Posted in To Do | hiphop | music on May 7, 2008

Phish and Jay ZPhish and Jay Z

The 7th Annual Jammy Awards are happening tonight (May 7) at the The WaMu Theater at Madison Square Garden (jam bands + grammys = jammys), and some people seem to think Phish are going to reunite and play since they're being honored at the shindig. Even more interesting should be the scene outside the venue as Phish fans make their way to the theater while Jay-Z and Mary J Blige fans find their way into the much larger venue in the same building.

And with all of that going on under one roof, I guess anything could happen.....

2004-06-18, Keyspan Park, Coney Island, Brooklyn, NY

Page McConnell
Rose Hill Drive
Roy Haynes
Sharon Jones
Tea Leaf Green
Todd Park Mohr of Big Head Todd & the Monsters

PLUS VERY SPECIAL GUESTS!

Jay Z should duet with Sharon Jones!

Chevy Chase???

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2008 3:55 PM

whoa, roy haynes.

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2008 4:05 PM

I doubt it. Trey will probably show up via satellite from Wilson's Douche-Bag Adventure Island...

Posted by dave | May 7, 2008 4:06 PM

Last I heard, Trey was in rehab.

I'll be pretty bummed if Phish plays together and I missed it. If they play together and then Hova comes out for a song...well...I might kill myself.

Posted by Drugs Delaney | May 7, 2008 4:21 PM

Jam this

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2008 4:21 PM

Do you think Phish almost fell asleep when they had to play this incredibly simple beat over and over?

Posted by themasses | May 7, 2008 4:23 PM

There are already people selling grilled chesse outside the venue.

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2008 4:34 PM

who cares. both acts are has beens. just sayin'.

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2008 4:42 PM

"who cares. both acts are has beens. just sayin'."

Jay Z is SUCH a has been. That's why he sold out three nights at MSG.

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2008 4:50 PM

trey will be there KANGfirmed

Posted by BRAHklynVegan | May 7, 2008 4:55 PM

trey's not only in rehab, he's sentenced to the town of saratoga new york. hes already got popped for fuckin up his probation (adding another year to the 5) so i highly doubt hell be rollin through...but fuck it...maybe hell pull an ol dirty bastard...rage the show(s) and get popped at a philly drivethru foaming at the mouth vomitting partially chewed pills.

anyways...youre retarded if you think either of the acts are hasbeens...if jay-z's dated...then who's the hot shit now? take your aesop rock starfuckin elsewhere douchey.

i miss phish. i really do. my eyes are watering. COVENTRY OVER COACHELLA BITCHES

Posted by phishphanphlewphouth | May 7, 2008 4:59 PM

Papoose. Not a has been.

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2008 5:05 PM

Harpua > Reasonable Doubt > Harpua

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2008 5:06 PM

I got the Armani's, got the Versace joints
My fitted cap low , let me put my hater blockers on
Papoose Pa-poose

[Chorus:]
I got my fitted hat low, block em out (Block 'em out)
I got my hater blockers on, block em out (Block 'em out)
I got my fitted hat low, block em out (Block 'em out)
I got my hater blockers on, block em out (Block 'em out)
I got my fitted hat on my face (My face)
Why you all up in my space (My space)
I don't want these haters all in my grill so I cop me some brand new shades (New shades)

[Verse 1:]
I wear a mean dark pair of shades
And you can't see my eyes unless my head bent
It's about to be a cold winter, I'm on some s***
Show you how to rob the industry like 50 cent
Hopped on the airplane, hit Miami quick
Linked up with Scott Storch, so you know it's a hit
Everybody lookin for me like where Pap went?
Going going going gone, I'm outta here b****
Look at shorty over there, she thick like quick
But she got her breasts done, she thinks she slick
Yeah, all the girls with the real hair
Yeah, the real chest and the ill rear
Even if it ain't real, I ain't hating on it
Uh! It's still yours cause you paid for it
Get your weight up not your hate up and see me after you got it up
I'm clockin ya, Versace shades watchin ya

[Chorus:]
I got my fitted hat low, block em out (Block 'em out)
I got my hater blockers on, block em out (Block 'em out)
I got my fitted hat low, block em out (Block 'em out)
I got my hater blockers on, block em out (Block 'em out)
I got my fitted hat on my face (My face)
Why you all up in my space (My space)

[Verse 2:]
My groove, come get into my groove
Walk through the industry doing what I choose
My chain hit your girl in the face, she 'gon bruise
So when I'm on top, I take off my jewels
Four hundred songs, what more can I prove
Versatile, I'm hardcore, but I'm smooth
Cop new hammers and give them to my goons
None of y'all crews don't want it with my dudes
The throwback Mike's, black and gray pair
Not those, the suede pair
Had that '07 leather in '06
I switch it up every year
Since it's 07, I'm copping my '08 gear
They don't face fight, when I pull out the thirty eight here
Make the doctor press down on your chest and say CLEAR!
Sucker punched you fast and say they ain't care
They can't swing on me, I weave like fake hair

[Chorus:]
I got my fitted hat low, block em out (Block 'em out)
I got my hater blockers on, block em out (Block 'em out)
I got my fitted hat low, block em out (Block 'em out)
I got my hater blockers on, block em out (Block 'em out)
I got my fitted hat on my face (My face)
Why you all up in my space (My space)

[Verse 3:]
Count my money once, I count my money twice
Then I count it again to make sure it's right
I keep my guns dirty, and my jewelry plain
Cause fly b****es love gangstas, nah mean!?
I know y'all shades is fake, but not these y'all
Armani, Vioni, Versace, her body like Halle
She probably think she got me, but not me
Ma please I bet you I can make her feel like a virgin
I bet you I can make her scream like a virgin
And her p****smells good, I said it
Cause she a clean version) like a radio edit
But it's all about the clothes, the homes, the hot cars
Looking through my shades, it's easy to spot ya
Rock ya to sleep, then drop y'all
Seen alot of stars get rocked, that's why I call them rockstars

[Chorus:]
I got my fitted hat low, block em out (Block 'em out)
I got my hater blockers on, block em out (Block 'em out)
I got my fitted hat low, block em out (Block 'em out)
I got my hater blockers on, block em out (Block 'em out)
I got my fitted hat on my face (My face)
Why you all up in my space (My space)

Posted by papoose sucks too douche | May 7, 2008 5:09 PM

wow, never thought I'd see the day when BV commenters were making subtle phish references

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2008 5:10 PM

On April 27th 2008, Page McConnell, a longtime friend of Anastasio's and former Phish band mate revealed on Sirius Satellite radio that Anastasio once promised the Phish pianist that he would bring the band back together if he could stay sober for a full year. Anastasio's 2007 arrest has set his recovery back but he felt that he "needed to hit rock bottom" before he could "realize the harm [he] was causing his fans and loved ones."

Posted by Harpua | May 7, 2008 5:10 PM

His real name is Cornelius
He's been expelled from school a handful of times
He was part of Steely Dan before they were Steely Dan
He's an absolute pitch
He got into a brawl with Bill Murray
He was electrocuted and nearly died filming a movie

Chevy Chase is my hero.

Posted by zaahit | May 7, 2008 5:10 PM

"COVENTRY OVER COACHELLA BITCHES"

Maybe IT over Coachella, but Coventry was a muddy hell-hole and the band played like ass.

Posted by mangrilla | May 7, 2008 5:12 PM

papoose sucks too douche...

we here at brooklyn vegan are so proud of you and your ability to operate the copy and paste functions. your parents must be so happy. no go phuck off.

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2008 5:12 PM

by IT you mean waterloo '95! you earn them wings son?

Posted by real phish phan! | May 7, 2008 5:16 PM

Peep the photo gallery on the IT DVD...first picture...

That's Drugs Delaney driving, my friends.

Pathetic claim to fame, but it's all I got.

Posted by Drugs Delaney | May 7, 2008 5:25 PM

Mikes > Hydrogen > Weekapaug

Man, can someone rewind me back to the MSG holiday run in 97??

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2008 5:29 PM

What the hell is going on here?

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2008 5:34 PM

Dear Drugs Delaney,

you keep those rosey cheeks in line or the doc's gonna have to check yo ass.

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2008 5:35 PM

Anon 5:35...

Understood.

Posted by Drugs Delaney | May 7, 2008 5:40 PM

Arguing is for people who won't be there tonight. LOL.

Posted by Angelemerald | May 7, 2008 5:48 PM

Yo brahs who's bringing the gas?

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2008 6:10 PM

Warren and Grace have been revving up their Ike and Tina revue over the last few days. Should be fun. Here's "Nutbush City Limits" and "Whole Lotta Love".

Posted by kcortez | May 7, 2008 6:13 PM

i always knew that today's hipsters were hippies in high school

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2008 6:25 PM

Maybe JayZ will get up on a trampoline during YEM or PYITE...

Never thought I would ever use those letters on this board.

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2008 6:28 PM

FROM MY INSIDE SOURCE:

TREY IS CONFIRMED TO PLAY WITH THE FAB FAUX - HE IS PLAYING 2 SONGS WITH THEM - WHILE MY GUITAR GENTLY WEEPS AND EVERYBODY'S GOT SOMETHING TO HIDE EXCEPR FOR ME AND MY MONKEY

NO ONE ELSE FROM PHISH WILL BE THERE

NO JAZ Z REUNION

Posted by NBC | May 7, 2008 6:28 PM

The Fab Faux perform both of those songs perfectly by themselves. I can't imagine Trey Anastasio would contribute anything of value to them.

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2008 6:39 PM

"jam bands + grammys = jammys"

Thanks for that explanation, BV. I had guessed that the Jammys were about fruit preserves.

Posted by Snarky McSnarkerson | May 7, 2008 6:52 PM

NO ONE ELSE FROM PHISH WILL BE THERE

Is Page not in the line up?

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2008 6:59 PM

Seeing Trey & Co perform the entire White Album over 13 years ago is a much better memory than anything that might happen tonight with the Fab Faux, to be sure. Unless, of course, Poster Nutbag shows up.

Also, IT & Coventry don't hold a candle to the Clifford Ball. Just sayin.

Posted by McGrupp | May 7, 2008 7:38 PM

Did they perform "Revolution 9" when they did the white album?

Posted by if you become naked | May 7, 2008 8:04 PM

"Did they perform "Revolution 9" when they did the white album?"

Yeah, kinda. It was a while ago, but I think they just sorta chanted the whole #9 thing for a bit while Fishman skipped around naked, and someone was blowing big bubbles. The whole scene was very surreal, err, trippy.

Posted by fishman was naked | May 7, 2008 8:15 PM

yes! Phish discussion on BV.

Posted by Derek | May 7, 2008 8:34 PM

Phish will not play tonight and everyone will be disappointed like we have been for years at this point. more like fuokota jams 1 and 2 and the whole show.

Posted by MJ | May 7, 2008 8:50 PM

meatstick

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2008 9:02 PM

its a fine line between hippie and hipster

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2008 10:39 PM

Phish is awesome. Hipsters hate Phish.

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2008 11:09 PM

Hey champs -- mega down for the wild wisdom of trey ... and the cosmic Phishsters... Wondering if any kind-hearted bros wanna skip across the mesasphere and soar into the Phish Zone? I want to float up on a guitar line into a cloud, or an angel.. just hit me up bros. let's expand minds together, word?

Posted by A Simple Humble Broskin | May 7, 2008 11:19 PM

Phish was the greatest band in the world from about 1988-1996. Not Guns and Roses, not Nirvana, not Pearl Jam, not Guided by Voices, etc., etc., One might not be into their style of music or the scene that was, but from a talent, energy, and creativity standpoint this is true.

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2008 11:28 PM

"but from a talent, energy, and creativity standpoint this is true."

No. Just... no.

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2008 11:48 PM

this post makes me wanna put on some Phish

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 12:12 AM

this post makes me want to play some Go Fish.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 12:30 AM

Plattsburg JEMP next fall

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 1:41 AM

Every member of phish was there, it seemed like they were gonna play but they didn't and the suck ass headcount band played wilson and run like an antelope.

It was amazing to see them all on the stage together again I have to say.

*SIGH* oh well off to studio b for Sebastian...fart

Posted by BRAHklynVegan | May 8, 2008 1:49 AM

For what it's worth, (if it were to have happened it would have already) I was told through a friend of mine that Peter Shapiro had directly confirmed to her that the whole band would be in attendance. OK, old news and the product of a short gossip chain, but it does contradict earlier posts asserting the contrary.

And of course, given the quality of the average Phish performances of the last 10 years, a reunion would likely amount to little more than a novelty, possibly an interesting PR stunt to build hype for a proper reunion tour/album. In any regard, it's not an extreme hypothetical and I, for one, would be disappointed to have missed it.

But really, most importantly, I can't believe the degree to which BV readers are coming out of the closet like this, as if the taboo of liking Phish has miraculously been lifted... And without the ubiquitous hating that usually makes up significant portions of the comments on this site... (Did every single hipster of the holier-than-thou variety just opt to skip this posting?!)...It almost restores one's faith in the decency and fair judgement of humanity and posterity... Almost enough to believe that Phish could actually pull off a reunion worthy of their best creative output... Almost enough to believe in the everlasting Icculus. (Oh god, I can't believe I wrote that. Go ahead - let the lashings begin.)

As for the clarification about the Jammys' etymology, you can't blame BV. He's mostly just trying to be helpful. ...Though quite honestly, based simply on the bulk of music that qualifies as 'Jam' and tends to be honored at the Jammy's, relative to good taste (and regardless of the undeniable virtuosity of many of the performers), the institution is kinda-sorta, almost totally deserving of public flogging. ...Aside from it's righteous higher function as an independant, american establishment beyond the mainstream industry leviathan, keeping threads of our heritage alive, the Jammy's do indeed struggle to rise above the trite cuteness of the name. For that failure, BV is legitimate in illustrating the utter borishness of the name by the equation:
jam bands + grammys = jammys.

So much Jam Band music eddies in the backwater of the more expansive category of the psychadelic genre, which maintains and continually renues it's cultural relevance with high achievement. Many Indie bands - or whatever it is we keep tabs on here - demonstrate evidence of this particular brand of excellence. Occassionally one of the high achievers is a Jam Band and Phish happens to have been one of them. It'd be great if the taste makers 'round these parts were, as it seems they are, copacetic with this judgement.

Posted by mgc | May 8, 2008 1:53 AM

MGC you are an idiot. Kill yourself.

Posted by BRAHklynVegan | May 8, 2008 1:58 AM

"as if the taboo of liking Phish has miraculously been lifted... "

Oh no, it's still there. Don't worry.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 2:03 AM

mgc, what were you on when you wrote that? can i get some?

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 2:46 AM

"MGC you are an idiot. Kill yourself."
-BRAHklynVegan 1:58AM

Ah, right, BRAH. Because "KANGfirmed," is such a stroke of genius, and really enriches us all, ta'boot! To think, I'd thought you sort of benign and slightly charming in your phish-loving douchitude. I stand corrected. You win. Where would you like my corpse delivered oh fearless leader?

Posted by mgc | May 8, 2008 3:18 AM

Poster is dead. Poster's sooooooo dead.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 8:06 AM

Anon 2:46...LOL!! I was thinking the same thing. MGC, you musta been on some GOOD shit!!!

In all seriousness MGC, to your post...I'm pretty sure that the last thing in the world Phish would be worried about is whether or not a reunion tour would be popular. If they did another Coventry/IT-type festival, they'd probably get the same 80-100k people that showed up at the last ones. Their fans are insanely loyal.

The sad fact is that there will be no reunion until Trey cleans up his act and stops doing heroin.

Man, has this been fun though.

Back to the frantic search for hot indie bands...

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 9:08 AM

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 9:12 AM

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 9:15 AM

(((good vibes)))

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 9:22 AM

it's quite hysterically asinine that a few of you are calling Phish bad musicians.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 9:38 AM

"the only diffrence between hippies and hipsters born in 70s and 80s is geography. hipsters live in cities and hippies live in the country. the only crossover is the burbs and thats just because that where their from. Sooner or later they have to pick a side. Move to new york or colorado. otherwise the similarities are staggering. Mostly white, suburbian bread, vegitariain, obsessed with a 'scene', poor hygene, Self righteous, embaresments and burdens to their otherwise hardworking parents. Am i missing anything?"

"dont for get lazy. hippes and hipsters are notoriously lazy. and zero work ethic."

Poor spellers, too. Precious birthday fudge.

Posted by Colonel Forbin | May 8, 2008 9:41 AM

you'll never get out of this maze.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 9:42 AM

not for nothing, I don't agree with the hippie hipster thing, but why do people always comment on spelling. doesn't everyone just type away, who the f*** spellchecks comments on a blog.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 9:49 AM

the first phish show i ever say was in Providence 1992 and I was hooked (no pun intended) when in College. the last Phish show i ever say was at coney Island, it was also the worst. They were right to hang it up.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 9:54 AM

As much I loathe the entire catalog of songs spewed out by Phish, I have to admit that they are MUCH better musicians than ANY band mentioned on this site.

While I love Radiohead, Wilco, BSS and other musically talented bands.....sad to say, but Phish outplays them all!!! Yeah, not even close! I can't stand Trey and it pains me to say that he is a more talented guitar player than anyone from any band that I listen to.

ps - Phish fans suck and I hate them all!!!

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 9:59 AM

"doesn't everyone just type away, who the f*** spellchecks comments on a blog."

Hah, nice transparent try rationalizing your own sloppiness with the English language by assuming everyone's as tarded & lazy with it as you. Common writing standards should apply everywhere. Why should blogs be some kind of gibbering incoherent cesspool?

Susan Sontag -- "Try not to live in a linguistic slum."

P.S. Phish is turd.

Posted by Asshole SpellChecker Snobfuck Snarkaroo | May 8, 2008 10:10 AM

Phish's apex was the period from 92-97, peaking in 94 and 95, imo. If you were seeing them during that time, you'll know I'm right. Otherwise, too late. Late-comers talk about the Island shows in 98 or Big Cypress as their pinnacle, but that's shite.

And frankly, none of the bands discussed on this site should even be compared to Phish, let alone put above them musically. That's just silliness.

Posted by I killed Prince Caspian | May 8, 2008 10:19 AM

For the love of G-D BV, Please turn anonymous commenting off!, then hopefully high schoolers like mgc would be discouraged from posting 25 times and making an entire thread of redundant, over-excited, excessively verbose splooge about phish.

Posted by little jimmy | May 8, 2008 10:35 AM

Woke up this morning...heady brooklyn vegan comments.

Posted by Chase | May 8, 2008 10:47 AM

WTF are you talking about Little Jimmy?
My excessively verbose splooge is delivered in 1 post, not 25. You neither HAVE to read it nor respond, so lighten up. (Do you get an RSS feed sent your your phone via text or something?!)
It WAS an effort to be constructive, for chrissake!
Your post is as anonymous as mine! (By suggesting that flames filling my inbox might scare me from attempting substantial contributions makes you sound like a nazi. Email included, so flame away, mein herr.)
In case you'd forgotten, before blogging High School was the exclusive province of bullying. So instead of being a jerk, why don't you grow up and email me a link to the book of BV comment etiquette or write an essay explaining why someone else's enjoyment makes your life so difficult.
Have a better day. With love,
xoxo

Posted by mgc | May 8, 2008 12:42 PM

It's okay to be wrong sometimes mgc. In this case, you're very wrong.

Posted by Jesus H. Christ | May 8, 2008 1:09 PM

I miss Phish

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2008 5:42 PM

Won't you step into the freezer.

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2008 5:51 PM

This is going to be one huge event,cannot wait for it to happen.

Posted by james z wilson | July 4, 2009 10:46 AM

It's taking too much time for Jay-z to retire. Can anybody tell me how many albums he recorded in the retirement period? XD

Posted by Mozer | July 6, 2010 2:50 AM

I ate when artists make a black album and make fun of themselves when they make other unblacking album.

Posted by Karen D. Farris | November 18, 2010 3:11 AM