Posted in hiphop | music | pictures on August 4, 2008

photos by Bao Nguyen, words by Chase Turner

Kanye West @ Lollapalooza

Kanye West closed out the 2008 Lollapalooza Festival on Sunday (Augst 3, 2008) to a sold out crowd on the south end of Grant Park in his hometown of Chicago. West started just a few minutes after the billed start time of 8:30 PM and performed for the noticeably young crowd until 10 PM on the dot.

The act consisted of West with full backing band, a number of drummers and back-up singers, and a Daft Punk-helmeted guitarist. The musical arrangements were well put together, with a good balance of orchestral elements and electro flourishes (vocoder effects on the back-up singers were a nice touch). We had high hopes for the visuals, but unfortunately the light presentation left a bit to be desired.

Kanye West @ Lollapalooza

The most bizarre yet not unexpected moment came when West waxed philosophical about progress, comparing his own success in music to that of the evolution of the computer from the 1970s to today's computers the size of phones. This was after we were instructed to tell our unborn children about this particular concert experience. One can be a pop icon without resorting to talking about it constantly or comparing oneself to past legends (Jimi Hendrix, James Brown) as West did tonight.

For all of West's vanity, he still puts on a decent show, and you really recognize the extent of his reach when you know the words to every song he plays. The setlist, and more pictures, below....

Kanye West @ Lollapalooza

"For music fans, the allure of the city's "destination" music festival outweighed this summer's economic woes. Both of the evening's headliners, Chicago hip-hop megastar Kanye West and industrial rock godfathers Nine Inch Nails, pulled eager crowds. Neither audience was as destructive as those who smashed through a perimeter fence (and each other) during Rage Against the Machine's Saturday finale, although both groups certainly seemed more awake than Radiohead's reverent crowd Friday".
[Daily Herald]
Sounds like things turned out much better than Bonnaroo and no clothes were taken off and nobody was protesting.

Hopefully he is ok with this review.

Kanye plays Madison Square Garden in NYC (again) on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Lollapalooza setlist
Golddigger
Jesus Walks

encore
Hey Mama
Don't Stop Believing
Stronger

i put on for my city on on for my city i put on for my city on on for my city put onnnnnnnn

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2008 2:27 AM

Doooooooooouche.

He'd be ok if he didn't take himself so seriously.

Seriously.

Posted by jason | August 4, 2008 2:37 AM

putting him in the same sentence with james brown and jimi hendrix is a joke. kanye will be forgotten in 20 years. those two artists will be remembered for hundreds.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2008 3:04 AM

We are entering a new era....black man as the metaphor for something that I am too bored to think of.

Posted by dumb | August 4, 2008 5:02 AM

LOL @ lolla sets ending at 10pm. Is that every night? Or just the final night.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2008 7:46 AM

^^^Yes...you ARE dumb.

Posted by blackhat | August 4, 2008 7:47 AM

The comment "^^^Yes...you ARE dumb." was directed @dumb5:02...not you Anon7:46.

Yes...I believe the sets have to end at that time for curfew reasons.

Posted by blackhat | August 4, 2008 7:50 AM

DID HE BREAK HIS MAC BOOK AIR BEFORE THE SET?!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2008 8:31 AM

i love this arguement how this or that act will be forgotten in x number of years,

and YET, shit acts from 20 years ago keep on coming back and someone is constantly digging up obscure shit to play, so dont count on kanye or vivian girls or whoever ever being forgotten, people will be reading about this shit in a hundred years.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2008 8:47 AM

I live a block away from Grant Park, (the venue) love his music, but couldn't have been happier for this to be over. He just doesn't sound good live, and he is wayyyyyyyy to serious about why HE thinks HE is great. I can dig him, and his tunes, but that tude dude, why? And why did HIS media peeps keep yapping all over Chicago Barack would be there for this show. Do we really have to mix our already askewd politicians to support musical styles to impress Americans into voting? Glad Barack didn't "show up" as was "leaked" all over the city. Class is just that, and I believe he may have some hidden beneath his self absorbed bravado. Kanye that is. Barack should show us his political agenda, not his night out with pop/rap stars.

Just my opinion.

Posted by Lauralee | August 4, 2008 8:55 AM

I don't know the lyrics to any of his songs.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2008 9:04 AM

Kanye's arrogance just broke my Macbook Air...

Posted by JWeir | August 4, 2008 9:54 AM

So, what you're saying is that you missed Nine Inch Nails? Ouch.

Posted by Wayne | August 4, 2008 10:11 AM

YAY TIMPANI!

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2008 10:15 AM

KANYE IS A LOSER , he sux!!!

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2008 10:15 AM

At least you can see his band this time.

(He may be a dick, but he puts on a great show.)

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2008 10:26 AM

i don't give a shit about this. how was NIN?

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2008 11:28 AM

What time did the Butthole Surfers go on?

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2008 11:33 AM

dan deacon was there. he jumped on stage with kanye and pulled his groin muscle, he was airlifted to a hospital near by. there are rumors of him standing in line to get in santos party house.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2008 1:00 PM

At least Kanye didn't go overboard with the stage show and production. Jesus, the man makes Pink Floyd look like a bunch of wankers.

How long till knock offs of those retarded glasses he was wearing are on every street corner?

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2008 1:08 PM

WHERE WAS OBAMA AT? FURRY PUP?

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2008 1:43 PM

NIN rocked the house! PICTURES PLEASE.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2008 1:49 PM

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2008 7:57 PM

He is like the new MC Hammer. Can't wait to see him on reality TV with the drummer from Metallica, and some bimbo that will be famous in a year... Rock on Kanye!

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2008 8:33 PM

always hatin, hate hate hate. fuck y'all

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2008 9:22 PM

i like the last photo with the photoshopped black and white grainy look. good way to make bad photos look arty.

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2008 1:04 AM

Im pretty surprised that most people on this site are bashing kanye like this

Posted by Daniel | August 5, 2008 1:35 AM

"Best concert Ive ever been to"

Kanye, we ask you to stop writing about yourself...

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2008 9:16 AM

Oh, yeah, Kanye is one arrogant bastard, but he's good at what he does. I still dig his music. And! It's nice to have a rapper A) who's lyrics are decipherable, and B) who's not about f-ing his b*tches.

Posted by ellie | August 5, 2008 10:28 AM

I was at this show and have to say that Kanye West was a rock show. I don't like him at all, but I think it would have pleased all of y'all who like em. LOts of lights and fucking loud. I didn't understand a word he was saying.

Posted by paco | August 5, 2008 7:16 PM

i've been to quite a few festivals in my day and after a weekend filled with some great acts (explosions in the sky, BSS, Rogue Wave, Chromeo, a great Wilco show, and nothing needed to be said about radiohead) Kanye was surely the highlight of the weekend.
I know virtually nothing of Kanye's history with the media, but that show left nothing to be desired compared some of the best phish shows i've seen. the bar for both hip hop acts and rock bands has been raised. incredible.

Posted by mitch | August 6, 2008 1:09 AM

"Im pretty surprised that most people on this site are bashing kanye like this

I mean seriously I know this isn't a hip hop oriented audience but have any of you actually saw kanye live yesterday? Even NIN fans were leaving to watch Kanye. The sound of his show I heard even almost drowned their set during the show. Give the man some props, his set was dope last night. The energy was surreal. I Put On pretty much sealed the deal for me last night. Best concert Ive ever been to"

You're making that up, that didn't happen. At no point was the sound from one stage ever near loud enough to be heard clear across the park. No self respecting NIN fan would have left that stage either, you're making that part up too.

Also following NIN's set the crowd broke out into a chant of "KANYE SUCKS! KANYE SUCKS! KANYE SUCKS!"

It was awesome to hear that many people sharing the same opinion.

Posted by Alex | August 6, 2008 10:50 AM

I finally saw the Glow in the Dark spectacle last night at MSG. I really found it hard to not crack up at the ridiculousness of his entire production.

Between Kanye's terrible acting, the cheesy dialogue (Kayne, you're brightest star in the universe), Kanye feeling the asses of the ladies on the big screen behind him, Kanye talking to some overly large naked barbie doll hanging from the ceiling, kanye getting eaten by a dragon on stage... This elaborate stage show is the funniest non-intentional comedy I've ever witnessed.

and to see him "give it his all" by jumping around on stage and rolling on the floor... whatever man. call me a hater.

Posted by Anonymous | August 6, 2008 5:53 PM

Yo everyone!

Check out this video I found on AltitudeTV. It is a compilation of the whole Lollapalooza weekend!

Posted by Tom | August 7, 2008 5:18 PM

Lolla has to end at 10pm every night, its a city ordinance for outdoor festivals and concerts to end by then so people can sleep/work/do something other than listen to your shitty favorite band play late into the night/morning. How is that LOL worthy?
Its a densely populated city, not a field in the middle of bum fuck Tennessee.

Posted by Josh | August 8, 2008 12:48 PM

remember Bonnaroo? FUCK KANYE

Posted by casey jones | August 19, 2008 6:36 PM

From People magazine...Kanye with his Mac Airbook! It is fixed! Yes!

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2008 1:16 PM