Posted in music on June 17, 2008

Santogold

Amy spotted the above sign in Red Hook today.

You probably already heard that Converse is giving away a song written by Pharrell Williams, N.E.R.D., Santogold and Julian Casablancas "as part of the brand's Century celebration". I put the whole press release for that one below....

Santogold

NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. - Converse, the creator of iconic shoes including the Chuck Taylor® All Star®, Jack Purcell® and One Star®, announced today that it had brought together the talents of Pharrell Williams, N.E.R.D., Santogold and Julian Casablancas as part of the brand's Century celebration. The artists recently joined forces to create a brand new, all original music track, "My Drive Thru," that will be distributed digitally free of charge to a global audience exclusively on converse.com and authorized Converse web sites around the world. The track will be released on Tuesday, June 10.

"I've always wanted to work with Julian and I'm a big fan of The Strokes. Santogold is super-talented and she cares about music so much that it's not just about sound, it's a visual aesthetic," said Pharrell Williams, the track's producer. "Working together on original music that crossed all of our inspirations was completely refreshing and I love the track. As for partnering with Converse, I only wear and support the things that I like. The Chuck Taylor is the golden goose egg."

Converse has long been associated with the worlds of music, sport, art and fashion. The brand's current Century celebration is largely inspired by its role in disrupting the status quo over the last 100 years. The Chuck Taylor shoe has been worn by musical icons ranging from Sid Vicious to current artists like Common and M.I.A.

"As an artist that is just breaking, being asked by Pharrell and Julian to join them on this project was a dream," said Santogold, whose debut CD was released in May 2008 to rave reviews. "My inspirations come from sources ranging from singers like Nina Simone and Grace Jones to bands like Devo. Working across musical genres was like creating a patchwork where I got to weave together various influences and allow them to co-exist in a fresh and original way."

In addition to collaborating on the track, the artists also participated in the creation of a music video that will be released during the summer. The song will be promoted, in part through Converse print, outdoor and online advertising tagged Three Artists, One Song. The advertising features the three artists as well as a range of emerging musical talent from across the globe, including Kid Sister, YACHT, Bradford Cox and members of Gallows, Fiery Furnaces, Does It Offend You, Yeah?, and Care Bears on Fire.

DOWNLOAD "MY DRIVE THRU" AT http://WWW.CONVERSE.COM

My Drive Thru - The Line Up:

Pharrell Williams
He can see sounds. Pharrell Williams has already made history for being one of the most successful and prolific producers to emerge during the last decade. As a part of the beat-making duo The Neptunes, Pharrell and his partner Chad Hugo have helped A-List pop stars sell millions of albums and even earn Grammy Awards for the likes of Justin Timberlake, Nelly, and Usher.

N.E.R.D.
Funk rock class is now in session. "N*E*R*D* is who we are. "It's our life," Pharrell would say in 2000, in describing the group that includes him, Chad and longtime friend and creative wunderkind, Shae. The three of them together combine for uninhibited explorations of sounds, emotion and truth, adhering to no agenda, subscribing to no rules. N*E*R*D* is the way they live their life, the way they see the world.

Santogold
Worth more than her weight in gold. Her genre of music can only be described as Santogold. She's a true alchemist in the music lab where she's crafted a liquid mix of new wave, Wall of Sound era pop, dub and twisted beats. Santi White's singular sound doesn't bow down to the expectations of mainstream radio. So if you're listening, Pop music, here's your cue.

Julian Casablancas
The underground front man. If you're looking for synchronized dance moves, you've got the wrong guy. Julian Casablancas may front indie rock superstars, The Strokes, but he always lets the music take center stage. With an obsession for songwriting that's borderline psychotic, it's his infectious hooks that take the spotlight.

damn, I better move my car

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2008 11:31 AM

how can it be that santogold has not got called out more for the fact that she is a blatant rip-off of mia?

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2008 11:50 AM

i thought santogold and mia were the same person

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2008 11:56 AM

Great song... NOT!

Posted by greg | June 17, 2008 12:06 PM

"Great song... NOT!"

1992, is that you??

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2008 12:11 PM

I'm really kinda perplexed by these MIA "rip-off" comments.... though I do hear them a lot. I'm assuming that they are in refferece to Santogold's remixed tracks that I agree sound similar but if you listen to her album it really is quite different beyond being great pop music with a big hip hop influence that makes you want to dance. One thing that I think would help put these comments to rest is if she performed live with a full band.... I think the album totally lends itself to a live band more than a DJ on stage.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2008 12:13 PM

The name of the song alone makes me want to vomit, but look how cooooooooool Julian looks sharing a foot with Santi. Potato sack race, here we come!

Posted by plumpdumpling | June 17, 2008 12:14 PM

i dont know, is it 1992??

perhaps we confirm with the ironic 1992 apparel that these jokers wear??

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2008 12:14 PM

I don't know who 1992 is, but to reiterate my above comment: that song sucks.

Posted by greg | June 17, 2008 12:37 PM

not MIA, Gwen Stefani

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2008 12:41 PM

As long as she can sell sneakers to the emerging Far East youth demographic, she's tops in my book.

Posted by Shit. Sandwich. | June 17, 2008 12:53 PM

converse stopped being cool when nike bought the co.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2008 1:04 PM

"He can see sounds.

Funk rock class is now in session.

Worth more than her weight in gold.

The underground front man."

is there really such a thing as a good artist description? better let the music speak for itself, which in this case isn't such a great idea maybe.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2008 2:44 PM

This song is tripping me out. So much wrong crap going on in the background. I don't want to dance. I hope they got a shit load of money for this.

Posted by Melissa Miserable | June 17, 2008 2:52 PM

'Santogold is super-talented and she cares about music so much that it's not just about sound, it's a visual aesthetic," said Pharrell Williams, the track's producer.'

Personally, I enjoy most of Santogold's music. And she's been a sweetheart when I've met her in person. However, the above quote from Pharrell sort of bothers me. CARING ABOUT MUSIC SHOULD JUST BE ABOUT SOUND. NOT about a visual aesthetic. Showmanship is one thing, but for crying out loud are we all still 15 years old?

Then again, Malcolm McLaren pretty much invented the Sex Pistols to sell t-shirts, so what the fuck do I know.

Posted by B | June 17, 2008 3:34 PM

"The three of them together combine for uninhibited explorations of sounds, emotion and truth"

"N*E*R*D* is the way they live their life, the way they see the world."

"If you're looking for synchronized dance moves, you've got the wrong guy."

Is it from the same guy of writes the items presentations for The Price Is Right? Good work buddy!

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 9:03 AM

"Malcolm McLaren pretty much invented the Sex Pistols to sell t-shirts, so what the fuck do I know. "

Not much about the Sex Pistols, that's for sure.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 9:20 AM

Every hipster in the world is a rip-off of everyone I knew in high school in 1985.

Also, all female artists are rip-offs of Betty Boop. All male artsits are a rip-off of a chimp banging a stick. You all suck!

NYEH!