Posted in music | pictures on June 11, 2008

photos by Eric M. Townsend

Robert Plant and Alison Krauss

The extroverted Plant and introverted Krauss met halfway on the album, and they did so onstage at the Borgata Sunday night, entering with big smiles from opposite sides as the band kicked into "Rich Woman," the New Orleans hit from the mid-1950s.

What followed was a two-hour, country music-style revue, with the two singing in unison sometimes, but with Plant taking the lead for a few songs, then Krauss, then both stepping aside for Burnett to sing a few. [Philadelphia Inquirer]

These pictures are from the Tuesday night show at the WaMu Theater at Madison Square Garden. The same show happens in the same venue again tonight (June 11, 2008). More tour dates HERE. More MSG pics below....

Robert Plant and Alison Krauss

Almost immediately, Plant showed that this collaboration could be more than a one-time thing.
Plant took over the lead vocals for a song written by the late Ray Charles, titled "Leave My Woman Alone," which is not on "Raising Sand." Krauss played the fiddle for the first time during the night, and Duncan switched from guitar to mandolin. Later in the night, Plant said the collaboration is a "miracle of modern science" with "wings that are getting drier and bigger by the day." [press of Atlantic City]
Robert Plant and Alison Krauss
Plant and Krauss were accompanied by a roots supergroup that included their producer T Bone Burnett (whose dark magic is at the heart of this remarkable collaboration), guitarist Buddy Miller, drummer Jay Bellerose, bassist Dennis Crouch, and multi-instrumentalist Stuart Duncan. [The Boston Globe]
Robert Plant and Alison Krauss

Robert Plant and Alison Krauss

Robert Plant and Alison Krauss

The only question remaining after the show was: If this is in fact a real band, will it continue to be a band of interpreters, or will it produce a record of originals? Either result will likely be satisfying. [The Roanoke Times]
Robert Plant & Alison Krauss setlist from...
Roanoke Civic Center VA 6/2/08
Bon Temps Roule
Trampled Rose
Green Pastures
Down to the River
Killing the Blues
Nothing>
Who Do You Love (Bo Diddley tribute)
Battle of Evermore
Please Read the Letter
Gone Gone Gone
---------------------------------
Don't Knock
One Woman Man
When the Levee Breaks
Your Long Journey

Great show last night. On the setlist above, love the title of the third song. How about Black Dog, not Black's Dog? Great arrangement of the Zep Classic.

The setlist above from Roanoke is almost identical to last night, except during In the Mood, Alison Krauss sang 2 verses of Matty Groves, and there was no Levee Breaks.

Posted by Loyd Ramberhose | June 11, 2008 9:16 AM

She is quite simply, an angel.

Posted by Anonymous | June 11, 2008 9:19 AM

Fantastic Album / Band / Show. The tits.

Posted by Anonymous | June 11, 2008 11:09 AM

What time did Plant/Krauss come on (anyone)? Or is there an opener? The show is at 8 I think I read.

Posted by Anonymous | June 11, 2008 11:43 AM

Anyone score tix outside the venue last night? Wonder what they'll be going for tonight, craigslist is flooded with posts

Posted by Anonymous | June 11, 2008 11:50 AM

opening act, sharon little, was on at 8. they went on right at 9 and played until 11.

Posted by Anonymous | June 11, 2008 12:15 PM

really a great record these two put together.
great that the live show holds up.

Posted by Anonymous | June 11, 2008 1:55 PM

i was able to get a (far back/side) pair for $19 each from letsgettickets.com. they list code "sale" for 5% off the ticket price.
(this isnt me trying to spam for some random site, it worked.)

Posted by arakias | June 11, 2008 3:20 PM

show was melloooooowwww but had some great highlights like a kick ass Battle for evermore and a slow as shit black dog

Posted by Anonymous | June 11, 2008 3:27 PM

Does T-Bone Burnett always dress like an extra from Gone with the Wind?

Posted by Anonymous | June 11, 2008 3:30 PM

^^
Indeed he does.

Posted by Anonymous | June 11, 2008 4:20 PM

T Bone Burnett is a badass.

Posted by Anonymous | June 11, 2008 10:05 PM

T-Bone's hair is ace.

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2008 12:10 AM

i like the lady with the blonde perm.

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2008 2:12 AM

tonight's show was better than the first night's.

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2008 2:30 AM

Ok, I just saw the show at Merriweather in Columbia, MD last night. Am I the only one that was terribly disappointed??? I thought Allison Kraus sang the majority of songs and the whole show was way too slow and mellllowww. I was ready to rock and instead felt like I was at a Christian / Country concert. Very disappointed.

Posted by tbird | June 14, 2008 2:19 PM

tbird, did you even hear their album beforehand? no reason to be disappointed if so...

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2008 3:38 PM

>Am I the only one that was terribly disappointed???

Probably, yes - I was there and was stunned by how well it worked; and why were you so ready to rock?
Did you do any type of research whatsoever into what it was you were attending?

Posted by Glenn | June 14, 2008 10:53 PM

There has been waaaaaaaayyyy tooooo much paid media propaganda build up for this very artifical ,however(talented pros)Krap. Alison krauss is the most boring performer I`ve ever paid to watch.Did she get all those grammies for the special way she holds her fiddle ? If Plant makes another Lp with this extremely uninteresting female it will be clear he is senile. Too sad. Hope this is the END of a bad charade.

Posted by TELL- U- NO-LIES | June 15, 2008 1:31 AM

Posted by TELL- U- NO-LIES | June 15, 2008 1:34 AM

Went to the show at the Fox Theatre in Detroit. Saw a lot of LedZeppelin T's and wondered if those folks were expecting more rock and if they would be disappointed. I am a fan of both performers and frankly was amazed at how well they harmonize together. As for those who thought it was too Bluegrass/Gospel-if you'd read or seen any of the interviews with Robert Plant and Alison Krauss you would have been better prepared. The show was fantastic. I wasn't disappointed in the least. Robert Plant at 60 is still great and Alison Krauss has a voice that is clear and pretty as crystal.

Posted by GMan | June 19, 2008 3:24 PM

tellunolies and third, if you are bored by this kind of music, maybe you should stick to American Idol. I went to the show in Dallas Monday night and it was the probably the best concert I have ever been to, and I've been to plenty........including Led Zeppelin back in 1976. As far as Alison(you could at least spell her name right) being boring, again you obviously don't have much of an appreciation for what an angelic beautiful voice she has. She has a quiet but commanding stage presence. It's about the music....not posturing.

Posted by Craig Roy | July 9, 2008 8:09 PM

I could not take it I guess Robert doing country does not work for me. I tried to get excited during the Zep tunes but the alternate versions took all life out of them. The best was Battle of Evermore he did not ruin it by changing it around too much. Robert wake up Page/Jones & Jason Bonham are ready to rock the world with you. Why do you always have to be the one to ruin the reunion! It is really too bad that your loyalty to Led Zeppelin is not as passionate as the fans loyalty. "OOhhh it makes me wonder" how that could be and how you can change so much....it is really a shame......screw all you Allison country woosies!! Led Zepplein meets Dolly Parton God please kill me now!!! Funny the WHO kept going without their drummer and now even the bass player...but the best band in the world can't get Robert to wake up! I love Robert but hated this show....

Posted by God | September 10, 2008 8:41 PM

Islam is a religion of peace

Posted by منتديات | February 23, 2011 12:59 PM