Posted in music | pictures | video on June 15, 2008

photos by Ryan Muir

Vampire Weekend @ Summerstage

As expected, people started lining up early for the free Vampire Weekend show in Central Park on Saturday afternoon (June 14, 2008). As also expected, there was rain. Neither of those factors scared a significant amount of people away though. Vampire Weekend played to an extremely enthusiastic and packed house. Born Ruffians opened the 4 pm show. Then it rained. Then came Kid Sister. Vampire Weekend was last. Andrew W.K. hyped up the crowd between acts and later joined Vampire Weekend on stage on some songs including a cover of Tom Petty's "Don't Come Around Here No More". A video of that cover and more pictures of VW, WK, and the wet crowd, below...

Vampire Weekend Cover Tom Petty w/ Andrew W.K.

Vampire Weekend @ Summerstage

Vampire Weekend played Bonnoaroo two days earlier.

BONUS: Here's that classic 'teen jumpers' video from the free show Vampire Weekend played in a NYC park last summer:

and another one:

HA-HA!

Posted by Nelson Muntz | June 15, 2008 3:02 PM

so how exactly did this band go from getting a dozen or so people at the east river show last summer to filling summerstage to capacity hours before their set?

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2008 3:03 PM

^^ blame mtv and the radio.
i clearly am an indie music fascist, and i dont deny it, but it was really fucking annoying to know that some of these people live off of z100 and listen to chris brown and panic at the disco daily.

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2008 3:07 PM

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2008 3:09 PM

Wait, you like Vampire Weekend but despise Chris Brown and Panic at the Disco? Pot, meet kettle.

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2008 3:15 PM

OMG WET TEENAGERS!

...and Andrew WK (???)

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2008 3:15 PM

Ezra = sexy.

That said, I'm kind of glad I didn't go. I don't even like VW all that much, and I hate getting stuck in the rain.

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2008 3:16 PM

it is possible.. look at how small VW once was..

Posted by ashlee | June 15, 2008 3:28 PM

yuppie rock...how special.

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2008 3:36 PM

The lines for Summerstage shows these days are absolutely ridiculous. Crazy how just, like, 6 years ago you could pretty much walk right up and go instead of having to wait for fucking 5 hours in line and have to watch all the openers.

No thanks.

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2008 3:37 PM

"I know, I hate how these forms of entertainment broadcasting, specifically designed to present people with new content, do their job. It's totally annoying and not cool."

I know, i know, I just dont really enjoy when the delve into the indie realm. Maybe VW never was indie, maybe they were. It just confuses me as to why they were picked to become big on mtv while others dont get that kind of attention.
I spend a huge deal of my time searching for new music and I find vampire weekend, and am happy. Then the entire world is just handed them via tv, and all my pride is in vain.
I dont mind that people like them, there doesnt have to be a certain 'type' to listen to them or anything. I just hate those people who see them on mtv and dont have half a brain to decide whether they really like them or not, they just become fans because radio tells them that theyre cool.
Dont give me shit, you do the same thing. thus why you are on brooklynvegan.

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2008 3:38 PM

that part when the rain came down really hard during was awful!

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2008 3:40 PM

Bottom line: Vampire Weekend are just two slippery steps away from American Idol. Their "unique" sound is totally accessible and totally safe for the pre-pubescent girls and boys (see picture above) who flocked to this free show. They are like Menudo.

Mainstream shit deserves a mainstream audience. These kids will all leave the city after college, move to the suburbs and have 2.5 children. I predict Vampire Weekend have one more album in them and then they'll head off to Law school.

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2008 3:40 PM

Anon 3:40: Some were like that the show, and then there was a totally different side.
it was weird, like two worlds colliding. not exactly a huge collision, but a subtle one.
i for one, say fuck the suburbs and the 2.5 children. good lord.
i do occasionally enjoy Vampire Weekend though.

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2008 3:45 PM

Blame the Blogs, MTV and Top40 Radio. period. Bands that go from mere Obscurity to Fame is the "Now" concept. posting of 4track demos quickly go from laptop to web in mere seconds.

not how it used to be in a xeroxed fanzine world, sadly.

Pot Kettle Corn

Posted by Al Flipside | June 15, 2008 3:49 PM

All this complaining as usual. I didn't wait 5 hrs. to get in, it was pretty much a 15 min. delay. And, once I was in, there were thousands of people dancing and having fun in the rain, not leaving or even really complaining.

i don't love vampire weekend, but they wrote some good, fun tunes that people enjoy.

Posted by Joe | June 15, 2008 3:51 PM

Joe, man, I agree.

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2008 3:54 PM

you guys all need to remove the sticks from your asses.

their shit is catchy. deal.

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2008 4:01 PM

blame the media for popularity! wahhhhhh! wahhhhhhhhh!

brooklynvegan=mtv=spin=rolling stone=etc,media zeitgeist.

there's just too many elitist fucks out here. they're popular because they're mainstream sounding - they're not popular because they got mainstream attention. No Age still hasn't sold many albums and they're getting the same mtv treatment.

wahhhh. my band got popular. but i worked so hard to find them before everyone else! blast mtv! wahhhhh.

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2008 4:04 PM

i was going to see VW at a small place called the bloomfield ave cafe 2 years ago. they decided not to play. fast forward two years, and you have them playing summerstage with a packed audience. i wish they had not cancelled the 2006 show.

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2008 4:05 PM

FYI: the Vampire Weekend record sold more records in its first week of release than all the No Age releases put together.

Apples and Oranges. I don't know what Anon 4:04 is even talking about.

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2008 4:14 PM

They are a good band that makes good music. That is why they are so popular now.

Who gives a shit if MTV endorses them. Like them for what they are and get over this I found them first bullshit.

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2008 4:20 PM

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2008 4:23 PM

didn't a vampire weekend member(s) play in that other shitty band dirty projectors?

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2008 4:37 PM

nice to see ashton kutcher on the keyboards for vampire weekend. and, i like it when tom cruise where's head to toe white clothes.

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2008 4:37 PM

So.... now that we've punched ourselves out, did anyone actually go to the show?

Free boat shoes for reasonable opinions!

Posted by A Roach | June 15, 2008 4:38 PM

These guys didn't even pick a good Tom Petty song to cover. If you are going to "go there," at least make it worth everyone's suspending their disbelief for a second and find a good Tom Petty song.

Sad that the dude from VW is gonig to make his cause the vinidication of Tom Petty.

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2008 4:45 PM

I was front row at this show yesterday. It was beyond incredible. We skipped the waiting line to get in and had a great spot. The rain just added to the overall memorableness of the concert. Born Ruffians were incredible, Kid Sister sucked but her dancers were hilarious, and Vampire Weekend blew everyone away with their set. Four hours later and soaked to the bone, I left through the park only to run into Ezra leaving the scene. I shook his hand and said, "Great show!". He thanked me, and that sealed an unforgettable day.

Posted by Alex de Large | June 15, 2008 4:48 PM

Great Fucking Pictures!

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2008 4:56 PM

who cares if they're popular or if they weren't popular before. they were lame before and are still lame. sorry to tell you.

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2008 4:56 PM

>>anon 4:04 is simply pointing out that it's not the attention that garners the fans - it's the mainstream quality of the music.

We agree. I was the one who made the point that VW is pure whitebread boredom. They will do one more record, then they will be out of ideas and they will retreat to the suburbs, where they will listen to their Tom Petty records and look back fondly at the 15 seconds of fame that they had.

I just wish I could fast forward things a bit.

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2008 5:17 PM

"VW is pure whitebread boredom."

That's exactly why they will stay popular. There are alot of boring whitebread people out there.

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2008 5:21 PM

yeah honestly I didn't wait that long either. It was a bitch getting to central park in the rain and what not but I just waited in a line of maybe 50 people for no longer than 20-30 minutes, than I got in and like someone else mentioned...I had fun being around all the freak dancing in the rain.

Can't complain when it's free.

Posted by pop guru | June 15, 2008 5:22 PM

A-Trak was the best during the afternoon.

Posted by Eduardo | June 15, 2008 5:24 PM

I wasn't that impressed with what I heard of VW before and the whole hype thing drives me crazy. That said, I thought they put on a good show yesterday. It's goofy, fun music and people clearly had a good time, so what's the big deal? No, they aren't going to be remembered down the line, but it was a fun moment.

I did laugh when they introduced the Tom Petty song and the singer said TP gets written off as "frat rock". I was like, "Dude, look at your audience. Lots of frat boys!" Maybe it was a pre-emptive thing.

Posted by shutyourfuckingpiehole | June 15, 2008 5:29 PM

vampire weekend = hootie and the blowfish

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2008 5:53 PM

Alex de Large:

Can the music of a band like Vampire Weekend really blow people away?

Watch Live at Pompeii to find out what kind of music is capable of blowing minds.

"Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa"...not quite

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2008 6:23 PM

No Age = Overrated

sorry, but they sound like early 90's Oblivians ....but with nifty packaging and graphics.

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2008 6:26 PM

you angry aging hipsters make me laugh. who gives a fuck. listen to what you like, and who gives a shit what MTV is playing.

Best of luck to VW! They write tight pop songs and got incredibly lucky.

Posted by steve | June 15, 2008 7:15 PM

No Age is a fun little group, but they do NOT sound like the Oblivians (another awesome underexposed, underrated band) at all.

With that said - I'm not exactly lamenting xerox fanzine days. Things progress. You can't stop the sea from coming forward. If I like a band and they become wildly popular, power to them, but VW is and was quite boring, the size of their audience has no bearing on that for me.

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2008 7:31 PM

awesome photos ryan!

Posted by Bryan | June 15, 2008 8:17 PM

First of all the show was amazing! The rain was an added bonus and annoyance all at once.
But Alex de Large...screw people like you! My friends and I waited flipping 4 and a half hours in line for a band we've liked since 2 years ago before all this backlash, and yea it's kind of upsetting that the media has blown them up to unecessary proportions, but we expected the line, and the people cutting in line are the people that ruin it for the real fans. So if you consider yourself a hardcore old vampire weekend fan you have something wrong in your head.

Posted by Shannon Thomas | June 15, 2008 9:04 PM

you guys are such haters. why does it bother you that people like a band. let them enjoy themselves and be happy for this band. such negativity. if this band bothers you so much don't read the review of their concert. since when did indie rock become "rap" with all the fans arguing over who'se better. it doesn't matter who is better. i am more of a fan of challenging music personally however i saw vampire weekend on a whim earlier this year and had a great time. not every band needs to be pink floyd or silver mt zion. just enjoy music. damn.

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2008 9:12 PM

my favorite song by the oblivians, now i know they didnt write it, was live the life. what was yours?

Posted by let's be constructive | June 15, 2008 9:25 PM

yo... i'm such and older VW fan than 9:04.... I liked them in 2005!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2008 9:59 PM

is that mila kunis in the top pic?

Posted by Shovevani | June 15, 2008 10:02 PM

fuck vampire weekend fans showing up like 5 hours early for a band going on last. i was locked out of born ruffians and it fucking sucked. and standing behind the stage was a bust too. I guess people were right when they said show up early. i didn't think they were that popular.

Posted by Mandy | June 15, 2008 10:34 PM

So pissed... waited for 3 hours for Born Ruffians and Vampire Weekend, listened to Ruffians from outside, show got "canceled" (who knows what that was about), was going to wait out the storm, lightning hit a tree 20 feet away from me, decided to bail (they said there was little chance of ever getting in and the rain showed no signs of letting up). What really pissed me off the most was the group of idiot security people who told me 30 different stories about why we couldn't go into the concert at ANY point during the day (ranging from we're at full capacity to the show has been "canceled" to we just don't want you on the bleachers in the lightning), especially when there was clearly bleacher room. I understand that they didn't want us on the bleachers in the thunder and lightning (that seemed like the most plausible reason), but it made no sense that they couldn't give us a clear answer as to 1) why we couldn't go in and 2) if there was ever going to be a time when we could go in. Looks like a great show (great pics btw)- I'm sorry I missed it.

Posted by Fisch | June 15, 2008 10:56 PM

great show, but too many 8 year olds. they really need to 18+ summerstage. i started to make my way up close to the stage during kid sisters set and stopped bothering once I counted about 30 kids with braces. Go do your homework kids.

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2008 11:05 PM

Dude, 18+ is so lame. There are enough shows in 18+ places (bars and such) that limit the amount of music high schoolers can go and see. I don't see why we should group shows in a public park with them. If you start cutting out parks, that leaves us with next to nothing.

Posted by Fisch | June 15, 2008 11:10 PM

'great show, but too many 8 year olds.'

vampire weekend the band looks like a bunch of 8 year olds. if it was 18+ they wouldn't be able to get in without I.D.

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2008 11:45 PM

aw, 9:04, boohoo. first come, first serve.
get mad at the kids who didnt even like vampire weekend.
we cut, but we also love vampire weekend. does that count?
lifes a bitch, man up.

Posted by christina | June 16, 2008 12:07 AM

making summer stage 18+? im sorry if having music tastes similiar to a teenager's makes you feel juvenile or silly, but having a sense of entitlement with respect to music is pretty juvenile and silly in and of itself

vw is fun music to dance along to in a pretty park. get over it.

music should not be a constant contest of cross-referencing and analysis, just listen to what you enjoy listening to.

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2008 12:10 AM

Fisch,
When you grow up, you will see things differently. TRUST me on this.

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2008 12:17 AM

i'm a bonna-fide 30-something hipster, and i love it when there are young people at a show i go to. i'm overjoyed, in fact. it means there might be hope for me.

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2008 12:57 AM

No, it means you're either a pedophile or a cougar in training.

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2008 1:51 AM

looks exactly like a jonas brothers concert. oh shit, i just outed myself as a jonas brothers concert-goer.

Posted by sam | June 16, 2008 2:15 AM

yes you did sam, yes you did

Posted by Mandy | June 16, 2008 2:24 AM

this does not make sense. Hope for you in what respect?

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2008 2:24 AM

Leave it to hipsters to oversight the shittyness of their blog canon and obsess over immaterial things like how popular a band is.

Maybe the problem is that Vampire Weekend and the vast majority of bands pidgeonholed into the marketing scheme and obnoxious brand lifestyle known as "indie" suck.

Its not 2004 anymore, no one with a guitar is going to save you. But you all already know that because the smart ones are dickriding electrohouse and Lil' Wayne.

Congrats on failing.

Posted by Chris | June 16, 2008 2:47 AM

great pics!! i loved the concert, i got front row ;) but i agree that some people that didn't even like vw went, they just made less space for the actual fans.

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2008 8:14 AM

has no-one made a Andrew W.K. "i get wet" joke yet?!

Posted by rc | June 16, 2008 8:27 AM

i think it's pretty pretentious to quit liking a band when they become more famous. vampire weekend only has one album, so it's not like you can say their music has changed because of their popularity.

i was at the show and i thought it was amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2008 8:49 AM

let me say something here, 75 to 90 percent of people who go to these shows know fuck all about who is playing. You could have some no name band there and the park would be almost full.

that being said when did the park security start being so assholish about letting people into the grounds? I've been going to these shows since late 80s and never remember any lines or overcrowding problems until last 2 years or so. People would come and go as they saw fit. now you have that fence in there which reduces capacity by at least 200, and the stupid goddamn line. they fucking ruined summerstage.

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2008 9:22 AM

haha
to sharon thomas
what in the world? waiting on a line for crazy amount of hours doesn't make you a true fan it just makes you a crazy fanatic
i've been listening to them pretty early aswell
even saw em at cake shop
and i totally jumped that line like whoa
infact i think that's the entitlement that "true" fans feel
but whatever
besides bottom line you got your spot
i think crowd jumpers are the bad ones but line jumpers
all good

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2008 10:19 AM

word the 12 year olds made me feel real weird and that i was dressed way inappropriately
until i saw the 12 year old grils grinding on eachother in the rain
or giving a kid an eye and then realzing he had a girlfriend and seeing she looks 14

egat you kids are ruining my swerve
or having some kid dancing with me in the rain and then hearing him speak to his friend saying ""do you totally realize we're surounded by college kids"

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2008 10:30 AM

Once I heard the thunder I get my ass out of there, but looking at these photos is making me wish I'd stuck it out. Damn it sexy Ezra in your wet shirt!

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2008 10:30 AM

I Agree with the comments "Great Fucking Photos" i like how the rain looks...

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2008 10:34 AM

that dude in the grey shirt who is high5ing the other dude looks like john wilkes booth or some shit.

Posted by dann belkin | June 16, 2008 10:50 AM

shutting your mouth is both indie and underground

;

if you shut the fuck up, you will be cool.

no, not really, but it would sure help things.

A big lot.

Posted by bjorn against! | June 16, 2008 10:53 AM

andrew wk is nuts

Posted by nick | June 16, 2008 10:55 AM

these pics are amazing, good job ryan muir. best show of my fucking life

Posted by Gillian | June 16, 2008 2:08 PM

Can you say wet t-shirt contest? Seriously...one out of at least every 10 girls, forgot to wear a bra under her white or thin shirt/blouse!

Posted by Johnny | June 16, 2008 5:42 PM

Amazing pictures, great job and a fun show!

Posted by Roland | June 16, 2008 6:12 PM

Listen, blame what? They got the publicity they needed through TV and the radio and they are better than ever before. Some people need to stop bitching about how they sound. If your going to sit here and type up angry comments about vampire weekend and bash them for being on MTV, dont even comment. Its pointless. The amount of people who care are about 3,
1. yourself
2. some other angry fat man who happens to agree with you
3.and your mother who is complaining that you spend too much time on the computer and need to go to a respected college and get a FUCKING LIFE

Posted by Taylor | June 16, 2008 7:30 PM

blah blah blah

indie cred is for suckers. just like what you like.

i saw john norris before, during and after the show. he also waited on line in the pouring --nay life siphoning,soul drenching--rain. does that make him a "true fan" like everyone keeps claiming? no. he went to see and good show.(and i dunno... sprinkle MTV poison all around)this guy's been haunting almost every show i've been to sincelike... november.its inevitable that bands are gonna get "big". deal. indie is the new marketing trend. lest we forget with pop-punk takeover of 2002. it'll pass and all ya'll can get your hipster swerve back on. sheesh

Posted by aly | June 17, 2008 12:26 AM

Yeah I saw John Norris after the show aswell. I wasn't sure if it was him though so I didn't say anything.

Posted by popguru | June 17, 2008 10:57 AM

is there anywhere john norris isnt?
its like he goes home to the two hundred clones of himself and gives them a calendar of shows for the week

respect

Posted by Anonymous | June 23, 2008 8:40 PM

Here's a little video we just made about Andrew W.K. for anybody interested:

Posted by Katie Camosy | July 17, 2008 3:50 PM