14 PM

Thats right Anon 4:14pm and so will my mom and my dad and all their friends and i think even my grandmother is going. I hope you get lucky with a 47 year old cougar out on the prowl that night. Good luck.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 4:25 PM

memo to myself:
watch "neil diamond parking lot" tonight.

Posted by un:art:ig | May 8, 2008 4:29 PM

Anon 4:25,I hope that I get lucky with a 47 year old "mature" lady too (as long as she is decent looking,and maybe rich).

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 4:39 PM

"If they wanted more people,all they had to do was open the door tho the hundreds watching from outside."

They did open the door. And the windows and put one of the speakers facing the folks outside.

Really once the show started and the people outside realized that they could see and hear everything it suddenly didn't matter so much anymore if you were inside or out. The people on the sidewalk really weren't that much farther away from him than the people inside in the back of the club.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 4:45 PM

There weren't that many people outside watching the show because no one expected that the club at the last minute would do something that cool. Most people would have assumed that if you didn't get in then you didn't see the show. Even people that were on line for a while and didn't get in went home not knowing that they would have been able to see the show in its entirety from the sidewalk had they stayed around. If this fact were known ahead of time there would have been a hell of a lot more people there outside.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 4:49 PM

Anon 4:49pm. Assuming Assuming Assuming....blah blah blah. Glad you speak for everyone.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 5:07 PM

right because it's not a common understanding that if the newspapers and the blogs said Free Neil Diamond open air concert on the street tonight- show up at show time, rather than free Neil Diamond concert in 125 capacity tiny club-stand on line all day, there would be no difference in turn out?

I think that everyone in their right mind would expect something quite different of the sidewalk crowd at show time had this information been advertised ahead of time.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 5:12 PM

If this was announced earlier in the day as free 9pm sidewalk Neil Diamond show there would have been a riot there.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 5:14 PM

This show literally did stop traffic.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 5:14 PM

Anyone remember Sweeney's earlier band "Skunk". One of the last Twin Tone signings.. freakin amazing.

Posted by TwinTone | May 8, 2008 5:15 PM

Anon 5:12pm and 5:14pm haha i dont know if there would be a riot but you can assume again. We will never know will we. But lets take an example from an earlier thread. Elton John or Barry Manilow playing The Bitter End for free tonite. That could be announced now and there would be lines literally 3 or 4 blocks long within an hour.

Frankly though you could put No Age out on the sidewalk on Bleeker street tonite playing and it would stop traffic. That street is packed with NYU students, tourist yayhoos etc. Fucking 2 guys playing cans as drums on the street would garner a crowd.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 5:32 PM

Elton John maybe but Barry Manilow, I don't think so.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 5:41 PM

Manilow doesn't have anywhere near the hipster cred that Diamond has.

and Elton,well he's kind of in a different class anyway.

Not the best two comparisons I'm afraid.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 5:46 PM

Manilow's "New York City Rhythm" is a stone cold (New York) classic.

Beyond that... I can't help you.

Posted by drewo | May 8, 2008 5:52 PM

Soccer moms have other commitments, usually aren't reading blogs all day and can't drop everything to run and stand on line for a 35 minute Neil Diamond show. Besides you can't park your SUV in The Village before 7pm anyway.

that's what seriously scaled back the crowds.

Yes Neil has hipster cred these days, but thta's a relatively small percentage of his real main audience. The people that are making his album NUMBER ONE this week aren't the hipsters that were waiting on line yesterday. The people that will fill MSG for three nights in the summer are not the type of people that will be able to or want to interrupt their lives for something like a last minute short show in the Village.

Just as in most other things, it's all about placement, timing and environment. The lucky 200 or so 20 somethings that saw the show last night from the inside or outside of the venue are not a fair representation of his larger fan base.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 5:53 PM

according to Billboard he's set to have the number one album in the country. This would displace Madonna.

I'm sure a pretty good number of those people pushing his record to number one would have gone last night if they could have.

Just sayin'.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 5:56 PM

I bet that the MSG crowd will be mixed nuts.Neil has a diverse audience.There are the Jack Black type of 30 something fans.50 something bearded Classic Rock fans.Light FM soccer moms.Old people.Young people.Mixed.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 5:59 PM

Anyone who is trying to make the point that there weren't thousands of fans rushing the door and that the show last night ended up being really easy to get into and/or see/hear is missing the point entirely.

The whole FREAKING point of this show was to remove him from his normal expected throngs and play somewhere unexpected for a crowd that wouldn't normally be lining up to see him.

If this show was announced on a weekend mornimg for a Sat night show in a mall in New Jersey, every single suburban woman for miles would be clogging the highways to get there.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 6:02 PM

"Manilow's "New York City Rhythm" is a stone cold (New York) classic"

Have you listened to Diamond's "New York classic" from 1976?

Atleast Neil can pick up his guitar and snarl and be a rock star.It is not Manilol singing pre-rock kind of standards infront of his piano.Neil came from Tin Pan Alley ,Manilol came from Broadway.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 6:20 PM

Anon 5:46pm, you are right about that but trust me Manilow would have them lined up for blocks. Of course it would not be hipsters but still.
Anon 5:53pm, eh im not so sure thats correct. There were a fair number of older people there and it was announced in all the papers and tv and neil diamond fan bases.

Live with it.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 6:37 PM

Not that this matters either way,but could it be that people not from Manhattan stayed home thinking that their was no chance in hell they would get in?That is what I thought.The "reports" that few people showed up seemed like a joke to me.Even now the numbers are contradictory.

Neil should play another show at the Bitter End.This time people can buy tickets.Lets see how fast it would sell out.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 6:39 PM

"Conversely if some really popular Brooklyn indy hipster shit was announced at the last minute to be playing in a mall in the middle of buttfuck NJ, it would probably not bring the same crowd as in McCarren Pool.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 6:02 PM"

OH bullshit. Say that hipster show was Dan Deacon you would have the place filled quick and fast....unfortunately.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 6:46 PM

Anon 6:37,If Home Before Dark sells 130,000 copies the first week THAT IS A LOT for a reflective acoustic rock album in 2008.Neil is not Madonna with Timberland and Justin Timberlake shaking her 55 year old ass.

And I bet both my left and right nuts that if Barry Manilow had a secret show at the Bitter End,ZERO people would show up.Many "hipsters"
like many of Neil's songs from the 60's and now.You can see by the crowd singing along outside that they know the words.Manilow,no way.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 6:51 PM

Dear Neil Diamond Apologist Who Keeps Posting Over and Over Again on Every Neil-Related Thread,

Please use spaces after punctuation.

Love,
Daft Punk

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 6:52 PM

Anon 6:51, Home Before Dark has gotten so much publicity like umm American Idol publicity. 30-50 million people watch that. Do you know how artists are literally begging to be on that show because it turns into huge huge sales. Our most talked about person right now Barry Manilow was on there and the next week his new cd of fucking cover songs came out and was number 1. I think it went gold that day.

And you could make that bet but you would be nutless to go aling with you being brainless since you say that Manilows songs are not known worldwide. Where do we start

Copacabana
Mandy
Cant Smile Without You
Ready to take a chance again
i write the songs
looks like we made it
new york city rhythm

yeah nobody knows those songs.

The crowd outside was not hipsters. It was not even made up of people going specifically to see it. A lot of people were wakling by and stopping to see what was up.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 7:00 PM

Meh...

10 years ago, it was the re-emergence of Tony Bennett to a new group of young listeners.

This week, it's Neil Diamond.

In a few years, it will be...yes, you guessed it... Eddie Vedder!

Posted by Dfactor | May 8, 2008 7:03 PM

JUST BECAUSE YOU SAY THIS DICK HAS "HIPSTER CRED," THAT DOESN'T MAKE IT TRUE!!! I'M THE REAL FUCKIN HIPSTER DOUCHEBAG AROUND THESE PARTS, AND I GIVE NEIL NO CREDIT. NOT A FUCKING IOTA. GARBAGE ELEVATOR A.M. SACK OF SAPPY SCHLOCK!!!

Posted by THE CAPS LOCKS MEAN I"M SCREAMING | May 8, 2008 7:05 PM

Dfactor
Sad but true, brother

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 7:09 PM

Oh yeah, the Tony Bennett thing. Marketing genius.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 8:22 PM

Hey you numbskulls, the name of the street is spelled B-L-E-E-C-K-E-R. Go back to the midwest.

And the guy who demanded that someone put "Solitary Man" on YouTube, chill out, the whole show will be on MySpace.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 9:52 PM

For everyone complaining that Neil couldn't draw a crowd b/c there was only 61 people in line at 5:30 or whatever the hell it was, again, this was called a SECRET show. It wasn't heavily publicized. MySpace isn't exactly the NY Times or anything. And for people who said they saw it all over other websites & papers the day of the show... I don't know. I didn't read about it one single paper & I read all the majors in NYC. And by the time big sites (sorry, BV) like Billboard picked it up, it was probably too late for people to leave their jobs to join the line. That's why the line grew fast after 5pm.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 10:39 PM

"MySpace isn't exactly the NY Times or anything. "
^precious
As for me, I have completely lost all respect for Neil Diamond based solely on the reported attendance or lack thereof at this gig.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 10:48 PM

*NEWSFLASH* neil diamond is playing a secret show on north avenue in baltimore tomorrow night at 6pm. it's at a shell gas station and according to soultones.com dan deacon and abe vigoda will be opening. johnny leather and his lady friend are already on line and there seems to be a hispanic thug eyeing up his army bag/purse while using a pay-phone. i'll keep you posted....

Posted by hipster poseur | May 8, 2008 11:14 PM

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 11:15 PM

I remember when hipsters on this site were claiming Neil Diamond could draw crowds around the block for a free show...

"What time do you think people will start lining up?!"

I'm guessing you're already too late.

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2008 2:03 AM

Then not enough people showed up to their liking & they started hating on him. You guys suck.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 11:28 PM

DFactor! Didn't you leave NYC like NEIL? When's your secret homecoming show at the Bitter End?

Posted by greg | May 8, 2008 11:30 PM

Fuck the haters. You're why music sucks. You're why everything is so disposable. It's your own crushed dreams never realized. It's why you're loyalty is only about drink specials and good looks.

Neil Diamond forever.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 11:36 PM

I'm not a huge fan of neil's, but I have to say that he sounds damn great even with the crappy audio of the cell phones on these videos. props to neil to doing the show.

everyone relax, have fun, and enjoy a song that you can sing along to for once...

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 11:40 PM

Neil played there last night because he did a sunday morning CBS news interview in 2005 in Greenwich Village,inside the Bitter End,reminiscing with Paul Colby.

He obviously missed that joint and wanted to play that stage again.It is the same reason Bruce Springsteen likes to play "secret" club shows in NJ.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 11:56 PM

Anonymous 11:56 = creepy Neil Diamond stalker

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2008 12:35 AM

Anon 10:39 apparently you cant read because it was in all the major papers that day not to mention al the neil diamond fan sites the day before. There was nothing secret about this show. Another lame excuse

Anon 11:28pm you got it wrong. The hipster morons who claimed those things the other day are the same idiots trying to make up lame excuses for why it didnt happen.

Creepy neil diamond stalkers is right. But not to worry. In a few weeks they will all be claiming they are massive fans of some other old musician..of course one that the blogs tell them is great.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2008 1:04 AM

spot on, 11:36 PM.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2008 7:44 AM

anon 1:04 is the same douche posting on all the neil posts, claiming this thing was a failure. you're wrong, jackass. just get over yourself already & move on.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2008 8:33 AM

"Speaking of MySpace and the NY Times, check out the T-shirt worn by the old bag in the center of the photo accompanying this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/09/business/09rent.html"

I'd hit it.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2008 8:35 AM

1:04

Show us the mentions of the show in any of Wednesdays papers.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2008 8:37 AM

"the first gig I ever played in ny was at the bitter end too, and that place is tiny. I wouldn't classify it as a show to gain hipster cred because no one in their right mind goes there anymore- hipster or b&t. hell, if he wanted that, he'd play in bushwick or greenpoint."

Your missing the point entirely. He played at the Bitter End because he has a past connection to the club. This is where he played in the 1960's. Even though he is from Brooklyn, he has absolutely no connection historically to any o f the new venues in Bushwick or Greenpoint.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2008 10:40 AM

Again, We can all assume this and that and make this excuse and that excuse. But it is what it is or rather it is what it was and it was not that big of a deal."

"We can make this excuse or that excuse?" You mean like the ones you just made above for why he his record is going straight to number one?

Ha Ha Ha this is the most hypocritical posting. You say we can all make this excuse and that excuse, referring I believe to the reasons people have given for there not being thousands on the street for this secret show, and yet you just came up with every excuse you could think of for why his album just reached number one!

ridiculous. Someone that's trying to discredit a performer based on the amount of people that showed up to a last minute weeknight tiny secret club show with little to no promotion, is now trying to also discredit the fact that the same performer is going to have the number one record in the country!

You should have stopped at the show argument, by making ridiculous excuses for why an artist has the number one record just ruins your argument about the turn out at the show.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2008 10:49 AM

10:40am - I was responding to the feelings that Neil was trying to gain hipster cred by playing a small show, not trying to question why he played the Bitter End. I totally understand why he played there.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2008 10:53 AM

"Anon 5:56pm, slow week for releases and not unusual that this album would be the most bought one since there were not a lot of other major releases. Madonna's record sales number for the first week while number 1 was far lower than any of her other albums so not a surprise this week it would drop."

Not unusual? C'mon. that's just stupid talk. How many times lately has a mellow adult contemporary artist from the past had the number one album these days? It's not only not unusual, its a downright rarity!

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2008 10:54 AM

It's Not Unusual: Tom Jones 1965, Highest chart position: #10.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2008 10:55 AM

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2008 10:58 AM

Not unusual? To show you just how unusual this accomplishment is... believe it or not this will be Neil Diamond's VERY FIRST number one album!

That's tight folks hipsters and soccer moms, he's never had a number one album before, not in the 60's, not in the 70's, not in the 80's, not until now.

But her in 2008, he's got one.

Unusual, I think so.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2008 11:00 AM

"the tone and frequency of the posts that keep on pimping/defending this event are shady at best."

And the determination and frequency of the posts that are trying to minimize/ridicule this event are even shadier.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2008 11:02 AM

so true.

It seems that the person/s who are claiming this to be no big deal, either have some sort of odd personal gripe against Mr. Diamond and found an outlet to spew their active anger, or were annoyed that they didn't go or couldn't get in and want to make themselves feel better, or are really the biggest closeted Neil fan in the world and is much embarrassed by it.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2008 11:06 AM

and the posts claiming this was/is a huge deal sound like they were written by publicists [e.g., see Anon. 11:56]

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2008 11:20 AM

How many Hipster indy Brooklyn hot darlings of the moment ever have a number one album? It;s a pretty big accomplishment, It's taken Neil forty plus years in show business to pull it off, don't go dissin' ....

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2008 11:22 AM

no disrespect for neil, i'm just saying that a lot of posts on here are entirely different in tone than the posts in every other thread i've ever read on this site. neil's still going: good for him. even better for the diehard neil fans who got to see him in a small club. but there are clearly people with thinly veiled vested interests posting stuff that reads p.r. fluff.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2008 11:43 AM

bull. I am neither a PR person nor a hater/lover of Neil and as I am reading though these posts the tone of the pro-Neil comments on here don't seem any different to me than any of the defensive posts on this blog by fans of someone who is being hated on. The same thing went on on this board when P. McCartney played the Highline. Granted that was not a situation where anyone was able to discredit the impact and demand for that show, but still there were haters on here ridiculing anyone's interest in the event and McCartney' value as an artist and relevance to the world . The defensive posts seemed like overzealous real fans, much the same way they do here.

Really now, if Diamond sold out 3 night at the Garden and has the number one record in the country, I don't think his PR person is going to waste time posting and getting into arguments with anonymous people on this web site. (Sorry BV)

Seems like they would be pretty busy with more important things to do....

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2008 11:56 AM

Maybe the posts are by Neil himself!

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2008 11:57 AM

or Tom Jones

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2008 11:58 AM

You think there are publicists shilling for Neil Diamond on BrooklynVegan?! For real?! That's funny.

Posted by Matt | May 9, 2008 11:59 AM

Just to add some real life examples to the abundance of hypothetical comparisons to other performers playing small secret shows:

Bob Dylan actually did do something somewhat similar to this about ten years ago. He played at the small Manhattan club Tramps and the 'secret' show was announced only the night before on the internet. Although this show wasn't free and Tramps was slightly larger than The Bitter End, it was by all accounts a very very small venue for Dylan. The ticket sale was announced the night before and it was also a weeknight. Yes it did sell out immediately, but there were not thousand and thousands of people lined up for three o four blocks like some here would expect.

In 1969, The Beatles jumped up on the roof of their recording studio to play a free show at Lunchtime. If you watch the Film LET IT BE you will see that for the thirty minutes or so that they were playing there were but a small handful of people below listening to the show. The crowds were not rushing in. Nobody knew about it and there were not thousand of people filling the street. And this was the freaking Beatles last perfomance.

A little perspective to the crowd outside the the Neil Diamond show.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2008 12:09 PM

Having been a marketing intern, I know for a fact that marketing departments bend over backwards to try to stir up this much attention about a product on blogs with smaller audiences than BV. One of the first assignments I got was to hit up a list of 100 blogs with positive comments about a certain product and encourage discussion. So I don't see why it would be that different if the product is Neil Diamond instead of shampoo. If anything, music being a non-physical commodity that people increasingly refuse to pay for makes it much more likely that time and effort is spent talking up the brand to build loyalty. So, yeah, like all the other posts on BV, The Neil posts have been a sounding board for those with a vested interest in the continued success of the brand.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2008 12:09 PM

"Seems like they would be pretty busy with more important things to do...."

Like get Rick Rubin his lunch.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2008 12:11 PM

I don't think he needs to convert the few Brooklyn Vegan hipsters on this board who might be inclined to buy his record if they read through these posts. The record company has taken out network tv ad time for this record, they are not concerned with this blog believe me. And if you think I sound like a PR person because I mentioned network tv ad time, I'm mentioning it because I saw the commercial on tv the other day.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2008 12:15 PM

If you think that the tone and # of posts on here are different than other other threads, then I agree, but I don't think it's because of PR. I read BV a few times a day, but rarely post on other threads because I don't care for a lot of those bands and the juvenile comments that are written about them. I mean, really... the posts mentioning Daft Punk, Where's Obama at, I'd hit it, etc. are really tired and stopped being funny way before the 1,000th time. I'm not even a Neil Diamond fan, but I respect him.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2008 12:16 PM

" I know for a fact that marketing departments bend over backwards to try to stir up this much attention about a product on blogs with smaller audiences than BV."" One of the first assignments I got was to hit up a list of 100 blogs with positive comments about a certain product"

Yeah but what was the product? That's a bit of information that you neglected to mention that can either support or dismiss your claim....

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2008 12:19 PM

"Yeah but what was the product?"

Daft Punk.
[That's for you, Anon 12:16. You're welcome.]

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2008 12:45 PM

just read through all these recent posts. Seems to me that there is one cranky person here who keeps posting who's got some axe to grind with Neil Diamond. Odd.

Funny that there would be a person on this thread who claims to have went to the venue in advance to count the people on the line for his 'friend', not gone to the show and then badmouthed it afterwards repeatedly on this site. Me thinks thou protest too much.

Anyone who would spend that much effort with something they have no interest in or didn't like seems to have issues.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2008 4:25 PM