Posted in music | pictures on May 16, 2008

photos by Zach Dilgard

Suicide @ Europa

Suicide played a show at Europa in Brooklyn last night (May 15, 2008). It was their first NYC show since their much larger (free) affair at the Seaport last summer with TheDeathSet (who coincedentally played Europa one night earlier - May 14 - with Bonde Do Role) (and who played with Bonde Do Role again in NYC last night too.)

How were Suicide? Or Aa (who opened for them this time)? More pics from the show below...

Suicide @ Europa

Suicide @ Europa

Suicide @ Europa

Suicide @ Europa

Tags: Europa, Suicide

Grandpa hipsters.

Posted by Regular reader | May 16, 2008 12:55 PM

that dude is ripped.

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2008 1:01 PM

child abuse were the best and most visceral part of this show. hands down. the blue man group w/out corporate funding band aka Aa were kinda embarassing.

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2008 1:37 PM

show was eh

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2008 1:46 PM

dad?

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2008 2:08 PM

did suicide play Dream Baby Dream? i saw springsteen cover it a few years ago on his solo tour, incredible

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2008 2:17 PM

child abuse ftw

Posted by nick | May 16, 2008 2:36 PM

it's like they passed out acid at an old folks home...

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2008 3:31 PM

this show was not as good South Street seaport last year mainly because of not as good song selection (no Ghost Rider, no Frankie Teardrop) . but it was still good.

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2008 3:43 PM

The instrumentation was obviously not the same, but they certainly played (or rather Vegas mumbles a few of the songs' lyrics) "Ghost Rider" and "Dream Baby Dream", but sadly I didn't notice "Frackie Teardrop"... Did Vegas shout "Frankie!" at any point? That could have all that's been for the song.... The music was monotonous, chaotic, funky groovey, rocking, psychedelic, hypnotic and simply fucking awesome.

These guys are the epitomy of cool. I can only wish I'm half that at their age. Martin Rev is a glorious fist pounding synth bad ass and although Alan Vegas had a bit of the old man shuffle going, he was still very cool, funny and definitely endearing. I noticed a lot of young women (their daugthers' age and younger) in the front whom I thought were "feeling their rock god sex appeal"....

I went to the Seaport show too, but it was a pleasure to hear them indoor.

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2008 4:54 PM

I thought they were amazing. Alan Vega made me get all sweaty with excitement. I was one of the young wimmen in the front that couldn't control themselves... Young men take note: Grandpa shuffle is HOT!

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2008 5:59 PM

they also did "Cheree," and that was it for the first album...no "Frankie," not even the word "Frankie," but "Ghost Rider" and "Dream" were great. (Vega changed words to "the whole wide world is killing its youth.") "Stayin' Alive" a bit dubious but hey. The show began with a very moving dedication to Rev's late wife. Great show.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2008 4:05 PM

Martin Rev was outstanding. I thought the show was better than the Knitting Factory- Jan, '05.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2008 10:50 PM

they were sick at the seaport... but really, it's hard to get excited when you read about them causing riots in their hey days. noo mooreee reunionnss may the greats rest in peace so i can treasure them forever (that means you, zombies)

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2008 11:20 PM

23 minutes in greenpoint!

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2008 11:45 PM

Okay, here I am, ye wimmens. Let's hold each other.

Posted by Grandpa Shuffler | May 19, 2008 11:54 PM

If you are thinking about
commiting suicide just say
out loud now Jesus I believe
and I receive you in my heart
please heal me for more help
please go to leroyjenkins.com