Posted in music on July 8, 2008

Portishead @ Coachella 2008 (more by Ryan Muir)
Portishead

Contrary to reports that April's ten years in the making album Third would be their last release, Portishead have revealed they will record another album together.

Guitarist Adrian Utley has also exclusively told 6 Music why the band are not going to be playing in the future.

"We are thinking a new album," he said. "That's partly why we're not touring enormously, because in 1998 we toured for a year and a bit and it just crashed us. None of us wanted to see each other for a while after that."...

...The Bristol trio's last tour was a fairly short jaunt but Utley explained that they have family now, as well as different projects on the go which they want to work on: "We're all gonna be doing stuff. We've finished our touring for this album for this year because of things that we want to do." [BBC 6 Music]

Finished touring! :(
New album! :-)

Tags: Portishead

So, do we cheer that there will be another album, or cry that they aren't coming around on tour?

Posted by Anonymous | July 8, 2008 11:17 AM

so glad i went to coachella this year!

Posted by Anonymous | July 8, 2008 11:31 AM

Booooooooo!!!!!!!

This is the worst news of the year (except the new album part).

Posted by Anonymous | July 8, 2008 11:32 AM

i am still in awe at how good third was. let's hope fourth is up to par, now that the bar has been raised.

Posted by Anonymous | July 8, 2008 11:36 AM

great news! see ya in 2019!

Posted by Anonymous | July 8, 2008 11:43 AM

Yeah, I had that feeling that Portishead don't like touring at all, but I'm glad they made one appearance. It's good for the fans!

Now, I'll just have to plan a trip around their next appearance if it should ever happen.

Posted by sovereign_state | July 8, 2008 12:23 PM

Son of a bitch! I'm so fucking sad, ONE North American show! They really know how to build anticipation. I picked the wrong damn year to go to Coachella when I went last year. I ended up seeing Bjork four times in New York!

Posted by Anonymous | July 8, 2008 12:39 PM

Nice one, 11:43!

But, sheesh... I really hope we don't have to wait that long. I really hope they take what they started with Third and run with it.

Posted by Anonymous | July 8, 2008 12:51 PM

Thank the maker we don't have to wait another decade for a new album!!! Although they are slightly unclear as to how long we really have to wait!

Posted by sherru | July 8, 2008 1:04 PM

Posted by Anonymous | July 8, 2008 2:08 PM

^^

this is all true, 2:08. I still love to see them do a proper tour but, fuck, i'll trade it for a new album any day.

Posted by Anonymous | July 8, 2008 2:42 PM

"I would take this press release with a grain of salt. These guys say a lot of shit and then do something else. I still say we see them on tour in 2009 sooner rather than later. And for all the people who say Thank God i saw them at Coachella. Pffft, most of you were probably all the way back in that crowd of what 140,000? I watched it on stream and i probably saw more of the band up close than you did and the sound was probably better. The only people you can truly be envious of are the ones who went to the rehersal show the night before."

ha ha wow someones jealous. i definitely went out of my way to get to the main stage early. i was right up front for both portishead and prince - and the sound was incredible. ive got the pictures to prove it

Posted by Anonymous | July 8, 2008 3:28 PM

2:08 Are you kidding me?! you think watching them on a monitor is better than seeing them live. You wish. I was about twenty people back and only took about three pictures because the music had me just in awe the rest of the time. They put on a great show, with great sound, and I saw them just fine. So have fun with your little stream, I was in the ocean.

Posted by Anonymous | July 8, 2008 6:42 PM

third sucked

Posted by Anonymous | July 8, 2008 6:55 PM

hahah I love Brooklynvegan, please don't change

Posted by CARNIwhORE | July 10, 2008 7:10 PM

Can I gloat abit further then.

I was at the Portishead preview show at Mr Wolf's in Bristol which is featured on the extras of the 'third' album (and I stood next to Liz Fraser). Went to see them at ATP at Minehead. And Adrian Utley lives 2 streets away from my mother.

Posted by miss B | December 17, 2008 11:54 AM