Posted in music | pictures on June 18, 2008

photos by Ryan Muir

Sigur Ros
TUESDAY, JUNE 17, 2008
7:00-11:00 P.m.
MoMA

PopRally invites you to a special performance by the celebrated Icelandic band Sigur Rós, in conjunction with the exhibition Take your time: Olafur Eliasson.

Featuring thirty-eight works installed at both MoMA and P.S.1, Take your time explores the highly experimental work of Olafur Eliasson, whose immersive environments and large-scale installations elegantly recreate the extremes of landscape and atmosphere in his native Iceland. Eliasson's work recontextualizes elements such as light, water, ice, fog, stone, and moss to create unique situations that shift viewers' perceptions of place and self.

Sigur Rós creates ethereal, transcendent music that often induces a feeling of wonderment--a stirring accompaniment to Eliasson's explorations of space, color, and illumination.

This event includes an exclusive viewing of Take your time, which closes to the public on June 30.

I think Sigur Ros surprised everyone yesterday (Icelandic National Day) by playing for almost two hours. Less surprising was that a museum lobby is not the ideal setting for a concert. It wasn't bad. There were just a lot more people talking and drinking and walking around than at the completely silent, seated show at Grand Ballroom the night before. MoMA also doesn't have a stage. More pictures, and the setlist from the museum show, below....

Moma

Olsen Olsen
Hafsol
Gobbledigook
------
(Iceland national anthem?)
Popplagid

can someone confirm this setlist?

This show took place at the Museum of Modern Art Tuesday June 17, 2008. They played Grand Ballroom in NYC one night earlier. Right before that they played Bonnaroo

first lol

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 10:08 AM

let's get this out of the way

sight lines sucked

sight lines were fine unless you were a loser who got there late

sound was awful

sound was amazing considering the space

free booze was the best part of the show

people there for free booze ruined it

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 10:09 AM

wow, great pictures. it was a truly memorable evening.

Posted by pT | June 18, 2008 10:10 AM

the only thing i learned last night was that i need to attend less poprally gigs and get around to seeing a real sigur ros show.

last night was not "truly memorable"

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 10:11 AM

I had a lot of fun and thought the band sounded great. The art exhibit was interesting as well. I particularly liked the oscillating fan on the 2nd floor.

Posted by Dan | June 18, 2008 10:11 AM

looks like a magical night. great pics. any video?

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 10:12 AM

10:09 is much too cynical, it was an amazing show, although he is correct that the sight lines were difficult if you did not arrive early. It surpassed my expectations and made for a memorable night. The band sounded great and did not just go through the motions as most expected, but rather played a motivated set list of their most well-known material.

Posted by Blah | June 18, 2008 10:14 AM

one of the most surreal experiences of my life. the art, the music, the free drinks and gorgeous poster....couldn't have asked for a more complete night.

Posted by Marissa | June 18, 2008 10:16 AM

I'd like to be the first to say that that was a the longest 30 minute half set, snippet, scaled down museum show I could have imagined.

Moving on... it was a fun night. I could think of many worse ways to spend $20. I thought poprally put on a nice event from the exhibit coupled with the music to the drinks to the complimentary posters.

Cheers!

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 10:17 AM

i am selling posters for $2,250 each, email me for details.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 10:18 AM

this was awesome. all you people that said theyd only play for a half hour, were dead wrong. great show (even though the acoustics were awful) and i drunk for free!

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 10:19 AM

who wants to stand at a sigur ros show?

and for those that impressed about free drinks really need to start befriending the pr types, cause these things happen every day in new york.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 10:22 AM

anon 10:12am

lots of people were filming it, the band, the museum. hopefully some of it surfaces soon.

Posted by jason | June 18, 2008 10:22 AM

10:22 couldn't get tickets.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 10:22 AM

they played all right after Popplagid???

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 10:23 AM

"i am selling posters for $2,250 each, email me for details."

Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 10:24 AM

"And now, let all of the snarky, obnoxious, misogynist and immature comments begin...."

Fuck you! I don't need anyone to signal me to do that, you cunt.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 10:26 AM

how does one get to be a new york city indie concert photoblogger? do you basically just need to invest in a good slr and make a website or start uploading concert pictures to flickr? what even becomes of these photos? are they sold to magazines? sold back to bands? just uploaded for personal documentation?

it seems the same few dudes are out there with photo passes at every show and i'm starting to get the impression that they're using their cameras for nothing more than freeloading their way into concerts.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 10:28 AM

^^well, first off, nobody is using an slr. those are all digital.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 10:31 AM

Music was great, crowd was horrible, horrible, horrible. There were four frat boys to my rear right who were constantly talking, even during the quieter songs. There was a really embarassing moment when Sigur Ros paused and went dead silent as part of the song -- and the crowd just didn't care and kept on talking. A lot of people tried to 'sshhh' them out, but to no avail.

10:09 -- "people there for free booze ruined it"

Yeah, exactly. fuckers. If you came to watch Sigur Ros, then listen to the goddamn music, you fuckin idiots.

Posted by suedehead | June 18, 2008 10:31 AM

10:22. is. an. asshair. I wasn't there, but I'm not trying to piss on other peoples' parades jsut because I missed it.

I was at Grand Ballroom. Glad to hear that last night was great as well.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 10:31 AM

"^^well, first off, nobody is using an slr. those are all digital."

they're slrs, just digital slrs

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 10:35 AM

what was the scene of people trying to get tickets outside? was there a lot of people looking for extras? also, were there a lot of these craiglist scalpers there meeting people or was that overblown?

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 10:35 AM

Way off topic, but if anyone cares Ticketmaster has some great REM tickets back on sale for the Garden tomorrow night.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 10:36 AM

it seemed to me like scalpers were only successful if they had EXTRA tickets. the person who ordered the tix online had to be there for anyone on the reservation to get in.

so i'm wondering many people got dicked over. looking at completed ebay listings, people were paying as much as 200 per person to get into this. haha!

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 10:38 AM

lots of people asking for extras. also you were allowed to 'transfer' extra tickets through the moma to other people

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 10:38 AM

10:28

Don't be stupid. It's hard work to attend and document as many shows as Ryan/Bao/Lela/Abbey/suckapants do. Not to mention they take the time to get great shots w/ out flash. Steady hands and all. Probably only one in 8 shots might be presentable. That's a lot of attention paid to taking photos as opposed to purely enjoying a set.

Once you start attending 5 shows a week, lugging a camera around, and taking the time to actually resize, adjust, and upload them somewhere (that's time consuming), then maybe somebody will send you to shows to take pics too.

Ass

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 10:38 AM

great show, not short, crowd wasn't at their best but still way better than most indie shows, great exhibit which we checked out before the show so gave up the good viewing spot, free grolsch beers is always a nice touch, sound was good considering the venue is a Museum

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 10:39 AM

it's also that at many shows now, especially at venues that lack photo pits, photographers are forcing their way right in front of ticket paying patrons, shoving cameras in their faces, oftentimes with flash, and simply looking to cause trouble. it's rude. if you're fortunate enough to get a photo pass, at least respect the people that paid their way into the (oftentimes sold out) gig.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 10:41 AM

10:41, without those assholes we wouldn't have BV threads to troll in.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 10:43 AM

yeah photographers they have a real passion for what they are doing I think. Im sure this is not the best way to make money if youre a photographer.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 10:46 AM

Amazing night!

1 questions for those of you who seem to stand next to people who talk, why don't you tell them to shut up? I tend to do it and you get a really creepy stare back at you and then 9 times out 10 they either A) move or B) talk louder which at that point I move to a better spot.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 10:46 AM

10:38 -- it's hard work? give me a break. their little freelance "jobs" (using the term liberally) involve taking photos at rock shows with their pricey digital cameras.

it's a hobby and unless they're on assignment with a major publication, they should have to buy tickets just like the rest of us. i don't request review tickets when i blog about a show. they shouldn't be entitled to photo passes for their personal portfolio.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 10:47 AM

I like 10:09 AM's comments. I think s/he is just summing up what was expected to appear below from both points of view.

There is too much negativity here - bands put a lot of energy into performing and when it is good, like last night, we should be more receptive.

I went to an Arcade Fire show in Paris last summer, and the attitude of the crowd (from all over Europe) was so much more appreciate... People hummed part of a song together in the dark after the show for a few minutes.

Reposting from other thread: I wonder if people would be happier if BV offered "Missed Connections" for concerts? Like "I saw you at MOMA in the cable knit sweater. Our eyes met as we told the kids next to us to be quiet." Would give people something else to do rather than post angry stuff here...

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 10:48 AM

only thing that bothers me sometimes is a photog will take 100s of photos and then put up only 1 or 2. the photogs that are on assignement from Rolling Stone or NY Times are the worst in this way, in that they are the most pushy, and they publish the least material, usually only that 1 photo that gets in the newspaper. I dont know how those guys must have connections to get in those papers.

Thats why I like much better people like Jospe and Bao, alto Jospe is pretty pushy as well and didnt see particularly nice or there for the music the one time I met her, more to make the scene (met her at Crystal Castles). People that shoot for prefix mag I find have a real passion for music, that girl I forgot her name, but she is always totally into the music.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 10:54 AM

First time getting roaring drunk while listening to Sigur Ros...

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 10:58 AM

I definitely don't think they played All Alright after Popplagid. I'm as close to positive as humanly possible, although there is always human error.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 10:58 AM

they did NOT play all alright. the show was over after popplagid.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 10:59 AM

Maybe you should start requesting review tickets when you blog about a show. That is supposing enough people read it to make it worthwhile to send you there for free. Which I'm guessing isn't the case.

I'm sure Sigur Ros was happy to have ryan there, knowing it was more than likely his shots would get them exposure on Brooklyn Vegan. Photogs like him have that kind of cred because they've worked hard to get it. You can't just request tickets to the show if you're any old schmoe with a nice camera and a flikr account. You have to have a history of getting your shit picked up by credible outlets.

Also, I don't consider it a hobby. The above mentioned all have their work published 2-3 times a week. And I'm sure they often get paid something for it to. Probably not as often as they should, but often enough to make it more than a hobby.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 10:59 AM

any idea who did the posters?

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 11:02 AM

that poster looks like the work of a genius.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 11:07 AM

The Fan (the object, not the person) is "art" or just a fan?

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 11:08 AM

the fan was swinging on a 50 foot rope, blowing itself all over the place.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 11:12 AM

Awesome pics, sad i missed it :(

I haven't picked up the new album yet, but their single sounds great, a whole new direction.

Posted by Aaron | June 18, 2008 11:15 AM

So I was there but never looked at my watch - anyone actually time their set?

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 11:19 AM

alex somers did the poster

any jackball that wants to try and profit on those go ahead but man

shame on you

for all the whiners out there

the show was amazing the tix were 18 dollars compared to the night before which was over 50.

i was a bit worried with all the headaches that orri has been having but it was fantastic. just a great show

suck on that coldplay

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 11:25 AM

love all the know-it-alls who said they were playing 4 songs. love how so many people who didn't deserve to go got tickets when i didn't. love how there are so many obnoxious people commenting on this site. but ill see them in sepetember and they will be amazing just like they are every single time.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 11:27 AM

Was about 1 hr., 52 mins.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 11:28 AM

set was 2 hours and 8 minutes

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 11:28 AM

Funny how people who were really at both shows and not lying about it are pretty much in the same category(BV included)

Let's sum it up

Grand Ballroom was the better show by far. Better atmosphere, Better "concert", Better sound, Longer Show. Will be talked about for a long time as one of the most special shows ever done in this city.

Moma you got free drinks and a poster.

Nuff Said

End of Discussion. Move On.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 11:28 AM

The real question is, how great was GLERF SLERFFEN's opening set? sofa king amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 11:30 AM

any ahole with a camera can take pictures.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 11:31 AM

I Love Haters!

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 11:36 AM

the set was 3 hours and 24 minutes. amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 11:39 AM

those are some fantastic pic. kudos ryan.

Posted by sc | June 18, 2008 11:40 AM

were they selling coke in the bathrooms to keep all of the arty hipsters from falling asleep?

Posted by jimmy the greek | June 18, 2008 11:41 AM

AHAHAHAHA Good morning everyone. You guys are so predictable but yes i love haters and jealousy as well so in the spirit of that i must paste my post from last night on the earlier thread. It just brings out the hate.

"I was just on the phone with a friend who, like me, was at both shows. I said i know when i come to Brooklyn Vegan there will be fuckheads who are claiming tonites show was unreal and incredible. Sure enough there is. I am here to tell you they are WRONG. And i was right up front. The show was good but nowhere near last night's amazingness. I can tell you that these people saying this were not at last night's show or are just total lemmings.

Firstly how you call call this intimate is silly. Mercury Lounge is an intimate show dummies. The sound tonite in that room was not as good as last night. Not as long either. I clocked it at 1 hour and 35 minutes by my watch.

The best part of it though was how i got in to the show. I like many got the email without the credit card acknowledgement. But thanks to some stupid BV'ers who printed what the correct email looked like. I used a little photoshop copy and paste and took that with my confirmation number to the event. When i got there i gave the confirmation number and id. They said i was not on the list. I did a little yelling, showed the email that i made up and without much more they said "oh our computer must have made a mistake" and said ok to my 2 tickets. I then said i had to wait for my friend to get there and went outside and sold my +1 to someone for 150 and brought them in. So thank you to those stupid BV'ers and thank you to the poprally morons.

Breaking it all down as someone who ACTUALLY went to both shows, if you went to Grand Ballroom you got the better show and one for the ages. If you went to Moma you got a good show, a poster and free drinks but a show that wont be remembered as the previous nights will be."

It is so obvious that the people crowing about last night's show did not make it to the other one. Anyone who went to both and does not admit that last night was a let down is just blind, deaf and dumb.

Viva La Hate

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 11:43 AM

C'mon BV - did we really need another post about Sigur Ros for people to post their love and hate for the band and disdain for each other on?
Lets see another 100 comments.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 11:44 AM

For $20 I got 6 Grolsch, a two hour Sigur Ros performance, an exhibition viewing, and a poster. And I was home by 11pm. I'm no economist but, despite the chatty yuppies, that is quite a bargain.

Posted by Klaus_Kinski | June 18, 2008 11:45 AM

Move on?

We need to get up to 100 comments atleast.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 11:46 AM

i was a little bummed they only played 3 tracks off the new record

but oh well it was still great

i was at both nites

i liked moma more

the experience was great the art etc

way to go sigur ros

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 11:51 AM

Hey Klaus,

To quote a famous song,
while Monday's show was more money, no free beer and no poster and actually a 2 hour show(unlike you and others claiming last night was which it was not)

"I'd call that a bargain
The best I ever had"

Stick to the jokes Klaus.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 11:54 AM

My Video contribution to BV illustrating the Line Of Sight previously mentioned here.

Both nights were fantastic in their own right. i disliked the chatter going on, but once i dug into the crowd a little bit, it was less prevailant. The fan is art by that dude.

PopRally really gifted NYC with this event. the poster (ebay item #4563234), the beers (those icelandic vodka drinks were kinda rough), the art which was much better shared with fans of sigur ros than tourist douchebags that filled the rooms last time, and of course the band.

Posted by LINE OF SIGHT | June 18, 2008 11:58 AM

It was all perfect! Only complaint was the raging B.O. of this Icelandic dude in front of me. But the music helped take my mind away from it ...

Posted by Heather | June 18, 2008 12:01 PM

You went to MoMA expecting "the best show"??

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 12:02 PM

LINE OF SIGHT,

I am confused. How was that video supposed to support a claim that last night's show was "fantastic"???

From the video it looks like the last place I would like to be last night. You can't see shit and you can hear the people chatting around you.

Ummm that is not the experience that was had the night before.

How do you call that a gift to NYC?

The true gift to NYC was the night before because it is doubtful you will see a show that beautiful again.
Poprally can suck a dick.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 12:03 PM

1143, if thats true then youre a fucking loser and we all hate you.

i sold my 3 extras for face value to grand ballroom.

Posted by 11:43 - Youre a fuckin asshole | June 18, 2008 12:04 PM

A photo of Bao's was published in the New York Times a few months ago, so it's not just people "scamming their way into shows for free." And yeah, these photos do get picked up by major publications.

Isn't it fairly obvious that major blogs are becoming a significant source of news for many people?

Posted by Wiz | June 18, 2008 12:04 PM

""Yup a bargain but some of us go to shows for something other than a bargain. We go for the best experience. The best show."

You went to MoMA expecting "the best show"??

I went expecting 5 Sigur Ros songs and a good night out. I got a 2 hour performance."

Well if you got a 2 hour performance then you were at some other show because this one was not 2 hours at all. Please stop with that nonsense.

But no i did not go to MoMA expecting "the best show" especially after what i witnessed the night before. I never said that. The discussion is on both shows and the point was "a bargain" is not the barometer in which to judge a show. I went expecting free drinks and a decent show in a less than perfect setting. And that is what people got.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 12:15 PM

11:43 is a textbook representation of every hipster dipshit that was at this show last night

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 12:17 PM

Ugh I can't believe the bitterness and complaining! You guys are such little bitches. Learn how to enjoy things. The show and whole experience was great.

Posted by Heather | June 18, 2008 12:19 PM

"one of the most special shows ever done in this city"

11:28- you are truly a retarded ass-clown. even if it was true, only a self-important, delusional, jerk-off would ever utter those truly stupid words.

I hate the fact that people like you exist.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 12:19 PM

I had such an amazing time..it was so sureal. The Olaf Elliason exhibit was beatiful, albiet extremely blinding to the eyes with all of the insane bright light action. The 2nd floor fan action was hillarious. It was so amusing watching everyone instinctively duck as the fan whizzed by overhead. The show was gorgeous, the sound at the end sucked, and there were definitely some annoying douchebags drunkenly head banging in front of me..yeah. But all in all, very moving, as you would expect. Was that Amina on stage with them??? Sorry if this was already mentioned above...

Posted by amazing~ | June 18, 2008 12:21 PM

""one of the most special shows ever done in this city"

I hate the fact that people like you exist."

Thank you. I am 11:28 and exactly what was so self important and delusional about it? Look at the comments from that night on here. Basically completely across the board agreement on that point from many many people. Unlike the comments about last night's show which are split between

those who went to both shows and know the difference btw extraordinary and just good

and

those who just went to last night's and are trying to make themselves feel better for missing the previous night.

Also thanks for the kind words. I am glad you hate that i exist because pissing morons like you off is a reward all in itself.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 12:32 PM

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 12:38 PM

new songs... ? are people feeling the new songs as much as the old ones?

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 12:40 PM

Went to both shows. I preferred the Grand Ballroom because it was obviously a more appropriate venue for a concert. The free alcohol at MoMA was limited to Grolsch and this crappy vodka/ginger mix, so that wasn't a factor. It was still a cool place to see a show though and they obvioulsy played a lot longer than expected (It was just short of 2 hours). I guess the only disappointing thing was them only playing 3 new ones (and no festival!) and the overall set almost being exact to the night before

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 12:43 PM

Did the BO guy have a beard?

Because i was standing next to a guy with a beard that was killing me with the BO...

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 12:48 PM

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 12:52 PM

Fuck art, let's invest.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 12:57 PM

it's nice to hear that sigur ros decided to give everyone a surprise and play a full set. and if the crowd WAS awful, at least it was only $20. there was no excuse for the awful crowd at radio city a few years back. when they come back in september everyone should bring rotten fruit to throw at the chatters.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 12:58 PM

in response to the above - yes the swinging fan is part of eliasson's exhibit. it's called The Ventilator and i love it.

Posted by melissa | June 18, 2008 12:59 PM

"I think it is special that you find the general consensus on Brooklyn Vegan enough to declare "one of the most special show ever done in the this city." Hmmm...lemme think...I'll start with James Brown at the Apollo as just the beginning of the discussion. I'm a huge Sigur Ros fan, but COME ON. What is wrong with you?"

The point you are making is ridiculous. What is the problem with taking the general consensus of people who went to a show as part of your assessment of it? I do think the Grand Ballroom show was "one of the most special shows ever done in this city" and many many people agree with me. Did i say it was the best ever? No. Is it on the level of James Brown at the Apollo? In my eyes no but then this show has not been afforded the gift of time and a landmark recording of it.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 1:00 PM

"Why are people arguing about how long they played? From first note to final note, it was an hour and 45 minutes."

Eh I got 1 hour and 35 minutes but whatever. Still not 2 hours and the full set they are playing on the tour. If you want to be exact and truthful and nitpicky about it.

Yowsa.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 1:06 PM

snarky, obnoxious, misogynist and immature comment

Posted by JWeir | June 18, 2008 1:07 PM

BV just needs to close the comments on all Sigur Ros threads at this point.

Posted by CN | June 18, 2008 1:12 PM

if you weren't there, it does probably seem strange how exalted people were by these shows. If you were there it doesn't, even if you weren't exalted yourself. I wouldn't waste time trying to "get" what people liked about these shows.

The horn section was the only drawback for me. Otherwise Grand Ballroom was so great I'm still hearing it in my head.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 1:23 PM

JESUS

I was not at Monday's show. I was there last night. Ok, so I don't think there is any dispute from anybody that Monday's show was the better show. Last night was good but nothing out of the ordinary. But give it a rest at this point. Congrats to those who went to the better show and congrats to those who went to both.

Bottom Line

My cock is much bigger than all of yours so fuck you.

Oh and to the fucking poor slobs who overpaid on Craigslist and outside the venue last night. All you had to do was go up to the ticket entrance and ask if they had extras. A kid in front of me did it and they sold him a ticket and he walked right in.

Posted by A Manhattan Not Brooklyn Asshole | June 18, 2008 1:27 PM

WIth all these comments has Sigur ROs officially become the Daft Punk of 2008?

Posted by Dan Deacon | June 18, 2008 1:37 PM

To all the photog haters-- have some respect.

They dont come to your place of business and knock the cocks out your mouth.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 1:43 PM

to dan deacon:
"WIth all these comments has Sigur Ros officially become the Daft Punk of 2008?"

I think theres still time for Daft Punk to become the Daft Punk of 2008.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 1:44 PM

Matchbox 20 is the new Daft Punk

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 1:49 PM

To the guy on 21st and 6th who sold me those mushrooms, you made this memorable.

To the people hating on my BO, feel free to hate on me.

Posted by BO GUY | June 18, 2008 1:55 PM

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 2:02 PM

Gobbledigook was the high point of this show, because it was the only song with any sort of audience participation and energy

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 2:04 PM

fuck audience participation

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 2:05 PM

To the guy who I sold mushrooms to last night, they were duds. you were smelly and sober last night. good job.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 2:06 PM

"any ahole with a camera can take pictures."

true. but will they be good enough for anyone to want to publish them/pay for them? no.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 2:08 PM

You know what's really funny? Half you people who constantly bash and viciously attack each other on BV comment threads literally stand next to each other night after night and show after show without even realizing it. Wouldn't it be hilarious if we all had to wear BV nametags at shows? Oh...my bad...we'd just have a roomful of people with "Anonymous" nametags on (like me).

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 2:12 PM

that video was shot from one of my many vantage points. poprally did amazing job. i was at both shows and enjoyed them both equally for their own reasons.

the funny thing about this comment board...is that all of you people are aleuf bored self righteous/loathing people in real life who would never open their mouths like this in real life and feel a need to sit at your keyboard and shit all over people just cuz its the only time in your life where you can feel so safely empowered. I'd like to think if you frequent this site, its b/c you really love music and enjoy the dedication BV has to keeping us informed, highlighting events and allowing people to discuss their experiences. sometimes i just don't understand...cuz really i think you people don't actually believe some of the garbage you spew on these boards.

anyways...i thought my video was cool. and i loved being able to see this band 2 nights this week, and i loved sharing a pretty great exhibit with people who (for the most part) are familiar with some of the unique magnificence that comes out of the iceland art scene. its events like last night that make living here in NYC so fuckin special and people need to have a little respect for the privilege of going to events like this and having sites like this (and their photographers) that document most of them.

Posted by LINE OF SIGHT | June 18, 2008 2:13 PM

LINE OF SIGHT,

fuck you you suck

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 2:15 PM

nobody has mentioned that mary kate was downstairs by the bar. on another note, you people are all fucktard idiots.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 2:17 PM

I can say without a doubt that I am very anal when it comes to this stuff. They took the stage at 8:45, and left at 10:35, clocking in at an hour and fifty minutes.

People can argue this and dispute this and shave minutes off or add minutes, but the FACT is that it was 1:50. Like I said, I'm very anal about this haha.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 2:18 PM

So there was this guy standing in front of me who was having an outer-body experience or something. From the moment the show started, he had his hands raised high in the air like a one-person wave with his eyes shut. I mean, he was either rolling, tripping or just really feeling the music.

I'm all for everyone having a good time and getting into the band, but this was just too funny. Not annoying or anything, just so amusing.

Posted by Dan | June 18, 2008 2:21 PM

I will admit, I am an idiot because I didn't notice some child star gash at a concert.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 2:32 PM

rich stupid loud crowd wearing sunglasses...a lot of smelly people too. and not in a healthy good way but in a god damn! I smell way.
music was great
and they need to mix up their set list

Posted by anonymous | June 18, 2008 2:36 PM

All you people bitching about the crowd clearly don't care enough about Sigur Ros to show up at 7, grab 6 beers from the open bar, and wait by the stage like any dedicated fan would.

There was absolutely no crowd noise upfront. Everyone was respectful up there, and it was perfect.

Act like a douche and you'll be treated like one.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 2:39 PM

they let you grab 6 beers? you have no shame!

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 2:47 PM

how do you drink 6 beers and not have to pee? that's what i want to know

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 2:50 PM

case and point:

"LINE OF SIGHT,

fuck you you suck"

fuckin douchebag

Posted by LINE OF SIGHT | June 18, 2008 2:57 PM

Yes, I grabbed 6 beers and put them in my bag, and went upfront.

Yes, I have no shame.

Yes, I witnessed a wonderful performance by Sigur Ros for $20

And to end this "how long they played" argument:

SIGUR ROS went on at EXACTLY 8:42 pm (I checked my watch), and left the stage at EXACTLY 10:36, which by my count makes it a 1:54 show.

Oh, and a nice poster to boot!

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 3:06 PM

HOW DO YOU DRINK 6 BEERS AND NOT PISS

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 3:11 PM

"sigur ros are so great they make everyone argue about which show was better. if that isn't a sign of a truly talented band, i don't know what is. isn't that the POINT?"

Sigur Ros are a great band but i dont think there is an argument about which show was better. That is an obvious answer. I think the argument was over was last night's show just a good decent show or an amazing one.

Line of Sight you are the fucking douchebag and i would gladly say that right to your face. Please let me know what show you will be at next and what you are wearing. As for your many vantage points, i call bullshit. Let's see the video. The video you showed was terrible and made people who did not go to the show glad they didnt.

Anon 3:06pm I was right up front against the rope and i can tell you that it was far from perfect. Plenty of people talking unlike the night before.

As well you and the anal guy(anon 2:18pm) probably are anal fuck buddies together because your time clocks are so off its hilarious.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 3:12 PM

and some "i have a real man's bladder" remark isn't going to cut it.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 3:12 PM

And to make the point once again cause people keep bringing up the 20 dollar aspect

Yes for 20 dollars people got a good show, free beer and a poster

And for 50 dollars people got an amazing show...the better show...a truly remarkable show.

You can't put a price on that for all the money in the world

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 3:15 PM

@2:21. I was behind that dude! He was this massive dudebro with a rugby shirt on, right? And then he took off the rugby shirt to reveal a Phish T-shirt, and then he began to look very, very sad and wandered away in the middle of the show, never to return. Bless!

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 3:16 PM

you people are idiots.
i hate each and every one of you
wasteful human beings is all you are.
disgusting chesse and shit smelling assholes

this was an awful show.
i love sigur ros
you guys are idiots
or at least you turn into idiots when in front of a computer
i hate everyone of you.
hate. hate. hate.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 3:17 PM

SLAMMIN' Pics! Visually stunning, even if the sound was not as good as more acoustically friendly spaces. No doubt a memorable evening, if not for the same reasons as the previous night.

Glad you all had fun.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 3:22 PM

Were Vivian Girls there peeing on The Black Lips memebers?

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 3:25 PM

I'm a frat boy. I don't drink. I don't have a skanky girlfriend that talks through shows. I love Sigur Ros. I'm a conservative. You all need to adjust your prejudices, you PC freaks! Go hug a tree or something. Damn!

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 3:25 PM

yeap Sigur Ros still prog :p

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 3:26 PM

fuckin slob loser piece of syphillis infected cumbubble splattered worthless shit. fuck your mother dipshit.

but yer right...first show was better. fag

Posted by anonymous 3:12 is a retard | June 18, 2008 3:32 PM

Anon 10:59 #2:
"I'm sure Sigur Ros was happy to have ryan there, knowing it was more than likely his shots would get them exposure on Brooklyn Vegan."

Really??? If I was from Iceland, or Boston for that matter, I would think Brooklyn Vegan was a restaurant, or a political party.

Let's not be too self important now.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 3:33 PM

3:17

Eat my shorts, dickwad.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 3:34 PM

On a lighter note, I don't believe anyone here has mentioned the smoking hot violinist and cellist.

Double Schwing.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 3:36 PM

Double schwing, indeed!

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 3:39 PM

$20, $50 .... Both are still cheap. At least compared to the fuck Police show with the (VH1 Where Are They Now) B52s. $500 for a ticket?!?! No wonder people download music.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 3:42 PM

In the words of Lewis Black, ".... and to think I'm not a people-person!"

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 3:44 PM

Hey, for $20 seeing any part of Sigur Ros was a bargain. The ones that went last night were lucky ones. I didn't go to that show but wished I did.
Now I've been to their Irving Plaza show back in '01. How many on here have?

Posted by The One | June 18, 2008 3:44 PM

3:42 u r a douchebag. I like the Police. Why don't you get a job, that way you can get out of your parents' basement and afford a real concert.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 3:46 PM

Anyone even looking at one of the Olson twins should run down to the free clinic and get a shot of penicillin. Skanky hos. If only Heath had used his noodle about this ...

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 3:50 PM

Did you really need to bring up Heath Ledger in a Sigur Ros post? How the fuck did we end up there?

Debbie Downer.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 3:54 PM

Hey The One u beat me. I'm new to SR. Wish I had seen them in '01. But I saw them at Manhattan Center. Now I'll see them again, and again.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 3:54 PM

which violinist is the one married to the keyboardist / flautist?

I love that word flautist.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 3:59 PM

can we end this arguement already? just the fact you got that awesome poster makes MoMA a better event in my opinion.

what did you get at manhattan center?

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 4:00 PM

"what did you get at manhattan center?"

Enlightened.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 4:01 PM

Any news on September shows yet?

Posted by Inquiring Minds | June 18, 2008 4:04 PM

Hey Anon 3:16

I don't think it's the same dude. The guy I'm talking about was wearing a brown vest.

Posted by Dan | June 18, 2008 4:08 PM

both these shows didnt compare at all to the gigs at the beacon, the first radio city or irving plaza back in the day. y'all are fuckin LATE to this shitshow. selfrighteous poseurs!!!

fuckyouverymuch.

Posted by icelandic anthropologist | June 18, 2008 4:15 PM

I love that the only "missed connections" on here are not for love but for who was on what drug, who had BO, etc.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 4:26 PM

well, i was upset at first that i didn't go to the moma show... but after reading the comments, im glad as hell i didn't. i fucking HATE people who talk at shows. shut the fuck up. you've got nothing to say that cannot wait until later.

you have no insider information about the song, the set, and the story you're about to recount to the poor dickhead that is next to you isn't interesting. I paid money to hear them. not you. if i wanted to hear your stupid mouth, i'd listen to the jukebox in a bar.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 4:29 PM

I think the violinist who's married to the keyboardist/flautist is the cute blonde one, since she made eyes over there a few times (the other violists were not hot at all, but the cellist was fucking ace).

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 4:37 PM

I told some people behind me to be quiet. That seemed to give the guy next to me license to open up on them. He said very fiercely that if they wanted to talk, they should move to the very back. They respected it for the most part.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 4:42 PM

There was an opening band at MOMA? Totally missed that...

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 4:44 PM

i met mary kate at the downstairs bar. then i went for a prune shot and got denied

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 4:51 PM

right on about the cellist! At Grand Ballroom when they left the stage she hoisted her cello above her head like she was a mighty dragon slayer brandishing the sword of Excalibur. Feroche.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 5:00 PM

Hey Idiot AKA icelandic anthropologist - the crabs that crawl around a dead pig's asshole fighting over the dingleberries get more respect than our self-righteous fucking essence. Come to think of it, you gave the dead pig the crabs so I guess your own crabs deserve more respect than you.

Fuckface

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 5:08 PM

meant to say "your self-righteous fucking essence."

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 5:09 PM

The opening band was the free poster. Or was it the free booze? Oh, yeah, another reason Manhattan Center was better.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 5:11 PM

putz

Posted by nah...you meant 'our' | June 18, 2008 5:15 PM

Bahahahahahaha are people really still trying to say MOMA might have been a better show.

Cmon I mean you can like the show last night but to say it was better if you in fact went to both is just ludicrous and silly and you look like an idiot.
I really have to think those saying that were not at either show

what did you get at manhattan center?

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 4:00 PM

What did we get? A MUCH BETTER SHOW....

but hey enjoy the poster ya fucking idiot. I put mine on the wall above the toilet.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 5:51 PM

I was upfront last night which was great. the above poster was correct. their were no talkers in my section up front.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 5:56 PM

It is a great poster. I wished that the poster image was available as a t-shirt. I woulda forked over the 30 for that.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 6:05 PM

So it is true what they say... everyone who comments on this site is fucking twat.

Last night's performance was orgasmic, just like Sigur Ros is everytime I see them. I was not the previous night at the Ballroom, but I'm sure it was amazing as well.

fighting about who had a better time is FUCKING RETARDED.

I did not experience douchebags talking through the show, but then again I was upfront, where people were more respectful and less likely to fall into the 'open bar' behavior.

The sound was INCREDIBLE where I was... i felt like I was laying on a runway and 747s were taking off and landing over me.

The endless shushing during the silent part did completely ruin the silent part... sadly... seriously, where did the talking people think they were? NYC crowds in general suffer from high levels of douchebaggery... its really annoying.

And omg i'm like totally in like 2 of these pics.. i'm so like hipster famous now

and PS i'm not posting as Anon cuz I don't give a fuck what the twats respond with... keep it up, i'm sure one day it will make you feel better about missing the show.

Posted by Jeff | June 18, 2008 6:06 PM

yeah the tshirt selection blew

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 6:07 PM

"... i felt like I was laying on a runway and 747s were taking off and landing over me."

I could stay there for a while ...

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 6:09 PM

Hey Jeff, You're not so brave for putting just your first name up with no email link. Nice try at nobility, but your still anonymous.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 6:13 PM

You guys are some funny shits! I can't imagine such entertaining posts for a Clink Black show in Nashville, although most everyone leaving that show would say they had a good time without feeling the need to qualify it as better than someone else's good time. Pretty pathetic, but pretty freakin funny too.

Posted by Hank | June 18, 2008 6:22 PM

158 posts!

You guys never let me down!

Posted by jonsi* | June 18, 2008 6:49 PM

i was at irving plaza '01. i remember people still talked during that show too, i guess some things just never change. BV certainly has though: http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2005/09/sigur_ros_beaco.html 8 comments for TWO shows at BEACON!

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 8:41 PM

Where are the best place(s) to find recordings of these shows? Nothing on etree or nabtor... Any ideas? Really looking forward to hearing that Ballroom show!

Posted by Missed It | June 18, 2008 9:12 PM

I am going to try and make some sense of why there are people on here saying one show was better than the other. I agree that a bunch of people do it to be douchebags and are fools but i think a number of others do it because there is a tendency on here to overrate every show. Not every show is amazing and special and truly unique. But after every show that is posted on here someone uses idiotic terms like "killed" it etc. And that sort of takes away from shows that really are special. Now in this case, I think the reaction came from a lot of people who were actually really and truly at both shows and knew the difference. It was not a slight difference in quality. It truly was a major difference. Case in point, look at the last couple of comments about the incessant need to shush the audience at the MOMA show. Now go to the comment section of the other show and see if anyone there said they had to do that. They didnt and you name me another show where the audience was so enraptured with a performance that you literally could hear a pin drop at times.

I cant seem to find one person who really and truly were at both shows and said MOMA was better. So i think this time it was a matter of people really feeling strongly about how good and rare the first show was and did not want people trying to devalue it in any way. Just my 2 cents

Also, glad someone mentioned to Jeff the fool that just calling yourself Jeff does not make you any better than Anonymous. And just using him as an example again with his description of the sound at MOMA. I too was at that show and was up front and the sound was not as he says it was. It was decent sound but he was not at the the other show so he really did not get to hear how good this band could sound in the right place.

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2008 12:49 AM

PRESALE TOMORROW
WOOOOO!

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2008 8:22 AM

1) Re: tomorrow, Shhhh!
2) I was at the better of the two concerts this week, jerkasses.

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2008 10:02 AM

Anyone know if we need a password for tomorrow? Last time it had me create one to log in... But I saw on the Sigur Ros messageboard that people have posted a password for the Berkeley show.

Also does anyone know the ticket prices? can't seem to find that online.

Thanks - will keep this hush hush...

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2008 10:18 AM

presale starts tmrw on www.klink.is at 9am nyc time

Posted by darren | June 19, 2008 12:05 PM

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2008 12:23 PM

haha comments mostly sound like a bunch of serious jaded fuckers.
I hate you all.
So I got a free poster, free drinks and OH! a fucking free broken bow that Jonsi tossed right at me after Hafsol.
Anybody get one of those at the bullshit seated Grand Ballroom? No. Didn't think so.

Posted by Sarah | June 20, 2008 5:16 PM

people need to stop railing on photographers. it is hard hard work, it takes tons of paitence, skill, and talent. plus, you only get pennies thrown at you. bv's photogs do great work- great work that deserves to appreciated.

Posted by Anonymous | June 23, 2008 1:01 AM

Islam is a religion of peace

Posted by منتديات | February 23, 2011 6:23 PM

Posted by كازنوفا | March 2, 2011 4:44 PM

It surpassed my expectations and made for a memorable night. I cant seem to find one person who really and truly were at both shows and said MOMA was better.

Posted by revistas virtuales | August 12, 2011 7:18 AM

islam is a Lie. mohammed was not a prophet.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 8:15 AM