Posted in metal | music | video on June 16, 2008

Metallica @ Bonnaroo 2008 (cred)
Metallica @ BOnnaroo

I hate Metallica now too, but that doesn't change the fact that they used to be the best...

Metallica - Bonnaroo 2008 - Master of Puppets

Metallica - Bonnaroo 2008 - Seek and Destroy

Metallica - Bonnaroo 2008 - Last Caress

Metallica - Bonnaroo 2008 - Whiplash

Metallica - Bonnaroo 2008 - Ride the Lightning

Metallica - Bonnaroo 2008 - Creeping Death

Bonnaroo began in earnest Friday with the rarest of double bills: Chris Rock followed by Metallica.

Metallica's Lars Ulrich and Kirk Hammett introduced Rock, and the comedian in turn introduced who he called "the baddest ... band in the world." Both acts were unlikely fare for the Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival, which began in 2002 as primarily a jam band event.

But in recent years, Bonnaroo has broadened itself and brought more diverse fans to its 700-acre countryside site south of Nashville. Among the tens of thousands of festival-goers, Rock, Metallica and many other performers were very conscious of their entry into a tie-dyed world they seldom traffic in.

In a bit in his set about Prozac and other medications, Rock chastised the crowd, who he said was likely on "performance-enhancing drugs."

"You all should be ashamed of yourselves for taking antidepressants to see a comedian," joked Rock. "I am an antidepressant!"

Metallica also touted its cheerfulness.

"Do you feel good?" lead singer James Hetfield asked the crowd. "Metallica is here to make you feel better." [AP]

Kirk Hammett also played with My Morning Jacket.

that bass player is unforgivable.

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2008 11:08 AM

You know at the end of Fade to Black, when Hetfield told the crowd "Metallica cares about you", I almost got tears in my eyes.

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2008 11:09 AM

FUCKING WHIPLASH!!

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2008 11:10 AM

the classics? where the hell is enter sandman?

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2008 11:10 AM

only 1st three albums are classic.

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2008 11:13 AM

enter sandman is not a classic. that's when they started sucking like NAFTA.

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2008 11:14 AM

I agree with 11:08, I wish they kicked that guy out.

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2008 11:15 AM

copyright

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2008 11:17 AM

Metallica vs Vampire Weekend?

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2008 11:20 AM

was that bass player in korn or one of those other late 90s "rock-metal" bands or something? wow.

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2008 11:25 AM

At one time the best? That's plain silly.

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2008 11:30 AM

"was that bass player in korn or one of those other late 90s "rock-metal" bands or something?"

Actually, the bass player is Robert Trujillo. He was in Suicidal Tendencies and Infectious Grooves, which makes him a hell of a lot cooler than any of you.

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2008 11:32 AM

He was a member of Suicidal Tendencies and Infectious Grooves, now he gets left out of Metallica's mix most nights.

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2008 11:33 AM

maybe if he acted less like a muscle-head retard on a 'roid rage Id like him better.

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2008 11:45 AM

suicidal tendencies is unforgivable.

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2008 11:47 AM

has anyone noticed that Lars really sucks these days. He was never amazing live... but man, he really is barely holding on for a lot of these songs.

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2008 12:00 PM

Good god that sucked. "Yeah, Whiplash!"
Oh this is now the end of the world.
That bass player plays like the biggest douche in the world.
What's with the apeman stance?
Also, what is up with Hetfield's "Oh, Oh, Oh."?
They rocked so hard in the early years, but I guess
money and anti-depressants can suck the life out of
any musician.

Posted by fortyver | June 16, 2008 12:19 PM

Look, I like Master of Puppets as much as the next guy, but that's a horrible cover of Last Caress.

Posted by zik | June 16, 2008 12:35 PM

The bass player was in Suicidal Tendencies.

Posted by JP | June 16, 2008 1:16 PM

stop covering the misfits. please.

Posted by d | June 16, 2008 1:16 PM

Metallica represents and has lead to everything i hate in the world of music. When i heard they were coming to bonnaroo i was shocked and disgusted.

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2008 1:18 PM

Enter the Sandman.

...no, not the song, of course, but whoever took over from Howard Sims at the Apollo to get this has been band off the public stage already.

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2008 1:29 PM

I can only hope to have the stamina and physicality those dudes have when I'm in my mid-40's, regardless of how I feel about their career.

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2008 1:45 PM

"A prohhibitionist is someone you wouldn't drink with, even if they drank."

Lars always makes me think about that quote.

Posted by adam | June 16, 2008 2:10 PM

I hate that shit James does with his voice at the end of every line. Just fucking scream it like the old days. Seek and Destroy sounded TERRIBLE. It seemed really slow and again with the voice. Whiplash was better then I expected though. It's just so sad what happened to these fuckers. They need to start hanging with Megadeth, Slayer, and Testament. They're just as old but at least they still play the classics the way they should sound. This new album they're working on is going to suck isn't it? Not even Rubin can turn these fuckers around at this point.

Posted by Matt | June 16, 2008 2:52 PM

23 years of aging and the death of cliff burton takes a toll...

but metallica is, was, and always will be one of the best. check this:

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2008 3:06 PM

Paramore is playing Central Park on 8/28.

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2008 4:09 PM

Hey ***holes!! I was their and it is a hippie fest so can you figure out why the slow music and weird voices? How about 60000 plus people with a headfull of acid and other hallucinagines!! If you where ****ed up on those they kicked ass. I think they took some lessons off of TOOL as how to **** with people on acid. I say good job Metallica you sure blew my mind.

Posted by Donald G Wood | June 17, 2008 9:39 AM

Get real people, were the haters on this post even at the show? I was there and to tell you the truth, i was shocked that metallica was on the bill. I thought they would probably suck becuase i haven't been a fan since the release of load, i lost respect then and it has slowly dwindled. But, they put on a hell of a show and just kicked everone's ass in the audience. At the beginning the crowd was tough, but Metallica are vets and by the end of the show the whole crowd was into it, and to get the crowd that loud in an outdoor venue was unbeleivable. So to all you haters out there, suck it, they made a beleiver out of me again after 10 years and i will gladly pay to see that type of ass kicking again.

Posted by Nate Tabbert | June 17, 2008 3:13 PM

I crowd surfed to Nothing Else Matters
AND ITS TRUE!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2008 6:38 PM

Simply awesome! I had a hard time accepting the fact that I was going to see Metallica at Bonnaroo! I told people that I was gonna check them out and most people wished me luck. Now I am back home and I am telling people what they missed out on!! I was so energized after the show. What a great combo... Chris Rock and Metallica! If you were there with an open mind and left your cynicism back at the tent, there was no chance in hell of walking away unsatisfied! It is a shame that some people are too closed minded to accept greatness when it is offered to them!

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2008 6:48 PM

I was there w. a head full! They just fired me up and I was slamming around all them "metal heads" dressed in polo shirts, I didnt get the whole effect of a Tallica show, and you wouldnt having a metal band at a Festival for heads.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2008 5:13 PM

Islam is a religion of peace

Posted by منتديات | February 23, 2011 12:59 PM