Posted in music | pictures on June 13, 2008

photos by Chris La Putt

Swervedriver @ Music Hall

Swervedriver played Music Hall of Williamsburg in Brooklyn last night (June 12, 2008). It was their second of two NYC reunion shows. The first was one night earlier at Bowery Ballroom. Bill went to that first show...

...Swervedriver came out and just killed it. Like the last ten years never happened. Jaw-droppingly, why-aren't-you-still-a-band-and-making-records good. And maybe it's just the decade that's passed, but they almost seemed better than I remembered. Swervedriver's sound hasn't dated I don't think -- it's the sound of vapor trails off hot desert pavement, or after-burners on a spaceship. On songs like the slow-burn "Duress" it felt like gravity lost its grip on us just a little bit. The band was clearly into it as much as the crowd. Adam Franklin is a cool dude, looking more like Geoffrey Wright having long-since shaved off his signature dreads, and didn't say more than ten word to the crowd the whole show but he had a smile on his face every time he did....
More pictures from the Brooklyn show below...

Swervedriver @ Music Hall

Longwave @ Music Hall

Longwave @ Music Hall

Longwave @ Music Hall

Longwave @ Music Hall

Longwave @ Music Hall

Longwave @ Music Hall

Photos from Coachella HERE.

More Swervedriver tour dates HERE.

The Bowery show just killed. Better than I can remember them in the 90's... Such a high level of musicianship and style that you just don't see in most bands today. Make another album Swervedriver, I'll buy two copies.

Posted by mix T | June 13, 2008 1:18 PM

swervedriver absolutely destroyed it last night!!!
fucking incredible show.
(...and there were indeed many more ladies than at bowery the other night)
this band has always sounded great, and they haven't lost a step in the last ten years.
refreshing to see a band that delivers the goods.
here's hoping for a new record someday.

longwave however...not so much.

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2008 1:20 PM

I used to be a Longwave fan around the time of their major album release..sad to say, but I think its time for them to pack it in..

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2008 1:28 PM

Steve kills it - you need to pack it in

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2008 1:35 PM

Gosh Adam Franklin looks different these days. Seeing them in Chicago tomorrow. Can't wait.

I did a rundown of their recordings. Check it out here if you're interested:

Posted by Reed | June 13, 2008 2:04 PM

Anon 1:20 pm, what does the fact that there were more ladies at MHOW then the Bowery show have anything to do with anything you stupid fuck, OOh at the Bowery there was a chick with bigger tits upfront then any girl at MHOW. Plus Bowery has better sound so fuck you.

Notwithstanding that idiot's comment and as much as i hate the fools using words like "killed" the Bowery show really was something to be remembered. As good as the shows i saw them play back in their heyday. Makes you realize the difference in all the crap shows people say are so amazing on here. This really was.

Posted by A Manhattan Not Brooklyn Asshole | June 13, 2008 2:09 PM

I was at MHOW last night and I'm not Anon 1:20 (nor am I sexist in any way), but I for one rather enjoy when an audience has a little diversity and is not just one big sausage factory filled with indie music geeks like myself. Swervedriver makes sexy music and it's nice when it's enjoyed by BOTH sexes.

Also, why they certainly didn't "kill it" (Damn I hate that phrase too), i think you folks are being a little hard on Longwave. Their first few songs were pretty cool, especially after that shitty first band!

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2008 2:30 PM

i think both of you need to relax

it's shoegaze

not nu metal.

swervies were great / are great.

never lose that feeling.

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2008 2:45 PM

Longwave are great!!!!

Posted by sasha | June 13, 2008 2:57 PM

Daft Punk kills it!

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2008 3:11 PM

great shots chris. I take it you're not sleeping much lately?

Posted by lori | June 13, 2008 3:25 PM

You can blame BV and the L rain. :)

Posted by Chris | June 13, 2008 3:28 PM

I was going to say the same thing. I despise the phrase "this band just killed it!" Can't anyone think of any other way to describe the show???
why is the word killed it the only suitable one????

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2008 3:40 PM

swervedriver KILLED IT both nights!!!!

ps...having women at a show is a good thing!(Manhattan Not Brooklyn Asshole)

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2008 5:19 PM

"swervedriver KILLED IT both nights!!!!

ps...having women at a show is a good thing!(Manhattan Not Brooklyn Asshole)
Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2008 5:19 PM"

Well again you sound like a fool using the phrase "killed it".
What does it even really matter if women are at a show when you and most of the dopes on here could not even get one unless you paid for it?

Posted by A Manhattan Not Brooklyn Asshole | June 13, 2008 7:05 PM

the truth be told, all the bands that opened for Swervedriver--both nights in NY and Bklyn--show the vacuum pop-based rock is in these days. totally boring music you could find in any boring college town in America. bar band pop sucks ass---even their originals sound like covers.

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2008 7:14 PM

agreed.

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2008 8:10 PM

longwave blew. most boring set of my life.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2008 12:48 AM

Whatever happened to Schlongwave?

Posted by Anonymous | March 30, 2011 5:56 PM

I was wondering that too. I think it died sometime in the mid-late 90's.

Posted by Anonymous | March 30, 2011 6:27 PM