Posted in music on July 30, 2008

Gibby Haynes & Geneis P-Orridge DJing @ Market Hotel (more by Lori Baily)
Gibby Haynes and Genesis

I'm not at a computer where I can upload any pictures right now, so this post will be limited, but I just thought I'd say something about the Butthole Surfers show that ended less than an hour ago here at Webster Hall in NYC (July 29, 2008).

After playing for almost an hour and a half, Gibby Haynes got mad at the sound guy who was on the side of the stage - something about not turning up the monitors. I don't know his name, but the sound guy was one of the Bowery Presents regulars. Gibby walked over and punched him and/or threw a bottle at him. Next thing you know security escorts Gibby off the stage mid-song. Nobody really knew what was going on. The band continued to play for at least one more song, and then left in a proper manner with lots of applause and high fives to the front row. Everyone started going crazy (in a good and drunken way), demanding an encore. It's not often you hear the crowd actually scream for a band to come back. We're all so spoiled. We just assume they always will. Of course there was the confusion about the way Gibby made his exit, and that was probably why people were chanting "Gibby" even louder and longer than usual.

The only people who came back to the stage though, were big security guards, and the occasional School of Rock kid to clean up some gear. Then all of a sudden Genesis P-Orridge saunters on stage and strangely had people shouting louder, but was also telling people to be silent. Security then pulled Genesis off the stage and more and more security filled it up. Finally the video guy came back to grab his laptop and turn off the projections (which by the way had still been running along with background music that whole time). The lights were also still off. I was close to the video guy and he was one who told me the show was over because Gibby got arrested. I guess he won't be DJing at the afterparty.

update: some in the comments say he wasn't actually arrested, just kicked out.

Lots of cups were hurled at the stage. One security guard manhandled a kid who jumped on stage to get a selist during the commotion. Otherwise, a riot was avoided and everyone (including lots of very drunk people) (especially the guy from Texas) soon exited pretty orderly and peacefully. Awesome show (I hope the sound guy is okay and Gibby doesn't spend too much time in jail).

look back to your posts about Webster Hall, specifically Animal Collective and Menomena shows last year. Both times bands were apologizing for the bad sound at those shows. I wasnt at this show so dont know if this was an issue or not as far as this sound guy or if it was the same guy. If you remember with Menomena last year, the singer pleaded repeatedly for someone to do something to fix the sound, and they did absolutely nothing.

Bottom line is, even though Gibby probably should not have punched the guy, but you know what, sound guy? you had it coming. Maybe you won't ruin any more shows in the future.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 12:51 AM

The sound guy at Webster Hall isn't even remotely good.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 12:56 AM

I didn't see Gibby punch anybody. And Genesis tried to calm everyone down for a reasonable silence. The show was great, awesome - but it ended with an angry audience who had to deal with a stupendously ludicrous security who were awful to everyone. I think maybe this one guy body surfing the whole set may have landed in the monitors one too many times. And then it looked to me like Gibby had a couple of words with the sound guys about his monitors but like I said I saw no punches. I don't think he was arrested either I think he was just escorted out. Cheers.

Posted by Blue | July 30, 2008 12:58 AM

The sound was pretty mediocre. The band was great, but the mic's kept feedbacking in the songs before the incident. During the band before the Buttholes, a female singer came up and tried singing into 3 different mics for nearly the entire song to no avail. Boo to bowery.

Posted by SmileyChewtrain | July 30, 2008 12:59 AM

I thought the sound was okay where I was standing.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 1:01 AM

what time did daft punk punch the sound guy?

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 1:02 AM

"what time did daft punk punch the sound guy?"

old joke much?

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 1:09 AM

What got Gibby hauled away was the beer bottle he threw at the sound guy. The punch happened a few minutes earlier.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 1:12 AM

Batman will save Gibby... Gibby was GREAT in The Dark Night.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 1:15 AM

SATAN! SATAN! SATAN!

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 1:17 AM

I was right in front of the stage and I saw no beer bottle thrown and no punch. Sorry. Webster Hall will never see me again.

Posted by Blue | July 30, 2008 1:32 AM

Though it won't win any "Cool" points, the Nokia Theater has GREAT sound.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 1:32 AM

I like Webster Hall now that I've been to Terminal 5.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 1:34 AM

I didn't see security pull Gen off the stage.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 1:52 AM

Gibby did indeed throw a beer bottle at the sound guy. i don't know if it hit him.
he was giving cues to the guy to turn up his monitor, for a good minute, when that didn't happen he gave the guy the finger. during a guitar solo he went over and yelled at him, walked back to the mic smiling, and his monitor started feeding back (a sign that he was getting all the volume possible, plus some). i think he gave the guy the finger again and the dude gave him one back so he picked up his beer bottle and hurled it. i couldn't see a punch but there was a lot of people scuffling around in that corner after that.
it'll all be on youtube tomorrow anyway.
fantastic end to a great show. i didn't mind that it ended early, i thought seeing that was worth my ticket. they rocked, hard.
overall i felt the sound was unimpressive. vocals were too low and everyone else sounded muddy. i couldn't hear gibby speaking plainly to the audience between songs, when nothing else was happening. it may or may not be due to an incompetent sound guy. that room must be a nightmare to work with.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 2:30 AM

"Gibby did indeed throw a beer bottle at the sound guy"

I updated the post from "punched him" to "punched him and/or threw a bottle at him"

"I didn't see security pull Gen off the stage."

female security guard:

more later.

Posted by brooklynvegan | July 30, 2008 2:38 AM

99% of headliners bring their own sound engineers. Including Animal Collective. The issue that night was that the animal collectives F.o.h (front of house engineer) was mixing too loud at low frequencies. Thus vibrating the stage. Lead singer got freaked out and cancelled encore. Felt bad following night fixed foh mix=great show encore. Sometimes shit happens not bowery presents fault. Wasn't at the show tonight but im just sayin....most engineers work really hard....

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 2:42 AM

i think the real headline here is that butthole surfers are still playing shows and that people are attending them.

keep the dream alive.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 2:50 AM

I was at the show tonight and it wasn't about the sound at the show, if it sounded good, it wouldn't be a buttholes show- gibby was pissed about the monitors and threw his beer when the monitor guy would not give him more- probably because there was not more to give- regardless, the show sounded as good as a relatively sober buttholes surfers show could sound. And at the end of the day, they walked away proving they are still the BUTTHOLE SURFERS. God Love It.

Posted by bryjax | July 30, 2008 2:50 AM

Webster Hall has some of the worst fucking sound there is. But I don't get Gibby getting all pissed off about it, their sludge was sounding really good for sounding bad, if that makes any sense. It was a great show.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 3:09 AM

The sound sucked, wasn't loud enough and the show was mediocre at best. Definitely wasn't the I-Beam south.

Posted by TWB | July 30, 2008 4:10 AM

who's the idiot who wrote this?

1. show went for 70 min, not hour amd half
2. gibby didn't punch nobody, threw a bottle
3. there was not even one cop there,
just security personality
4. he was not arrested
5. he dj the after party
6. the PA sound was horrible
7. most important: gibby was removed from the stage to the request of THE BAND AND ITS MANAGER!!
8. a riot? americans cannot riot, they live in fear from autority. in amsterdam webster hall
would've gone on fire tonight.
here they think they are big rebels by yelling
"fuck webster hall", like they won't be there next week for another show.

Posted by danidin | July 30, 2008 4:39 AM

"a riot? americans cannot riot, they live in fear from autority."

sad but true...

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 6:27 AM

it's gotta be tough to mix monitors for someone with as much hearing loss as Gibby Haynes.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 6:36 AM

Gibby wasn't arrested. He was just thrown out.
Some friends saw him after.

He did through a bottle at the monitor guy. He may have punched him before that. I saw him shove him.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 7:13 AM

did the "drunk guy from texas" have "mister cat piss" tattooed across his chest?

Posted by drex | July 30, 2008 8:11 AM

I "live in fear from autority" because I have no ideal what autority is. Is it a new cancer or a new George Bush law?

Posted by Hooked on Phonics works for me! | July 30, 2008 8:23 AM

Surprised no one's made an "I'd hit it" joke yet.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 9:27 AM

it's totally the case that the sound crew at webster blows big.

they ruined that animal collective show. what a mess that was.

maybe it's the equipment? I don't understand how you can repeatedly not get the sound right. Especially when you do gigs with the same sound system every fucking night.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 9:34 AM

what time did daft punk pooooooooooooo

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 9:37 AM

Gibby getting thrown out was a nice conclusion! I was standing near Tooter Pinkus and could barely hear the guitar at times--gibby's vocals were too low in the mix. I think the problem is more the aocustics of the hall and the soundsystem...Even during breaks where CDs were played thru the system, the EQ was super muddy and lacking any hi-range punch or brightness. Still, it was passable, and for what the 'Surfers are doing, it was fine.

It seemed that there were an exceptionally large number of fat, bald, sweaty, smelly 45-year old retards on acid in the crowd! It smelled like someone died in there. I was a afraid I would get a skin rash.

Also, those Paul green kids were skilled but very annoying. Even though I liked the idea of clean cut overachievering kids being corrupted by Gibby, it was kinda lame that they kept having them come on stage to play. They were so gawky! Something about practicing King Crimson songs for 40 hours a week makes it easy to totally miss the point about the Butthole Surfers and their awesomely spontaneous and retardo stylings!

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 9:38 AM

breeders had awesome sound at webster hall last month. everything crisp and clear. is that because they brought some sound mixing genius w/ them? i also remember at least one sonic youth show at WH that had excellent sound. so whatever it is, it's not impossible to get great sound there.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 9:43 AM

I remember great sound for several shows at Webster Hall as well. quiet, Joanna Newsome, less but still quiet beth orton, and not at all quiet Wolf Parade.

Posted by miguel | July 30, 2008 9:49 AM

4:39am is my hero

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 9:50 AM

the sound at webster hall fluctuates between better than you would expect for a room with such terrible acoustics to absolutely horrendous. despite occasionally having decent sound, the venue is horrible. i was not at the butthole surfers show last night, despite the fact that they are one of my favorite bands, because i hate webster hall enough that i would not patronize that establishment for anything short of a beatles reunion.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 9:55 AM

If we remember, Webster Hall used to be the Ritz. I think zillions of people can attest to some of the best sound and some of the best nights of their lives there. Why were they able to get the sound right back then but not now? I was very nonplussed by the sound last night, regardless of where I was in the venue.

I've really enjoyed reading these comments. It gives me faith that when I'm at a show I'm surrounded by intelligent funny observent people (plus some annoying smelly guys not wearing shirts).

Posted by Adair | July 30, 2008 9:56 AM

lol at webster hall being the ritz. lol at someone saying 'the ritz' in general. setlist lurking kid deserved to be manhandled. grabbing for setlists is so fucking lame.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 10:05 AM

I was at plenty of ritz shows in the 80's. I don't think it was that the sound was better or even o.k., it's that people gave less of a shit back then and didn't have message board forums to to post on and complain about it. It's just not the same when a letter is published in a zine complaining about the sound at a show that took place 8 months ago.

Posted by anonymous | July 30, 2008 10:11 AM

"americans cannot riot..."

April 29, 1992.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 10:16 AM

Danidin, why was that guy who wrote that an idiot? He was actually speaking the truth. GIbby was not arrested and i know this cause I bought him a drink at Continental a little after the show. He was hanging with people there for a while and then he went to spin at Beauty Bar. The show was great and the sound was not that bad. Well not T5 bad for sure. And why is it funny saying Webster Hall used to be the Ritz? It happens to be true as well. Paul Leary is a fucking monster still. That guy was lighting it up all night.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 10:17 AM

the sound depends on the operator. A skilled engineer will get a good sound in an acoustically challenging room. The sound system at Webster is completely sufficient. Also, the monitor mix is independent of the sound in the house as they are controlled by separate mixers. If the sound in the house was bad then that's the fault of the front of house engineer. Gibby Haynes had a problem with the monitor engineer because of the sound coming out of his monitors. A band like that should at least carry a front of house engineer if not both monitors and FOH. Relying on house sound techs is hit or miss. Having said all that, I think it's funny as hell that they got in a fight. I think that should happen more often. Iggy Pop used to do it all the time. He'd hurl mic stands at the monitor guy. It makes for an entertaining spectacle. It's sad to say that at the club level, there's a LOT of incompetence when it comes to sound engineers. Most of the good engineers are on the road where the money is. Clubs pay poorly, don't offer insurance and even quality engineers are required to break their backs loading trucks because venues don't want to pay for laborers to do the loading. In other words there's no incentive for good sound techs to work in clubs. There are many good engineers that work in clubs, it's just that there are also many bad ones. It's a crap shoot. Bring your own if you can afford it.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 10:20 AM

Danidin 4:39 sorry i read your comment wrong. You were calling the person writing the thread an idiot. You were actually correct. Man i should not have done all those drugs last night. Speaking of which I miss the drugged out Butthole Surfers even though they were great last night.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 10:25 AM

"americans cannot riot..."

TSP
August 6–August 7, 1988

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 10:29 AM

i can assure you than anywhere that the words 'drunk texan' are used, things will fall apart. i hope he did have 'mister cat piss' tattooed on his chest, cause that means Chuck finally made parole.

Posted by a fellow texan | July 30, 2008 10:34 AM

I was at the show by the side of the stage when this happened and I can assure you the person doing most of the fighting was WILL BERMAN.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 10:41 AM

"One security guard manhandled a kid who jumped on stage to get a selist during the commotion."

That is hilarious. I was right next to that guy warning him that the giant security guard would fuck him up if he ran on stage. I left before the manhandling, but that had to be him.

Posted by Sundermania | July 30, 2008 10:44 AM

TERRIBLE SHOW!!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 10:48 AM

This sucked compared to Sigur Ros.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 10:53 AM

how about this, WHITE americans can't riot

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 10:55 AM

doesn't matter how good your engineer/sound system is if the band's stage volume is too loud

WHAT DO YOU MEAN I CAN'T CRANK MY ORANGE TO 11??????

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 10:56 AM

^ I thought anytime the word "texan" gets used the "drunk" part is assumed.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 10:57 AM

doesn't matter how good your engineer/sound system if WILL BERMAN plays drums for your band

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 10:58 AM

The police report for the incident was just released and apparently there was one arrest made by sergeant WILL BERMAN.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 11:01 AM

bowery presents puts zero care into hiring their people, be it security or sound.

for all the focus they put on booking, you'd think they'd spend a minute thinking about the crowd and the performer experience going into their events.

the MHOW has obnoxious security (who seem to run to show) too.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 11:09 AM

After standing in the back and wondering why the sound was so lame, I made my way to the front to find that when I stood next to the PA stacks on the sides of the stage, they were not even on. I personally think the the sound system was busted but they put the show on anyway. I've attended many shows there over the years there and was surprised to be able to hear conversations around me. The band were great and Webster Hall were totally at fault for having a substandard system last night. Totally unfair. It was like going to the movies and the cinema only had a 2 foot screen to project on.

Posted by Morrison | July 30, 2008 11:12 AM

The sound was horrible.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 11:17 AM

Man, that was the best show I ever went to that I have no memory of whatsoever.

Posted by What's it to ya? | July 30, 2008 11:22 AM

bowery presents / webster hall = cheap bastards who spend more money on goons than on sound

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 11:23 AM

10:11

they also weren't charging $30+ for tickets or $7+ for drinks back in the old days. if you gouge your customers, they expect a reasonable product.

to overcharge and then have head scratchingly shitty sound and sub-primate level security, that's not going to fly when you're making that kind of cash off your crowd.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 11:27 AM

the sound for the audience was good enough to keep going, but i can understand gibby's issues if he has no monitors. it sucks that it pissed gibby off enough to beat the sound guy..

i got my money's worth on what i saw and bought the new live CD they were selling to catch up on what i ended up missing.

most BS shows i've seen have been short festival ones anyway, so the 70min they did play was awesome.

oh well, its better to regret something you have done than something you haven't. thanks Satan! (gibby)

Posted by sawgrass | July 30, 2008 11:29 AM

totally bullshit show, but not because of the band

sounded awful and the bouncers manhandled everybody

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 11:30 AM

Sound men and monitor engineers can be the biggest cunts on the face of the earth. They use their "control" as an asset. Anyone who uses "Aja" over and over again to test the front of house speakers night after night is a prick. (Good album, tho.) They're often failed, jealous musicians. Fuck 'em. Hey hee pee: Suck my pee pee.

Posted by Craig | July 30, 2008 11:31 AM

the sound guys might also have been fucks, but the way bigger problem was that the sound system wasn't working and the promoters didn't do anything about it.

rent a replacement system for the night you fucks! you make buckets of money!

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 11:33 AM

"Though it won't win any "Cool" points, the Nokia Theater has GREAT sound.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 1:32 AM"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

yeah fuckin' right

Posted by FRX | July 30, 2008 11:33 AM

jerkoffs let the show go on with a busted soundsystem.

you guys should have rioted, but you're too big of pussies.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 11:34 AM

sawgrass,

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 11:40 AM

security has been overstepping their bounds this summer all over the place.

first they forcibly take Mark Mothersbaugh's mike out of his hand (in the guise of Booji Boy) at McCarren Pool.

then they grab Gibby Haynes AND Genesis P. Orridge at Webster.

time to start swarming and breaking bottles on the back of security guards' heads again. they've forgotten who they work for.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 11:41 AM

security guys used to be much more mellow in the past, now they patrol the hall telling people to put their cell phones and cameras away because you want to snap a shot? big tall guy threatened to take my camera back in april, I havent been back to MHOW since. THey won't see my money if I can avoid it.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 11:48 AM

Don't forget John Lydon getting away with having his security guards beat up the guys from lesser known bands last week.

You don't HAVE to be a pasivist. You can defend yourselves, sometimes even proactively! If someone is abusing their authority and bullying you with their size or their uniform or their weapon, kick some ass! Strength in numbers.

It's an idea that oughta come back in fashion.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 11:49 AM

"Man, that was the best show I ever went to that I have no memory of whatsoever."

Congratulations, What's it to ya?, you've won the showcase showdown.

Way to tell the truth.

Posted by Bob Barker | July 30, 2008 11:50 AM

Security was way over the line at this show. Sometimes I do wish the 80s punks would come back and lay down the law again.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 11:51 AM

I wonder if Bowery presents / Webster hall will be pulling youtubes of this claiming copyright.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 11:53 AM

as a touring sound person who has had to mix at webster hall several times, i can truly attest to a decent sound system, (the quality is actually above average than a lot of american mid size venues). HOWEVER, the culprit is not usually the system or sound people, but the fact that sound people at webster hall are forced to mix at a very low decibel to be in accordance with noise regulations. THATS why you can hear your neighbors talking, more sound from the stage than front of house, lack of clarity, etc. having a band with loud stage volume only makes matters worse.
and while sound people often reinforce a negative stereotype of the bitter non-successful musician, not all are bad...give the person behind the board a break.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 11:55 AM

I hope someone sues the fuck out of Bowery Presents for this bullshit.

I saw people pushed and shoved by security. it was as bad as that video of the cop pushing the bike rider over on Times Square.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 11:56 AM

11:55

maybe Bowery shouldn't be throwing shows at Webster then?

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 12:00 PM

someone should have busted some bouncer heads open at this show.

would have been 100% deserved

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 12:01 PM

well I can second that guy who mentioned Sonic Youth last year, (or was it 2006?), that sounded good and no plug needed, but both Animal Collective and Menomena last year were very loud, def plug necessary shows.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 12:04 PM

can we somehow blame this on vice and their events?

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 12:05 PM

band was great, but nonetheless

LAME SHOW

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 12:08 PM

hopefully this guy has some footage that he's holding back. here is a clip before the riot:

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 12:09 PM

Webster is terrible and hated, Terminal 5 is terrible and hated, no one gos to MHOW.

looks like Bowery Present's expansion plans ain't going so good.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 12:13 PM

but WILL BERMAN's plans are doing EXCELLENT

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 12:15 PM

I WANT MY MONEY BACK! SHOW SUCKED!!!

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 12:17 PM

can we get some new recurring injokes in here please?

the new batch is WEAK

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 12:17 PM

someone should do something about the nasty, evil doorguys at bowery ballroom.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 12:18 PM

interestingly enough, Bowery Ballroom itself has decent enough security and staff.

it's all their other places that hire disgruntled authoritarian bitch asses.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 12:20 PM

this WILL BERMAN shit is lame

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 12:21 PM

The MHOW security guards are some of the dumbest fucking assholes I have yet encountered.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 12:22 PM

going to Webster Hall always blows.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 12:23 PM

so good to see them back with the 1980s lineup - that music's still so ahead of its time (unlike the 1990s stuff that was dated when it dropped). also wish i could've heard 'em better. they need a new soundman. they couldn't have planned this ending. i heard the set was an hour and a half on this tour, it ended really awkwardly, and they could've thought of something a little smoother and more dramatic if they wanted to. this was more of with a whimper than a bang kind of thing which isn't their style. it was just unfortunate gibby gt ejected 'cause it looked like they were hitting a high point. also, it took him forever to show up at his dj gig but the night train dude did a good job of holding it down until he got there and gibby was't bad either and played weird funky music.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 12:41 PM

I love the sound at Webster! MHOW sucks ass.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 12:56 PM

i bootleged the show

Posted by mr bootleg | July 30, 2008 1:02 PM

"sawgrass,
what live cd? I did not see any new live cd they were selling. more info please and for fuck's sake put that online somewhere"

A live recording of a recent London show ... I think it was the July 26 show from The Forum ...

And I did see someone with a stereo mic tree recording the show last night. I hope that surfaces.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 1:12 PM

nobody loves the sound at Webster hall. it's boomy when it's loud enough and barely audible otherwise.

plus the security guards are unsupervised thugs

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 1:13 PM

thanks Bowery Presents for turning every midsized NYC show into an exercise in high strung staff and pushy bouncer assholes

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 1:24 PM

Mercury Lounge right now is the only decent bowery venue imo, and thats because theres no asshole bouncers once you get inside.

Opposite of that crap are places like Knitting Factory and Union Pool, no bouncers no hassles.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 1:34 PM

Are you kidding? Knitting Factory has a crew of meathead bouncers, sometimes decent and sometimes total pricks.

Union Pool usually has one bouncer, who's usually got an attitude. But in addition to that, the clientele of that bar are a bunch of aggro meatheads so they might as well have big burly dumbshit bouncers. It's a similar experience in the end.

That said, Webster definitely has the worst dudes working for it of any venue in town.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 1:43 PM

Hey guys it's me Gibby. I'm out of jail and touring with scissor shock. Check it out.

Posted by Gibby Haynes | July 30, 2008 1:49 PM

audience should have torn that place apart

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 1:55 PM

i'm boycotting webster hall.
i've been to far too many shows there that were over priced, had awful sound, started way early just so they could open the doors to allow their dance crowd in at 10 (one such show i wound up missing the band i wanted to see because they started playing before i even got out of work), and this is the final straw...

Posted by obrutal | July 30, 2008 2:02 PM

you should boycott Bowery Presents too, it's at least as much their fault as the venue's

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 2:05 PM

I hope the sound guy isn't ok

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 2:21 PM

Gibby deserves an Oscar for The Dark Night.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 2:24 PM

who's BILL WERMAN?

Posted by anonymous | July 30, 2008 2:25 PM

my butthole hurts

Posted by 2B | July 30, 2008 2:44 PM

I don't think the sound was bad... at least it was the end of the show pretty much when Gibby got booted, would've sucked major arse if it was the beginning or middle or whatever... Yes I got the London Show Double cd that they were selling there... sounds really sweet, Soundboard recording.. Also got a psychic powerless t-shirt, a bit overpriced but I love The Butthole Surfers and had to have it! Just wish I would've remembered to load the London double cd onto my ipod for work today! The staff there was actually very friendly in my opinion, I mean no one gave me any shit and they went out of there way to be nice it seemed to me. However, there is NO excuse for manhandling a kid for wanting a setlist, thats just lame and goonie and meatheaded bullshit, and being a dick to Genesis, I mean the guy has been through enough shit in his life already... One thing I can't understand is why Gibby shoved that chick offstage that was dancing?? I mean who gives a shit, I thought it was kinda cool what she was doing... I guess ya can't get near Mr. Hollywood Haynes though huh? Whatever, this show ruled and I LOVE The Butthole Surfers.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 2:46 PM

webster hall is a horrible place for shows. the surfers' loud music might camouflage this, but when i saw JAMC a year or so ago, it was very apparent.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 2:50 PM

I call bullshit on post 2:46. clearly a bowery presents mole posting face saving phoniness.

the sound was bullshit and the staff were fucks all around. plainly true.

and anyone who's ever spent ten seconds talking or working with Gibby Haynes knows he's no "hollywood" primadonna.

Nice try trying to tar the performer to take the heat off of your jackass employees and their borderline criminal behavior.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 2:53 PM

Hey 2:53 dumbass, I think the post clearly shows that I'm not a mole, you clearly have your head shoved up your ass. Get out there and talk to people and you'll know the deal. I talked to a fellow fan last night who admitted that Gibby can be a moody motherfucker, several fans have said that. I don't care though, I still love Gibby and love the band. I'm simply stating the truth about the staff being nice to "me" I don't know what happened with you or how you acted fuck-tard....

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 3:55 PM

The sound was simply awful! As is the sound with all shows at this venue.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 4:10 PM

First off, neither this article nor any of the follow-up comments that I've read make a clear distinction between the monitor engineer and the FOH engineer. The MONITOR engineer was the guy who got hit. The sound on stage is completely different from the sound out front, so comments about it sounding good from where you were standing, etc, are meaningless. The only people who know what it sounds like on stage are the people who were on stage. So there's no telling what it sounded like. I can tell you from experience that the Midas XL250 and all Clair-brothers wedge system at Webster Hall is kickass. I can also tell you from personal experience that most veteran loud-music musicians have a very difficult time hearing themselves, not because of equipment, monitor engineer, etc, but because they're half deaf from years of amplitude abuse. So there's just as much possibility that Gibby is half deaf as there is the sound being bad. That is, don't assume the sound engineer is to blame just because you think Gibby is cool. Furthermore, it doesn't matter one way or the other. The issue is one of unwarranted violence. Violence is only warranted in self-defense. This maxim should apply to famous musicians as well as Brooklyn vegans. That being said, anyone who advocates Gibby's violence for the alleged high crime of bad sound is morally inept.

Posted by Austin Duggan | July 30, 2008 4:33 PM

Hey Austin,

Yawn, yawn, yawn! Get off your categorical imperative moral cloud and come back and join us here on planet earth will ya? Webster Hall sucks from all angles and this is the Butthole Surfers we are talking about. They have the right to be a little evil by definition.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 4:44 PM

Dude, if you're looking for intelligent and informed discussion, the comments sections on this blog are about the last place you should look. Not to mention the fact that the initial post was just flat-out wrong with most of what it originally reported.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 4:46 PM

Ahhhh this show sounded like a trainwreck. Glad i decided to skip this show and drive with some friends to the show 2 days ago in New Hampshire at Stone Castle. Now that was pretty amazing. 200 or so people cramped into this tiny place. Completely insane.

Posted by A Manhattan Not Brooklyn Asshole | July 30, 2008 4:49 PM

Anyone have a setlist of last nights BHS show at webster hall?

Posted by Dan | July 30, 2008 5:44 PM

set list

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 6:04 PM

2:46 / 3:55 you CLEARLY couldn't work for Bowery - you agree really really really mildly that the obviously terrible, violent things that your company's employees did weren't awesome, before going on to make false accusations and try to shift the focus to the band.

How could anyone ever accuse you of working for Bowery?? You covered your bases! It's an outrage!

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 6:06 PM

Jimi
Cartoon Song
X-Ray
The Shah Sleeps in Lee Harvey's Grave

from http://www.jasonramke.com/bhs/

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 6:19 PM

I was tripping sky high on acid during this whole thing. I had NO IDEA what was going on and strangely I was not pissed when they arrested the singer of my favorite band of all time. I was really giddy and didn't really know where I was just watching the madness unfold. Then suddenly I realised my god: I'm tripping on acid at a Butthole Surfers concert and Gibby just got arrested in front of me.

Posted by Sponge-O Man | July 30, 2008 6:21 PM

sound guys ought to get hit with bottles more often.

maybe that would do something about the big fucking attitude problem that infects their whole industry.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 6:25 PM

the problem at this show wasn't one jerky soundguy or one aggro lead singer, it was a shitty sounding club with overbearing security.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 6:40 PM

"People, people - we're all missing the main point: DJ Trachiotomy is the single worst band ever wrought upon this earth. What fucking raffle did they win to occupy that slot?

FUCK THEM FOREVER!!!!!"

How right you are, but please don't remind me of that 1/2 hour or so of my life that I can never have back.

Posted by Jonny Leather | July 30, 2008 6:54 PM

jerky?

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 6:56 PM

All props to the School Of Rock kids, but stay off the fucking stage when the Surfers are at work.

That said, the sound mix sucked and the engineer deserved whatever Gibby did to him.

Posted by dangdangdangalonglinglong | July 30, 2008 7:13 PM

The problem at this show was the ASSHOLE SECURITY. A BIG FUCK YOU TO THE DICKLESS SECURITY AT WEBSTER HALL!! SERIOUSLY! You ruined one of the greatest concerts EVER to come to NYC all because Gibby picked up ( did not throw ) a beer bottle. I seriously can guarentee if Kanye West or Nas had punched a guy right in his face, you wouldn't have done shit. But you don't give a fuck about the band so who cares right? Instead I watched my favorite band of all time get their concert cut short cause you wanted to act like macho men and fuck with Gibby. Fuck YOU!!

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 7:24 PM

i wonder what songs did we MISS cause of the early ending.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 7:25 PM

PEPPER is there only good song

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 8:04 PM

Batman should have swept in and saved Gibby from the bouncers. Gibby played a great role as the police commissioner in The Dark Night.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 8:25 PM

this guy who keeps posting doesn't know the difference between "there" and "their"

I wouldn't usually nitpick your grammar / spelling but you've made the same mistake like 4 times in just this thread. it's grating to read.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 8:36 PM

hey 2:30 do you like me?
circle yes no

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2008 10:21 PM

how come the sound on the youtube video is good?

Posted by youtube | July 30, 2008 11:14 PM

Posted by ritz | July 30, 2008 11:17 PM

I was just getting to ready to type 'over 100 responses, and none of you cunts can even post a setlist', and then Anon 6:19 finally does something constructive. This fan 4,500 miles away from NYC who would have killed a puppy to see this show thanks you.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2008 3:36 AM

I don't know why everyone is bitching about the sound... at least from where I was standing it was quite good... I mean I've been to other shows with sound A LOT worse than that.. oh wait I might not score any cool points for that statement hahaha.... Great show! I hope they do the reunion tour next year like Gibby said.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2008 9:24 AM

it's like clockwork.

the next morning after a thread goes up slamming a major fuckup by a big promotion company, around 9:30am, after the higher ups have read the comments, then you get the bs corporate face saving "I was there" comments whereby some "anonymous stranger" (ie Bowery Presents employee) posts just to say "I thought it was great" and "things can get a LOT worse" and don't forget the old chestnut, "I might not score any cool points, but..."

get ready for the follow up posts where we all get called whining whiners who don't know how lucky we are to bask in the sunlight that shines out of Bowery Presents' asshole.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2008 9:36 AM

ok wait a minute, the kid that got manhandled to get the setlist that was actually BV himself? LOL thats a story to tell your grandkids.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2008 10:00 AM

I love all these people on here who are accusing you of being corporate a-hole "saving face." So stupid... It's like arguing with a kid who doesn't know anything.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2008 3:19 PM

3:19 your post barely qualifies as a cogent statement

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2008 3:27 PM

"i saw the buttholes and gwar at the ritz in '88. the ritz stagehands were wearing rubber gloves because they were afraid of getting aids from the buttholes equipment. there was also a naked woman dancing on stage."

im pretty sure the stagehands with gloves were more worried about the fake blood and gwarcum..not the surfers 'dirty' equipment.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2008 3:36 PM

Bowery Presents has like 20 employees for the whole company (not counting bartenders and security) and I can assure you that they are far too busy to engage in the stupid discussions that go on here.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2008 3:54 PM

3:27 Believe what you want fucknut, it's got nothing to do with reality... believe me or don't.. whatever... get a life.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2008 4:19 PM

this is what's so great about free press/blogs, like some other guy said if you didnt like something in the old days maybe you could get your shit printed in a fanzine 6 months, later 200 people would find out about it. now you can get that same info out so by next day 20 thousand people know about it.

hurray the blog revolution, free flow of information. this is the type of stuff that makes Bowery Presents sweat...

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2008 4:28 PM

^--- oh yeah... this is great.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2008 4:42 PM

I love that Bowery Presents reacts to posts accusing them of posting here... by angrily posting here!

thanks 3:54, for losing your cool! You've proven the opposite of the point you thought you were making.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2008 4:46 PM

^^ what's the matter? BP wouldn't hire you or something?

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2008 5:04 PM

hardly, but those fuckers should learn to either weather some criticism or else post in the open as themselves rather than as made up regular anonymous showgoer personas.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2008 5:06 PM

as a graphic designer, i really need to object as to what went on at this show

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2008 10:29 PM

"How come the sound on the YouTube video is good"

Are we talking about the same YouTube video? The one that sounds like it's recorded in a cardboard box? The one that has almost no guitar on it?

There are more videos up, actually, and the sound quality is dreadful on all of them.

Posted by Tom Swirly | August 1, 2008 7:47 PM

I was told that he was arrested, nobody really knew what was going on at the time so I went with it. Sorry for the confusion.

Posted by the video guy | August 1, 2008 10:04 PM

my dealer got busted. i need some weed.

Posted by weed | August 1, 2008 11:52 PM

I was that "drunk texan" -Riot is that what NY calls riots these days...oh ya you cant even drink a 40 in the park any more, what the fuck...now thats something to riot about... the old days of new your are over? the Strong Island Cowboy gone dam yankee. yee haw ...oh and in the big easy you can still drink and thats what i am doing. cheers

Posted by doug | August 4, 2008 4:44 PM

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2008 11:35 PM

hahahahahaha

Posted by Anonymous | August 30, 2009 11:38 AM

keep the dream alive.

Posted by sdgeg | August 30, 2009 10:22 PM

The information in the post is nicely written, I always love to read this kind of stuff. The quality of content is really appreciable. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us.

Posted by Gucci Eyeglasses | November 23, 2009 5:45 PM

how about this, WHITE americans can't riot

Posted by buy testosterone | December 6, 2009 6:31 AM

The show was a disaster don't you think?

Posted by Healthy Body | December 8, 2009 7:44 PM

Posted by Introduction To Criminal Justice | December 25, 2009 3:24 PM

I admire what you have done here. It is good to see you verbalise from the heart and your clarity on this important subject can be easily observed. Tremendous post and will look forward to your future update.

Posted by jim garry | January 11, 2010 4:38 AM

The problem in this show was not a sudden or a singer soundguy agricultural, sound was shit club with the dominant security.

Posted by Road Trip | February 6, 2010 3:01 PM

no, but those damn long time to learn to some criticism, or has used the opening as themselves and not as regular showgoer made anonymous.

Posted by IRA Annuity | February 16, 2010 7:41 AM

When one reads any strongly individual piece of writing, one has the impression of seeing a face somewhere behind the page tanning beds

Posted by tanning beds | February 17, 2010 1:45 PM

Good for them!

Posted by buy essay | February 25, 2010 3:35 AM

Posted by ways to fall asleep | February 28, 2010 4:29 PM

When one reads any strongly individual piece of writing, one has the impression of seeing a face somewhere behind the page of tanning beds

Posted by SEXLEKSAKER | March 8, 2010 8:54 AM

Thanks for sharing this information.

Posted by logo design | March 19, 2010 10:35 AM

Keep up the good work.

Posted by stationery logo design | March 19, 2010 10:36 AM

I really appreciate this.

Posted by brochure logo design | March 19, 2010 10:37 AM

An hour and a half, Gibby Haynes got mad at the sound guy who was on the side of the stage - something about not turning up the monitors.

Posted by website logo design | March 19, 2010 10:38 AM

One has the impression of seeing a face somewhere behind the page of tanning beds

Posted by custom logos | March 19, 2010 10:39 AM

Hi,
This is inspiring; I am very pleased by this post. Nice info at this post thanks!!! I really like it.

Posted by buy essay | April 2, 2010 11:28 AM

WHITE americans can't riot is great

Posted by Discount | April 3, 2010 2:59 AM

I have been to one of there shows it was a riot lots of fun. The guy smashed his guitar crowd went nuts. Tears fell from the sky.

Posted by Car Transport Rates | June 13, 2010 12:06 AM

Posted by play free 3d games | July 21, 2010 2:31 PM

i've watched one of their show and i had a blast.

Posted by internal criticism | July 22, 2010 5:37 PM

Had a blast at this show. Need an update for there next one.

Posted by Car Transport | August 16, 2010 1:24 PM

Posted by grow taller | September 6, 2010 9:37 AM

Posted by how to grow taller 4 idiots | October 9, 2010 7:38 AM

Why do they put such bad and vulgar words *s!@3! for their title

Posted by blue ringed octopus | October 19, 2010 8:26 AM

See I notice that you constantly repeat that us on the left, myself to the extreme left, are foolish, not educated and do not see the truth.

Posted by recados para orkut | February 12, 2011 5:56 AM

Well the sound guy at Webster Hall isn't even remotely good......

Posted by cebu house and lot for sale | February 14, 2011 6:34 PM

Islam is a religion of peace

Posted by منتديات | February 23, 2011 12:54 PM

I've started a climate change project called proxEarth.org. Many people have blogs, websites, and use social software sites (social networking, social bookmarking, photo and video sharing, etc.). Some standards for tags and text on blogs, websites, and social software sites could turn the whole global Internet into a kind of Web 2.0 participation platform for climate change. I’m suggesting a few simple standards for tags and text that leverage processes of the sustainable ProxThink growth model. To get this going, we need people to adopt and use these standards. The project could also use contributors, collaborators, partners, funders and sponsors. To find out more, see:

Posted by ankara oto kiralama | July 4, 2011 1:58 PM

I wouldn't think such think even exist. Great one

Posted by apotik online | August 2, 2012 7:29 PM

Heard that Gibby actually threw a sugar bottle, and therefore it was only a prop. Ha ha?

Posted by Yet2beNamed | August 28, 2013 10:58 PM

Had a blast at this show....

Posted by Peter | October 7, 2013 12:42 PM