Posted in music | tour dates on June 17, 2008

Alan Sparhawk and child

I've mentioned these shows here and there, but never posted the tour dates. Alan Sparhawk of Low's other band Retribution Gospel Choir is on tour and now in NYC. Tonight's (June 17) show at Union Hall is with Ida. Tomorrow is at Mercury Lounge with Thalia Zadek. All dates and ticket info below....

Hello friends.

I've played over a thousand shows from CBGBs to the Royal Albert Hall, driven literally a half million miles, recorded multiple internationally distributed and critically acclaimed releases with my beautiful wife Mimi Parker and our band called Low. Now, I want to introduce to my next project: Retribution Gospel Choir. We started three or four years ago and have already toured around the US a bit and released a couple tour EPs. We're a good band and great things happen when we play live. Mark Kozelek (Sun Kil Moon, Red House Painters, etc.) convinced us to let him produce us, and it worked. It's a heavy and singable record with lots of guitar. We did it in San Francisco at Hyde Street Studio, where we met Billy Joel and the Dead Kennedys. People got hurt.

I think this is a great record and I think we're going to surprise a lot of people.

Peace,

Alan Sparhawk

Retribution Gospel Choir - 2008 Tour Dates
Jun 17 - Union Hall Brooklyn, New York (tix) w/ Ida
Jun 18 - Mercury Lounge New York, New York (tix) w/ Thalia Zedek
Jun 19 - Middle East Upstairs Cambridge, Massachusetts
Jun 20 - Casa del Popolo Montreal, Quebec
Jun 21 - Rivoli Toronto, Ontario
Jun 22 - Eagle Theater Pontiac, Michigan
Jul 6 - Casbah San Diego, California
Jul 7 - Troubadour Los Angeles, California
Jul 8 - Bottom of the Hill San Francisco, California
Jul 10 - Doug Fir Lounge Portland, Oregon

can i get a clone of Hollis for a daughter with the next record you do?

she's abosolutely adorable.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2008 11:25 AM

Try as I might, I just can't get into this stuff. I miss Low so much.

Posted by Beth | June 17, 2008 1:02 PM

thaila zedek is awesome. ida is boring.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2008 1:19 PM

I kinda love RTC. It's like if Low rocked. Did anyone see them open for Wilco on this last tour?

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2008 1:22 PM

hate to say it, but at just over 30 minutes, the 12 songs on the RGC record felt like they were twice as long. i really wanted to like it, but ended up just selling it back.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2008 2:08 PM

how long before he cancels dates and goes crazy again?

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2008 4:10 PM

i could listen to alan sparhawk play the guitar all day. the record has its moments, the first five tracks are pretty great. i can understand the sell it back thing, i haven't put int on since i played it five times in the first week, but i'll keep it and pay to see them. low is playing atp, that should be good fun.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2008 4:20 PM

Okay. First Off Ida rocks hard in the quietest way. They were awesome tonight. And did a great Minutemen cover for all the haters.

Second, never heard RGC before (Low many times) but they were pretty rocking. One part Band of Gypsies, One Part Big Star, One part Crazy Horse, One Part Helmet and One Part Low.

I wasn't expecting it but I'm super glad I heard it.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 12:09 AM

Ida were sweet and played a minutemen cover AND a bad brains cover. R G C made my ears bleed and played a beatles cover

Posted by Pepper Mint | June 19, 2008 9:59 AM