Posted in music | pictures on July 14, 2008

photos by Ryan Muir

Breeders @ McCarren Pool

Gothamist: Are you guys excited about the upcoming show at the McCarren Pool?

Kelley Deal: The Breeders seem like a natural fit for the Pool Parties. Well, we do have the album Last Splash. And you know what a Cannonball is, right? But there's no water, is there? It seems like it would be hot.

I like to read the New York Times, so I saw a pictures of the Hold Steady show there last week. Why are they closing it.

more pics below,,,

The Whip...

Breeders...

-McCarren Pool, July 13, 2008

PREVIOUSLY: Matt & Kim @ McCarren Pool, Brooklyn, NY - pics

Mmmm.. Good Beefcake in the dodgeballs section..

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2008 11:55 AM

what is the top shop shenanigans about?

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2008 12:06 PM

why in the hell was that guy from the whip wearing that blue jacket?

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2008 12:12 PM

FIRST!

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2008 12:15 PM

Ahhh, great weather, great music and the free Dewars and ginger in the VIP section wasn't too shabby either. Lots of praise for Matt & Kim by the other posters, and I agree they were alot of fun, but the day was all about Kim & Kelly IMO.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2008 12:16 PM

who else luvs the female axyl rose on stage right who'd come out on far stage right, play a few chords per song, or play a few inaudible piano notes, and leave every other song? i know i do!

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2008 12:22 PM

i love top shop, i'm excited for it coming to nyc but i didn't get why it was there? i should have asked i guess. i don't know why the guy from The Whip was wearing that ridiculous jacket when it was like 100 degrees out. i think he maybe thought he was still in the UK. either way they were really good. it must of been so weird for them because they're pretty popular in the UK and play huge shows where everyone is really enthusiastic then they come to the states and they're playing for 150 stone-faced hipsters. whatever, I danced.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2008 12:26 PM

the closeup of the singer from the whip's face is just way too much for my stomach to handle.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2008 12:28 PM

Or maybe you're the hipster because you danced. I think they suffered from a poor mix, not because you saw everyone around you as a stone-faced hipster and that you're the only one funky enough to boogie. People love to throw the hipster word around, but chances are you're probably a hipster too in someone's eyes.

Posted by NewmRadio | July 14, 2008 12:34 PM

Oh yeah...great day at the Pool!!! May the Pool Parties live on!

Posted by NewmRadio | July 14, 2008 12:35 PM

Does anyone have a report (or photos) from the Breeders' in-store at Other Music on Friday night? I WISH I would have been able to make it!

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2008 12:37 PM

I love Kelley because she's the only pool party performer all summer to talk shit about the fact that they're closing it down. Nice to hear some rage from the crowd.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2008 12:40 PM

i smoked a jay with kim before the show
it was th best herbal i ever had

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2008 12:43 PM

topshop is there because they're building brand-awareness for the soho store opening by sponsoring the biggest weekly youth-culture clusterfuck in town.

come on guys, let's put 2 and 2 together here.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2008 12:45 PM

well it's obvious they're doing promotion, but what were they actually doing? like the little houses weren't just there, they must have been selling or giving something away or something. that's what i was wondering.

okay fine. so someone may think i'm a hipster but the point is it was music i think people had to make an effort not to atleast bop along to. it was just solid dance music, I don't understand why only a handful of people were dancing. it was outside, and fun and i don't know. i guess i thought people were doing it on purpose. not dancing.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2008 12:54 PM

Top-Shop was giving away beach mats. I got one because I'm a sucker for free merch.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2008 1:01 PM

I was amazed how young the crowd was. I'm pretty old, saw the Breeders in the 90s and shit, but everybody up front was young and knew all the new songs but had no idea what "Drivin' on 9" or "Saints" or "Safari" was.

that was one incredibly fun day.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2008 1:07 PM

Yeah, 12:54, I know I'm not a big fan of dance music so I wasn't so into it. But I do like the idea of mixing up styles a bit like that...because the Breeders are far from electro-dance music.

Posted by NewmRadio | July 14, 2008 1:17 PM

good show.

where i was, somewhere in the middle, the crowd was kind of dead and no one seemed to know any of the songs except "cannonball."

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2008 1:18 PM

" everybody up front was young and knew all the new songs but had no idea what "Drivin' on 9" or "Saints" or "Safari" was."

I have to disagree. I am only 20 and I knew the words to almost all the old songs. I love the Breeders! In a way I grew up with the Last Splash. But I don't know anyone my age who understands their importance to me and to the older generation of folks at the show. I went with a few friends but ultimately I was there dancing by myself.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2008 1:22 PM

Did anyone else think the members switching in & out every other song was a bit distracting? It made me dizzy.

Posted by CJ | July 14, 2008 1:23 PM

Oh -- and The Whip? Holy fucking hell. SO BAD. The whole set sounded like that Snakes on a Plane song (you know the one). It was really, really bad.

Posted by CJ | July 14, 2008 1:27 PM

Kim Deal is my idol!

Posted by R08 | July 14, 2008 1:37 PM

When did Roger Waters start playing guitar for the Breeders?

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2008 1:48 PM

The lead singer of The Whip looks like the kid from big before he turns into Tom Hanks. I love the reflection of the keyboard in that photo.
I thought they had some moments where they sounded awesome. Probably not the right crowd for them though.

The Breeders were very good. I just want to see the Pixies though.

My pics from the show here:

Posted by Kurt | July 14, 2008 1:48 PM

well we waited in line for 2 hours to get in (I'm not exaggerating, I checked the time) and never did. Security didn't seem to know what was going on, saying we would get in, then we wouldn't, then we would again. At one point there was just one guard and he didn't do anything except say he didn't know anything. At another point another guard and some woman (who had a staff badge but said she wasn't with Jelly) said it was at capacity and then another said that as soon as the Breeders started they would let people in. During the Breeders' set a ton of people came out (i.e. left) and one of the security guys wanted to let people in and was told no (by whom I don't know). Security and the same staff woman said they would go along the line (there were a ton of people waiting to get in) to let them know what was going on and then never did. What hurts even more is that my friend went around to the side of the building (by construction) and saw in and said it clearly wasn't at capacity. This was totally unorganized and it seemed like nobody on staff cared. Before you say 'sour grapes' if it had just been full and we weren't allowed in then fine, disappointing but fine. However, it clearly was a case of nobody knowing what was going on or caring. I have been to a bunch of the pool parties in the previous year and it never was like this. I don't know if Jelly management has changed hands or what but I will not go back. It was just an awful experience.

Posted by cg | July 14, 2008 1:52 PM

It's a free show! next time do yourself a favor and get there early... why is it so hard for some people to make it on time, spend the whole afternoon chillin, drinking beer and listening to some music (even tho some of them bands r not the greatest)??

Posted by R08 | July 14, 2008 1:58 PM

I don;t think that the promotors have anything to do with the decision to shut down the line. This is a NYC park. The decisions on safety and capacity and not letting people in is probably done at the police or parks department or fire marshal level. And they just don;t care if you see a band or not. Just because the venue doesn't 'look' capacity to your eyes doesn't mean that it isn't at legal capacity for an event. Sure it always looks like you can squeeze in/fit in more people, but when they are at 'legal capacity' it means that if something goes wrong they need to have simply the amount of people that they can get out safely in a short amount of time. This is why many sold out shows in indoor venues seem to have room in them to fit more people in

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2008 2:05 PM

got there at around 2 pm and still had to wait almost an hour to get in. it pretty much is bullshit. why the beer id check blocking the way in? there has to be a better way to get inside instead having people wait for an hour. we werent even drinking.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2008 2:05 PM

i think it really sucks that they don't let people in once tons of people leave. really all it takes is one gaurd going to have a looksee in and see the place is only half full and letting a couple hundred folks in. i don't know. it wouldn't be that hard. i felt bad for all the people lined up. it's logical that if you live down the street and you only want to see the breeders that you show up 30 minutes before their set. the whole situation was kind of a mess.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2008 2:06 PM

"Kim was so stoned, and it made her so fucking entertaining to watch in between songs. Totally business during the songs, though. I don't think a minute passed without her laughing or smiling. I felt like I was watching friends play music in a backyard -- in a good way."

Agreed! Both the Deal sisters seemed to be having a good time. I liked when Kim said "It's a free show, I can plat whatever the hell I want".

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2008 2:20 PM

The Breeders were too good. Lots of energy and they barely move. I wasn't feeling the new album, but I loved the songs they played from it live. I am enjoying it now better.

Posted by Eduardo | July 14, 2008 2:25 PM

one of the highlights from an awesome day (if you got in): between bands the DJ put on Bikini Kill's "Rebel Girl" and it almost made me weep for joy. I loved hearing it in that huge space, with that stone-wall echo, everyone singing along... AWESOME.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2008 2:28 PM

ah, what can you do? JellyNYC has always been incompetent, and add to that they have a gaggle of dufuses from the police and fire dept breathing down their necks. It's juts a lame situation.

none of those parties are qualified to be in any position of authority.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2008 2:30 PM

to whomever asked about the Other Music appearance: it was great. We didn't have tkts but waited outside and heard and saw it most everything. At one point a few people left so they let a few people in. Inside I couldn't see at all but the sound was good, better than it has sounded for some of the other in-store shows. Sorry I don't have any pics.

Posted by cg | July 14, 2008 2:32 PM

I was there yesterday. I was the guy wearing the tight cutoff jean shorts...with the beard.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2008 2:43 PM

^^^

I like the tattoos on your arms.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2008 2:48 PM

i enjoyed when they played Jawbreaker's "Boxcar" before Breeders' set.

"i was passin out when you were passin out your rules."

i miss substantial music.

Posted by the jim | July 14, 2008 2:49 PM

i got there at 3:30 and was in at 3:45. ya'll fools for hating on these free concerts in city operated parks. ny does a great job with this all around.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2008 2:53 PM

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2008 2:59 PM

I enjoyed it when they played Dan Deacon's "Wham City"!!!

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2008 3:00 PM

I'm cg's friend who went around to the side (by the sprinkler park) to peek in through the fence - at that point, halfway through the Breeders set, the pool was 3/4 full at most. (Those hulahoopers pictured above had plenty of room to spread out.) They could easily have let in the 300-400 people still on line without even noticing.

Again, though, the issue isn't who decides what's capacity, but that hundreds of people had left, and they still weren't letting anyone in to take their place. Or. more maddeningly, even informing the people on line that they weren't going to let us in no matter what, so we might as well go home.

The Breeders sounded good from what I heard of them, but at this point I wouldn't go to another Jelly Pool Party if the Beatles reunited to play there with God guesting on keyboards.

Posted by nd | July 14, 2008 3:00 PM

"cg" @ 1:52PM, if you were the angry, middle-aged dude yelling for security through the Breeders' set, I think that the next time you show up late as hell to a free show on a beautiful day and don't get in, you need to take a step back and have a few deep breaths and consider how tough your life really is. It was bad enough having to listen to the ice-cream truck all afternoon without your bitching.

"SERENITY NOW!"

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2008 3:11 PM

A bunch of people - myself included - left during the Breeders set because they sounded awful. Bad mix, instruments out of tune, Kim's voice beyond scratchy. I am a fan, saw them at Bowery on the Title TK tour and thought they were great, but I wasn't alone in thinking yesterday's show was just sad. Sucked all the energy out of an audience that had been whipped into a frenzy by Matt + Kim.

I've been to sold-out shows in the pool before and they were never more full than yesterday's show. I'm sure the city limits how many people can fit inside, which is wise. However, I agree when those of us driven away by the Breeders' suprisingly dismal performance left, they probably ought to have let others in to replace us - though I wouldn't say y'all missed much....

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2008 3:12 PM

call 311 about that ice cream truck. the license plate is 63051-JY.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2008 3:15 PM

"what was the song the DJ played with a guy singing, "you can always come back to me, because I'm nothing and you are everything"? that was a cool song. was it 90s?"

i think that was "the dirge" by new bad things.

japanther covered it later at club exit too.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2008 3:16 PM

...and the DJ played Huggy Bear after Bikini Kill. I could feel my inner riot grrrl swelling with pride, even though I'm a guy in his late 30s who really should have a better job and a mortgage by now.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2008 3:32 PM

SPIN covered that show. They've got more photos and some video of the Breeders. Looks like an awesome performance!

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2008 3:38 PM

I agree about the Breeders being much better at Bowery on the Title TK tour. I remember that set rocking so hard. 2 hours of rawk firepower. Yesterday was really good... but definitely didn't match my memories of that show a few years ago.

Posted by wembley | July 14, 2008 4:11 PM

@Anon3:12 - We're all entitled to our respective opinions but I couldn't disagree with you more. I though The Breeders were great, the sound was fantastic (at least where I was standing in front of the left speaker column about midway between the stage and the sound booth) and the Deal Sisters' vocals were right on point.

Posted by blackhat | July 14, 2008 4:28 PM

Mr DJ played Fugazi too. The snare drum mic was not working for the Breeders. This was corrected half way into the show.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2008 5:52 PM

Anyone know of more photos that haven't already been shared?

Posted by CJ | July 14, 2008 6:59 PM

Showing up an hour or two early to free shows doesn't even assure you entrance to a half full venue... that's shitty.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2008 7:19 PM

well no if you showed up two hours early you or sure got in. i showed up an hour late and got in fine.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2008 9:34 PM

I dragged my 17 yr old niece to this show. We waited a LONG time in the line, but managed to get in just after Matt & Kim finished. She had no idea who the Breeders were (or the Pixies) and got tired of standing about halfway through their set. (I played "Cannonball" for her and she said that it sounded familiar, maybe.) She went to sit by the slip n slide to read, but texted me this from the sidelines:

"Ok. The music's good. And they're funny:)"

As a side note, when you are 28 and you are hanging out with your 17 yr old niece, everyone you run into knew you when you were 17.

Posted by Aaron | July 14, 2008 10:42 PM

I thought the show was good, but nothing compared to their show at Mess with texas this year at sxsw. now that's how an outdoor show is supposed to be. actually dark outside. and amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 12:20 AM

I think the problem with McCarren Pool is that they have no sensibilities to what they're doing. When they get show lineups right, its almost by pure luck. They try to use sponsorship (some local, some not) to buy out a good time. I definitely agree that they're on the right track but they need to find other people to book at Jelly NYC because I've met them and they are older then the crowd they want to get involved with. I honestly don't mind trying to be sold stuff I might actually want, but I wish they would just seek out a substitute booker with intelligent choses. Besides that and the line problems, I think they actually do an amazing job and don't make any steps to reach out to anyone in the community and it builds fake rivalries, which is not anything anyone wants.

Posted by Josh Brown | July 15, 2008 12:46 AM

The Breeders were fantastic! I love Kim Deal so goddamn much. She can really do whatever she wants if you ask me. Props for the GBV cover!

Matt and Kim confuse the hell out of me. They're fun, but I still feel like they have nothing to say at all.Nice kids though!

The Whip is one of the most HORRID fucking bands i've ever sat through. 2nd worst at McCarren (1st being State Radio) They really only needed a guy with a lap top and the lead singer douche dancing around shouting self help slogans into the mic. I felt like i was at club exit circa like, 4 years ago.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 1:43 AM

Of course the promoters are older than the people they are selling to at the pool. That's always been the case in the music business. The young kids don't know how to promote anything, except themselves and stupid parties in their dorms/apts.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 5:39 PM

ah, what can you do? JellyNYC has always been incompetent, and add to that they have a gaggle of dufuses from the police and fire dept breathing down their necks. It's just a lame situation.

none of those parties are qualified to be in any position of authority.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2008 5:47 PM

"i smoked a jay with kim before the show
it was th best herbal i ever had

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2008 12:43 PM"

You are a fucking lying piece of shit. And for the other idiot who said Kim was so stoned. Kim Deal does not smoke weed or cigarettes anymore. She gave that all up. Morons.

And for those of you who didnt get in. Stop your whining and bitching about security. Get there early next time or figure out the ways to get into the pool otherwise(there are a number of them)
Bottom line, if you got there by 3 you got in.

Posted by A Manhattan Not Brooklyn Asshole | July 15, 2008 6:06 PM