Posted in metal | music on July 11, 2008

by Black Bubblegum

Day two of the At The Gates mayhem - July 10, 2008 (sabeth)
At The Gates

It doesn't matter what kind of band you have, if you have a room full of people who let go of the ol' jaded-NYC-crossed-arms-seen-all-before thing - it's gonna come off well. That's exactly how it went down with At The Gates last night at Irving Plaza (July 10, 2008) It was their second NYC show in a row, and the second show of their North American "Suicidal Final" reunion tour. While they were technically excellent and crowd-participation was on high (to say the least), I wasn't blown away by their stage presence or their mostly stoic stage show. That said, the sound was excellent from my vantage point and I almost wanted to be one of THOSE guys..."Dude, I was in the pit for AT THE GATES!" Remember, I said almost. Video from the show and setlist follows.

At The Gates - "Slaughter Of The Soul"

AT THE GATES Setlist @ Irving Plaza, 7/10/08 (identical to 7/9/08):

11. Nausea
12. The Beautiful Wound
13. Suicide Nation
14. All Life Ends
15. Need
16. Blinded By Fear
17. The Flames Of The End (from tape)

Tags: At the Gates

a boring show, if there weren't from sweden they
had not sold out both shows.
Boris was so much better show.

Posted by anon | July 11, 2008 2:00 PM

wow, helmet party, huh?

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2008 2:40 PM

It seemed like there were almost as many people there for the Toxic Holocaust/Municipal Waste portion as for At the Gates. If not in numbers then in passion.

There was a moment when the guitarist for "the Waste" said how good it was At the Gates was playing with them. A guy next to me heckled back "no, YOU are playing with THEM" however I wasn't exactly sure who was right.

The vibe when At the Gates went on was weirdly violent for sure. I've been to some metal shows lately where people have gone Brazil levels of crazy but this was a bit meat-headier. Even towards the back people were crushing and throwing beer cans and creating mini-pits.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2008 3:02 PM

The best way too avoid the "ol' jaded-NYC-crossed-arms-seen-all-before thing" is to stop going to indie buzz band shows and start going to shows that actually rock.

That has been my experience over the years.

Posted by BK | July 11, 2008 3:53 PM

thanks for not being scared to cover metal BV. It's quite refreshing.

derek @ impose

Posted by always right | July 11, 2008 4:25 PM

i went to the show because i really liked darkest hour and municipal waste, but i also like at the gates but didnt know much of their stuff. best concert of my life regardless, wait maybe 3rd best.
1. flaming lips
2. dillinger escape plan
3. at the gates

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2008 6:30 PM

i thought it was great show, but i agree the crowd seemed oddly violent. ive been to tons of metal shows, and i saw amon amarth at fillmore in december and the show was way better than i expected because the crowd was totally fun, but last night it seemed everyone was too cool for school and wanted to go into the pit to start a fight.

i love at teh gates tho

Posted by jkristian | July 11, 2008 9:32 PM

I was at both shows. And both shows were excellent. I saw them 12 years ago and they were even better this time around.

I didn't think the crowd was violent at all. Rather tame compared to some metal shows I've been too. I thought it would have been much worse.

At The Gates is my favorite metal band and seeing them again after 12 years just cemented that fact.

BTW - the Set list were NOT the same. The played "Kingdom Gone" as the last song on the second night.

Posted by Erik | July 12, 2008 11:54 AM