Posted in music | tour dates on May 27, 2008

She & Him @ Noisepop 2008 ((more by Ryan Muir)
She and Him @ Noisepop

Tuesday, August 5 Chicago, IL @ Park West
Thursday, August 7 Minneapolis, MN @ First Avenue
Friday, August 8 Madison, WI @ Barrymore
Sunday, August 10 Washington, DC @ V Fest

fap fap fap fap

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 2:08 PM

yeah, their music is perfect for terminal 5.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 2:09 PM

t5?! haha. awesome. maybe we can just stick them in an air hanger at jfk next time.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 2:15 PM

So, they had 2 shows at Hiro, which became one at Webster, and now they're going to fill T5? Really? Does anyone want to see them for any reason more than to ogle Zooey?

Posted by Robert | May 27, 2008 2:40 PM

They were great at Webster, but I'm definitely not seeing them at Terminal 5. New acts usually do something like Hiro->Bowery->Webster->Terminal 5. I guess her sickness allowed them to jump to Webster stage right away. If Zooey is too cool for playing smaller venues, then they don't need me in the audience. And if they had to jump to a bigger venue right away, a place like Town Hall would have been right and I would still go. It's also sad to see how low Bowery Presents has sunk letting an act like She & Him play at such a wrong place. They might as well have played Oprah's show instead of having live dates like Leona Lewis. Maybe then they would have their first gig at Madison Square Garden.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 3:00 PM

well, in fairness, i think they did a small show at nyu. still, terminal 5 is way too big for their sound.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 3:04 PM

M. Ward, where is that new album?

Posted by Eduardo | May 27, 2008 3:09 PM

And I almost didn't go see them at Webster Hall - cause I thought that venue not so great. Now I am glad I did.
Bowery Presents is awful.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 3:16 PM

OMG Live Nation is doing SOOO much better than the Bowery! I bet they were kicking themselves when Irving Plaza got the Spin Doctors AND Ashlee Simpson! Such a shame Bootsy Collins cancelled though!

Posted by GOPster | May 27, 2008 3:36 PM

i really loved the webster show. Hiro wouldve been better, at least my 11 dollar vodka drink would be surrounded by nicer decor...but whatever. I agree that T5 is a poor choice and town hall would be better...but those hiro shows sold out in minutes...and its cuz a) shes a superstar who is certainly ogleworthy and b)her on stage makes MWard not sing and its a rather perfect pairing.

...almost as perfect as her pairing her sweet lips to my saltyballs

Posted by webster was cool | May 27, 2008 3:36 PM

i'm starting to wish livenation would book better shows at their smaller venues. with both promoters using ticketmaster now, i don't think the costs would be much different.

has anyone noticed that bowery presents is beginning to put on shows in the boston area?

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 3:38 PM

Zooey is a "superstar?" Really? I feel like Juliette Lewis & Gina Gershon are bigger "stars" as far as actresses who front rock bands go. And they don't headline shows at Webster Hall & Terminal 5. So my guess is that there's more appeal to She & Him than just Zooey Deschanel (unless I'm massively underestimating the fan base of 'Elf' & 'The Tin Man' miniseries).

PS- This is coming from someone who's NOT a She & Him fan, not a Zooey fan, not an M. Ward fan... not even an 'Elf' fan.

PPS- I like Terminal 5.

Posted by Matt | May 27, 2008 3:47 PM

Don't blame Bowery Presents...Town Hall expenses are about x3 as high as Terminal 5. So you would you rather spend $25.00 at T5 or $35 at Town Hall

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 3:51 PM

I'd spend $35 for Town Hall and $0 for Terminal 5.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 3:53 PM

same here. even if this show was free at terminal 5, i probably wouldnt go, but would gladly pay around 35-40 to see this at town hall.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 3:56 PM

I would pay $50+ to see them at Town Hall. It is absolutely worth it. The $25 for t5 is wasted $.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 4:13 PM

im glad i caught them at sxsw before this got so gross. theyre phenomenal i think, but much better suited to an intimate venue.

i do think the massachusetts venue is a very nice choice, though, for what it's worth.

Posted by sarah | May 27, 2008 4:38 PM

the troc in philly would be a decent place to see them.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 4:55 PM

people say they should play a bigger venue like town hall. the only thing with that is town hall is not much bigger then webster hall. Webster's capacity is 1400, town hall's is 1500 capacity.

A better comparison would be to play the beacon theater as opposed to terminal 5 as T5's capacity is 2700 and the beacon is at 2800.

If you wanted to go right in between, the nokia theater would be great at 2100.

Regardless i agree and disagree with some of the above statements. I don't think Terminal 5 is as bad as other venues. I just saw The Black Keys and Devotchka there and since getting the soundboard off the main floor, it has improved a great deal. I certainly think it is about as good as Hammerstein and definitely way better then Roseland. But none of those 3 venues are good for She and Him. Any of the above theaters are better.

Ehh, one more New York show and then She and Him will fade away into the Postal Service One Album Wonder World

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 5:03 PM

the TLA in Philly would be a better place. Hell, why not the First Unitarian Church? Better yet, why not the Keswick? If Robyn Hitchcock can play the Keswick, so can M.Ward and She.

Posted by I Bust Sic Disco | May 27, 2008 7:47 PM

Varsity Playhouse in Atlanta--- Fuck that. they should do it somewhere better!

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 8:26 PM

it's actually VARIETY playhouse. it's a good space.
unless it's at the varsity, in which case give me a chili dog.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 8:35 PM

"This has to finally convince every out there of what a horrible organization Bowery is. They are so out for the $$ that they can't be bothered with setting matching an act with the right venue. Town Hall would be a perfect place to see S & H, - instead they have to go for the biggest place - to pack people in without anyr regard for the quality of the concert."

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2008 6:41 PM

washington dc- vfest

you'd think people would know by now that baltimore and dc are separate cities.

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2008 7:06 PM

"You're right! They should invest millions of dollars in a new venue, pay manhattan rents for a huge space, and not book any shows there. The NERVE of them!"

no - what they should have done was create a decent venue and not one that resembled a giant warehouse. i am no engineer, but it seems really difficult for the sound to be good based on how ridiculously oversized the joint is. upper levels are great if you have the rail - miserable otherwise. i went last night because i just got into them two weeks ago and love the record. place was not sold out, but pretty close. floor and rails were packed. sound was not as bad as i thought it would be except when she switched and went to the piano mic. mix was pretty good and you could make out the vocal parts even though the overall sound was boomy. on some songs though they managed to make an acoustic guitar sound as thin and bad as i have ever heard. one plus on the venue is i found the bartenders to be quick, friendly and competent.

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2008 1:29 PM

i went last night, and the bartender with the red hair was the most gorgeous girl i ever laid eyes on. too bad i was with my girlfriend, but the bartender would probably never go out with me. overall the venue was ok. if you are tall this venue is for you, if you're short, then no. I might go to a show here again, mainly because of that redheaded bartender.

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2008 2:23 PM

Terminal 5 set list:

Black Hole
Change Is Hard
I Was Made For You
I Thought I Saw Your Face Today
You Really Got A Hold On Me (The Beatles)
You Turn Me On, I'm A Radio (Joni Mitchell)
Take It Back
Thieves Among Us
Garden Rose (Lavender Diamond) (with Becky Stark on vocals)
Got Me
Sentimental Heart
Why Do You Let Me Stay Here?
This Is Not A Test
Sweet Darlin'

Encore:
Bring It On Home To Me (Sam Cooke)
Magic Trick (M. Ward)
Hello Stranger (Flatt And Scruggs) (duet with Freakwater)

Posted by sextonseven | July 29, 2008 3:49 PM