Posted in To Do | dance | music on June 18, 2008

by Showtrotta

DOWNLOAD: You - OUOHOHO (I am Un Chien !! remix) (zSHARE MP3)

Dance Parade, Tompkins Square Park, May 2008 (cred)
Dance Parade

I spent last weekend out of town, so no reviews today. Luckily there's so much going on this weekend that my previously dance-less one is soon to be a distant memory. Here's what's happening just on Wednesday (TONIGHT - June 18, 2008) and Thursday alone:

show

Wednesday night there is a pretty big line-up at Studio B for the Youpi Party (flyer above). Appropriately "Youpi" is French for "Yahoo! or Yippee!" (at least according to wikipedia) and is also a group of French party-throwers who are having a one-off night in New York. In a land that was starting to seem like the Ed Banger crew's second home (they are here so often), Youpi has done a good job of bringing some fresh French acts our way.

I would call Naive New Beaters a cheeky French electro/rock/pop/rap/ihategenres band. If you check out the video below for "Live Good" you'll understand why:

I am Un Chien !!
I am

Despite having their share of effects, you hear alot of rock come through from I am Un Chien !!. I was going to remind you to download what I thought was a batty remix of You!'s "OUOHOHO" at the top of this post, but all the weirdness comes from the original (which you can hear on You!'s myspace).

Les Petits Pilous
Les Petits Pilous

Les Petits Pilous are probably the best known act on the bill for tonight's party. Another fresh artist from Germany's Boys Noize Records, Les Petis Pilous have enough electro bangers and remixes (for the likes of D.I.M., Chromeo, and Goose) to bring down the house as well as the man himself does it.

And from the depths of this electro-tinged party emerge I love my neighbours who seem to just be a straight up rock band...no laptop, no synths. Should be an interesting break from the rest of the evening. Check out some footage of them rocking the Youpi party at La Flèche D'or:

see what I mean?

Of course we can't let France have all the fun. BK's own Nick Catchdubs (who mixed the widely circulating Mixtape About Nothing by Wale) and The Captain (Trouble & Bass, Cut) will be behind the decks as well.

The show is 18+. There are no advanced tickets - $18 before midnight, $23 after midnight. 10pm doors.

Some other options for Wednesday:

flyer

Some folks aka Lloydski, Blu Jemz, and sTERRYo from Turntable Lab are deejaying the High Voltage party at the Annex. Be sure to check out Blu Jemz's latest installment of Turntable Lab L.A. Radio featuring guests Erol Alkan, DJ Scratch, and Arab Parrot.

Free with RSVP.

Also...Special Disco Version is happening at Santos Party House, which recently announced a crazy dance schedule for this summer. James Murphy and Pat Mahoney recently deejayed MoMA's Garden Party. Tonight at Santos they'll be joined by Tim Sweeney of Beats in Space.

Crystal Castles

Thursday night the dancing continues at Studio B with a free show from Crystal Castles (who are currently finishing up some US tour dates before heading back to Europe to play there some more). If you scrolled down and read the comments on the tour entry you're now probably aware of the sample controversy surrounding Crystal Castles. Things seem a bit clearer now that they've recently explained the situation to Pitchfork.

Franki Chan
Franki Chan

Some of Crystal Castles' US dates are part of a mini-tour Franki Chan and Radioclit have launched in addition to their Scion A/V tour (which begins on the 22nd, hitting Baltimore, Austin, Seattle, and Miami) in celebration of Scion's CD Sampler 21 - iheartcomix remixed. You can stream the cd here.

Radioclit
Radioclit

Woodhands from Toronto are also on the bill Thursday night. Electro-pop sounds about right for what they do, and they get the award for most amusing "about" I've read on myspace today:

woodhands is dirty electronic music. we are interested in emotional, sweaty dance floors. we want to make you cry while you're having sex. and it'll be the best damn sex of your life. and you'll be dancing. woodhands started in a basement in montreal, moved to europe, and is now making love to toronto and its environs.

Woodhands
Woodhands

Thursday's show at Studio B is free, no RSVP necessary. You should probably show up early since last time it sold out. Doors are at 9pm and it's 21+.

The last option for what is only the beginning of another crazy week in dance:

LA Riots are back in New York again and I could not be happier. Each time they come through their sets get better and better. Plus, in case you missed them (or if they were really awesome and you want to see them again) Nick Catchdubs and Naive New Beaters will also be doing their respective things at this party.

LA Riots

Free w/ RSVP

All that happens before it's even officially the weekend. Check back Friday for the rest of the week in dance...

Tags: showtrotta

in addition to that, Crystal Castles or someone in their "entourage" reported me to youtube authorities and had my video pulled and threatened with banning from youtube because I uploaded their performance from Studio B. thanks a lot, crystal castles!

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 2:46 PM

And even beatmatching software can't save him.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 2:46 PM

1..2..3..everyone's a dj! i think i saw ashley and mary kate dj too. it's kool. get yurself a bandana necklace, keys around your beltloop and you're all set to go. billyburg style!

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 2:54 PM

What time do Vivian Girls go on?

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 2:56 PM

ugh...why does Crystal Castles have to be 21+

Posted by Pedro | June 18, 2008 3:02 PM

2:46, same thing happened to me. But it's not necessarily CC. It could easily be the anti-CC activists trying to cause trouble.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 3:08 PM

I'm skeptical about Crystal Castle's response to the sampling controversy. It took them a long time to come out with this explanation. My guess is other folks will find samples within their other "released" tracks before too long...

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 3:09 PM

"can someone explain how someone with no DJing skills like "Dimitry!!!" can spin all these parties? - His sets are trainwrecks... And even beatmatching software can't save him."

as long as the DJ is playing good tunes, who cares about his "DJing skills"???

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 3:12 PM

how strick are studio b bouncers with ids?
can i get away with a fake or chalked id?

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 3:38 PM

as an alternative to the above "electro":

Thurs June 19 @ APT: GO!!! feat. Patrick Russell (Circus Company) + Derek Plaslaiko -- the 2nd installment of Derek's new monthly

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 3:58 PM

hahaha good tunes. Dimitry hahahah hahahah

dimitry is the worst. my ass going thru a distortion pedal sounds better then the shit he plays....

C&C MUSIC FACTORY

and yes some people do care about dj skills. it is all a popularity contests to all you 'scenesters'..

"man did you hear dimitry when he went from everybody dance know to push it by salt n pepper, that was so awesome and relevant. man hes got style and great tastes"

come on the guy is a total douche bag tool........

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 4:01 PM

the guys that check the doors are pretty bad ass, but fake id is always worth a shot?

also I think the reason our vids got pulled is Studio B ratted us out, I will have to go back and check the e-mail on who reported me, but I remember going like "who the fuck is this?"

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 4:02 PM

"http://www.myspace.com/crystaltheft"

thanks for continuing to spread this bullshit. it's called sampling. get over it.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 4:05 PM

My guess is Crystal Castles gets ruined by a bunch of whiny nerds white knighting for their precious chip tunes

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 4:44 PM

whoa, just got an email about this -- this will be THE event of the weekend. seriously. showtrotta, i urge you to check this out. i know you're more into electro than house/techno, but you might be surprised by this.

thomas melchior (perlon/cadenza/playhouse) @ bar13
friday june 20.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 4:52 PM

people who take the sampling theft charges seriously are probably the same people who think Coldplay stole songs from dirty projectors or whatever.

Posted by Freedom Williams | June 18, 2008 5:03 PM

Our future is here, and it's armed with two iPods, crazy photoshopped flyers with pictures of ironic celebrities, a Members Only and a pair of dirty white Vans. If you don't like the future, better die now.

Posted by Ceej | June 18, 2008 7:04 PM

How in the hell did I miss that I Am Un Chien !! is playing in New York tonight...?

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 7:40 PM

if you think dimitry's a bad dj, you must be fucking stupid

really. and he doesn't just get his name on the flyer for high voltage (that flyer they actually listed for this wednesday). he started that party, books every single dj or group that walks through that door, gets attention for his parties, and he does this all by himself... every single week

ohhh and he even booked crystal castles, that band that's considered like totally cool in "billyburg"

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 9:38 PM

Crytal Castles are playing at le royale on friday too, I'm gonna go get down.

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2008 9:26 AM

thnx Anon 9:26 for the tip...can't find any other info online tho?

Posted by Ethan & Alice | June 19, 2008 10:50 AM

Anybody who gives a shit about DJ's and their skills or lack thereof is a dummy.

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2008 11:11 AM

Dmitry is bad, The Captain is abso-fucking-lutely horrible, this DJ lineup reeeeeeeeks.

Drop the Lime would have been better in my opinion.

Posted by Alexia | June 19, 2008 12:24 PM

so, this is first come first serve, what do you think is a reasonable time to show up? 5 pm?

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2008 12:32 PM

I mean for Crystal Castles at Studio B...

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2008 12:33 PM

I was @ the Youpi party at like 11pm until 1am and there was no one there-I bet it got better after like 1 though. I love my neighbors were cool though, funny french dudes. Crystal Castles show should be a better showing!

Posted by pop guru | June 19, 2008 2:06 PM

5pm? good god i hope not everyone is planning on showing up at that time

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2008 5:58 PM

WOWWWW

what a fucking show!

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 2:06 AM

MORE REVIEWS PLEASE!

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 2:18 PM

In lieu of a blog, I'll share thoughts here:

First and foremost, CC are awesome. Fucking awesome.

--Radioclit played an interesting set, pretty solid throughout, a couple of (personal) highlights included Dubfire, some more minimal/housey stuff. I don't think it worked that well in the context of the crowd though: first, they simply didn't have enough time to create "sonic soundscapes" as minimalist techno is so lauded for doing. Second, people at studio B aren't exactly house heads, so some of the nuances might have been lost (I mean hell, people always dance harder when you know the song being played). Solid, but not great.

--Franki Chan was more up the alley of most of the people there. Mixed in some electro "bangers" as Hipster runoff likes to say, along with poppier stuff. Well suited DJ set to the crowd/time of night (i.e. people had some more alcohol in them, willing to shuffle feet).

Then came Woodhands. Having never heard them before, really unsure of what to expect. The lead singer was sorta douchey, "OH SHIT NEW YORK OH SHIT" and so on, but they hit some high notes. I will add that their performance was weakened a great deal a) by their fairly obvious parallels with Crystal Castles (Duo...Some animated screaming from the lead singer...kitsch-y sounds) and b) some idiot with dreds who decided it'd be a good idea to start moshing for the opening band (and the assorted morons who participated).

In fact, I'd say had Woodhands not played/had there been no retarded moshing, Crystal Castles might have been a perfect set. Ethan & Alice, per usual, took their fucking time getting on stage, subjecting the audience to a back-to-back-to-back Paper Planes/Nelly/random R&B song that only this one short girl with a flatbrimmed red Yankees hat on seemed to enjoy.

Whatever, this was all outweighed by the appearance of CC. They did their shit, it rocked, Alice is pretty hot, and it's a great performance in every sense of the word. Ethan/Claudio thinks/is pretty fucking cool. I think anyone who is still reading this is aware of why CC rocks, so let me give the one negative from the show: when you have to worry more about elbows than the drums, it doesn't make for the best performance atmosphere. I'm all for getting into one another's personal space and shit, but it can get scary at times. Then again, this was nothing compared to MIA's disastre of a show @ Coachella (where I left for actual fear of my safety), and I was in the front row, so that may have added to my less-than-comfortable experience.

BONUS: LE ROYALE W/ ETHAN KATH

So I went last night too, wondering what I was going to find with a Crystal Castles "DJ Set" (since no one answered my question in the post about it here on BV....hmm I like how when it comes time to evaluate a new band there are 23012381238 sarcastic comments, but no one can give any actually helpful information--my 2 cents on this whole "snarky comments are annoying, die hipsters" thing is that the comments really are funny, but it's sort of ridiculous that you sometimes can't find out real info when you need it). Ethan came on last, played a fine set on Traktor, although there wasn't enough of CC's own shit for my liking, Bronques from LNP was there but not really photog'ing, and the crowd had a much higher douchebag factor than Studio B.

I will say this though: the fact that a LastNightsParty groupie got to DJ for a MOTHERFUCKING HOUR when it was quite clear that she had NO IDEA how to work the decks, which would be alright, I guess, if she were at least playing decent stuff, but instead we got BEYONCE circa 2006, Mary J Blige circa 1995 (a truly wtf moment) is a testament to the perversion that is LNP. I like how Bronques' rise to fame/notoriety is on the backs/chests of exploited party girls, but when he's reached the summit of the party world, he's just a normal black dude hangin' out, not the wig-wearing weirdo he projects onto his website. It was refreshing to see that Ethan didn't interact with him at all-- truly a cool guy, unlike most everybody else.

happy, BV'ers? Someone link me to more pics from Studio B/Le Royale, I just wasted several minutes of my life typing this.

Posted by Ethan & Alice | June 21, 2008 7:39 PM

i went to Le Royale this friday and had some fun w/ friends. it took a while for Ethan(CC) to get on the decks. then he played a very nice mix of electro/techno dance music. i find it interesting to hear what music artists are into.

Posted by Anonymous | June 23, 2008 10:33 AM

Well, the pictures tell the story, Crystal Castles whatever all the other bullshit that seems to surround them, can absolutely bring down the house. Outside of Dan Deacon, who else can get the crowd going like that?

Posted by Anonymous | June 23, 2008 10:45 AM