Posted in music | pictures | tour dates on June 30, 2008

photos by Lori Baily

Peter Murphy

Murphy's current Retrospective tour culls from both his solo work and Bauhaus's songs, particularly those on its spring-released "Go Away White," a surprisingly fine recording after the quartet's 15-year recording hiatus. But, with Bauhaus, arguably the band who invented the Goth rock movement in 1979, once again disbanded, and this time with a sense of finality, Murphy is airing the new songs with a three-piece backing band, which includes drummer-for-hire Nick Lucero (Queens of the Stone Age). "They might've played with other people, but they're mine now," said Murphy with vampirish relish. A new solo album was completed, he also assured. [Boston.com]
Lori went to see Peter Murphy, but left a big fan of opener Ali Eskandrian (June 26, 2008). The rest of the tour dates, and more pictures from the Blender/Gramercy Theater show, below....

Ali Eskandarian...

Sat, Jul 12 - Dallas, TX - House of Blues
Sun, Jul 13 - San Antonio, TX - TBA
Thur, Jul 17 - Oporto, Portugal - Festival Mares Vives
Sat, Jul 19 - Jarocin, Poland - JAROCIN FESTIVAL

undead undead undead!

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2008 11:36 PM

Did they play any older Bauhaus tracks?

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2008 11:52 PM

This gothing rocks!

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2008 2:22 AM

Yes they played older Bauhaus stuff. She's in Parties, an acoustic version of Bela...I'm horrible with setlists. I'm a huge fan of Peter Murphy's solo work, so hearing the old Bauhaus stuff was not the highlight of the show for me. I would've loved to hear some brand new solo material. That being said, the new Bauhaus songs sounded very tough and went over well. He covered Transmission by Joy Division on the second night, it was amazing.

Peter Murphy has nonstop energy and is very goofy and witty. He even had a question and answer moment with the audience when he handed the mic around. Friday night was definitely one of the best shows I've seen.

Posted by Lori | July 1, 2008 4:54 AM

The cover of Transmission was in deed amazing!! But that opener sucked!

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2008 8:52 AM

The opener was the worst shit I've ever seen in my life. Whoever said that they enjoyed him must be deaf. On the otherhand,Peter Murphy was awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2008 9:25 AM

that opener's guitar playing was on par with that of a 10 year old playing guitar hero..it was just pathetic..

PM rocked it!

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2008 9:32 AM

I know I'm in the minority but I really loved Ali Eskandarian. I think his lyrics feel very honest and his singing style seems very off the cuff and natural. He's a very brave performer. I get a lot of Marc Bolan vibes off him. I think he's extremely talented and he's a good choice as an opener for Peter Murphy.

Posted by Lori | July 1, 2008 10:42 AM

Thanks Lori for sharing these wonderful shot! They are nice reminders of a wonderful experience. Peter sounds wonderful and he was so gracious and fun! (I liked Ali too, after some consideration. He'd have been better without the space-music accompaniment, but I enjoyed his energy and passion).

Posted by Cynthia | July 1, 2008 2:41 PM

this was the best show i have seen in a long time. almost every song kicked ass. they played for over 2 hours. they were filming a dvd which i can't wait to get. peter sounded amazing and the rest of the band was great. great venue too besides no ac but we stuck it out for the full 2 plus hours and it was worth it!

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2008 4:40 PM

pete murphy needs to join the hairclub for men. damn, my idols are getting old, which means i'm getting old as well. fuck it, he still rocks out.

Posted by god below | July 1, 2008 11:20 PM

Great show, up front the whole time, blazing hot in the place but it was worth it. Just wish I didn't have to be there for the opening act, it's more than I could do but that doesn't mean I can't say that he flat out sucked.

Posted by Anonymous | July 2, 2008 12:04 PM

Jacksonville show 7-4-08

Opening act, Ali Eskandrian, was fucking brillant with his stage presence. Was reminded of Suicide. His partner in crime also did a good job working with all the various pedals, drum machines, and other noise makers. A band to be loved by obviously the few people that still have decent taste in music.

Posted by Anonymous | July 5, 2008 11:51 AM

Murph was excellent in Thursday's show. The final encore, Your Face, was very haunting. Ali Eskabibble and his sidekick (Dr. Who?) were amusing - they seemed like a Sat Night Live skit. I especially liked when Dr. Who spilled beer on his beard and tried to wipe it off whilst knobtwisting. How embarrassing, unless it was intentional?

Last time I saw PM it was at the old Ritz and Nine Inch Nails opened. Trent Reznor was just a tad better than old Ali. Fortunately the opening act this time around was mercifully brief.

Murph did two tracks off of Go Away White for anyone who's interested - when some fans applauded as he announced he was going to perform "Endless Summer of the Damned" Murph said, "who else could sing them?" I agree with the poster who prefers Murphy solo to Bauhaus but nonetheless the performance of "She's In Parties" was a high point of the show...I like melodica (New Order, etc.) and it was nice to see Murph playing melodica and keyboards. The rendition of Bela Lugosi's Dead was interesting - Murphy played 12 string and started out singing Strange Kind of Love but it morphed into Bela's dead. "Acapella Bela" a friend called it. I taped it on my cellphone...quality is not stellar but you can make it out. Interesting. Seemed like a good time was had by all, including the performers.

Posted by nln | July 6, 2008 2:20 PM

I saw Ali Eskandarian and Peter Murphy in Houston last night. Peter Murphy was fantastic.

Ali Eskandarian definitely had a different sound. With his scarf, I kept thinking that Ali looked just like Epstein from "Welcome Back, Carter".

Posted by KMY | July 11, 2008 4:29 PM