Posted in hiphop | music | pictures on June 12, 2008

photos by Ryan Muir

MIA @ MoMA

M.I.A. played the same benefit that Special Disco Version did on Tuesday night ("to support the Museum's award-winning educational programs and the care, study, and exhibition of its collection") (June 10, 2008). M.I.A. also played a much bigger and more public and proper show at McCarren Pool in Brooklyn a few nights earlier. At MoMA, the cheapest ticket was $250.

MIA @ MoMA

I talked to one person who was at MoMA (but not at the black tie dinner that preceeded the dance party). They said...

It was really fun. The venue was spectacular. The show was so incredibly different from McCarren Pool. MIA didn't start until after 11. I think she's delightful and has an infectious energy no matter the setting, but this was definitely a performance that was catered to the event and the crowd. No wacky outfits, no political videos, no questions about whether we were choosing money or people, etc. Her mic didn't seem to be turned up enough, so her vocals sounded muddled at times. She made a comment about elitism that ironically elicited cheers and she asked the crowd if they had an extra $10 to donate to [didn't catch the cause]. The sightlines kind of sucked for a show with so much movement as there were two large poles on either side of the stage that frequently covered her. I'd say that about 30% of the attendees knew who she was. Again, so different from McCarren.

The crowd was fascinating. Black tie and cocktail dresses. Not my usual scene, obviously, but great people watching.

The stage background was decorated with charts and graphs depicting things like mortality and starvation rates. Like at McCarren, M.I.A. was joined on stage by Afrikan Boy (who told "anybody in the crowd with more than one dollar in they pocket to make some noise"). Unlike at McCarren, M.I.A. was joined on stage by Mos Def. He helped sing "Paper Planes". More pics from the party HERE and below.....

MoMA

MoMA

MoMA

MoMA

MoMAs

MoMA

MoMA

MoMA

MoMA

MoMA

MoMA

MoMA

And the rest are HERE.

And McCarren Pool ones HERE.

great shots by ryan, my fav is the well stocked beverage table!

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2008 9:11 AM

mia looks fantastic, wow. and now, based upon the aforementioned comments on the event, she again spoke up about people with money, albeit to a lesser degree than at the pool, and donating to funds. so let it be officially said that mia can talk a good game. the question is, can she walk the walk. should be interesting to see in the near future.

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2008 9:23 AM

M.I.A. - overrated, annoying , repetitive shit music

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2008 9:30 AM

douche nozzle: see pictures 22 & 25

Posted by merriam webster | June 12, 2008 9:40 AM

Gee, that event looks like a real hoot.

Also: to the red head front and center in photo #2: wanna be my baby MoMA?

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2008 9:48 AM

oh yeah, looks like her boobs are about to pop out of that dress. she looks like winona ryder.

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2008 9:59 AM

before all the haters start w. their rants, let me share my version of the night:

i had written maya off as lame for partaking in this sort of bourgeois affair, but after my bf convinced me to go 'hang out' outside just to listen - our night turned out pretty fucking fun. we magically worked our way into the snazzy party,
hit the open bar and made it for the stage.

MIA came out and started the set with hussle which was totally appropriate.

I have to say - she looked AMAZING!!!!
no funky wig or headpiece, just herself in that cosmic dress. H*O*T!

cherry, low-b, & ab were great as well. very fun vibe and even though the crowd didn't know what to make of her, they weren't snooty about it at all. or at least i didnt notice, because i was too busy shakin it to the ground. oh yeah and half didnt even seem to recognize mos. it also seemed like there maybe wouldve been an encore, but the crowd def wasnt as rowdy as usual.

its funny because i also caught the McPool show, and while it seemed the complete opposite, it was very similar -

1.MP annoying immature brats = Moma stuffy clueless peeps
2.MP bad sound setup = Moma bad stage setup
3.above all though: MIA - no matter the venue or the crowd, still has that fiery spark and energy. *PRICELESS....

its good to know that while i had my doubts about the benefit, MIA was still herself.
-funny MIA quote of the night: "put your cellphones up... dont worry, we wont steal em"

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2008 10:00 AM

i've never posted a negative comment on this site and think it's ridiculous that people do...that being said...m.i.a just seems like such a fucking scam to me. i don't know...i saw her at siren fest and it was awful. i was so excited to see what the hype was about and so ready to enjoy it but it was just simply terrible. maybe i need to listen to the albums to "get it." it's like congrats your dad is a terrorist and you make generic political diatribes onstage.

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2008 10:06 AM

^^thank you. i would have probably rather gone to see the moma show over the pool as well. something about annoying immature brats makes me want to be around stuffy clueless people any day of the week. i would like to see mia put her money/time/effort where her mouth is though with all that she preaches or she's going to start to come across looking like a fake.

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2008 10:06 AM

wait a minute is that the singer from the National in that pic with the umbrella, looks like him kind of.

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2008 10:08 AM

Posted by Jeff | June 12, 2008 10:13 AM

Baby MoMa... classic.

Posted by JWeir | June 12, 2008 10:27 AM

"M.I.A. - overrated, annoying, repetitive shit music"

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2008 10:40 AM

Die yuppie scum.

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2008 10:48 AM

>Baby MoMa... classic.

technically, it would be Baby MoMA.

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2008 11:01 AM

lots and lots and lots of anger here...haha, it makes me laugh in a feel-sorry-for-you kinda way. people, if you don't like = don't participate. it's a pretty simple equation. if you would rather get caught up in how people look and the "scene" they cause, you're in luck! there is plenty of commercial trash music out there all over the radio dial for you to soak up. go for it.

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2008 11:03 AM

Mighty Mos reppin that RBG!

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2008 11:07 AM

>Off-topic, but who makes that New Era hat with the space shuttle on it? I've been searching for it through Google, but no love yet...Thanks...

um, in the time it took you to search and post this, you could have called the new era flagship store in manhattan to get your answer.

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2008 11:16 AM

Where's Obama at?

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2008 11:25 AM

daft punk!

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2008 11:29 AM

19 posts before an Obama joke, wow. I'm a bit stunned, people are slacking today.

Posted by mp77 | June 12, 2008 11:31 AM

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2008 11:42 AM

yuppity.

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2008 11:44 AM

"Also: to the red head front and center in photo #2: wanna be my baby MoMA?"

Maybe. How big is your trust fund?

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2008 11:47 AM

"Paperlate" by Genesis >>>>>> "Paper Planes" by M.I.A.

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2008 11:50 AM

"^^yes, that would be because that joke is o-l-d. unfortunately, annon 11:25 hasn't picked up on that."

Unfortunately, anon 11:42 misspelled "anon."

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2008 11:59 AM

Nice I'm sure that between speaking "about people with money" and having those hunger charts as a backdrop, she really shocked that crowd to their very core. It's amazing that she still was able to "be herself", what a credit to her integrity!

She's just another one in a long line of court jesters entertaining the nobility. Only worse because it's not exactly do or die for her, she just thought it would be a hoot. Congrats M.I.A., you're gon-na make it after allllll.

Posted by dola | June 12, 2008 12:01 PM

Yeah..the only people of color there on on stage....

also... how can MIA play this but not Bonnaroo a few days later.?
I can see why she cancelled her european tour as it is a bit intensive but she cant honor her commitment to fairly major festival and do one more set only a few days after this show and then take time off ?

I'd be pissed if I were Bonnaroo...

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2008 1:15 PM

Um, MIA is playing Bonnaroo.

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2008 1:17 PM

What time does Obama drink McCain's milkshake at? HURRY UP

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2008 1:52 PM

unfortunately, anon 11:59 is a pedant.

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2008 2:06 PM

I totally predicted that outfit!

Posted by huddy | June 13, 2008 2:43 PM