Posted in music | tour dates on August 25, 2008

Mark KozelekMark Kozelek

Tickets are on sale for "A Solo Acoustic Performance of Mark Kozelek" at Music Hall of Williamsburg in Brooklyn on November 12th. All dates below...

Mark Kozelek - 2008 Tour Dates

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2008 5:30 PM

fucking awesome

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2008 5:32 PM

"fucking asshole"

details?

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2008 5:34 PM

i love this guy's music but seeing him at highline with that crowd was so unbearable...id much rather listen to his albums on my stereo.

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2008 6:04 PM

agreed in that highline was the worst possible venue for that show.

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2008 6:06 PM

Good music, but I would never want to see this guy in person. His attitude in interviews and performance reviews is pitiful

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2008 6:09 PM

I love Koz's music, but he is a straight up asshole. He doesn't hold back. At the last concert at Highline Ballroom he verbally abused this kid who was taking video of him. The kid wasn't even using flash or anything, and then he went after the kid for what seemed like a very uncomfortable 5 minutes, calling him "a dateless loser" and "someone with no friends." I've seen this same attitude at other concerts of his. He needs to get off his pompous high horse.

The first time I saw him do this, I said maybe he was just having a bad day, but I have seen it over and over again. I still really enjoy his music immensely, but it is hard to really embrace someone completely who doesn't respect his fans.

Posted by pants | August 25, 2008 6:22 PM

word.

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2008 6:25 PM

would much rather see him at music hall over highline

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2008 6:29 PM

I feel like maybe he turns awkwardness into asshole-ness when it comes to interacting with fans & media, which, consequently, determines how people see you outside of your music. I've had many dinners & talks with this guy, introduced him to many friends over beers, and never once had I seen this side of him until watching his live show at the Highline. Albeit humorous from my standpoint (not being the guy who was teased, being a friend who somewhat sort-of "gets" Mark), I can see how that "behavior" wouldn't be too popular with the bloggers. All's I know is Mark is one of the best people I've ever known. People form different personas for certain occasions. Don't act like you haven't.

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2008 6:34 PM

Oh, and to be fair, that kid was using flash and was in the front row, and all Mark said was, "You'd enjoy the show more without that," yet the kid continued to shoot. He gave the kid $50, too, right?

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2008 6:36 PM

Yes, I've seen Mark do this with flash photographers more than once and I'd like to say I TOTALLY SUPPORT HIM. I hate what's happened to live music now where you can barely see the performer because of the forest of arms in front of you holding their mobile phones aloft trying to take a crappy video they can stick on YouTube and get nerd points. I've actually been asked if I can keep still so I don't jog one of these arms.

Musicians are not climbing up on stage to pose for your camera. Imagine how off-putting that must be? And as for flash photography, it's totally understandable that some people would find that distracting while they're trying to put across a song, and maybe even enjoy the experience. Yes, some performers do enjoy making music.

I've also seen Mark play to an appreciative audience, and he's relaxed, humorous and chatty. You'll get the performance you deserve.

Posted by Nick O'Siris | August 26, 2008 6:10 AM

snoooozzzzzzzzzzzze

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2008 9:32 AM

"I can see how that "behavior" wouldn't be too popular with the bloggers."
------------

Yeah, or you know with "people" that aren't "assholes."

Posted by Louis Penis Cartographer | August 26, 2008 9:44 AM

I haven't seen him since the red house painters days.. does he perform any of their songs?

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2008 9:46 AM

some, but the setlists are predominantly stuff from this decade.

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2008 9:50 AM

i think he played 'all mixed up' at highline.

i agree with mr osiris...i think its lame and rude to whip out yr shitty camera and just document the show instead of enjoying it. ive never done this and its killing live music.

mark does seem like a particular prick though.

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2008 10:00 AM

great music on disc, but live shows are pretty boring and too long.

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2008 10:01 AM

I stopped going to see him after he told a packed house at the Bowery (on a raining February night) that it is such a "chore" to play live.

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2008 10:29 AM

Louis Penis --

Quoted because I see it as a reaction, not how Mark behaves. Nice try, though, you dummy.

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2008 6:04 PM

anon 10:29, i'd rather a performer be honest about what he's feeling, rather than feed me some kind of bullshit about how he's so stoked to be there when really he's feeling a bit frustrated. makes me believe what he's saying all together, music and otherwise. makes the performer a real person. i'm pretty sure kozelek is passed the days of caring what people think. he's made enough good music to stand on its own without some stupid live performance facade.

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2008 6:09 PM

I've met him briefly once and he is a modest guy and very good live. He gets pissy when the crowd is talking or being obnoxious as new york crowds tend to be. Once at the bowery ballroom a fan yelled out to get rid of the two violinists on stage w/ him and he took some time out from his set to go off on him.

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2008 9:16 PM

hey, at least i made 50 bucks off him at the highline show. but that was before i knew he was a total dick.

i'm moving to australia on the 3rd, and now considering moving that date back for the sake of this show....

.........because neil halstead is playing

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 9:29 AM

I'm so sick of photographers fucking up my shows. Was at Merc for Neil Halstead and this bitch was clicking here SLR and then beeping thru the pictures, giggling, and trying hard to be a HO. She didn't to try hard. Then some dude in a cape trambled all over us and of course he was her "friend". Do people care about music or the image of music? I'm a NYCer for 20 years and can't believe the lack of respect shown to musicians these days. If I find that that photographer was shooting for BV I'm never going to comment or read BV again! In fact I'm going to do just that right ...

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 4:14 PM

To the Cockmuncher who slagged me off, fuck you mother fucker. I get pussy and cocaine at each show. Eat my shit, cunt.

Posted by Mark Kozelek | October 22, 2013 7:08 AM