Posted in metal | music | pictures on July 22, 2008

words by Black Bubblegum, photos by Lori Baily

true love
CC @ IP

Cavalera Conspiracy @ Irving Plaza = a lovefest? Seems far fetched, I know, but Sunday night (July 20, 2008) was definitely family night as NYC welcomed the Cavaleras for the last of their two night stand as brothers united, or as Roadrunner calls it, Cavalera Conspiracy. The band tore through a good portion of their new record Inflikted ("Sanctuary", "Inflikted", "Ultra Violent", among others) but also took care to play some of the old Sepultura classics ("Refuse/Resist", "Territory", "Innerself") before they left the stage at the one hour mark. Max Cavalera, even with his angry razor-shredded voice, couldn't hide his smiles on stage and even Igor Jr (Igor's son) got in on the action, playing drums for two songs before Dad came on to play the closer, "Roots Bloody Roots".

the Dillinger Escape Plan
CC @ IP

The Dillinger Escape Plan was, well, The Dillinger Escape Plan, an absolute picture-perfect example of controlled mayhem. They climbed speaker stacks to the top floor of Irving Plaza. They swung their guitars around by their straps like a lasso. They ran and jumped off of every imagineable surface. They played ridiculously technical jazz scales while thrashing around like madmen. They covered Van Halen's "Hot For Teacher"! They performed arguably one their best songs ("Sunshine The Werewolf") from the CENTER OF THE MOSH PIT. And most importantly, they didn't miss a single note. I have no idea how they do it.

More pictures below...

The Dillinger Escape Plan...

CC...

More tour dates HERE.

I was at the Saturday show and I know this may sound sacrilegious, but I think I preferred Sepultura proper (minus the two Cavaleras) when they came around last time.

The Cavalera Conspiracy turned all the old tunes into Medleys and zipped through everything rather dispassionately. "Sepultura" at least seemed to have more care with the old stuff. It was still amazing to see Max and Igor on stage together.

Posted by Anonymous | July 22, 2008 1:22 PM

wow. do you use flash on all your shots?

Posted by Anonymous | July 22, 2008 1:37 PM

this show was SO much fun. the bands and the audience seemed so happy.

yeah I used flash on all of these shots. well, except for the one of the bassist with the red wash. the stage had really strong backlighting most of the time and the floor of the club wasn't lit at all. I like flash.

Posted by lori | July 22, 2008 1:46 PM

Holy lord am I pissed I missed that show. DEP always manages to blow everyone else off stage.

Posted by John B. | July 22, 2008 2:42 PM

I was at the Saturday show and it was so great. Throwdown was alright. Dillinger Escape play was crazy good. The singer climbed the side of the balcony and hung upside down using his feet. And Cavalera Conspiracy killed it. I never sweated at a show as much as this night. Roots bloody roots was awesome. Fun show.

Posted by Star Child | July 22, 2008 2:43 PM

You know what I just noticed... is that a Radiohead tattoo on Ben Weinman's arm? (Second photo)

Posted by BBG | July 22, 2008 3:16 PM

DEP was insanely good on Saturday. So was Cavalera Conspiracy.

Posted by Anonymous | July 22, 2008 4:39 PM

Sunday was my 15th time seeing DEP. It would have been my 16th but i had no $$ and seeing Malkmus at Siren was free.

Greg said sunday was much more enthusiastic crowd. I'm not just saying it because they're pretty much my favorite band, but none of the other bands stood a chance! Especially Bury Your "FUCKIN" Dead (a joke for anyone who sat through that crap on sunday) and HatePanterabreed... I mean Throwdown. I can't watch other bands right after they play! It's a mistake for bands to tap them as openers.

theses are great pictures man, they're a challenging band to capture! lol

and yes.. that is a radiohead tatt under ben's arm!

Posted by A | July 22, 2008 6:52 PM

thanks A - I had to wrap my camera strap around my wrist or I would've lost it I was so sweaty! the bands were so much fun to shoot though, much more fun than your average indie rocker band.

Posted by Lori | July 22, 2008 11:06 PM