Posted in music | tour dates on June 24, 2008

The Wedding Present

Tickets are on sale for an October 9th The Wedding Present show at Southpaw in Brooklyn. That's the only North American date I have at the moment, but...

The band are also currently organising further tours of Iceland, USA and Canada for September into October and The Netherlands, Belgium, France, Spain, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria and The Czech Republic for November....
...so stay tuned. All other known dates below...

The Wedding Present - 2008 Tour Dates
Dec 13 - Moshulu Aberdeen
Dec 14 - QMU Glasgow
Dec 15 - Academy Newcastle
Dec 16 - University Leeds
Dec 17 - Academy Bristol
Dec 18 - Forum London

Anyway to avoid paying $4.66 on a $15 ticket?

Posted by Anonymous | June 24, 2008 10:31 PM

The Wedding Present is playing at the Empty Bottle in Chicago on October 1.

Posted by Anonymous | June 24, 2008 10:49 PM

"We don't do encores."

Posted by Spectator | June 24, 2008 11:41 PM

That's a long drive to Brooklyn from Leeds. Think of all the gas money the band will spend! Might they have to nix the whole tour? ;-)

Posted by Dfactor | June 25, 2008 12:22 AM

I did an interview with David Gedge that's posted on the front page of my site all week - it's well worth reading if you're a fan of The Weddoes.

Posted by EF Matt | June 25, 2008 7:24 AM

They'll be playing the Middle East in Cambridge, MA on October 6th, as well.

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2008 8:36 AM

One of the greatest pop bands ever.

Shame their recent output kinda sux.

Posted by Crosseyed Sniper | June 25, 2008 8:58 AM

i LOVE the middle east, if it wasn't on a monday i'd go there instead.

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2008 8:59 AM

it's not the wedding present without simon smith. their recent output proves that. this band is just cinerama under the wedding present name.

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2008 9:04 AM

RE: recent output... that's just not true. while Simon Smith is indeed missed, Take Fountain was a pretty darn good album (though I'll admit it was more Cinerama than Wedding Present). and the new record finds the back back in nearly top WP form, guitars and hooks blazing. obviously we can't have the past back but i'd reckon Gedge and crew have aged better than most bands their age.

Posted by EF Matt | June 25, 2008 9:41 AM

I hate that "Girlfriend" song though. I'm a huge fan but for some reason can't pull the trigger on buying the new album.

that being said, I liked Take Fountain all right... But that tour was FANTASTIC. Absolutely killed.

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2008 10:03 AM

take fountain was great

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2008 10:13 AM

there's going to be one very happy leeds lad down the front at southpaw on the 9th. i respect everyone's right to an opinion but i cannot agree that take fountain and el rey 'suck'. perfect blue is one of the most gorgeous, life affirming songs i have ever heard, ely rey's lyrics are vintage gedge (who's travelled a bit lately). i first saw them perform in 1988 in lister park bradford (near leeds) and seeing them on the last tour was just as great as the first time

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2008 10:15 AM

They're in DC at the Black Cat on Sat. 10/11 too.

Posted by Steve | June 25, 2008 10:53 AM

I like their version of Take That's "I Want You Back".

Posted by Bayridge Mike | June 25, 2008 10:54 AM

I agree that Take Fountain was a fantastic album. Can't wait to get the new one.

Posted by anonymous | June 25, 2008 11:03 AM

it hasn't been the Wedding Present since Pete Solowka left.

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2008 12:14 PM

I kind of agree about the Simon Smith comment, but you could say the same about bassist Keith Gregory (Darren Belk wasn't much of a replacement, though I like Watusi a lot)... at this point it's like the Fall, Gedge is the Wedding Present.

And the new album sounds like a WP album (which I'm not sure you could say about Take Fountain, more of a leftover Cinerama record, good as it was) though I think Gedge's lyrics are a little cringe-y this time.

Lyrical issues aside, Gedge has one of the most consistently good track records of any artist who started in the '80s, if you ask me, and the new record is quite good. TWP were good the last time through two years ago...

Posted by bill p | June 25, 2008 12:29 PM

One of the best live bands i've ever seen.
Seamonsters is godhead.
Too bad their new release is shite.

Posted by brassneck | August 25, 2008 7:04 PM

El Rey is the worst thing they've ever done. A pity because I'm a big fan, but just don't know if I can cringe my way through a fistful of songs from it. The lyrics, ugh.

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2008 4:01 PM