Posted in To Do | music on July 19, 2008

DOWNLOAD: The Black Ghosts - Repetition (Diplo Remix) (MP3)

The Dodos @ Cake Shop, NYC - July 17, 2008 (forklift)
The Dodos @ Cake Shop

* The Siren afterparty @ Music Hall of W
* Girls, Nite Jewel & Rings @ Glasslands
* Karsh Kale performing Enter the Dragon in Prospect Park
* Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson & Kyp Malone @ Cake Shop
* Calavera Conspiracy & Dillinger Escape Plan @ Irving Plaza
* Sic Alps, Meth Teeth, Religious Knives & caUSE co-MOTION! @ DBA

Meth Teeth, a good lo-fi band from "Kerby st./ Seattle/Goose Hollow, Oregon" is now on tour. Check them out tonight at Death By Audio (see great lineup above) and Sunday at Don Pedro's.

Tickets are still on sale for the Last Shadow Puppets show at Grand Ballroom.

"Dark Knight" breaks preview record

James Brown's children sorry to see memorabilia auctioned.

Paul McCartney, Garth Brooks, Steven Tyler, Roger Daltry of the Who, John Mellencamp, Don Henley, and Tony Bennett, and all made guest appearances at one of Billy Joel's two "last plays" at Shea Stadium.

What else?

Tigercity, Murder Mystery, Action Painters, and Lissy Trullie at Bowery Ballroom tonight.

Posted by Anonymous | July 19, 2008 11:48 AM

Saturday 7/19

MAX'S KANSAS CITY REUNION PRESENTS

Blood Runners
Tuff Darts
Cheap Perfume
Freddy Frogs
Ruby and the Rednecks
Hudson Dusters
and many more surprise guests

Posted by joly | July 19, 2008 1:05 PM

If you can't make it to the Siren Festival, there is a live video stream of the main stage here:

Posted by Herbert Gambill | July 19, 2008 1:09 PM

You spelled Daltr(e)y wrong, friendo.

Posted by Anonymous | July 19, 2008 1:36 PM

services
flaming fire
sigmund droid

@ union pool, 8 pm, 21+, $6

Posted by fire me | July 19, 2008 1:49 PM

It is way too hot for me to stand in the crazy heat all day like all the other shlubs and their girlfriends.But my gf is reporting to me from SF.

Posted by pickle | July 19, 2008 1:58 PM

Vic Ruggiero (of The Slackers) and The Mighty Fine
Plus: DJs Glen Pine and Agent Jay of The Slackers

Tonight, 8PM @ Southpaw, Brooklyn

Posted by ba ba boom time! | July 19, 2008 2:12 PM

THESE ARE POWERS are playing @ Silent Barn tonight

Posted by Anonymous | July 19, 2008 2:19 PM

does anyone know what time yaz(oo) is scheduled to go on tonight?

Posted by Anonymous | July 19, 2008 2:29 PM

I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you can't savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments.

Posted by theJoker | July 19, 2008 2:48 PM

Jonny Douchbag (Leather) uses his bare fists!

Posted by Anonymous | July 19, 2008 2:56 PM

I'll be at Cavelera Conspiracy show tonight. I won tix from Vintage Vinyl with Vip passes/ meet and greet with the cavelera brothers. yay. It's my first metal show since April.

Posted by Star Child | July 19, 2008 4:45 PM

Cavalera Conspiracy is misspelled.

Posted by Anonymous | July 19, 2008 4:50 PM

1:58 - did your gf report to you how she blew me during these are powers' set?

Posted by Anonymous | July 19, 2008 4:57 PM

yaz go on at 830. they start with "nobody's diary," do almost everything from upstairs at erics and a bit too much from the 2nd album, done by 10.

Posted by Anonymous | July 19, 2008 5:16 PM

FYI: Crystal Stilts will also be playing w/Girls, Nite Jewel and Rings @ Glasslands Gallery tonight.
I heart Rings.

Posted by Christopher | July 19, 2008 5:41 PM

USAISAMONSTER show says something about 'secret Sireners'... anyone know who? and if anyone else from Siren Fest is playing some late late shows tonight?

ps: siren fest was pretty solid. looking forward to the Ra Ra Riot pics and the totally inappropriate comments towards them.

Posted by Anonymous | July 19, 2008 10:23 PM

Siren = awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | July 19, 2008 10:28 PM

Ra Ra Riot and the dodos were awesome today!

Posted by Anonymous | July 19, 2008 10:30 PM

Ra Ra Riot were ex ex excellent. So psyched to see the crowd even cheering their announcement of their album release date.

Posted by Anonymous | July 19, 2008 10:40 PM

Nice guys and they do good interviews...

Posted by P. Caldwell | July 19, 2008 10:48 PM

Anon 10:23 PM: I would totally fuck the Cellist from Ra Ra Riot. Chick looked hot as hell today.

Posted by Anonymous | July 19, 2008 10:53 PM

was it hot at Siren?

Posted by Anonymous | July 19, 2008 10:54 PM

i just went for malkmus and luckily the sun wasn't out anymore. i couldn't be bothered to stand in the sun for all those shitty ass bands.

Posted by Anonymous | July 19, 2008 10:55 PM

10:24- like a bastard. There was the occasional gust of wind, though, and it either cooled down later on or I got used to it.

Posted by Anonymous | July 19, 2008 10:56 PM

Helio Sequence was great. Beach House was...awkward.

Posted by Anonymous | July 19, 2008 10:58 PM

did malkmus play any pavement?

Posted by Anonymous | July 19, 2008 11:07 PM

i'm going to make this pencil disappear

Posted by Anonymous | July 19, 2008 11:08 PM

I got to Coney Island at 6 and there was a light sea breeze goin' so it was definitely more tolerable than it was inland. Caught Helio Sequence and BSS and enjoyed both sets although BSS could've played a bit longer.

Posted by Anonymous | July 19, 2008 11:09 PM

no they couldn't have. there was a curfew. hence the curtailing of the anarchy. please prepare for a 100 post long argument about this on BV in about an hour and over the course of the next three days.

Posted by Anonymous | July 19, 2008 11:13 PM

I figured as much re: curfew...let me rephrase that...BSS should've had more time, perhaps started earlier. (Better?)

Posted by Anonymous | July 19, 2008 11:29 PM

speaking of bands playing a bit longer...what was up with the dodos just playing four songs? from what i remember they only played new song(?), paint the rust, jody, and the season. it only made me happier that i went show at the cake shop.

Posted by Anonymous | July 19, 2008 11:34 PM

cellist from RRR = most fuckable band member ever.

Posted by Anonymous | July 19, 2008 11:58 PM

let's keep these comments rolling, i'm almost there.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2008 12:02 AM

Yeah, I thought BSS were disappointing. I know you guys have some solo albums out, but no "Almost Crimes" and no "Anthems?" (No permanent female singer either, but still!) I guess that's just how festivals work, but playing for two hours at Merc (reported here) and barely playing for an hour tonight...sadface.

Posted by Roland | July 20, 2008 12:13 AM

They probably should never let Canning sing unless he's singing backing vox.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2008 12:50 AM

BSS manage to be both dull and overblown at the same time. You're lucky to have been subjected to only an hour of them. (Of course, if you had any sense you'd be seeing Malkmus.)

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2008 12:52 AM

best part of the night was seeing the blood red moon rising out of the sea.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2008 1:16 AM

The Dodos played The Ball at Siren, which they didn't at Cake Shop.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2008 1:45 AM

bv commenters make me want to vomit

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2008 4:06 AM

i'll second 4:06, kids need some more to keep you busy than talking about which band had the most f'able cellist...

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2008 4:32 AM

i'm sorry, 4:06, i'm not into that...

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2008 8:01 AM

@10:53 wrote:

>fuck the Cellist

someone wanna grab that for their next band name?

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2008 8:50 AM

malkmus and islands were both great. after islands finished... I was able to get right up front for malk... he played a great set. no pavement... but he did close with "two tickets to paradise", which was actually much better than it sounds.

Posted by wembley | July 20, 2008 10:05 AM

Sic Alps at DBA last night was amazing, sweaty... the Girls at Glasslands also really good.

And I thought BSS @ Siren were great.

Posted by bill p | July 20, 2008 10:20 AM

yeah, bss was great despite getting the short set time. they only played three solo tunes [kevin's was great] and that version of ibi dreams was fucking amazing, so stop whining that you'd rather see malkmus play a thirty minute version of "no more shoes" instead.

also, jaguar love is the worst fucking band of all time. and that includes their predecessor the blood brothers.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2008 10:51 AM

The Helio Sequence were the best band of the day in my opinion..... Benjamin Weikel's one of the most interesting drummers I've seen in ages..... Beach House sounded great but the environment was totally wrong..... Only caught the last two BSS songs, but it looked like they were fun and sounded good..... Malkmus was great as always, but did anyone notice the crowd thinning when he started playing his newer songs?

Oh, yeah..... Jaguar Love were horrible.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2008 11:55 AM

The Dodos were good, but what was up with their ridiculously short set?? I was anticipating their set the most yesterday.....

I loved how their vibraphone player would just pop up from behind the vibes like a little whack-a-mole.....

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2008 11:58 AM

Please you dont have a clue. BSS fuckin killed it even though they probably should've played a longer set. But the set they did play was great. If you don't think they were good, you just don't have good taste. period.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2008 12:34 PM

yeah - broken social scene were ridiculous last night. the best i've seen them since that ginormous proper webster hall show

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2008 1:09 PM

I'm sorry, but BSS just aren't the same without a chick up there to do backing vocals/"Almost Crimes," "Anthems," "Shoreline"/dance around sexily. Otherwise, there's too many disheveled dudes in beards, so you need the female presence to counteract.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2008 2:44 PM

I haven't really listened much to BSS' records but damn, did they ever kill it live! Being a fan makes you a little biased so when they don't play for more than an hour, I understand how some of you guys could be a little upset, but they rocked the hell out of their set with some awesome horns and a ton of energy and more than made up for the rest of the festival, which would have been okay-to-decent if it hadn't been for the sordid heat.

Parts for Labor were decent, Annuals kicked out some really nice melodies with their big pop tunes, Ra Ra Riot were pretty fun and dancy and Islands did what I expected them to.

Islands... huh... these guys confound me... Nick is so talented, such a good song-writer, yet he's also a total mook who doesn't do anything to its fullest. He came out out with a garbage can on his head, proceeded to skip the beginning to Humans with no rhyme or reason and the band proceeded to play a really, really sloppy set. I have a hard time defending these guys, they're one of my favorite bands yet they take a ton of time to set up, they act like assholes when they do, and then when they finally get to playing the set they sound like a band that joined up together yesterday. I'm normally not the type to just bash, but the only guys who should be in this band are the brothers Chow, Patrice and Nick, all really talented musicians who are playing with guys way out of their league.

Posted by Sam | July 20, 2008 4:45 PM

Also... if anybody remembers, what was the setlist to BSS? After listening to BSS, and piecing together these comments, I know there was IBI, KC Accidental, think there was Cause = Time, and 3 solo tunes.

Posted by Sam | July 20, 2008 4:57 PM

Here's your answer to the setlist question, 4:57: http://www.flickr.com/photos/twi-ny/2685877358/

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2008 9:32 PM

Posted by Anonymous | July 21, 2008 2:22 AM

Beach House was surprisingly good... I didn't know how they would pull off playing an outdoor show in front of loud obnoxious people, but they did it well... I was very happy to hear Heart of Chambers.

Broken Social Scene were great. Like one of the other comments above, I haven't really listened to much of their stuff - only You Forgot it in People, but they were awesome live.

The Dodos and The Helio Sequence were great as well. Jaguar Love was horrible. Hoooorrrrible.

And those are all the bands I caught.

Posted by Paul | July 21, 2008 8:45 AM

"didn't they play one more after Ibi? I think there are some missing from that list."

They closed with It's All Gonna Break.

Posted by Anonymous | July 21, 2008 8:58 AM

Also, does anyone know the name of the last song The Helio Sequence played?

Posted by Paul | July 21, 2008 9:09 AM

"Also, does anyone know the name of the last song The Helio Sequence played?"

They covered Tomorrow Never Knows. I think that was the set closer.

Posted by Anonymous | July 21, 2008 3:05 PM