Posted in MP3 | To Do | music | tour dates | video on August 20, 2008

by Bill Pearis

DOWNLOAD: Patrick Bower - See Ya When We See Ya (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Amazing Baby - Head Dress (MP3)

a version of Amazing Baby
Amazing Baby

Wednesday (8/20) has so many good NYC show options it's criminal. Top of the list for me is probably Seattle's BOAT at Union Hall, who (as listed in last week's post) played a great show on Sunday at Cake Shop, one of the most fun shows I've been to all year. Add locals My Teenage Stride to the Union Hall bill and I would say it's a can't miss, but... there's also The Muslims at Union Pool; Vivian Girls/BFF at Death by Audio; and week two of Passion Pit's residency at Pianos (to which there are still tickets, so much for my own McGee-esque overblown hyperbole).

If you do go to Pianos, might I suggest you sneak upstairs beforehand to catch Patrick Bower. He fronts one of my favorite local bands, World Without Magic, but has also just completed a solo album, Beach Closed, which will be out in September. His solo band (at least at this show) will feature members of The End of the World, The Art of Shooting and Daylight's for the Birds. You can hear a couple tracks from Beach Closed on Patrick's MySpace and you can download an MP3 above, and watch a video for the song further down this post.

Grand Archives
Grand Archives

This Friday's Seaport Music Festival show should be a good one -- Grand Archives and Violens. Grand Archives' debut has been a real grower for me, one that I find myself listening to a lot. The CSNY vibe to the music really works, they put on a pretty good live show too and make room for choice covers. I like them more than their Sub Pop labelmates Fleet Foxes, but that's just me. And I'm anxious to catch Violens again, not having seen them play since May. I've worn out their three-song EP, though "Trance-Like Turn" (from a Green Owl Records compilation, video below) is their best song yet.

For those Brooklyn Vegan readers in the UK, Violens are opening for MGMT in November. Also playing those MGMT shows will be Amazing Baby, who remain my favorite new NYC band of 2008. That would be a hard tour to pass up if I lived over there, even though I'd say the headliner is the weakest live band of the three.

Amazing Baby also play this Friday (Aug 22) at Market Hotel where there is apparently open bar (Colt 45) all night long. I've seen them four times now -- each time a slightly different line-up but always good. Speaking of good and free, you should download Amazing Baby's Infinite Fucking Cross EP from their website. There's also an even newer song for download on top of this post. It's the same song they perform live in the video below (where you'll also find tour dates and other videos too).....

(Video: Amazing Baby, "Head Dress" at Union Pool, 8/16/2008)

Amazing Baby

Amazing Baby - 2008 Tour Dates
AUG 22 - Market Hotel, Brooklyn, NYC (open bar)
AUG 30 - Bowery Ballroom, New York w/ Does It Offend You Yeah
SEPT 15 - Music Hall of Williamsburg, Brooklyn w/ A Place To Bury Strangers
NOV 05 - Leeds Academy *
NOV 06 - Nottingham Rock City *
NOV 07 - Bristol Academy *
NOV 09 - Glasgow Barrowlands *
NOV 10 - Birmingham Academy *
NOV 11 - Manchester Academy *

* w/ MGMT & Violens

Violens - "Trance-Like Turn"

This Saturday: the Bailterspace show at Bowery Ballroom.

Patrick Bower - "See ya When We See Ya" video

Patrick Bower - 2008 Tour Dates
Aug 20 - Pianos New York City, New York
Sep 2 - Black Betty Brooklyn, New York
Sep 27 - Record Release Show! Brooklyn, New York

BOAT at Cake Shop - "Period Backlash Colon"

Boat - 2008 Tour Dates
Aug 20 - Union Hall (w/ Creeping Weeds) Brooklyn, New York
Aug 21 - The Lantern (w/ Creeping Weeds) Blacksburg, Virginia
Aug 22 - Brillobox w/Creeping Weeds Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Aug 23 - Schuba's (w/Creeping Weeds) Chicago, Illinois
Sep 5 - Music Fest NW Portland, OR

COMING TO NYC SOON
* Glasvegas
* Springhouse

Amazing Baby is the best band ever to come out of NYC, period.

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2008 12:05 PM

really? what makes them so great? i'm actually curious.

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2008 12:11 PM

their sweet duds obviously.

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2008 12:20 PM

how many incarnations of amazing baby have there been? I think I've seen two different lineups. Any details?

Posted by McG | August 20, 2008 12:22 PM

duds?

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2008 12:27 PM

whats the deal with this vivian girls show, it says it starts @ 8, what time do they go on????

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2008 12:29 PM

amazing baby's show is at 9pm. what time do they actually go on?

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2008 12:33 PM

Violens was somewhat of a letdown at the MHOW show w/ Grizzly Bear. Enjoyable music, but a little more pop than I expected- kind of late 80's early 90's, chanelling spandeau ballet. Wimpy crowd presence too. Better home listening for me.

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2008 12:58 PM

@McG,

One show had backup singers; one had Leah and no backup singers; that MHoW pool party after show had neither Leah or backup singers, and this past Saturday's show had the return of the backup singers but a new bassist. The girl who was playing with them is now guitarist for Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson... but she was at the show singing along to all the songs.

The backup singers give the band a Roxy Music vibe. I won't say they *make* the band, but maybe they complete the package. AB don't really sound like any other current NYC band. That I've seen, at least. I guess what impressed me the first time I saw them (was there to see Violens, had no idea who AB were) was that they seemed to arrive fully-formed. Had their sound figured out. And they could really play.

I reviewed Saturday's show (with The Blacks and Suckers) over my way:

Posted by bill p | August 20, 2008 1:03 PM

saw BOAT in philly at johnny brendas and i was really impressed. had never heard them before. plus they have cool baseball cards!

Posted by bee | August 20, 2008 1:10 PM

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2008 1:20 PM

"this photo makes me want to punch a baby. one from the band or really any baby that is available to be punched."

Maybe you should seek help then

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2008 1:27 PM

Tight jeans like those make my nuts hurt.

Posted by A | August 20, 2008 1:32 PM

what time is vivian girls...are they good liveZ?ZZ??

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2008 1:33 PM

Market hotel show probably won't start until AT LEAST 10:30. Only reason to show up early would be fear of running out of free alcohol, which wasn't a concern at all last open bar show there, but this seems much more promoted.

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2008 1:39 PM

those guys need some goddamned vegan ice cream, stat!!!

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2008 1:43 PM

Patrick Bower?

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2008 1:58 PM

Blackbetty has great food!

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2008 1:59 PM

YAwnnnn........

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2008 2:04 PM

those dudes in the first pick look gay

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2008 2:53 PM

ha. no actually they dont look gay. the just look douchey.

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2008 2:54 PM

great, another hipster band that isn't doing anything new. they'll be huge in 6 months, right?

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2008 3:19 PM

boo

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2008 3:59 PM

Amazing Baby are a bit misrepresented. This band is not brand new, its the band Stylofone, redressed with some new faces.
http://www.myspace.com/Stylofone .

Stylofone were pretty established to begin with, so Im sure Amazing
Baby is still using their press contacts from back then.

with that being said, I enjoy some of their tunes on myspace, but the Youtube video sucks. The whole show really looks like an old and tired rock and roll show.

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2008 4:00 PM

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2008 4:07 PM

"but the Youtube video sucks. The whole show really looks like an old and tired rock and roll show."

I don't think the Youtube sucks, but then again it's a Youtube video??? What do you expect to gain from it besides a small taste? Also what do you expect more than a rock and roll show? Magic tricks?

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2008 4:09 PM

Anon 4:07 gets the highly-sought after (or not?) award for making a rational, sound post on BV. Well done.

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2008 4:15 PM

"BOAT are a really great act. As far as this Amazing Baby, they are another symptom of our ADD-minded society.....yet another "hip and well-marketed" band on a rapid rise that will be yesterday's news within 2 years. "

Try to enjoy yourself.

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2008 4:19 PM

You can enjoy yourself and at the same time not be a complete tool who won't like a band unless they wear their little sisters' jeans. Fuck this band. Go back to Omaha.

Posted by Someone Who Enjoys Himself | August 20, 2008 4:48 PM

I think they happen to look stylish.

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2008 5:14 PM

Patrick Bower, wow, this guy is cool.

Posted by chris | August 20, 2008 6:19 PM

Thats right 4:09, thanks for stating the obvious and assuming I dont know that Youtube only gives you a small taste of band's live show (which btw I have seen them live before) and that I expect so much more from a rock show. The whole video was unimpressive; the guitarist showing off his soloing skills and all the other guys just pounding on their instruments. It may not have been a bad live show, but what I am saying I was not seeing anything new but just the typical rock and roll stances.

Just my opinion.

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2008 6:42 PM

Patrick Bower is awesome. So is The World Without Magic. AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME.

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2008 7:57 PM

ALSO: Eric Shaw, the artist whose show is opening at Market Hotel Friday, makes amazing art. ALSO ALSO: I am not Eric Shaw or Patrick Bower.

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2008 8:07 PM

Also also, eric shaw's art doesn't look -that- amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2008 9:27 PM

Anyway, last night's show at Union Pool was perfect. BOAT and Creeping Weeds were terrific and fit well together and My Teenage Stride were absolutely great- kind of like Brian Eno beating the shit out of The Smiths, and pretty different from the former two. Great night. I bought CDs from all three bands.

Posted by chris | August 21, 2008 12:13 PM

Hey Chris...you mean you went to Union Hall last night right? The Muslims and Howlies played Union Pool last night. The Muslims had some cool atonal elements of The Fall that I was really digging.

Posted by blackhat | August 21, 2008 12:33 PM

YES, Union HALL. I always fucking do that.

Posted by chris | August 21, 2008 1:42 PM

vegan ice cream sux

Posted by klags | August 22, 2008 11:10 AM

where is the market hotel?

Posted by Anonymous | August 22, 2008 2:06 PM

Market Hotel is in Bushwick, Brooklyn. What time does Amazing Baby actually go on? Their myspace page says 9:00pm. But I'm guess they don't start till at least 10:00pm? I wanted to head over after the South Street Seaport Show and that isn't over until 10pm.

Posted by Anonymous | August 22, 2008 2:25 PM

the backup singers sound like crapp compared to the blonde girl, everyone says she just looks good (yes she is gorgous) but she happens to sing better than the two frumpy jazz girls. they have no soul. what happened? anybody? i stopped seeing them or caring since she stopped performing or appearring in the fotos. it is her on the recordins yes? ciao

Posted by andreas san luiso | September 12, 2008 6:09 PM