Posted in music | pictures on June 1, 2008

Jack White & Jack Lawrence @ Terminal 5, Saturday night (Play Vicious)
Raconteurs @ Terminal 5

Brendan Benson, Nick Zinner, Jack Lawrence & White - also Saturday (roxxan23)
Raconteurs @ Terminal 5

The Raconteurs played Terminal 5 in NYC on Friday and Saturday AND Sunday.

Are people actually saying that Saturday night show was just OK??? It was absolutely ripping and jack white is one of the best guitarists alive. The guy was going crazy on stage. He was more into the show than anyone else in the place. The venue sucked, but who cares, no lines for beer. [Anonymous]
Black Lips opened all three nights. More pictures, and Saturday night's Raconteurs setlist, below....

Jack White @ Terminal 5 Friday (Play Vicious)
Raconteurs @ Terminal 5

Saturday night (May 31) setlist
Consolers of the Lonely
Hold Up
You Don't Understand Me
Top Yourself
Switch & Spur
Intimate Secretary
Old Enough
Together
Rich Kid Blues
Level
Steady As She Goes
Blue Vein
Broken Boy Soldier (w/Nick Zinner)
Salute Your Salution
Many Shades of Black
Carolina Drama
Brendan Benson @ Terminal 5 Friday (Play Vicious)
Raconteurs @ Terminal 5

(thx anon for the setlist)

BONUS: some pics that members of the Raconteurs street team took at the show in DC a few days earlier.....

Jack and Brendan and fans
when street teams attack

when street teams attack

when street teams attack

Jack White's biggest fan & Jack White
when street teams attack

when street teams attack

You can listen to the DC show at NPR (like the poster says).

You can see Black Lips tonight (Monday June 2, 2008) @ Maxwell's in Hoboken (and on Thursday in Brooklyn).

i was at the dc show. rich kid blues was incredible live. so was blue vein.

Posted by Anonymous | June 1, 2008 11:59 PM

i want the white stripes back, fuck brendan benson

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2008 12:08 AM

Just back from Terminal 5. First off, that venue is an enigma to me: I think it does a lot of things right, and yet I'm always annoyed. Secondly, the new songs came alive in the performance setting: wow. It made me realize the new record's biggest fault may be its sequencing. Lastly, I do not understand the fan demographic of this band AT ALL -- there were more bad shorts and t-shirts than I could count. I imagine this is the look of the type of crowd at an NBA game. It reminded of the the element that crept in, fist pounding and screaming the lyrics all the way to songs like 'Tractor Rape Chain', in the last few years of Guided By Voices.

Overall, I think the Raconteurs are a gem of a band that are still a few discs away from their masterpiece, but man can they smoke it live.

Posted by greg | June 2, 2008 12:27 AM

liked the show, why tghe mirror in front of jack? weirded me out. is there something i'm missing about that?

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2008 12:31 AM

does anyone know the one cover that jack white (and raconteurs) played on the friday night show??? all i remember is it had an old blues sound, and he was rhying about coca cola.

and the song was amazing.

please help - or if you have any version of this, including live please please email me at s7connor@hotmail.com

Thanks!

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2008 1:02 AM

The song is called "Keep it Clean", by Charley Jordan, a St. Louis blues singer/guitarist from the 30s and 40s.

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2008 1:20 AM

Any special guests on Sunday night?

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2008 1:32 AM

jack white is love

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2008 1:34 AM

Friday’s show felt uncomfortably oversold, and Terminal 5 is a hall with sound and sight problems, but Mr. White pretty much made you forget the irritations.

The band played all but three of the songs from the new Raconteurs album, “Consolers of the Lonely,” but Mr. White didn’t treat the record as a perfect model. His solo on “Many Shades of Black” — startling on record, the kind of thing you go back to in disbelief — here was muted and sunk in to the band’s sound. During an encore, his solo on “Broken Boy Soldier” became a long, compulsive bonanza of downstrokes and the glitchy manual maneuvering of his instrument’s toggle switches.

Posted by NY Times | June 2, 2008 1:34 AM

No special guests Sunday night.

Strong performance. I noticed when Jack told Little Jack something halfway through Store Bought Bones, shortly after which Little Jack began Attention, which they then played, before coming back to finish Store Bought Bones.

There were some off-balance moments in that sequence that brought the band right into the moment with me.

Jack's energy was calm control, just a steady restful focus. I've never seen the place so packed, and he just shared his music with everyone.

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2008 1:42 AM

An audience member gave Brendan a red t-shirt and he put it on. It said "I heart Jack White." And how about Brendan delivering a line from The Doors? Great show!

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2008 2:10 AM

"Jack White's biggest fan & Jack White"

Is that his wife?! If so, she doesn't look anything like she did in the photo of them at that recent gala at the Met.

"s7connor@hotmail.com"

Holy shit, dude, do you have a Saleen S7?

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2008 7:12 AM

"Is that his wife?!"

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2008 7:48 AM

I still cannot believe that show existed on saturday night. Nick Zinner is the man.

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2008 8:01 AM

black lips remain - horrible.

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2008 8:02 AM

did nick zinner guest on Friday?
i left early but i saw him standing in line for an empañada

Posted by Dan | June 2, 2008 8:07 AM

Nick Zinner didn't play with them on Friday...

p.s. What's in empanada?

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2008 10:19 AM

i try to remain a open to new music but the black lips BLEW. they kept playing songs in same key back to back, which meant all their already too similar sound just got blurred together even more. just a sloppy show, lots of smashing drums, trash solos and shouting.

on the up side, it really showed what a crisp sound the racs have, and how professional they are as musicians. they are just so tight on stage.

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2008 10:38 AM

Friday night was my first ever Terminal 5 experience. I was convinced for a while that people were hating on it b/c it was becoming cool to hate on it (and b/c we're all Bowery Ballroom snobs).

Now that I've been there...alright, yeah...the place sucks.

That being said, the Raconteurs absolutely fucking killed it. While I've seen both the Stripes and Raconteurs on multiple occasions, that was the first time I've ever seen Jack White completely tear up a guitar the way he did. The band gave him plenty of room to let loose, and he took advantage of it.

Blue Veins, Level and Steady As She Goes...It's really amazing how tight they all sounded. I can't wait until they have some good experience under their belts playing the new album live.

"Carolina Drama" is just off the charts.

Posted by Drugs Delaney | June 2, 2008 10:53 AM

anyone have the set lists from all the nights..

Posted by mike | June 2, 2008 11:06 AM

1. terminal 5 really does blow
2. the rac's RIPPED IT UP - great show saturday
3. BLUE VEIN!!!!!
4. WHAT was the deal with doods throwing fists around...um, this is supposed to be FUN kids...CHILL!!

Posted by sc | June 2, 2008 11:16 AM

How do mediocre bands like Black Lips get to play on awesome tours like this?

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2008 11:17 AM

Terminal 5 might be the worst venue I've been to outside of Rhode Island. It's everything bad about NYC concert venues all wrapped into one obnoxious space: overcrowded, pretentious, average sound, expensive drinks, rude staff, poor sightlines, etc. It's simply a horrible place to see a show, and I won't be back.

Posted by YA | June 2, 2008 11:40 AM

" was it vice who called the raconteurs "the so-called-super-band with only one super member" ?

i want the white stripes back, fuck brendan benson "

Couldn't agree with this statement more. I am a HUGE WHITE STRIPES fan and when I heard the rumors of these guys all playing together it did get my tail wagging. But then I heard the first record and realized it was just 4 dudes blowing each other and how they are the next super group. Super, not really.

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2008 11:42 AM

I don't know about calling them a "Supergroup"... it comes with some unfair connotation that they are all in it for the money, or they think they're God's gift to the music community, or whatever. And doesn't "Supergroup" imply that they were all big time before they got together? No reason to hate on them, in my opinion. They're a band...that's it. Jack White is an unbelievable singer and musician, and I think you gotta cut him some slack if he wants to play with more than just a (mediocre) drummer.

The White Stripes haven't gone anywhere, either. So what's the problem?

Posted by Drugs Delaney | June 2, 2008 12:20 PM

the black lips stole the show!

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2008 12:47 PM

"the black lips stole the show!"

It's nice to see members of the Black Lips post on this site.

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2008 1:13 PM

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2008 1:37 PM

"I went Friday and Sunday night. First time I saw a show at Terminal 5. Was it crowded? Yeah. Were the sightlines shitty? For the most part. Were the drinks expensive? I only drank beer and $6 beers are cheeper than at a baseball game. Was the staff unfriendly? Everyone from the dude who gave me the wristband for drinks to the chick selling were friendly and joked around. Was the sound bad? You know, not really. It was average. A little boomy, but the place is a essentially a big box. The vocals were clear, you could hear the drums and the guitars and bass were loud. Methinks a lot of people are talking trash about the venue for no reason. There are worse places to see and hear a show. Anyone remember the Academy?"

nice to see terminal 5 staff posting on this site.

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2008 1:51 PM

the LP of Consolers Of The Lonely is fucking beeyooteeful!

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2008 2:12 PM

Terminal 5 is AWFUL. Due to their terrible set up (and the proliferation of 6'2 dudes, which I know is not their fault) we literally could not find a place to stand where we could see the stage (my friend is like 5'3). So we ended up watching the show on the TV screens upstairs. At least they sounded good.

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2008 3:03 PM

i will never (and will advise anyone to never) go to terminal 5 again

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2008 3:14 PM

Black Lips must be descent if they were chosen to open for the Racs. Ass wipe. Why would they pick a shit band, makes no sense. Black Lips Rule!

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2008 3:26 PM

Anyone have a setlist from Sunday? Curious what they played.

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2008 3:29 PM

i completely disagree with Anonymous3:03pm, i think they CAN and MUST do somehting about the proliferation of 6'2"dudes. or at the very least place the GA audience in size order. and and AND! no more fat chicks! *shudder*

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2008 3:43 PM

The obvious solution is to make all venues like McCarren Pool where the floor gets deeper as you get closer to the stage.

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2008 3:52 PM

Black Lips were garbage

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2008 4:17 PM

everyone is hating on the black lips but isnt their whole thing being shitty on purpose? i was laughing the whole time they were on stage.. the dude with the grill was a hoot.

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2008 4:31 PM

The Black Lips are usually a really fun time live, but they were failed by the venue, which completely swallowed their sound.

See them in a bar or some place like Bowery and you'll have a blast.

Posted by Jesus H. Christ | June 2, 2008 4:52 PM

another request for a setlist from sunday. please!

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2008 5:53 PM

I have the setlist from Sunday only thing is I forgot to write level so I'm sticking it in were i thought it was played sorry for a mistake If there is one
consolers of the lonley
the switch and the spur
you dont understand me
top yourself
old enough
hold up
store bought bones
Keep it clean - cover song
(level ?)
yellow sun
steady as she goes - beginning
attention
steady as she goes - end
Rich kids blues
blue veins
----
encore
Together
these stones will shout
many shades of black
Salute your solution
Carolina drama
----
excellent show .. I was second row directly in the middle so I had no prob with the venue ..on top of that I fought a drum stick so I walked away with a smile a drum stick a a bunch of great pics
once again forgive me if level was in the wrong spot and please correct me if I'm wrong
:(Sundays setlist)

Posted by michael | June 2, 2008 6:55 PM

Band is tight, not sure I get the point of sounding like the bands my Dad listened to from the 60's as opposed to doing yr own thing, but...to each their own, and I guess it fits the whole Stripes thing or reviving 60's garage/blues.

I most liked the tracks that sounded like Santana was playing lead.

Second best were the songs that sounded like Badfinger.

Why does Jack White have a mirror when he plays?

Posted by kello | June 2, 2008 7:40 PM

Jack has the mirror so that he can see the rest of the band when he is facing away from the crowd

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2008 7:49 PM

why does everyone hate on terminal 5? it's an excellent venue. it's the second time i've been there. the first was for the mars volta and it was perfect. by the way for the person who's curious about level it was before steady as she goes. oh yeah the show was perfection! also brendan is fucking awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2008 8:01 PM

Thanks michael. :)

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2008 9:56 PM

does anyone have a black lips setlist?

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2008 10:05 PM

>>does anyone have a black lips setlist?

Their bassist.

Posted by kello | June 2, 2008 10:22 PM

black lips didn't play navajo or how do you tell a child I remember. but they did play lean, bad kids, dirty hands, katrina, and slime and oxygen. they also played a new song or at least one I didn't know. hope this helps.

I can deal with all the stupid shit in terminal 5 like the insane bathrooms for example, but its hard to like a place that oversells as bad as it was on friday. from the stage to the back wall behind the bar was packed and really hot. the hives there was really awesome though

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2008 11:04 PM

what's insane about the bathrooms? I had no problem getting into the bathroom. the ones on the third floor were empty the whole night.

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2008 11:55 PM

Why aren't they playing Five on the Five? I love that song.

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2008 8:23 AM

NOOO!! Sunday got Yellow Sun! None of the other dates got that.
But I guess saturday wins because they got Nick Zinner...

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2008 8:58 AM

I love Black Lips! Racontuers are a hell of a lot more talented then White Stripes. Fuck The White Stripes. Megs saggy tits bug me and butter face bug me.

Posted by Jake | June 3, 2008 9:00 AM

^^^ BITE YOUR TONGUE!!!
Meg White is a goddess.

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2008 10:45 AM

I was at the Sat. show it was awesome except for a couple of boneheads who thought it was cool to push chicks around. The teurs were kick ass..and who ever said fuck Brendan Benson sucks..Brendan writes as many songs on BOTH albums as Jack and is a great song writer and performer. I love me some Jack White but no need to hate on Brendan Benson

Posted by natecrawler | June 3, 2008 12:47 PM

"the teurs?"

Haha ok Bra...

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2008 1:02 PM

actually, i am jack white's biggest fan, not that lady...and i was the audience member who threw the "I Love Jack White" tshirt up on stage,i was 2nd row and Jack caught a glimpse of it during the first song and smiled and then Brendan saw it later on and laughed a little, which is why he probably wanted me to give it to him. I don't even care that i didnt get the shirt back, atleast Jack White touched it.

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2008 2:25 PM

^^ And I am your biggest fan, too. Wanna date? x J

Posted by Jack White | June 3, 2008 4:09 PM

Whose music were they playing before the Black Lips?

Posted by Music started in 2001 | June 3, 2008 4:35 PM

How about Patrick Keeler's drumming? I was at the friday show and i thought he was stellar. Match grip pumping....the engine room. Seems like Jack has a thing for grooving with drummers as he faced Patrick quite a bit as he did with Meg when I saw the White Stripes at Bonnaroo. A joy to watch two musicians so interconnected. Anyone have the setlist from friday?

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2008 6:53 PM

i loved the shirt! how do i get one?

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2008 7:57 PM

A decent show--got there late on purpose since opening acts almost always sound crummy--and OK sound.

What I don't understand is how more and more people refuse to buy music they can preview and enjoy for the long haul but will spend $50-$100 (tkts, drinks, etc) on a concert that might sound like crap (which is more and more the case these days in bigger venues) and/or the performance may be off. (To get drunk and sing along, perhaps?) Did I mention dicey sight lines? A pricey gamble, indeed.

(For the record, I don't remember the last time I went to a venue that holds 500+ for a show and enjoyed the sound as well as the performance.)

Posted by Kiko Jones | June 4, 2008 3:54 AM

O.k. What is "the Raconteurs Street Team", and how do I join!?
I was at Saturday and Sunday's shows, saturday was hot and humid...and the ceiling was dripping rave style by the end of the night. However, the music was amazing, and Jack White was a pasty white god of rock! The crowd was kind of young though, I am only 31 and I felt old...a 21 and up show would be much more to my liking as inexperienced drinkers seem to think that mosh pits are appropriate at any show! Save it for NOFX at Irving Plaza in October kiddies! Sunday was a great show, both aesthetically and musically pleasing, and much less hot and humid...but much shorter sets due to the sunday night time constraints...they had to be out by 11pm (hence the hour earlier start time). Personally I am a die hard white stripes fan, but the raconteurs, despite their much more polished sound, still have enough raw rock and blues thrown in to keep me happy while meg is on anxiety hiatus. And seeing Jack rip it up in a small venue is just too perfect to pass up no matter who he is playing with! Wish I had seen the Nashville Dylan show he came out and played at, gives me goosebumps even in MP3 format! mmmm...bobby and jack.

Posted by ebinard | June 4, 2008 6:25 PM

raconteurs take themselves way too seriously... (jack white's mirror? the "R" tapestry? give me a break...) of course the black lips are not made for the arena rock setting... doesn't change the fact that they are much more fun than the rac.s these days.

oh yeah, terminal 5 is a joke.

later!

Posted by not a member of the black lips | June 4, 2008 10:35 PM

venue sucked because you couldn't see anything from anywhere. I was way infront and the second that the racs went on 6' -6'6" tall guys stood infront of me and not just stood infront of me but actually looked at me though hey look a girl who's 5'1" let me elbow her outta the way and stand infront of her. All i could see fro all sides were shoulders. awful. The crowd was rude. staff ok. they seriously need to solve the viewing issues. I honestly was so pissed off that i completely missed like the first 6 songs. I seriously can't even remember them. Venue was definitely over sold. you couldn't move a muscle. I spent all that money and if i wanted to just hear the music i would've put on some headphones and listened to the record. i went to the concert to see the performance while listening and it was completely ruined. tall people should be considerate. if you are abnormally tall move back a little you can see from everywhere. little 5'1" girls can't! jerks!

Posted by carla | June 4, 2008 11:57 PM

by the way jack white's whole mirror thing. It's his thing he does it in the white stripes too. has nothing to do with taking himself too seriously. get over it. black lips were ok, i didn't think they were horrible. if that was the only reason you went to the show then you should've left after they went off. go ahead be a fan of them but don't go crying if not everyone thinks they were the highlight of the evening.

Posted by Anonymous | June 5, 2008 12:00 AM

Jack are we scrying in the mirror?

Posted by Anonymous | June 5, 2008 4:03 AM

"I spent all that money and if i wanted to just hear the music i would've put on some headphones and listened to the record. i went to the concert to see the performance while listening and it was completely ruined."

So, this has NEVER happened to you before? You had no idea there would be people taller than you at this show and that this might hinder your ability to see the band? No? This had better your first concert ever. Otherwise, I call bullshit.

Boo-hoo, you're 5'1", Carla. That's too bad.
But life's not fair, suck it up.

Posted by MotherSucker | June 5, 2008 5:57 PM

While you have to expect to have a somewhat obstructed view if you are short and attending a GA standing room only show, There is a serious and growing lack of concert etiquette in NYC! I've been noticing it more and more over the few years, people just acting like total douchebags to everyone around them. Saturday night was a prime example for two reasons, first, some moron got so drunk that he puked all over himslef, the floor, and everyone around him right in the center of the main floor crowd (lucky for me I wasn't near enough to him to get hit or have to smell it for the rest of the night. Second, as everyone was lined up and packed like cattle to squeeze out the two small exits, a couple of idiots decided to start a brawl in the middle of the crowd...which resulted in the sudden violent pushing and knocking down of everyone around them. I expect that kind of crap at a punk show, but come on...at the Raconteurs?! Grow Up! The most pleasant crowds I've encountered at live shows in the past year, were at Sia at Webster Hall (the brits still know how to treat the ladies in the crowd!), and, surprisingly, the Beastie Boys at last years summer stage. I was shocked at how much cooler and more pleasant the bridge and tunnel crowd there was tan the Manhattan jerks (and I live in Manhattan) at the Hammerstein Ballroom show...I'll take the salt of the earth over the pretentious pricks any day! The Stripes crowd at MSG last year was decent too, didn't turn the show into fan crowd karaoke like tom petty's fans at the same venue. I'm not that old, but I remember a time when people at live shows came together to enjoy their shared love of the music, instead of acting like they have sole rights to it!

Posted by esby77 | June 5, 2008 9:05 PM

get used to seeing Zinner and White together...

Posted by Better You Know | February 6, 2009 7:21 PM