Posted in music | venues on May 15, 2008

Union Hall

Long story short, Brooklyn bar and music venue Union Hall won the battle yesterday.

Union Hall is just a few blocks away from Southpaw - where I was last night for the Negative Approach show (May 14, 2008). That's when the above picture was snapped.

OBAMA!

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2008 12:36 PM

Yeah big govt and high taxes!

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2008 12:44 PM

"Yeah big govt and high taxes!"

[fart]

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2008 12:52 PM

haha

Obama is long legged mac daddy

Posted by ROCK STARchitect | May 15, 2008 1:01 PM

good. now they can concentrate on getting the tools to abandon the upstairs space.

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2008 1:10 PM

I peeked my head into Union Hall last night, and I have to say, I think the place should close down. It's become a hopelessly yuppie PS shite scene. turn it into a wine lounge or ice-cream parlor.

Posted by CloseitDown | May 15, 2008 1:12 PM

but downstairs there is music and comedy. but sadly no naked women

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2008 1:13 PM

This comment is supposed to be sarcastic?

>>It's become a hopelessly yuppie PS shite scene. Turn it into a wine lounge....<

Y'all can go suck yourselves. UH forever!

Posted by Mid Fingg | May 15, 2008 1:16 PM

Congrats on the win! Long live Union Hall!

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2008 2:12 PM

Jon Crow just left an anon comment on Brownstoner, confirming that he's out there lurking and reading all of this stuff. I'd be willing to bet I know who these "closeitdown" and "screwunionhall" comments belong to!

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2008 2:14 PM

i peeked into union hall last night and some girl gave me a bj.

Posted by truestory | May 15, 2008 2:19 PM

"i peeked into union hall last night and some girl gave me a bj."

Excuse me, but I told you afterwards that, however femininly dressed, I'm not a girl!

Posted by Big Al | May 15, 2008 2:38 PM

You know, I have to agree with the 'scene' at Union hall, or rather it's relative lack thereof. It's a bit like a long island bar. However, you really can't have a place that large without it becoming something of a good-time emporium, and frankly has no bearing on wether or not it should be allowed to exist. So what it's not 'cool enough' for the neighborhoods impression of itself. Frankly, take a look at that stretch of park slope, it might as well be beverly hills.
No matter your opinion of the clientele, a brief survey of the place and it's obvious they care what the neighbors think and try (and succeed) to keep it as benign as a bar can be. There are way worse things going on in brooklyn that no one seems to try and stop, like condo construction next to me on both sides, beginning at 7 am with a sound like an earthquake and drum solo happening at once.

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2008 2:42 PM

screw jim crow and his dumb butt posse!

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2008 2:54 PM

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2008 2:56 PM

yeah whats up with this right down the block bull shit?!

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2008 2:59 PM

there are very few bars in brooklyn that dont have annoying people in them

actually I have yet to be in one.

if you take a bar in williamsburg and add 10 years to everyones age you get Union Hall.

Posted by nick | May 15, 2008 3:56 PM

UPenn iBanking fratboys need a place like Union Hall to reminisce, chill and have the occasional drink. Anon 2:42 is right. the UG is representative of all the glory that is North Slope. it's a real hodge podge of a scene, but the fratboy yuppies tend to dominate.

Posted by Fratboy | May 15, 2008 3:58 PM

"yeah whats up with this right down the block bull shit?!"

Sorry to offend you with my skewed perception of distance. Text slightly updated.

Posted by brooklynvegan | May 15, 2008 4:02 PM

>>>Since when is a place like Soouthpaw that is 4-5 blocks away from another "down the block"?

Sinceu when is a place like Southpaw "Soouthpaw"?

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2008 4:03 PM

"Sinceu when is a place like Southpaw "Soouthpaw"? "

Since "since" became "sinceu".

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2008 4:09 PM

frat boys and hipsters are pretty much the same thing at this point.

they just shop at different stores.

Posted by GEORGE | May 15, 2008 4:13 PM

grammar slap fight!

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2008 4:22 PM

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2008 4:29 PM

there is no such thing as "bad feedback"

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2008 4:30 PM

4:29...

why the hell are you reading brooklynvegan.

however I do agree the majority of hipsters are just frat guys in different clothes.

Posted by nick | May 15, 2008 4:33 PM

""PS Yuppies", That is so funny. What are you? 19 years old? Get a life. As for the 'tools' in the upstairs space, they probably came up from downstairs. I heard a band in there the other day that sounded so bad I almost cried with laughter. A bunch of clueless would-be-hipster dipshits listening to some loser making bad feedback. The Slope was so much better before all the Burg-Tards started coming down and clogging up 5th Ave. "

This comment is clearly one of the angry neighbors

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2008 4:35 PM

i think it'd be more accurate to say that hipsters are fratboys + hate. as in, hate for themselves, hate for each other. this board attests to that.

ps- i love flannel.

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2008 5:15 PM

Awesome! They didn't have to change the name to the
Sapphic Sapphire to stay open! Yay! Now bring back them nursing mommies!

Posted by blamedadog | May 18, 2008 9:57 AM