Posted in music | tour dates on July 22, 2008

Bob DylanBob Dylan

Tickets are on sale (password=scrapple) for an August 8th Bob Dylan show at the Electric Factory in Philadelphia. The show is "to commemorate the legendary venue's 40th Anniversary". The Brooklyn show is August 12th. Asbury Park is the 13th. (thx Hiro)

All the best to Bob Dylan show organizers at the Electric Factory in Philadelphia.

Posted by Sam Vander | July 22, 2008 7:33 PM

Yes and thank you Phila for the fine Philly Cheese Steak!..!!!

Posted by Waffle | July 22, 2008 7:46 PM

damn that's a small venue for dylan.

Posted by Anonymous | July 22, 2008 8:13 PM

Too many good shows on Aug 8th....

1) Dylan
2) APW Friday
3) Iggy Pop
4) Hercules & love affair

Posted by Anonymous | July 22, 2008 9:01 PM

Sucks.

Posted by Anonymous | July 22, 2008 9:23 PM

Venue's same capacity as one in Asbury (~3500)

Posted by Anonymous | July 22, 2008 10:01 PM

1) Dylan
2) APW Friday
3) Iggy Pop
4) Hercules & love affair

the only thing dumber than thinking of a H&LA show as comparable to a bob dylan one is thinking of a H&LA show as comparable to an iggy pop one.

Posted by Anonymous | July 22, 2008 10:06 PM

he played there in 2004

Posted by Anonymous | July 22, 2008 10:08 PM

Capacity is 2250, i bartended there back in the day...Sonic Youth opened the joint, for you history buff mcpool-corpses

Posted by Anonymous | July 22, 2008 10:37 PM

how dare you be torn between Dylan and H&LA.

this message board is officially dead.

Posted by Anonymous | July 22, 2008 11:02 PM

I'm a huge Dylan fan but I have no interest in hearing an old man croon 12-bar blues songs that bear little to no resemblance to the songs that I love so much other than name and lyrical content.

It's not so blasphemous for people to wonder aloud how anyone could want to go to these shows, and also not so ridiculous to understand why you would still want to see him even though he's got almost nothing to offer- for anyone who understands what Dylan meant to the 60's and 70's, even if you're like me and born two decades later, you know that getting a chance to see Dylan is almost akin to getting a chance to see Ghandi in his prime.

Then again, I'm not sure if I'd pay a ticket to watch a guy fast for a while. I guess I'm not very star-struck, so you all enjoy your Dylan shows while he's still around.

Posted by Sam | July 22, 2008 11:30 PM

i agree with 11:30pm.

i'm also a huge Dylan fan, but i saw him perform/mumble in '98 or '99. nothing spectacular.

Posted by Anonymous | July 22, 2008 11:50 PM

Whatever, aint nothing as good as Chrome Sitar by T Rex!

Posted by Anonymous | July 23, 2008 12:29 AM

Actually, I changed my mind since that previous post I made. I just bought 4 tickets. It is Bob Dylan after all. I know its not going to be as good as he was in the 60's and 70's but I at least would like to say I was there.

Posted by Sam | July 23, 2008 12:30 AM

Dylan's backing group from '97-'00 was arguably his best since the '70s. Riding the commercial success of Time Out of Mind, the band and Bob were playing with a renewed sense of purpose and energy. Dylan was far more audible then usual and happy.

If you were unimpressed by probably his best period in your lifetime (depending on when you were born), it may not be Dylan that is the issue...

Posted by Anonymous | July 23, 2008 12:34 AM

I only saw him once. I can say I saw Dylan, but I wasn't too disappointed because i expected him to play as he did. A great band on stage, it was more of a jazzy/blues feel. He changes up the songs, because he doesn't have all that much left of a voice.

Posted by Anonymous | July 23, 2008 12:37 AM

12:34.... Dylan's live peak was in '66 at Royal Albert Hall, so... yeah.

Posted by Anonymous | July 23, 2008 1:11 AM

I wonder if the Nitrous Mafia is gonna show up for this show.

Posted by Anonymous | July 23, 2008 1:33 AM

anon 11:30 is talking out of his ass. The line about what Dylan meant to the 60s and 70s nearly had me in tears laughing.

Get a clue.

Dylan is still putting out great albums. He's been touring for 30 years straight... so obviously he's going to get sick of playing his songs the same way every night. Even with a catalog as large as his... the guy is a genius, he's going to want to change things up a bit (or a lot in his case).

One thing you also have to understand is he's going to have an off night every now and then. He's not a machine (obviously).

I've seen Dylan a few times every year, and have been consistently blown away. It's been a while since I have seen him (maybe 8 years), but the conditions for the Prospect Park show have the potential to be downright magical.

Maybe one day the curmudgeons will realize they were wrong blasting the greatest artist of our time. He doesn't "suck" now... he's merely grown older and adapted to his age. And just because what Dylan's doing now is different than what he did in the 60s and 70s, doesn't mean it's bad.

Posted by wembley | July 23, 2008 6:50 AM

I think Dylan has every right to reinterpret his songs any way he wants. Then again, I have the right to turn down paying 75 bucks to see it. Have seen him about 20 times but after the last time I saw him at the Beacon, I gave up on him. I just find that he is a road warrior who rarely will play with passion. Why he chooses to sing the way he does I think has to do with the fact that he is incapable of hitting any other range other than monotone as his voice has changed.

Posted by Adam | July 23, 2008 7:55 AM

I'm really psyched for this! I got my tickets to prospect park! So happy Dylan is still touring! Dylan is number one! Better than Jacob, hehe...

Posted by Anonymous | July 23, 2008 9:21 AM

His live peak was 66? I love that period too, but you cannot count out the rolling thunder tour! And Desire was top as well!

Posted by Anonymous | July 23, 2008 9:24 AM

I saw Dylan in a pretty small venue (the Troc in Philly) during the Time Out of Mind tour and it was probably the best show I've ever seen. I haven't seen him since, but I am going to the Asbury Park show.

Posted by Anonymous | July 23, 2008 10:15 AM

I saw Dylan few years back and loved the show. Whenever possible I watch his show.

Posted by Sam Vander | August 9, 2008 2:06 PM

Islam is a religion of peace

Posted by منتديات | February 23, 2011 12:52 PM