Posted in music | tour dates on July 15, 2008

Henry Rollins

To celebrate the end of the Bush era, Henry's hitting the road with a brand new election time talking tour. Tickets for the tour go on sale July 17 and July 18, with pre-sales starting on Monday, July 14 at 10 pal Shepard Fairey to design the poster for the tour and he kindly did so we will have them with us, they will be a limited edition. I will be on the road all of August and by the time I hit the road a.m. Fans who purchase tickets early will automatically be entered to win an autographed HENRY ROLLINS prize package.
Tour dates below...

Aug. 27 - Junction 2 - Cambridge, UK
Aug. 28 - Academy - Oxford, UK
Aug. 29 - The Assembly in Leamington Spa
Aug. 30 - Academy - Liverpool, IL
Aug. 31 - Stradbally Manor 'Electric Picnic' - Portlaoise, Ireland
Sept. 18 Ames, IA Stephens Auditorium
Sept. 19 Berkeley, CA Zellerbach Auditorium (Univ. of California/Berkeley)
Sept. 24 Nashville, TN Tennessee Performing Arts Center
Nov. 8 Boulder, CO Boulder Theater
Nov. 9 Aspen, CO Belly Up T

puke

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 11:21 AM

MY NECK IS HUGE

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 11:22 AM

This guys isn't even funny. Saw a broadcast from Tel-Aviv and half the people in the audience had a huge 'huh?!' look on their face half the time.

Sheeshhh, Henry. Get laid or come out of the closet already...

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 11:22 AM

Stick it to the man, Mr Muscles!....(*puke*)

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 11:24 AM

I enjoy Henry. He has some great moments in Don Letts' Punk: Attitude documentary that came out a few years ago.

Posted by Katie Camosy | July 15, 2008 11:26 AM

$31.50 - $50.00

hahaha...go fuck yourself Henry

Posted by butternuts | July 15, 2008 11:28 AM

God damn, I'd love to suck his cock.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 11:30 AM

Rocky Napoli, unlike many of the commenters here, has respect for the elders. Plus, Rocky Napoli once met Henry Rollins at the Black Cat in D.C. and he gave Rocky Napoli some fitness tips, which would not be a bad thing for some of the people in Williamsburg to pick up on.

Posted by Rocky Napoli | July 15, 2008 11:31 AM

hey I respect Henry, too, I just wouldn't pay 50 bucks to hear him bitch about the president for two hours.

Posted by butternuts | July 15, 2008 11:34 AM

Rollins is one of the good guys. He uses the money he makes doing spoken word to finance an independent publishing company that puts out stuff like Henry Miller and Noam Chomsky. Plus he has spent years organizing for the West Memphis 3. Direct your ire somewhere else.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 11:39 AM

Rocky Napoli needs a kick to the head.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 11:40 AM

'This guys isn't even funny'

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 11:41 AM

On his 1998 spoken word album Think Tank he declared: "If I was gay, there would be no closet. You would never see the closet I came out of. Why? Because I'd have burned it for kindling by the time I was twelve ... If I was gay, at this stage of the game — age 37, aging alternative icon — I'd be taking out ads."

Posted by themasses | July 15, 2008 11:44 AM

dude is gonna CAKE off that tour!! word iz bond

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 11:46 AM

i couldn't be less interested in this. and he is trying to be funny, calling it spoken word is a safety net in case he isn't funny (which he isn't).

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 11:49 AM

the difference is, people will pay to see Henry speak because he has something to say... anonymous message board commenters have to resort to blog message boards and an audience of nobody other than the 15 or so other commenters who only care about their own half-assed comments

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 11:56 AM

Rocky Napoli prays for the annonymous sinners.

Posted by Rocky Napoli | July 15, 2008 12:00 PM

I, for one, am interested in these fitness tips Rocky mentions

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 12:03 PM

he's amusing enough on TV. wouldn't pay $50, but might watch an HBO broadcast, if one materializes.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 12:09 PM

'ROID RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE!!!

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 12:20 PM

Hank here likes to hear himself talk about politics. You can listen for $50.

...lame.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 12:24 PM

Posted by themasses | July 15, 2008 12:29 PM

Posted by blah | July 15, 2008 12:56 PM

black flag is greater than you will ever be. the end.

Posted by dear blah | July 15, 2008 1:12 PM

are all BV crowd retards?
is there something in the williamsburg water supply?
why don't you just stick to dan deacon jokes?

Posted by anon | July 15, 2008 1:17 PM

"Your grammar aside, he's not Eddie Izzard, you idiot. It's spoken word and it's not always supposed to be funny."

Don't give a fuck. If it's not music and I'm paying cash to be entertained..you bet your ass some monkey better make my ass laugh...If I want to hear some someone talk about the 'good ole' days I'll listen to Bloodclot. Nuff said!

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 1:18 PM

"I'm not like Phil Collins, I'm more like Henry Rollins."
- Everlast

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 1:24 PM

Off the topic, who else thinks The Hold steady are awful? The new cd is seriously terrible!

The lyrics are just so mundane.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 1:27 PM

blah at 12:56 is probably the right-wing asshole who comments often. I wish you would die...

Black Flag "a lame punk band"? FUCK YOU... YOU KNOW NOTHING...

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 1:34 PM

yah hes not coked out playing an out of tune guitar to deadbeat kids in the bronx..
dude sucks.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 1:34 PM

"Anyone who disses Hank should not be commenting on this board. You are completely irrelevant and I don't give a fuck about anything you have to say. You are obviously some rich kid republican redneck shitbag. Die Die Die...
Black Flag "a lame punk band"? FUCK YOU... YOU KNOW NOTHING...

Your complete ignorance of anything political is overwhelming, douche.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 2:02 PM

Hey 12:56

No one cares about what Henry thinks?? I guarantee this sells out at even $50 a ticket.

Black Flag was lame??? I hope you get sucker-jacked at the MGMT show!

Go blog about The Hold Steady and their clever lyrics.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 2:06 PM

What the fuck ever happened to Henry?

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 2:09 PM

"Nauseating, the man is just so arrogantly vomit inducing. A. you're famous for being part of a lame punk band that was more pose that substance. B. no one cares about your political analysis. C. Your only fans at this point are hard-core leftist freaks who want reassurance in the form of one-dimensional anecdotes about how "bush is evil" and other pompous sloganeering."

Well said.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 2:09 PM

If Henry's so interested in hearing himself talk about shit, why doesn't he just post smug little self-righteous anonymous comments on Brooklyn Vegan?
Oh, that's right, "hard-core leftist freaks who want reassurance in the form of one-dimensional anecdotes about how "bush is evil" and other pompous sloganeering" have been paying his rent for the past 20 years. What a dork.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 2:09 PM

"Your complete ignorance of anything political is overwhelming, douche."

Typical right-wing asshole response. You fuckers are know-it-all sheep... spewing whatever bullshit Hannity or Limbaugh say. How would you possibly know anything about me or my knowledge of politics based on my comment about Black Flag?

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 2:10 PM

"Anyone who disses Hank should not be commenting on this board." (A fascist, anti first amendment statement)

"You are completely irrelevant and I don't give a fuck about anything you have to say." (You care enough to respond, so you're either an idiot or a liar)

You are obviously some rich kid republican redneck shitbag. (Neither rich nor Repub, but good job stereotyping)

"why don't you take your right-wing propaganda where it belongs? A fucking frat party maybe?" (Never been in a frat, fuckface, but good lookin' out)

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 2:17 PM

"How would you possibly know anything about me or my knowledge of politics based on my comment about Black Flag?"

Because you're transparent and shallow

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 2:17 PM

"Because you're transparent and shallow"

That's hilarious coming from someone who can't appreciate Black Flag. Go suck your mother's dick!

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 2:38 PM

he's a smart guy, really, but i think $50 is way too much to see his stand-up act. i thought he was only getting maybe $20 at warsaw a few months ago.

his radio show is pretty good though.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 2:46 PM

Hey idiot, I was defending Black Flag...read the above comments!

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 2:58 PM

"you're famous for being part of a lame punk band that was more pose that substance."

Yeah, all Black Flag did was go out on the road for years without making any money, play shows in towns that had previously had not exposure to punk or underground music of any kind, and in the process create the independent network of clubs, promoters, and labels that gave rise to literally every single band discussed on this site. Oh, and their guitarist founded SST which only put out Husker Du, the Minutemen, Sonic Youth, and every other band worth listening to in the 1980s. What posers.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 3:11 PM

Rollins rocks my cock.The dude rules.

Not only were Black Flag great,but the Rollins Band's first 2 albums were like fine wine in the age of beer.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 3:13 PM

Rollins rocks my cock.The dude rules.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 3:13 PM

---Fans who purchase tickets early will automatically be entered to win an autographed HENRY ROLLINS prize package.---

i'm not quite sure i'd like to win Rollins' prize package.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 3:14 PM

Henry who?

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 3:35 PM

SST? You mean the label that ran out of money and screwed over their artists?

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 3:57 PM

in philly its $22 and in a "punk" room

Posted by Sean | July 15, 2008 4:06 PM

"Oh, and their guitarist founded SST which only put out Husker Du, the Minutemen, Sonic Youth, and every other band worth listening to in the 1980s. What posers."

You forgot Dinosaur Jr, some Bad Brains, and so many other amazing releases!!!

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 4:07 PM

It's ironic that those who complain about stereotyping are often the quickest to partake in it. If you are not someone who jumps on the bandwagon of sheep bashing this country, then you're labeled a "right-winger." I simply dislike rollins not just because the substance of his lectures (and that's what they are) mostly are comprised of simplistic and superficial arguments, but also because of his delivery of the messaage. It's the same old message of tolerance from an intolerant individual, much like the people who post comments on this site.
From an artistic standpoint, I think the guy is a joke and I can not endure listening to black flag for more than 3 minutes at a time. From an intellectual standpoint, I find him even more offensive.

Posted by blah | July 15, 2008 4:14 PM

Rollins don't know shite 'bout nuttin'

G's up Hos down.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 4:19 PM

i find rollins to be quite funny and intelligent. i saw him last year at grammercy theatre with janeane garafolo which was a blast. got hooked up by a buddy but still would have paid $20-$30 to see him. $50 is too much though.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 4:31 PM

Henry Rollins is sub-moronic, at best. I'm surprised this isn't a double-bill with Andrew 'Dice' Clay. They're pretty much on the same level, intellectually.

Calling shitty stand-up material "spoken word" doesn't make it any smarter.

Posted by wembley | July 15, 2008 4:40 PM

"You forgot Dinosaur Jr, some Bad Brains, and so many other amazing releases!!!"

I know. I didn't mention Milo Goes to College, either. I was afraid if I kept going the list would go on forever.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 5:11 PM

Rollins can be a bit of a dick sometimes. He's a bit of a misogynist, but apparently that's totally cool on the BV comment sections these days. But insulting Black Flag is just lame.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 6:20 PM

rollins is not a misogynist whatsover

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 6:36 PM

What time does Daft Punk start hating women?

Posted by Crosseyed Sniper | July 15, 2008 6:57 PM

Rollins is an icon in the underground music world and has done well enough for himself to branch out to other mediums...I have respect for him. I'm not really into his spoken word but his show on IFC is pretty decent.

And while the new Hold Steady album isn't as good as Boys and Girls in America...it's still pretty damn good. I realize THS is one of those polarizing bands where you either love them or you don't care for them at all, but the venomous backlash they get on comment boards like this is laughable. If you don't like them, don't listen to them. It's pretty simple. I'm seeing them on Sunday and am really looking forward to it.

Posted by Hater Tots | July 15, 2008 8:30 PM

I'm old so I actually saw Black Flag quite a few times back in the day (I lived in LA 1980-1984, great years for punk out there). I gotta say they were a very serious punk band, though not nearly as artsy as X, still my favorite band of all time from those "formative" years. And ooh, I'm going to see John Doe play a HOUSE concert in two weeks in Freehold, wow.

Posted by Deb | July 15, 2008 9:53 PM

I'd rather see a Dez Cadena spoken word engagement any day.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 10:03 PM

Dez would probably be happy to talk your ear off for free

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2008 1:45 PM

What time of side dishes will be served at Henry Rollins' frozen waffles food trays?

Posted by Eric Cartman | October 30, 2008 3:24 PM