Posted in music | pictures on August 3, 2008

photos by Lori Baily

Brian Jonestown Massacre

Months ago, when tickets went on sale for the Brian Jonestown Massacre's only U.S. show this summer (at New York's Terminal 5), I said to someone I was trying to persuade to go, "This could be a complete disaster, or it could be transcendent." Those are the poles they swing between: the train wreck or the sublime. And of course, with the news from London last week that Anton Newcombe had been arrested for allegedly knifing guitarist Frankie "Teardrop" Emerson, the odds seemed to tilt toward disaster. Five minutes into the opening song, "Whoever You Are," we had the answer to what was in store for us: The Brian Jonestown Massacre were transcendent. [Tulip Frenzy]
Brian Jonestown's next area show will be upstate at the ATP Festival. More pics from the NYC show below...

opener Singapore Sling...

Brian Jonestown...

we love you, Lori Baily

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2008 1:54 AM

The pictures on this post are just unbelievable. But i cant say for the info pretty sad what the frontman did.

Posted by John | August 3, 2008 2:26 AM

Eh, the pics aren't so great. I'm sure the show was though.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2008 2:29 AM

Is that Tony Visconti? What's his connection to BJM?

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2008 7:28 AM

Is that Joel Gion? When did he rejoin the band?

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2008 9:48 AM

yeah, was wondering the same thing about Visconti

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2008 10:20 AM

Transcendent? What is transcendent about a weak-ass brit rip-off loser who is only known for how much of a fuck up he is? The only reason I don't want that guy to kill himself is because of idiots like "tulip frenzy" who will try to put him in some legendary league with Hendrix and Cobain.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2008 10:24 AM

Joel Gion was fired from Taco Bell. He rejoined.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2008 10:27 AM

joooooooooooel was there?

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2008 10:54 AM

i bet this was better than vampire weekend, even though i wasnt there...

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2008 11:01 AM

I agree these photos suck. Really terrible lighting for my "first three songs, no flash". Also, be aware of the rule that when you say my photos suck, you must mention how nice I am.

Tony Visconti is a fan of BJM and had a long chat with Anton and Joel, both were very sweet and seemed so happy talking to fans and signing things.

Posted by lori | August 3, 2008 11:12 AM

we like the photos without flash, and we like you.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2008 11:19 AM

...I thought they were really good, I had never seen them before and left very impressed...anyone who was there, do you think that the show could have gone any longer if that guy at the end hadn't told Anton that he sucked (when he screwed up the song) because he seemed to just kind of leave after that song was done and the rest of the band was just kind of on stage...and the pictures are good too...

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2008 12:27 PM

the pictures are good, it is the band that sucks...and the photographer does sound like a nice guy....much unlike that anton guy. What a joke

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2008 10:48 PM

these guys look like shit. they probably feel like it too.

joel gion looks like the poster boy for hepatitis c. jesus, rock n roll really killed these mother fuckers.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2008 9:48 AM

Canadian Tuxedos abound...

Posted by Blue Diamond Phillips | August 4, 2008 11:55 AM

I have seen him live, he has pointed a gun towards my way.
But Anton is very nice when you are sitting next to him, drinking a pint.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2008 12:00 PM

Posted by Anonymous | August 11, 2008 11:44 AM

That's Will Caruthers on bass!!!

Posted by Anonymous | September 19, 2008 7:40 PM

You gotta be kidding me - this band should have died before they ever got started, or they should at least have been named something accurate like "Everything that was wrong with the shit-ass 90s." My old band opened for these guys back in the day and I was excited to hear them, based on the buzz - boy was I disappointed. I'll admit I was entertained, and I'll give them this: they weren't mediocre (nothing worse than that!) - at the least, they were downright horrible, and that can be damned good fun to watch. No fights or anything to liven up the sodden mess that time, but still...

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2009 12:40 AM

...at least they've updated their sorry-ass clothes in the intervening years - although I see that homeboy #2 still only knows how to bang his dumb-ass tambourine in 4/4 rhythm.

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2009 12:43 AM

the show was great, ive got some pics too, didnt here the guy tell anton that he sucked but i asked the lady behind the counter why the show was short and she said that all terminal 5 shows need to get out by a certain time, thats why they were so good with time like opening and such. i admit the show wasnt the best but it was good nonetheless, only problem was that damn drum machine song goin "damn mutha fucka now i need to get high" not one of my favorites, all in all a good show. especially loved when joels one singing song he was at the bar, thats rocknfuckinroll

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 8:35 AM

I had no idea that it was even possible for music to sound so unbearable until these ass clowns miraculously found enough people almost as dumb as themselves to give them enough money to emerge out of the deepest anal cavity of unoriginality. Scrratch that. They ARE origional. Nobody else can suck quite like they can. Nobody is a complete narrcisistic cunt quite like Anton Nubcock. Their laughable existence as mildly amusing and heavily deluded idiots has long since run its course, and at this point is as tired and worn out as the first Chuck Norris joke. I sure hope Anton the "Smart Genious" doesn't read this then come to my house and break his hardcore motherfucking sitar over my head and get BLOOD FROM PEOPLES FACES all over him.

Posted by Anonymous | March 23, 2011 11:54 PM

April Sandmeyer's image, onstage with Brian Jonestown Massacre, at Terminal 5, behind Anton Newcombe, can barely be made out in the first photo. I wonder if the backstage incident had anything to do with Anton stabbing Frankie Teardrop Emerson shortly after that show or if it pushed Frankie and Louise to marry within a few months of all the drama!

Posted by Rolling Stone | May 30, 2013 2:00 AM