Posted in music | tour dates on August 21, 2008

Bad Brains (HR) on a Rocks Off Cruise in 2007 (more)
Bad Brains on a boat

Bad Brains have three upcoming shows that I know about. The first is soon - September 2nd in Chicago. They're opening for N.E.R.D. at House of Blues. The "presented by Converse" show is on sale.

One of the other upcoming shows was just announced. That's November 9th at Fun Fun Fun Fest in Austin. I hoped Bad Brains would follow that up with a NYC show announcement, and they did. Tickets will go on presale (PASSWORD=fans) on Friday at 10am for a November 6th show at Irving Plaza.

But that's not all... HR is also doing his own show back on a Rocks Off Boat cruise around NYC. The date is September 8th and tickets are on sale. I can't imagine exactly what that will be like, but at the very least the boat offers good views of the waterfalls... All dates below...

Bad Brains - 2008 Tour Dates
09/02 - Chicago, IL, House Of Blues w/ N.E.R.D.
09/08 - New York, NY, Rocks Off Concert Cruise (HR only - not a Bad Brains show)
11/06 - New York, NY, Fillmore NY at Irving Plaza
11/09 - Austin, TX, Waterloo Park (Fun Fun Fun Fest)

last year at the "Riotfest" in Chicago, the band was tight as hell. HR, however, was off his rocker. he practically ruined the show by singing all the lyrics a measure or six behind the rest of the band. definitely one of the best HC bands ever but dude needs to hang it up. sorry

Posted by Anonymous | August 21, 2008 1:13 PM

oh, great, they've gone religious...

Posted by snappy! | August 21, 2008 1:23 PM

the people who need to hang it up are the ones expecting to see a schizo in his 50s act how he did when he was in his 20s. HR has earned a pass to go on with the bad brains as long as he wants to. the shows these days are still very entertaining, only for different reasons. there's few things better than watching an old weirdo bum-out a crowd of 19 year old hardcore kids. now that's fucking awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | August 21, 2008 1:53 PM

I'm sure you're joking snappy! Bad Brains have always been religious pretty much from Day 1. The're not singing I Love I Jah for nothing.

Posted by blackhat | August 21, 2008 2:15 PM

note that we did not ask him to "act how he did when he was in his 20s." no backflips are expected from any 50 year old man. we were merely saying that it would be nice to hear the band play the songs and him sing the words.

this "pass" you speak of is somewhat silly. are we supposed to be entertained because he can't keep it together due to schizophrenia? the entertainment we want is them playing their classic songs with HR singing them.

Posted by army of 19 year old hardcore kids | August 21, 2008 3:16 PM

and that's what you get.

Posted by Anonymous | August 21, 2008 4:26 PM

HR is a living legend. A true American original. He can do whatever he wants.

Posted by Anonymous | August 21, 2008 6:57 PM

Is the Bad Brains show with HR on vocals or Israel Joseph???

Posted by Anonymous | August 22, 2008 6:36 PM

HR

Posted by Anonymous | August 22, 2008 6:47 PM

I heard HR has new management, new band, and a new sound. I think the new album is coming out in October. I listened to their new song Hey Wella on Itunes and thought it was good. Hopefully we'll hear more music like this in the future

Posted by Marie | August 22, 2008 11:24 PM

HR IS a living legend - and it is amazing that he is still putting out great music. His shows are still awesome and entertaining, and people who have the chance to see him are watching an artist who has remained relevant in the music industry for over 25 years. He is the guy who influenced almost all the "big" or "relevant" punk artists from the 80's, 90's, and even today. People should give him a break, not all rumors are true. Try listening to one of his interviews today - he is actually very down to earth, and a gifted, BRILLIANT artist.

Posted by LA | August 22, 2008 11:25 PM

yea i dont know why so many people hate on h.r.,is it jelousy,envy ,racism?maybe all the above.the bad brains are living legends and h.r.is the godfather and so what if he just stands there at the show your at.evry band i see the singer just stands there.but because of h.r.s reputation and history people that dont have a clue expect him to go stagedive or somthing.just cause you missed out on the greatest live band in the world in the 80s,dont hate ona brother

Posted by o.g. | August 23, 2008 1:07 AM

It's not that he doesn't stage dive. He just can't sing very well any more. I've seen Bad Brains many times, in the 80's, 90's and recently at the CBGB's shows before it closed,and I can tell you that he has pretty much lost his voice. But I am enough of a fan to still see an amazing band live, despite HR's lack of interest and seriously...his weak voice.

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2008 12:39 PM

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2008 6:19 PM

QUOTE:

------------------

HAHAH you are my HERO!

Posted by tth | September 3, 2008 5:13 PM

I just saw the Bad brains @ the house of Blues this past Tuesday. dude! the crowd was about 99.5 percent there for N.E.R.D. I was like one of the only people showing love to the band. HR was a mess. He had on a bath robe over a suit with a motor cycle helmet on. you couldn't even sing along with him, he was singing off tempo and way to low. It was bad. I was gonna show my son a legend, i ended up letting him see the 1982 DVD to make up for that crap.

Posted by CAT | September 5, 2008 2:37 AM

HaHaHa
You guys are so funny, I mean so am I, cos Im leaving a coment as well...we are all stupid, sorry guys, but sometimes we haveto accept that we are sooo stupid, ... None of us has learned that message yet,...Or havent used it yet...hahaha we can keep judging HR and forget about your own life, or we can keep watching bad brains and follow their stories and see whats gonna happen at the end, is H.R a schizo? is bad brains father of all punk bands? can H.R sing anymore? what about their religion? they dont even act as they used to do!!! did I waste my whole life following their message, positive attitude? hehehe or shall I go and buy a THINK AND GROW RICH book? I heard they wanna make money out of sneakers, I wanted to show my son that I've been listening to legends, but I failed, THey are great band, They suck!, they are legends, they are psychos! SHUT UP
everybody, including me hahahahaha
Im outa here and we;ve all got that PMA guys!!! we might be sometimes stupid, but I guess thats not the point, we are all filled with love and we will live this life with positive mental attitude
cheers

Posted by poya | September 5, 2008 10:37 PM

it smells funny in here

Posted by pma hole | September 7, 2008 2:40 AM

oreo spit sandwiches. bloodclot's book is amazing. HR saved his life. overstand. babylon must fall. seen?

Posted by Anonymous | September 7, 2008 8:17 AM

what is the deal with the hr shows solo - anyone seen it yet? he is coming to harppers ferry in alston, ma. a must see ??

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2008 10:42 AM

wow. I'm scared of Poya (who must be smoking the same cosmic space-dust as our man HR).

Whatever--as long as he's happy, right?

whew.

I and I indeed...

Posted by Jordan Catalano | September 8, 2008 8:15 PM

Im about 2 go awol from a rehab to go to the show Nov 6th

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2008 5:21 PM

He is CRAZY and attacks innocent fans to say the very least. I guess he is trying to make a come back but he is still dangerous

Posted by Julie | October 17, 2008 1:21 PM

HR and Bad Brains are apart of Music History, they're living legends!! They rock 4 light

Posted by anaoy | March 13, 2009 3:48 PM

The band admitted HR suffers from mental health issues.

He'll never be like he was say 20 years ago.

There were signs he didn't want to sing like on the albums when they reformed 10 years ago.
He can still sing, he has changed the way he does.

It's a gamble going to see them now as you don't know how HR will perform.
But at least they are still around and maybe they'll do another album sometime.

Posted by James B | May 26, 2009 12:11 PM