Posted in music on May 5, 2008

Spank Rock wishbone

Joey from NYC just wrote in with this message.....

I thought the Santogold Miller Lite commercial was weird...until I just saw the SPANK ROCK WISHBONE SALAD DRESSING COMMERCIAL! WHAT THE FUCK??!
Photo (minus the dressing) from Nicky Digital.

Spank Rock did not play Studio B Friday.

enuf w santogold and spank rock, we get it! you like them! write about something new for once, it's getting boring.

Posted by Anonymous | May 5, 2008 12:42 PM

WOW WHAT A CLASSY AD

Posted by Anonymous | May 5, 2008 12:49 PM

That pic would be a lot better without the, um, wishboner.

Posted by Anonymous | May 5, 2008 1:12 PM

yea, enough with all these bands that you like BV. we only want posts about new groups that you don't like.

Posted by d-bag | May 5, 2008 1:32 PM

miller also has a commercial with the fujiya and miyagi track

Posted by Anonymous | May 5, 2008 1:47 PM

I'm surprised nobody has made a salad tossing reference.

Posted by Anonymous | May 5, 2008 2:22 PM

so if Santogold is Miller Lite, does that make M.I.A. Miller?

Posted by Anonymous | May 5, 2008 2:57 PM

“For relaxing times, make it Suntory time.”

Posted by Anonymous | May 5, 2008 4:18 PM

god, that bud light lime looks gross

Posted by Anonymous | May 5, 2008 4:30 PM

"WOW WHAT A CLASSY AD"

That's not an ad, dumbass.

"That pic would be a lot better without the, um, wishboner."

Voila: http://www.nickydigital.com/index.php?/gallery/photo/57988/

Posted by sheesh | May 6, 2008 8:37 AM

I spent some time listening to Sirius Left Of Center, channel 26. It's much better than XM's Ethel. I know, because I tried to continue to listen to Sirius at home, via my boom box, but the signal kept dropping out and I had to fire up Ethel. I was excited by Left Of Center, Ethel left me cold, made me hate all this music, maybe music in general. But what I heard on Left Of Center, if not inspiring, was at least intriguing.

I heard a buried treasure by Pearl Jam that almost had me reevaluating the band. And a good track by the Kills. Made me want to listen to the new My Morning Jacket album someone sent me, based on the song I heard, maybe it's finally their time. But the track that truly caught my ear, that kept me listening to the station, was Santogold's "L.E.S. Artistes".

Used to be I had to know every act, what they sounded like. But today there are just too many. And too many fall into the category of indie/white boy rock that makes me laugh when I listen to it (http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpress.com/2008/01/30/40-indie-music/). So, these acts slide by me, I hear the names, but have no idea what the music sounds like. I assume the music sucks, because experimentation has told me so. But Santogold does not.

"L.E.S. Artistes" is kind of like Duffy's "Mercy"...not a complete song. A riff, missing another crucial element. But like with the ultimately superior "Mercy", what is there grabs you, like a song from Rick Carroll's KROQ.

Remember hearing ska music for the first time? Not the original stuff or the O.C. flavor, but the English version, from the turn of the decade, the seventies into the eighties? "L.E.S. Artistes" has got the same feel. It sounds like the artist means it. You pay attention from the very first note. It seems to exist outside the mainstream, the system. It seems to be played in a dark room, that both disorients and enraptures you. It's hip, unlike what's on Top Forty radio.

There's a somewhat anthemic chorus... But what gets you is the vibe, the immediacy.

But, unlike decades ago, I've got no illusion Santogold's other music is as good as "L.E.S. Artistes". I don't expect a "Mirror In The Bathroom" on the same album as the English Beat's cover of "Tears Of A Clown". I don't expect her album to be as playable as the Specials'. Not because of what's in the track, but because of the scene. All we usually get is the track, with no additional depth. And a listen to the other Santogold emphasis track, "Creator", proves the point, it leaves me cold.

But check out "L.E.S. Artistes". It's got the urgency of a revolution. Like those involved don't give a shit about anybody else, like they're creating their own scene. You're drawn in.

This is fresher than Duffy. This is not country, with the same instrumentation just different lyrics, this doesn't sound quite like anything that's come before. And that's exactly why it registers. Risk is being taken!

(Don't watch the video, except for an instant, to catch what Santogold looks like. Great music is made to be listened to, not seen. The visual cheapens the effect. Crank it up and listen.)

Posted by Bob Lefsetz | May 9, 2008 4:12 PM