Posted in music | video on July 10, 2008

The Vaselines @ Maxwell's, Hoboken, NJ - July 9, 2008 (Music Snobbery)
The Vaselines

The Vaselines played Maxwell's last night.

With their setlist, you pretty much got what you came for, unless you wanted Teenage Superstar. Their set was about 45 minuteslong, focusing on their top songs. Their voices haven't aged at all, even though I'd like to meet the person who saw them back in the day and remembers how they played. I can't emphaisze more how unique and special the night was, and then having it be a tribute to the indie rock of 20 years ago. It seems like it could be made today and not feel dated. [Music Snobbery]
Tonight is Southpaw (July 10, 2008). Stevie, Bobby and Richard of Belle & Sebastian are playing as their backing band. Bill also pointed out that UK band The Indelicates are the opener. The Vaselines' only other US show is the Sub Pop Festival in Seattle this weekend. Video of Nirvana unplugged, and the Maxwell's setlist, below....

Jesus Dont Want Me For a Sunbeam

Sex Sux (Amen)
Rory Rides Me Raw
Dying For It
ENCORE:
You Think You're A Man
Dum-Dum

...this was one of the most fun shows I've seen all year. The banter was hysterical and the songs shined bright. Long live The Vaselines!!!!

Posted by Half Chemical | July 10, 2008 10:31 AM

just wondering what people thought of the indelicates? i think this was their first new york area show after that screw up around sxsw time...

Posted by Anonymous | July 10, 2008 10:31 AM

The Indelicates were great.

Posted by Anonymous | July 10, 2008 10:35 AM

Indelicates were amazing. Can't wait to see them again next week.

Posted by Anonymous | July 10, 2008 10:50 AM

indelicates were unlistenable. the lead singer is a complete jackass... as is the guitar player.

and they hate america.

Posted by Anonymous | July 10, 2008 11:09 AM

The Vaselines were so much fun. The Indellicates are a less fun Art Brut cover band.

Posted by Anonymous | July 10, 2008 11:18 AM

The Indelicates were awful. No flow, terrible songs, dense lyrics. They have a couple of cute girls in the band, but they were useless, basically. This blog has lost some cred from even POSTING their video in the first place. Dear lord it was like a school-play gone awry. I loved the "Controversial-strained-we-hate-America-but-we're witty" stance. Ungh, no thanks.

Vaselines really kicked ass. Alot of effeminate hipsters there, but I guess that's to be expected at any decent show that Maxwell's does these days. Amazing how boring that calendar is as of late. Not one decent band playing in oh, the next 2 months I'd say? Last night was it for Maxwell's. The Vaselines rocked.

Posted by Anonymous | July 10, 2008 11:22 AM

When did Brooklyn Vegan become the Republican National Convention?

Posted by Anonymous | July 10, 2008 11:27 AM

Say what you want, but the Indelicates pop stuff is fantastic. "Julia, We Don't Live In The 60s" is classic.

Posted by Anonymous | July 10, 2008 11:35 AM

now that i think of it, i never see any hipsters at maxwells. i was at polvo and the feelies recently and the crowd there were totally nice, totally normal and friendly.

its like a breath of fresh air from shows in brooklyn.

Posted by Anonymous | July 10, 2008 12:13 PM

i'd hit it.

Posted by Anonymous | July 10, 2008 12:34 PM

one of the best things about the Indelicates is that they don't have fans like Anonymous 11:22, who can't handle "dense lyrics".

Vaselines were amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | July 10, 2008 12:45 PM

Hipsters don't go to New Jersey

Posted by Anonymous | July 10, 2008 12:47 PM

isn't "dense lyrics" another phrase for "moronic lyrics". That singer wouldn't know his nose from his nut sac.

Posted by Anonymous | July 10, 2008 12:51 PM

I hate to fan the flames here and I know that pointlessly arguing on the internet is like that joke about the Special Olympics, but I have to respond to anon 11:22 AM here, who wrote:
"Alot of effeminate hipsters there, but I guess that's to be expected at any decent show that Maxwell's does these days. Amazing how boring that calendar is as of late. Not one decent band playing in oh, the next 2 months I'd say? Last night was it for Maxwell's. The Vaselines rocked."

It's your right to feel this way, of course, but I feel you're giving Maxwells short shrift here and being unfair. Personally, I'm psyched that The Effigies are playing there on the 26th and I'm driving from Philly for the show. The night before, Steve Wynn and his band is playing The Dream Syndicate's The Days of Wine and Roses in its entirety. And they also have Bob Mould and Times New Viking playing next week, not to mention Eddie and the Hot Rods (I had no idea they were even playing, admittedly) next month. It's still my favorite place on earth to see live music. I wish I could've been there last night, but alas.

Posted by Matt Berlyant | July 10, 2008 1:14 PM

"Hipsters don't go to New Jersey"

best part of Maxwell's

well that and YLT holiday runs :)

Posted by Anonymous | July 10, 2008 1:35 PM

Maxwell's is the best venue period. The shows are relatively cheap, there is no backstage (as I've seen many artists knock people over after having a bad gig), and the bands that get booked there is the biggest draw to me. Let's not forget about the bands who have played there in the past, along with a decent sound system for such a small, intimate venue! The only drawbacks are the occasional fist pumpers who drop by to see some gigs here and there. Cheap drinks and awesome food! And no, I don't work for Maxwell's. I just appreciate great music in such a great venue. Let the negative posts commence!

Posted by qweebaroo! | July 10, 2008 1:48 PM

11:22 posting again here. I agree with you Matt, Steve Wynn is great, so I must've missed he was playing there. The club is better then ever, but I guess I feel like the quality of shows is starting to slip. Also 12:45, you need to go out and see better bands, seriously. I think some of the musicians in The Indelicates are talented (like the female singer & the rhythm section), but the singer & lead guitar player? Terrible. Has nothing to do whether the band thinks America sucks or not. I could care less about that, if anything it's just a gimick. Also, despite the drummer having some power, not one beat had any momentum whatsoever. It was the same basic beats and no flow. Sorry, just putting my own two cents in here.

Posted by Anonymous | July 10, 2008 2:01 PM

Are you shitstains really arguing the merits of the opening band??? Who gives a shit. You paid to see The Vaselines, right? Oh and Maxwells is an amazing venue Very Brooklyn Hipster free most of the time cause those idiots cannot afford the trip out to Hoboken.

Posted by A Manhattan Not Brooklyn Asshole | July 10, 2008 2:22 PM

I have seen maybe 50 shows at Maxwells. I don't think I ever paid more than $15 for a show there. My only complaint is things start very late. Otherwise Maxwells is an ideal venue! YAY!

Posted by Anonymous | July 10, 2008 2:26 PM

"Very Brooklyn Hipster free most of the time cause those idiots cannot afford the trip out to Hoboken."

Most Brooklyn Hipsters are living off trust funds and are paying four hundred dollars to dress up in an outfit that looks like they have no money.

Posted by Anonymous | July 10, 2008 2:50 PM

are you jealous because they've got more money than you?

Posted by Anonymous | July 10, 2008 4:02 PM

no. I pity them because they are trying so hard to be different and artsy and authentic and bohemian and starving artist, yet they have more in common with a businessman yuppie than they will ever realize or admit.

Posted by Anonymous | July 10, 2008 4:34 PM

she uses vaselines, oh my gawd!?

Posted by tx | July 10, 2008 4:40 PM

Can't we all agree... the Vaselines were AMAZING last night?

Oh... and I was able to pay $10 to sniff Frances' panties after the show. If I had $20, she was going to keep them on... but I needed the other $10 for the Lincoln Tunnel toll.

Posted by Anonymous | July 10, 2008 4:45 PM

tight girl pants and v-neck tshirts, the williamsburg dude uniform.

Posted by Anonymous | July 10, 2008 4:45 PM

Dear Vaselines,

Please tour.

xoxox,
Everyone

Posted by Everyone | July 10, 2008 6:32 PM

The Indelicates sounded like a compilation of the worst Meatloaf songs

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2008 12:01 AM

Awesome show

check it out.
shortwaverockin.blogspot.com

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2008 12:04 AM

Vaselines were great, great, great tonight at Southpaw as well. Great singing, great playing. And of course great songs. One of the rare shows that reminds you what rock'n'roll can be.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2008 1:48 AM

'Son Of A Gun' live at Southpaw, Brooklyn

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2008 2:41 AM

'Jesus Wants Me For A Sunbeam' live at Southpaw, Brooklyn

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2008 2:53 AM

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2008 6:34 AM

erm, i think you need to read the lyrics to 'America'. The Indelicates don't hate america, it's a pro-constitution song. i don't think that's much of a gimmick, seeing as how the most fashionable opinion of america and it's politics is anti-captalist, anti-corporate, and anti-liberty...

hate the sound all you want, but i think you missed the point a little...

Posted by Anonymous | July 18, 2008 8:43 PM