Posted in music | pictures on June 20, 2008

(most) photos by Eric M. Townsend

REM @ MSG

Stipe, Buck, Mills, and their two amigos came out whaling and they never let up. Playing only a couple of ballads, and everything being short and sweet, R.E.M. made the case for arena rock to live on just a little bit longer. The hypnotic goings on behind the band - a series of screens that relayed the scene on stage as if it was an already edited and produced performance video - were not only beyond impressive, they were actually distracting. At one point, it was even safe to wonder if the show would have been half as interesting without it. But the ferocity of "What's the Frequency, Kenneth?" and "Bad Day" easily silenced that. Other highlights included the Mike Mills-led "Don't Go Back to Rockville", the Johnny Marr-joined "Fall on Me", "Losing My Religion", "Supernatural Superserious", "The One I Love", and "Man on the Moon". Michael Stipe did something I never thought he did...ever: He smiled and laughed a lot. In his dapper striped suit, the ever chatty, chrome domed Stipe had his usual political things to say but had even more to say in the field of being friendly, open, and inviting. Like the band's music.
[Sonic Parthenon]
More pictures from last night's show at MSG (June 19, 2008), below....

REM @ MSG

Modest Mouse played before R.E.M...

REM @ MSG

Erik got there too late to see the National (they went on at 7pm sharp), but he did spot audience members John McEnroe, Peter Sarsgaard, Maggie Gyllenhaal, an Olsen twin, AND - strangely without his bodyguards - Eugene Mirman...

REM @ MSG

Naftels took this pic of Johnny Marr on stage with R.E.M....

REM @ MSG

Workinpana took some pictures too. A slightly different perspective...

R.E.M. Setlist: (via)

Living Well is the Best Revenge
These Days
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
Bad Day
--------------------
Supernatural Superserious
Losing My Religion
Begin The Begin
Fall On Me
Man on the Moon
Modest Mouse later played a 2nd show at Music Hall of Williamsburg.

What time does Daft Punk sample R.E.M. beyond impressive and actually distracting?

Posted by greg | June 20, 2008 9:10 AM

ugh, what an annoying review from sonic parthenon. more on point is from here:

Quick Thoughts Written bycountfeed on 2008-06-20 00:50:01

Just got back. Highlights: *Harborcoat!!! *Heron House!! *Pretty Persuasion! Rockville! Driver 8! *The back-to-back-to-back of Rockville, Driver 8, and Harborcoat *The fact that 3 songs were played from Reckoning, more than from any other record, sans Accelerate (when was the last time this happened?) *Horse to Water returns to the setlist Lowlight: *Exact same encore as previous night, sans Vedder (since he has his own band to attend to), when the setlist listed 2 other possibilities instead of Begin: Auctioneer or Second Guessing (both of which would have been more welcome than BTB, IMHO) Still another great show. I cannot wait for ATL!

Posted by jan janson | June 20, 2008 9:13 AM

It was a great show. Lots of old chestnuts, including three songs from Reckoning, my dark-horse favorite early-period album of theirs, and “Let Me In,” off of 1995’s much-maligned Monster, done up in multiple acoustic guitar and organ (the original is just a ton of melodic feedback). Michael Stipe is a consummate showman. The crowd was pretty good, but you could tell some people were annoyed that they weren’t playing “their hits” (i.e., “Losing My Religion,” which they did play during the encore, thus allowing the two mooks in front of me to leave).

Which kind of leads me to this: To have such a huge fanbase, even if it’s leftover from the mid-90s when they had hit albums Automatic for the People and Out of Time, is bizarre for a band as weird as R.E.M. I mean they are a really fucking weird band: They are dorks. Weird dorks. Mike Mills is a dork, the kind of guy that the mook in front of me probably used to beat up in high school. Michael Stipe is gay — not usually a cheered-for-by-jocks demographic — and sings about summer camp and aluminum tasting like fear. I suppose Peter Buck is relatively normal. But how did this band ever get this big?

Posted by Hunter | June 20, 2008 9:19 AM

sigur ros tickets already sold out. can't believe hipsters were up at 9 AM

Posted by butternuts | June 20, 2008 9:28 AM

GREAT FUCKING SHOW

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 9:35 AM

REM killed it last night. way better than Jones Beach show. i'm still smiling.

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 9:36 AM

Great show last night. I can't wait for the Cure tonight (a portion of the show will be broadcast on the FUSE network).

The National played an excellent set. Modest Mouse were ok, but I didn't love their setlist. At least they eschewed playing "Float On".

REM have an incredible live presence and the crowd was amped. Highlights for me were "Pretty Persuasion," "Driver 8", "Don't Go Back to Rockville," and "Fall On Me." Yeah, I'm old....so was most of the crowd.

I only wish that REM played "Texarcana". I love that song. "So Central Rain" would have been nice too, but you can't have everything.

Posted by Dan | June 20, 2008 9:37 AM

hearing the older songs was amazing (rockville, these days, driver 8, begin the begin etc)! the crowd was horrible - rarely were they into it. it seemed like stipe was bored & going through the motions. they should stop playing such large venues & get back their "roots".

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 9:38 AM

Wow, thanks for the reviews, looks like a nice show.

BTW- My Morning Jacket singles are up on TM for Radio City tonight.

But really thanks for the REM content.

Posted by rescueblues | June 20, 2008 9:39 AM

Modest Mouse were weeeeak last night. Johnny Marr is so wasted in that band. He should join REM full time.

The National, however, rocked it. Very impressed they pulled it off in that space.

Posted by maitai | June 20, 2008 9:39 AM

Sorry, Sonic Parthenon, you lost me in the very first sentence of that paragraph.

They came out 'whaling'? Really?

Oh, if only they'd taken the stage dressed like the Gorton's guy, harpoons in hand. That would have been something to see.

Posted by Mark | June 20, 2008 9:41 AM

The show rocked.Probably the best REM show I have seen at MSG.

Glad "Leaving New York" made the setlist for New York.Beautiful song."Ignoreland" was on fire live.The unplugged "Let Me In" was so emotional and moving.It was great to hear the Reckoning songs too.

Stipe seemed distracted by the moron/morons in the front row in the begining.Asking one if he needs earplugs to keep sleeping.But really warmed up by the second half.

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 9:48 AM

Sure, Mark: because you come to BrooklynVegan for the quality prose.

Posted by Songs About Knives | June 20, 2008 9:49 AM

Mark, this definition of 'whaling' is even funnier:

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 10:03 AM

" But how did this band ever get this big? "

Because they right great songs and put on great live shows. Fortunately, sometimes that's enough.

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 10:03 AM

REM were just amazing last night. The National were great - "Thanks for showing up at 7pm sharp to see The National." They played (going from memory, order prob off a bit):

Start A War
Brainy
Baby We'll Be Fine
Squalor Victoria
Slow Show
Secret Meeting
Apartment Story
Mistaken For Strangers
Fake Empire
Mr. November

Matt jumped into the crowd during Mr. November.

I am not a fan at all of Modest Mouse, so I have no opinion on them except to say that it's a shame that they are the band Johnny Marr is playing with.

REM were just flat out awesome. Wow. In the encore they thanked the national and called this "the big homecoming for Brooklyn's own", or something like that.

The National - A
Modest Mouse - C
R.E.M. - A+

Posted by cee | June 20, 2008 10:03 AM

whoever said that the crowd wasn't into probably wasn't there because I have never been to a show at MSG where 90% of the people were on their feet the whole time, singing, and dancing around to the music

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 10:08 AM

crowd was totally into it where i was - standing and singing and dancing as 10:08 said. it was what an arena show should be.

Posted by cee | June 20, 2008 10:11 AM

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 10:13 AM

"True story: after the Rockville, Driver 8, Harborcoat trio the guy behind me yelled, "enough of this shit Mike, play something good!""

wow, thats pathetic. im sure there were a lot of stupid frat boys there

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 10:17 AM

to add to the fun celeb sightings list - Susan Sarandon, Julia Stiles.

Posted by dfg | June 20, 2008 10:25 AM

great show. the crowd felt really warm with a mix of old, sort of new, new, and even some virgin R.E.M. fans. It felt like we gave R.E.M. a good welcome back to MSG.
The National were soothing and elegant yet rocked out - very nice.
MM - i didn't think they were okay, not as bad as everyone is saying. The dual drum set was really cool and the bassist was decent too.

Posted by pm | June 20, 2008 10:27 AM

sat next to michael stipe at dinner on tuesday. suck it.

Posted by baby genius | June 20, 2008 10:28 AM

Does anyone have the set list for The National?

Posted by ME | June 20, 2008 10:31 AM

Missed The National - we didn't know they'd be so punctual. MM are great musicians and have some great tunes but the lead singer ruins them all w/his lack of good singing voice. REM were excellent! Glad to hear so many older songs. Where were all these celebrities? I looked all over the front floor area and saw no one except someone who looked like a young Nell Campbell.

ps- many frat boys, yes. but one of them in the front row sang all the words to many songs.

Posted by Steph | June 20, 2008 10:36 AM

olsen twins were drunk and dancing all retarded. their little friends were like, i don't know any of these songs.

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 10:38 AM

the national setlist:
boring suck
sucky bore
boredom >
snoozefest
time for bed >
please learn to sing, not mumble
more opiates please
sucky sucky bore bore

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 10:39 AM

"to add to the fun celeb sightings list - Susan Sarandon, Julia Stiles."

i would assume tim robbins was also there. i saw him at the pogues last year, he always goes to shows

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 10:40 AM

(Don't Go Back to ) Rockville? Incredible.

Before Ignoreland, Mike said they we going to play a really old song and I'm thinking Boxcars(?), Gardening At Night(?)....

Hey, Pretty Persuasion, Harborcoat, Begin the Begin, These Days, Driver 8, Heron House, Fall On Me w/Johnny, no compliants here. I was hoping for Headmaster Ritual when Johnny came out ;-)

On the crowd, they were not into it until the obvious standards came out (Losing My Religon, The One I Love, etc...) I checked out the floor during the Reckoning songs and the crowd was Standing Still (sorry, couldn't resist). I bet Maggie Gyllenhaal was saying, "Can't wait to get that new record to hear Pretty Persuasion. How retro! I hope they have the words!"

I would have preferred less of the new record and some oldies. I mean, something, anything from Murmur? West of the fields? Catapult? At least Radio Free Europe. Throw us a bone man.

But, they were great! great! great! 2 hours! Amazing!

Now, off to Radiohead later this summer.

Posted by Sean | June 20, 2008 10:40 AM

Here's a link to a video I took of The National closing out their set with "Mr November" last night: http://vimeo.com/1202697

I'm pretty sure they went on right at 7pm. It was alot of show. The National were fantastic, by the way.

Posted by liane | June 20, 2008 10:41 AM

and by boring suck you mean awesomeness?

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 10:42 AM

off topic, but how come no one's posted anything about the My Bloody Valentine reunion show at ICA? It's been a week since the shit went down... Maybe Kevin Shields is writing the reviews.

Posted by come backs | June 20, 2008 10:46 AM

No 10:39 that was Modest Mouse's set list. Should have never seen them again after the Bowery shows.

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 10:50 AM

People in my section (423) were crap. Everyone looked miserable and they sat down for the entire show. At one point some people actually complained to the MSG idiot patrol that they couldn't see because of us standing. Get the fuck outta here. It's a concert, stay at home and sit.

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 10:52 AM

Sean,
come on man, there were 8 songs from before the move to warner brothers. That's more oldies than I would have expected. A lot of them were songs they would never have played on tours in the 90s. I thought is was a great career spanning mix.

They managed to be the humble little band of the 80s, and the mega-band of the 90s at the same time while being very true to who they are now. . . an impressive feat . . .

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 10:52 AM

yep, the national sucks. didn't go to this show, but rem are great great great.

saw modest mouse at MHoW. pretty good.

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 10:53 AM

I can't believe Brooklyn Vegan didn't have a photographer there for The BROOKLYN band...The National were AMAZING, and Modest Mouse were the worst band I have ever seen.

Posted by Rose | June 20, 2008 11:00 AM

10:52,

You're right. My bad. But I can't help it cause I LOVE THEM SO MUCH. They were amazing.

Posted by Sean | June 20, 2008 11:02 AM

Awesome show!!!

I too think this was my best REM concert ever, and i saw the last MSG show, and i saw them at Jones beach... I've also seen them in Naples Italy a few years ago, that was amazing too...

Great energy, setlist was amazing, some suprises, love the old stuff, 1/2 the new stuff was good, 1/2 the new stuff sucked, but 28 songs or so! wow, such a great time!!!

The National was fantastic! Modest Mouse I really did not enjoy, BUT it was nice to hear "walls are paper thin" and "custom concern" it reminded my of my college years...great songs.

REM is still amazing, i will see them every time they come around, they really know how to rock.

Posted by Dave Shichman | June 20, 2008 11:05 AM

I'm happy to know, that the Olsen twins are having a good week.

Posted by Netty | June 20, 2008 11:08 AM

I blame the Olsen twins for not getting any tix to Sigur.

Posted by Netty | June 20, 2008 11:09 AM

I saw Zooey Deschanel outside. She was taking a picture with someone. God that must be annoying, always having people ask you to take their picture with you.

Posted by Hunter | June 20, 2008 11:19 AM

I was sitting at the stiffs section too.The only time they got up was to take a leak.

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 11:19 AM

what happened to the second encore?
I was expecting ITEOTWAWKI as the closer.

They were fast to get of the stage.Probably to get some z's before catching Modest Mouse at Williamsburg later that night.

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 11:51 AM

they haven't been doing two encores

five songs in the one encore and that's it.

they've stopped playing ITEOTWAWKI. Jones Beach was an exception (probably due to the weather)

Jill Hennessy was there, looking fantastic and was totally into the show.

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 11:59 AM

Great show...Harborcoat the highlight. Modest Mouse is UNLISTENABLE ...ABSOLUTE SHITE. The hallways were filled with people saying the same thing. I thought the days of headliners sabotaging the openers sound mix were long gone...guess not.

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 12:21 PM

"I blame the Olsen twins for not getting any tix to Sigur."

you mean the Olsen Olsen twins?!!? zinnngggg!!

Posted by Bobby the Rookie | June 20, 2008 12:25 PM

The best show in NYC this weekend is in NJ.

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 12:25 PM

The drunk hippie lady behind me kept screaming "7 Chinese Brothers!" the whole time.Like they would play that if she yelled it between booze enough.

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 12:28 PM

My belated take....

The National were great. Their sound augmented by keys/horn filled out the garden, very impressive. Funny reminder of the Warsaw show when CYHSY opened for them and 1/2 the audience left. Now look at 'em. Local boys done good.

MM. As much as I wanted to like the new album, its boring. They have become a one-trick pony. Marr's guitar was really low in the mix and just wasted. Best part of the show was watching the 'bro's get down.

REM. Good show, but they were working against an apathetic audience. Reality is REM have not played a small venue since Green and won't be going back. Loved Harbor Coat and even some of the new ones. I would say they were as good as expected. Now if for some crazy reason they would do a small club show (ala DM at irving/bowery)that would be insane. You can tell they are a great live act, its just the venue size.

My tip to REM fans, search out REM Rising on the normal BT sites. Great show from 1982.

Posted by mewidmer | June 20, 2008 12:31 PM

^^^^^
Above poster is a tool.

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 12:34 PM

Wish they would stop playing "Losing My Religion" so the tossers who stood up for the one song they knew wouldn't have bothered showing up. Also, Anon 10:52, the 400 section at MSG is almost always a sitting crowd. Sometimes I buy tix up there for that specific reason.

Posted by sigur ros at MoMA was better than the bitter complainers complain bitterly about | June 20, 2008 12:37 PM

Actually mewidmer I think you need tp go back earlier for small venues. the Green tour was mostly arenas too. I even think they played their first MSG show on the document tour, not sure. . .

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 12:41 PM

Electrolite (one of my favorites) from last night

your out of sight...

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 12:49 PM

Document Tour was 2 nites at Radio City but they were doing arenas elsewhere. First MSG gigs were GREEN.

PS: REVEAL and UP...if made by no name band, would be hailed as classics...but its tough when you have the bar set so high on your debut LP (Murmur)

Finally...Bill Rieflin is AMAZING drummer. If you had to fill Berry's shoes, he's was the right pick

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 12:50 PM

12:50, I agree. It's too bad that they don't play any of the weirder stuff (Airportman, Falls to Climb) from Up. Around the Sun wasn't so hot, but there's still a lot to like on it. I dunno, I'm just a big fan -- to me they can do (almost) no wrong.

Posted by Hunter | June 20, 2008 12:56 PM

Awesome show. Didn't see the opening acts so when Michael Stipe introduced Johnny Marr in the encore I was like "WHOOAAA..." Didn't realize Marr was touring with MM. Julia Stiles was one row in front of me. She seemed to be into it a bit, though she left her seat early in the set.

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 1:01 PM

12:37 sigur ros,

EXACTLY!

Posted by Sean | June 20, 2008 1:08 PM

to the genius who asked, "how did REM get so big?"

they were only responsible for 25 years of definitive american alternative music, essentially defining the genre throughout the 1980s. they're not referred to as the godfathers of alternative music for nothing.

regards,
mike mills

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 1:22 PM

I was little disappointed too that they played nothing from UP and Reveal.

Around The Sun is such an underrated album (by even the band).I was personally happy to hear them play "The Outsiders" and "High Speed Train" from it on their 2004 show.Both songs are favorites of mine.

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 1:27 PM

who were the 6 idiots (3 couples) front row and center that could not manage to get out of their seats and even clap between songs until the encore? How lame. They had the best seats in the house, everybody around them was dancing and into the show and they sat their with their legs and arms crossed. The one chick even managed to get Stipes harmonica that he threw to the dude in the second row. Too bad he wasn't paying attention and could not catch it.

Posted by d | June 20, 2008 1:49 PM

how come no one is talking about the whaling? the review is accurate. they went onstage and killed a whale with a harpoon. it was DISGUSTING and WRONG. i thought r.e.m. would be more animal friendly than that with the whole gay/green/liberal thing. my friend insists the whale was fake, but i really don't think so. if that whale was fake then so was the r. kelly tape. and even if it was a fake whale, why? why start your show with a whale murder? r.e.m., you should be fucking ashamed. i cannot support this band anymore.

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 2:01 PM

Harborcoat was played
I came.

Everyone around me seemed dead.
Section 11. Awful crowd back there.
I felt alone.

But..

they played Harborcoat.
And I came.

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 2:11 PM

"REM killed it last night. way better than Jones Beach show. i'm still smiling.

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 9:36 AM"

Yeah way better if you remove one critical factor. THE SOUND you stupid piece of shit. Jones Beach blew this show away in that. But hey who gives a shit about that, right? The most important thing about going to concerts is seeing the celebs who showed up.

"The show rocked.Probably the best REM show I have seen at MSG.

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 9:48 AM

Too funny. The best show at a crappy venue. Thats like wow last night i had the best meal i have ever had at Denny's.

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 2:18 PM

2:18PM

SUCK MY KISS

i mean, dick..

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 2:28 PM

r.e.m.ories returning...

In the fall of '81, reading so much about the Radio Free Europe single in the rock rags -- had to rush down to Bleecker Bob's to pick up the Hibtone 7-inch single. And it was as great as they were saying...

not being able to get tickets for their New Years Eve show in Dec. '81 at Danceteria...

heading back upstate to my hometown in February of 1982 to see R.E.M. opening for the English Beat. Strong-arming my older brother (the owner of the wheels) to be sure we got to the show early enough to catch R.E.M.'s opening slot. We may have missed a song or two, but the band were great playing in front of a bunch of college kids who didn't have a clue...

finally seeing R.E.M. headline at the Beacon Theater in '84 - the tour for Reckoning. Super sweaty, high-energy show - the audience on their feet and dancing throughout the entire set.

getting bigger - at the Felt Forum in '85 with the Feelies opening. New textures being added to the template for the Fables of the Reconstruction tour.

even bigger - sold-out Radio City Music Hall in '8 for the Lifes Rich Pageant Tour. Had orch. seats but as soon as the lights dimmed, rushed down the aisle towards the stage along with dozens of others. No security hassles, no problems -- the crowd dancing and singing for the entire evening...

after that R.E.M. headed to the stratosphere, and to the sports arenas. Glad to hear they still got their game.

Posted by drewo | June 20, 2008 2:59 PM

Who is this silly little freak whose always got a hard on for the sound at Jones Beach? He's been on about this on every thread about REM since these shows were announced.

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 3:23 PM

First off, the National were EXCELLENT....I was surprised their sound was so full, even with only 1/10th of the Garden filled for their set. Great job by the boys.

Highlight for me from REM's set was "Let Me In"...fuckin' awesome version, great song. RIP Kurt.

Posted by Tremagnum PI | June 20, 2008 3:28 PM

For the 20 minutes that Modest Mouse was on at Jones Beach, they were awesome. I don't know what happened between Saturday and last night, but they sucked donkey balls last night. I think they sucked the energy from the entire audience. R.E.M. should have gone on after the National.

Also, the guy who thinks MSG is the worst venue should have his head examined. I have been to a lot of concerts and I have to say that without fail, artists tend to give more of an effort when playing at the Garden than anywhere else. Sure there maybe celebs, but I can honestly say that I have never seen a bad show there.

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 3:53 PM

I must have missed the whole whaling incident.That is disgusting if they did.

But i am still disgusted at the black lips killing that poor chicken on stage at last year's sirenfest.Since when has it become cool to kill live animals on stage?

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 4:06 PM

kurt who?

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 4:08 PM

To the dumbass above,Let Me In was written about the Kurt in Nirvana.

Last night's performance of that song was very moving and beautiful.

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 4:10 PM

To the omnipotent fuckhead(Anon 3:23pm) who seems to think he knows who every anonymous person is, I doubt that there is just one person talking about the sound being better at Jones Beach then msg because IT IS A FUCKING FACT. I would say you are the silly little freak but good luck with that anonymous visualizer.

And to the total deaf shithead or a Live Nation/Cablevision employee(Anon 3:53pm) who says the sound is awesome at msg and that bands play the best there i really can only say one thing

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

You, my stupid friend, have possibly made THE dumbest comment on this blog and that aint an easy thing to do. Nice try though.

Posted by A Manhattan Not Brooklyn Asshole | June 20, 2008 4:24 PM

hey drewo

the felt forum shows were the life's rich pagean shows in november 86

radio city was fables. and again on document

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 4:28 PM

^^^^ thanks for the correx -- r.e.m.ories blurred.

Also the REM/English Beat show was April '83, I thinks. (the Beat were great that night as well).

Posted by drewo | June 20, 2008 4:31 PM

yay,someone uploaded "Fall On Me" with thee Johnny Marr

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 6:04 PM

umm.... 4 photos of r.e.m.? really?

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 7:27 PM

New York Times review has even more photos of Michael Stipe in that dapper striped suit.

That suit is hot.I like it even better then the white suit he wore in the 2004 show.

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 10:57 PM

The sound was OK at MSG. It's a big venue, hard to have great sound. I was in section 6.

The night before, I saw Stevie Wonder at Jones Beach and the sound was phenomenal. Hard to believe a large outdoor theater can have such great sound.

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2008 11:34 PM

Anyone still listening to REM since that clunker called "Out of Time" has no either no taste in music or would sellout the moment they could. Kinda like REM.

They haven't been really good since Document.

I once read an interview with Bill Berry, Peter Buck, and Michael Stipe from 1993 where they said they had made a deal that on Dec. 31st 1999, they'd break up. Nice going guys. Nice knowing you can't stop drinking from the teat of mediocrity.

They used to mean something.

Posted by Sebastian6 | June 20, 2008 11:51 PM

By "whaling" I meant "wailing" but I was working on 3 hours sleep, post-gig exhaustion, and that ever nagging maritime theme from that Modest Mouse video. But hey if it meant a few anonymous swipes from the infamous Brooklyn Vegan commenters, it was worth it.

Posted by Elwood D. Pennypacker | June 21, 2008 6:43 AM

no one has ever expressed that idea before, sebastian. you're so smart.

if you really love a band, you can find some merit in everything they do.

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2008 11:24 AM

Sebastian6,their best album was released after Out of Time.Ofcourse I'm talking about Automatic for the People.

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2008 2:15 PM

Great show. The National have been amazing for the past 6 years. I didn't think the Modest Mouse show was that bad.
I was hoping for more Green- their BEST album- since they were devoted to the past tonight. Maybe some "World Leader pretend" or "I Remember California." "Begin the Begin" and "Don't Go Back to Rockville rocked! I can't stand "Losing My Religion anymore'-and it's true that's the song where EVERYONE Stood up. It was frikin annoying.
They never play a lot from Hi Fi. I love that album. "Leave" and "Be Mine" are 2 of my REM favs. In Any case, it was a solid show.

Posted by swh | June 21, 2008 4:44 PM

^^^The National were amazing.They played like they were the headliners not the opening band.

Feel like sharing a few mp3's of their great performance on thursday night with someone:

Start a War

Fake Empire

Mr November

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2008 11:14 PM

they debuted the video for their next single "Man-Sized Wreath" at MSG.

Pitty know one uploaded it on any of the video sites.Would like to see it.

Posted by Anonymous | June 23, 2008 7:44 PM

johnny marr is the reason why modest mouse's newer shit sucks ... theyll never be like the moon and antarctica, this long drive, and building something out of nothing ... no offense to johnny at all hes a great guitarist its just ever since he started playing with modest mouse they kinda went south .. the national was pretty sick especially since i havent listened to them before the show. Not real into R.E.M. but they definitely put on a good show

Posted by Anonymous | June 23, 2008 8:45 PM

famous people cont.

I met Damien Duff in the toilets. Football player, or what is it you call it soccer....

Posted by Chris(Scotland) | June 24, 2008 10:46 AM

hey chris(Scotland), Andy Gray is doing commentary on Euro 2008 over here for usa people. very fucking funny guy.

Posted by Anonymous | June 24, 2008 10:53 AM

yeah he knows his stuff. Missed a few football games cause i was doing all the touristy stuff in NY. I was pleasantly surprised though to see a bit more of an interest in the euros.

Posted by Chris(Scotland) | June 24, 2008 11:21 AM

today's page six has a piece about Helena Christensen and her new boyfriend-Paul Banks of Interpol- at the REM after party thursday night.

Congratulations to Paul on the major get.

Posted by Anonymous | June 24, 2008 3:45 PM

Flew in from cincy to the MSG show 6/19..Of the 8 REM shows I've seen, dating back to Sept. 1989, definitely the best...So much old material it felt like my first show back in UD Arena in '89..Worth every penny..

Posted by BenDog | June 24, 2008 4:42 PM

Goddamn amazing concert. A million classics and modern classics seamlessly intertwined. All are available on youtube!

Posted by Darik | June 24, 2008 7:30 PM

Not all.

"Let Me In" is just a clip,but still gives me goosebumps

felt like Cobain was looking down when they played that one.More emotional version then even when the song was fresh in the 90's.

Posted by Anonymous | June 24, 2008 8:06 PM

I am SICK I did not get tickets to this show. I was not anticipating loving "Accelerate" as much as I now do, and from all the posts both the old and new REM rocked. I am glad there are still die hard fans out there. It would have been great to see the crowd's energy.

I first saw them live in a small auditorium in '86 promoting "Pageant" --one of the best live shows I've ever seen.

Anyone know if they will put this tour on DVD?

Posted by RetroDO | June 25, 2008 5:19 PM