Posted in music | tour dates on July 9, 2008

Shudder To Think @ Bowery Ballroom (more by Chris La Putt)
Shudder To Think

As previously reported, "Shudder to Think officially back together, playing Virgin Fest". Add Chicago, Ontario, Philadelphia, Boston, New Orleans, LA, San Francisco and NYC to that list...

Shudder To Think - 2008 Tour Dates
Aug 10 - Virgin Mobile Festival Baltimore, Maryland
Sep 5 - Park West Chicago, Illinois
Sep 6 - Virgin Festival Toronto, Ontario
Oct 3 - Theater of the Living Arts Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Oct 4 - Webster Hall New York, New York
Oct 11 - Paradise Boston, Massachusetts
Oct 25 - Voodoo Music Festival New Orleans, Louisiana
Nov 1 - El Rey Los Angeles, California
Nov 2 - The Fillmore San Francisco, California

(thx PN)

sigh... no one breaks up for good anymore.

Posted by Anonymous | July 9, 2008 10:08 AM

Shudder to Care.

Posted by greg | July 9, 2008 10:18 AM

Posted by Old Rocker | July 9, 2008 10:20 AM

Anyone care?

Posted by Anonymous | July 9, 2008 10:49 AM

obviously people care if they are doing this.

Posted by Anonymous | July 9, 2008 10:54 AM

"In the old days, bands did drugs, and then someone died in their prime and it was over. That was entertainment."

Hey old man, that sh*t still happens. I got my money on Tim Harrington blowing a gasket any day now.

Posted by Anonymous | July 9, 2008 10:59 AM

Anyone care??

Posted by Anonymous | July 9, 2008 11:01 AM

Have a heart.

Posted by Anonymous | July 9, 2008 11:02 AM

I care!!!

Posted by Anonymous | July 9, 2008 11:04 AM

Many People Care. Go buy Pony Express Record and then you will care.

Posted by Anonymous | July 9, 2008 11:06 AM

It is a telling sign of the state of music when old bands 'reuniting' is more exciting than new bands succeeding. Maybe giving everyone Garageband, an iPod and a high speed internet connection wasn't such a good idea -- no more gate keepers.

Posted by greg | July 9, 2008 11:13 AM

Leaving a comment on BV is pointless, but thank you, anon 10:54.
The rest of you: idiots. Why even bother commenting?

And no, I'm not a member or relative of STT. Just a great admirer of their work who's seen them many, many times over the years and really look forward to the Webster Hall show.

Posted by All Eyes Are Different | July 9, 2008 11:14 AM

blah blah we're just old blah blah old bands make us feel young again blah blah mac book air blah blah CHEDDAR.

You know who my nephews listen to? Led Zeppelin, The Clash and AC/DC. One just asked me if I'd ever heard of Minor Threat.

Posted by Anonymous | July 9, 2008 12:55 PM

i'd love to see a mid-90's dischord revue tour:

fugazi
shudder to think
jawbox

wsg: smart went crazy

or maybe a minor threat reunion with tickets priced at 75$ a pop.

Posted by scott | July 9, 2008 12:58 PM

Posted by Eggs1234 | July 9, 2008 1:19 PM

although not dischord, put swiz on that line up too. nathan larson can do 2 sets!

Posted by pdiddy | July 9, 2008 1:39 PM

Why no DC? They were a DC band, after all, and not a single DC show? Odd.

Posted by Steve | July 9, 2008 4:25 PM

Do I get a free Brendan Canning CD if I go to this show?

Posted by Anonymous | July 9, 2008 4:33 PM

"Why no DC? They were a DC band, after all, and not a single DC show? Odd."

There hasn't been any official announcement about these shows yet. They'll probably add DC later. AFter the Virgin Festival.

"And before anyone points out V-Fest being in Baltimore, it's not the same thing -- it's a 1+ hour drive and $100 for a 1-day ticket."

Tell that to the Virgin Festival promoters who probably require bands not to play DC before the festival.

Posted by Anonymous | July 9, 2008 4:44 PM

lordy you people are cynical -shits iz gonna ROCK.
Love, Craig

Posted by Craig Wedren | July 9, 2008 5:30 PM

Steve wrote:Why no DC? They were a DC band, after all, and not a single DC show? Odd.

My response: Yes they started in DC in the late '80s but moved to NYC in the early '90s, where they were based for most of their career. With that said, I do think they should add a DC show, though I'm just happy there's a Philly date. I saw them 3 times at City Gardens circa '92-'93 and they were magical each time. In particular, their show in August '92 there with Jawbox opening remains one of the greatest shows I've ever seen by anyone. I haven't seen them since, though I still maintain that their best stuff is Ten Spot and Funeral at the Movies. Those are two of my favorite records of all-time. Oh and I love Swiz as well so it's cool that Nathan Larson is their guitarist but if the original lineup got back together or even if just Stuart was involved, that would be even better.

Posted by Matt Berlyant | July 9, 2008 6:00 PM

i shudder to think about shudder to think.

Posted by Anonymous | July 10, 2008 2:24 AM

Matt, I was at that Shudder to Think/Jawbox show at City Gardens. I agree that that show was fantastic. I was really there for Jawbox and wasn't feeling all that well after their set so I sat down at the back of the crowd for StT and just listened. And I was completely blown away. Everything was so crisp. Craig's vocals were on. The guitars were totally clean. Just awesome.

During the set, I think I recall Craig asking if someone would drive him and his girlfriend to NYC. Do you remember that?

Posted by Eggs1234 | July 10, 2008 10:57 AM

Yes I totally remember that Eggs1234 (is your username a reference to the old Teenbeat band Eggs?), esp. now that you reminded me! I remember that after he said that, I was surprised that he wanted to go to NYC since I thought they were still based in DC at the time. Ah, the naivety of youth, esp. when you couldn't look up something like that on the internet in those days. After the show, me and my friend Norm spoke to Craig for a time and he was really nice to us, a couple of starstruck 17 year old kids. I'll never forget that.

Posted by Matt Berlyant | July 10, 2008 2:28 PM

Nice, Matt. Good to know that someone still remembers that show. I was at Shitty Gardens a bunch during that time period. I remember seeing the aforementioned, Sonic Youth/Cell and Rollins Band/C.O.C. all within the course of a month or so. Might have seen All/Dickies/Doughboys and Down By Law there around the same time. Oh, the memories.

I thought of that old band when I started using this username but I never knew much by them. Great band name though.

Yup, rock stars used to talk to their fans back in the old days.

Good chattin'.

Posted by Eggs1234 | July 10, 2008 4:08 PM

"Add Nation of Ulysses to that line-up and I'd so be there. And make the special guest Circus Lupus instead, please."

while we're dreaming, that would be great.

and i don't know how i forgot about lungfish.

Posted by scott | July 12, 2008 12:14 PM

I recently got back into Shudder to Think.
As a matter of fact, I received the Funeral at the Movies/Ten Spot CD today.

Posted by Alana | July 18, 2008 1:02 PM

I got Pony Express Record today so I'm happy.
I didn't like Get Your Goat or 50,000 BC as much.

Posted by Alana | July 28, 2008 7:32 PM

Just for the record, I traveled from Florida to see the Webster Hall show, and it was the best $$$ I've spent in ages. And to anyone begrudging reunions: the idea that reunions are categorically useless is just plain stupid. Some bands break up because they are spent, but some break up far too early; if the Webster Hall show was any indicator, Shudder to Think belong squarely in the latter category.

Posted by Paul Sikes | October 27, 2008 12:18 PM

I've been to two reunion shows in the past month... (including My Bloody Valentine in Santa Monica)... and the STT show in Los Angeles was the better of the two.

I was at all the City Gardens shows that you mentioned (Jawbox and Severin - BTW Nathan played all those shows), missed them during the Pony Xpress tour, and caught them for 50k BC. I never thought I'd get the chance to see them again.

Funny that someone mentioned Craig asking to bum a ride to NYC from the City Gardens. I think he did that at 2 of 3 of those CG show. I almost obliged the second time!

I can't belive that people said they didn't like "Get Your Goat"! That's like saying Pet Sounds or Repeater sucks.

Posted by GeoEnvi | November 3, 2008 6:11 PM