Posted in To Do | music on July 9, 2008

Weather

Due to threat of inclement weather, The Avett Brothers show scheduled for tonight at Rockefeller Park has been forced to move indoors. Please join us at Stuyvesant High School, 345 Chambers Street, for the show at 7 pm.
Sucks for Juana Molina and Feist.

Hopefully the same doesn't happen to St. Vincent tomorrow.

I blame Rick Rubin.

Posted by Anonymous | July 9, 2008 11:35 AM

awesome. the only bad thing about this show was that it was gonna be outdoors

Posted by Anonymous | July 9, 2008 11:47 AM

Does anyone know what time Juana Molina and Feist will go on?

I have seen shows at Prospect Park where it was pouring rain. Not sure how they do it with the lights and everything. Anyway I brought a poncho...

Posted by Anonymous | July 9, 2008 12:01 PM

damn.... outdoor avetts would've been perfect. I dunno what that other dude is thinkin.

Posted by Anonymous | July 9, 2008 12:21 PM

I wanted to see La Bamba.

Posted by Anonymous | July 9, 2008 12:26 PM

according to Bowery Presents website, Feist/Juana Molina doors open @ 6:30 and show starts @ 7:30. It also says Rain or Shine, but the list of things one can't bring in is an umbrella. How the heck does that work?

Posted by sloper | July 9, 2008 12:44 PM

^^^ suck it up - you've gotta want it. Will keep most of the chatty hipsters away at least.

Posted by Anonymous | July 9, 2008 12:53 PM

because umbrellas are a nuisance at shows. They block everyone's view.

Also they are weapons, especially for ninjas.

Posted by Anonymous | July 9, 2008 1:06 PM

12:53

only "chatty hipsters" own umbrella's?

i would love to meet all the anti-hipsters who post on this site. they must be so cool...but not cool in a way that anyone can detect, lest they be considered hipsters themselves.

get over yourselves.

i am bringing an umbrella and will be chatting as loudly as i can.

Posted by Anonymous | July 9, 2008 1:25 PM

A true ninja doesn't need a weapon.

Posted by Anonymous | July 9, 2008 1:25 PM

A true hipster doesn't need an umbrella

Posted by Anonymous | July 9, 2008 1:27 PM

1:25 knows nothing about ninjas

Posted by un:art:ig | July 9, 2008 1:48 PM

Thanks for the info. I will leave my umbrella at my office and bring my very un-hipsterlike poncho.

The good thing about concerts in the rain is that only the real fans are there. The chatty people with beer will go elsewhere...

Posted by Anonymous | July 9, 2008 2:21 PM

there were a few inconsiderate assbags who popped open their umbrellas during SY july 4. luckily, they got the hint before my hand was forced to snatch their umbrellas and beat them to death using aforementioned umbrellas. what kind of douche brings an umbrella to a show?

are people really afraid of the rain?

Posted by rihanna | July 9, 2008 3:45 PM

Wouldn't it be ironic if you couldn't bring an umbrella to a Hollies show.

Posted by Anonymous | July 9, 2008 5:34 PM

looks like a beautiful night for a concert. itchy trigger fingers.

Posted by jan janson | July 9, 2008 5:46 PM

Well that show was a fucking bust. A lot of people showed up for it--like, a line around half the block, and they turned 100-200 people away, if not more, INCLUDING people who had come an hour earlier and claimed tickets to come inside. Needless to say people were really upset when the door people/security copped an attitude and started yelling at us to leave the premises. Sigh. I guess I'll just listen to their records instead.

Posted by Anonymous | July 9, 2008 8:51 PM

a giant cluster...they really should have managed that better. and they were real dicks about it, too.

Posted by Anonymous | July 9, 2008 9:02 PM

I got shut out. lots of drama. Hey boys you owe us one in NYC! we will not forget!

Posted by Anonymous | July 10, 2008 12:12 AM

Dunno, made it there at 6:30 and got in really easy. The opener only played for a few songs, she was pretty bad. Avetts came on a little before 8, the sound was fantastic, the boys were in good spirits and played a great Emotionalism heavy set with a few new ones too. Wasn't too different from the show I say them play in May, starting with Shame, going into Die Die Die with Scott on Drums, and ending with Salvation Song before the encore. They came back for a few (I can't remember the order at all) but closed with Gabriela (with the plugged in ending) and Go to Sleep

The crowd was really great and supportive. A few people tried to rush up to the orchestra pit, but security kept them back and kicked one dude off of the stage when he jumped on and started clapping for one of the last ones.

All in all some of the better sound I've heard for an Avetts show (surprisingly in a HS auditorium). They could use some new material, can't wait to hear the new album(s)

Posted by Anonymous | July 10, 2008 10:14 AM

Yeah, instead of informing people that there were tickets to get inside and that they weren't anymore the people organizing this show just started screaming at everyone to leave. If they're going to move these event indoors shouldn't they let people know about this ticket system beforehand?

Posted by Anonymous | July 10, 2008 3:47 PM