Posted in pictures | video on August 9, 2008

photos by Kyle Dean Reinford

Underworld @ APW

I would have loved to have been at APW all day Friday (8/8/08), but I knew a more realistic goal would be to get there in time for Underworld which I was still late for. I did catch a little though, and I filmed the below video so you can see a little bit of what it's like there in Liberty State Park at the festival (while listening to a very popular song being performed live)...

Underworld @ APW

Underworld @ APW

ALL Points West, Born Slippy

Radiohead performed on the same stage after Underworld. Radiohead also dedicated their final song ("Everything In Its Right Place") to Underworld.

question -- anyone know how far the parking lots (official lots via ticketmaster) are from the actual site?

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2008 4:17 AM

pretty close.

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2008 7:34 AM

they're pretty close, but good luck trying to drive out when 30,000 people pour out into the street after the show.

Posted by jason | August 9, 2008 8:20 AM

I totally respect Underworld but their vibe just didn't work in the daylight and yes...they sound a bit dated now. Like him or hate him, it took Girl Talk to create a party vibe, whereas with Underworld, I fealt like I was paying tribute to electronic/dance sounds and ideas gone *WAY* by.

Posted by blackhat | August 9, 2008 8:42 AM

fuck! I just watched trainspotting I had no idea that this song was Underworld, wouldve checked them out! ah well

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2008 9:57 AM

It was worth it to see underworld just to listen to born slippery and hump your neighbor like the scene in trainspotting.

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2008 10:39 AM

damn! it must have only been those with VIP tickets that were allowed to hump their neighbor, cause when I tried, she called for security..

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2008 10:41 AM

then i guess you really weren't allowed.

better luck with your next attempt at humor.

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2008 10:56 AM

@Anon10:39 - And not to be an ass but it's "Born SLIPPY"

Posted by blackhat | August 9, 2008 11:53 AM

underworld in the broad daylight, good call APW/AEG!

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2008 12:58 PM

underworld during the day is a travesty...fuck that shit.

and to the poster who said theyre more nostalgic than relevant, i dont agree. i do miss this great band.

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2008 1:21 PM

Underworld is still relevant. They influence the sound of the knife and radiohead--yorke dedicated everything in its right place to underworld last night. and they should never play in the daylight just like the bands they influenced. The underworld sound will be important because it may be the answer to the electro banger saturation.

Posted by alfonso | August 9, 2008 1:41 PM

Just to clarify, I never said Underworld are not influential or important...they clearly are and anyone who knows anything about the history of modern electronic music should know that. I purposely chose to go to APW on Friday, as opposed to Saturday, just to see Underworld. However, you can be both influential and important and still sound dated, which unfortunately in my opinion, Underworld did yesterday. Kraftwerk is an example of an older greatly influential electronic artist that seems to always dodge this problem. And it sure as fuck doesn't help your cause when you're forced to perform your nocturnally-minded music in broad open daylight.

Posted by blackhat | August 9, 2008 2:01 PM

Radiohead -> Underworld makes so much sense that APW obviously had to do the complete opposite and have Born Slippy playing when the sun is blaring right in your face. It's downright embarassing.

Posted by zik | August 9, 2008 4:45 PM

Thanks for the video tour.

Posted by drewo | August 9, 2008 8:19 PM

they obviously couldn't have had radiohead during the day though. it'd be cool if they could've headlined the second day because animal collective -> underworld could've been sweet.

I was bummed that I missed underworld, but both andrew bird and girl talk were playing at the same time.

I caught half of both sets and they were great.

Posted by jesse | August 10, 2008 12:10 AM

Thanks so much for your video! You caught my friends and freaking out in the bleachers. Underworld's set was phenomenal. 5 drink minimum my ass. All you needed was some sunblock and voila, a fresh hand for a new wristband. By the time they took the stage it didn't matter the sun was still up. They were perfect at sunset.

Posted by origamiart | August 11, 2008 1:00 AM

radiohead dedicated the pyramid song to them, not everything in its right place.
anyway, both of them were fantastic.

Posted by Anonymous | August 11, 2008 3:06 AM

why did it look so freakin empty during their set??
i saw them during their residency at the roundhouse in london and it was insane.

Posted by a | August 11, 2008 10:14 AM

it wasnt empty, the person who made the video was far far away!i was lucky to be close to the stage and we couldnt move, it was so crowded and incredible, people dancing, rocking out! underworld was the highlite for me, definitely!!

Posted by nikkinikita | August 11, 2008 1:43 PM