Posted in music | pictures on August 12, 2008

photos by Kyle Dean Reinford

APW

I wasn't super excited for Saturday's All Points West daytime schedule, but I figured it would be at least fun to hangout at the main stage and see Chromeo followed by Metric followed by Animal Collective. Well...running late caused me to miss Chromeo and then a gigantic @#$@#%@#$ line to get into the park caused me to miss Metric which I guess is also partly due to running late since someone told me they walked right in an hour or two earlier. Metric also played a show the night before at Highline Ballroom. More APW pics below...

APW

Bands were singing autographs in the Virgin Megastore booth at scheduled times all day.

Radiohead played the same stage later that night

Who the hell cares about Metric what crap

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 8:08 AM

...when are you going to put the animal collective setlist up?

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 8:18 AM

"Who the hell cares about Metric what crap"

Obviously the same people that don't care about punctuation.

As always, great pics! Keep 'em coming.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 8:35 AM

Emily is so sexy!

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 8:41 AM

Wow, they look so 'modest' signing CDs! Please put up more pix! Please!?!?!

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 9:04 AM

metric really isn't any good, and she's only cute in that she's thin and blonde, so if that's enough for you...

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 9:06 AM

"and she's only cute in that she's thin and blonde"

I was at the Virgin tent... she's very attractive up close.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 9:11 AM

"and she's only cute in that she's thin and blonde"

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 9:17 AM

Music as a whole isn't any good either.

In fact, I've rather soured on the notion of sound at all.

Way overrated and its beer lines are too long.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 9:17 AM

Emily would normally be only moderately hot, but her voice makes her 10X sexier.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 9:22 AM

I was stuck in that very same hour long line to get in. And just as pissed when my friend texted me "you missed it emily just walked off stage."

Damn you APW!

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 9:29 AM

i'm still trying to figure who they are
they seemed like a PARAMORE in the making
except not as good and with the same annoying style of fans! (besides me)

GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD could you please put up animal collective
isn't that why most of us on here went on sat
i tried to stay for radiohead but couldn't pretend to care after the first seconds of blip bleep, in my tired cold haggard feeling

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 9:33 AM

Really didn't miss much...those tunes (Metric) just sounded like rehashed pop-tarts smothered in indie-glaze. Same shit differnent package.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 9:34 AM

You missed nothing.

Posted by Eduardo | August 12, 2008 9:38 AM

except Emily actually has something to say with her lyrics
if you'd only listen instead of being distracted by the shiny apparel

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 9:38 AM

this festival kinda blew (apart from the Radiohead sets)

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 10:02 AM

no the worst part was when she started calling her self a hippy at heart or something and dissing the "hipster" lifestyle
that's just such bull!
especially since her aduring fans seemed to be "blazer/tight jean wearing" kids in the making
or is she talking about the jonas brothers
i'm so confused
the best thing to do is just don't talk about the enigma that is hipster

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 10:05 AM

maybe she should become a poet then
because the music just seemed dated

i couldn't tell cuz they actually do look like an old group in age
have they been around for awhile or something
but i doubt it cuz the kids that were going crazy for them were like 16 year olds
they seem like a band made from sites like pure volume or something

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 10:10 AM

haha 10:05-- yea i wasnt following that part either. she may not have even understood what she was saying?

i got into APW just before this set started & found them better than i was expecting them to be (not really into their recorded stuff). most of the set, however, i spent listening to my guy friend go on & on & on about her outfit.

Posted by sarah | August 12, 2008 10:11 AM

speaking of metric, those ittie bitties put me at about 228 mm.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 10:31 AM

>> i couldn't tell cuz they actually do look like an old group in age
have they been around for awhile or something

Emily has been doing all it takes to be noticed since 1996...she's in her mid-30's....did I mention that she is awful ?

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 10:36 AM

i'm always amazed at small girls looking so saggy!
do they not know the potential of being forever perky?!!!!!!!
darn them

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 10:37 AM

are you guys shitting on her because you don't like the music or because you don't like emily?

i thought metric had one of the most energetic sets of the day. i'm biased because i'm a big fan (and saw them the night before at highline, which was sold out, much like the last webster hall show they did), but i'm a little surprised that people are frustrated with how "pop" they sound or something. apologies if not everything can be animal collective.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 10:45 AM

also -- way to not publicize that bands would be doing signings throughout the day (didn't find out until seeing bv). good work again, apw.

however, i do want to thank bv for saving me $23 via the $7 ferry.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 10:49 AM

Emily Haines have me a high five

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 11:17 AM

hahaha i knew one of the best sets of the festival in general would get so shat on by bv commentators. you guys have held my expectations, thank you.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 11:34 AM

How was the highline show? Wanted to go but it was sold out with a really long line outside.

How was the Hercules show that night, for that matter?

Posted by najork | August 12, 2008 11:38 AM

I have an idea for all you posters of late on Brooklynvegan how about listening to music other than what is hyped by these such blogs. It makes me laugh when you all try to be so cool and in the know and you don't even know a band that has been around for ages.

The last two festivals I went to I was shocked how all the new Radiohead fans had no exposure to any of the opening bands i.e. bloc party, kings of leon, metric. They had never heard of them nor cared to actually listen to them. No it was only Radiohead for them….

God, during Love and Rockets at lollapalooza, the people in the front were sitting down the whole time because they only knew NIN. They were not at all open to learning or experiencing the importance of this band in music history or its affiliation with Bauhaus. Hello... who do you think was probably an inspiration to Trent of NIN...

Stop being such closed minded sheep and get an educated opinion……..

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 11:42 AM

^ screw you. as if knowing love & rockets and bauhaus are related is some kind of ticket to enlightenment. it's all just noise, friendo.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 11:44 AM

i guess to each his own
i really genuinely tried to like the show
i tried dancing along
i even invested in listening to the albums before the fest so that maybe i could sing along to 1 or two songs
but nothing about the band appealed to me
their sound was old much like them
and i heard that comment too
it was so off the wall
like what is she talking about
and the kids i saw going crazy to her made me iffy too i thought they were like a bamboozal warp tour like group cuz the kids looked young and hot topic/ hipster like cladded, and then she dissed them
she dissed her own fans taste
unless i just saw a select inkling of the type of fans they have

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 11:45 AM

Funny thing is, Metric has been hyped on BV before!

And I don't think they've released a new album in a few years so that's probably why you think they have an 'old' sound.

And finally, I'm not your friendo guy.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 11:53 AM

^ who said I'm a guy, fella?

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 11:56 AM

what time will radiohead go on at Camden tonight?

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 11:57 AM

Yes please stop shitting on Metric, Emily is an excellent writer and I feel their music gives more bang for the buck, more so than so many other shit acts out there

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 11:57 AM

Great legs. There is no disputing that.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 12:05 PM

"and she's only cute in that she's thin and blonde"

"I don't discriminate, I'll take thin and blonde, thin and brunette, thin and redhead, thin and auburn, thin and dirty blonde, thin and strawberry blonde, I also love a thin blonde redhead. It's all good."

i like am fat and sloppy with a lot a gravy

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 12:05 PM

it's not that metric's music is to "old" or too "pop"...it's that it's fucking boring.
there is not one bit of originality in that band.
sounds like songwriting is an afterthought.
yawn.
same tired shit, shiny new package.
(emily is pretty hot though)
and what the hell was that hippie shit she was talking...please!
I bet she doesn't even smell like patchouli.
really, it's time to stop worrying about being cool and actually write a song.

and to 9:33...you're an idiot.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 12:15 PM

basically, if something is light, fun, catchy, and a bit on the pop side, people on here are too high brow to appreciate it?

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 12:22 PM

'"and she's only cute in that she's thin and blonde"

i like am fat and sloppy with a lot a gravy'

Sop 'em up with a biscuit.

Really pissed I missed this set too. Was so looking forward to the afternoon but didn't realize it was going to take 3 hours to get through the freaking gates!!

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 12:57 PM

She looks like she's auditioning for the role of She-Ra with that gold suit.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 12:57 PM

boner.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 1:05 PM

what was the cover(?) they closed with?

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 1:18 PM

that wasn't a cover. it was a stripped down version of "live it out" they've been doing lately from the album of the same name.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 1:23 PM

if you liked it, you might like the acoustic version:

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 1:27 PM

whatever i haven't been following blogs like a sheep
i never even ventured on blogs until as of late
and learned about all my music through extensive concert going and venue scouring (spl)
and i still never heard of metric until i went on this blog
so there, your stupid band is bloghouse and dumb

and i am not an idiot, i was just excited to hear about animal collective

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 1:39 PM

Note to 12:22. BV commenters are by no means high-brow. Post a picture of a cute girl and BV commenters turn into drooling fucking idiots. Mention a band that's starting to attain a level of mainstream popularity and BV commenters will tell you how passe they've become.
I used to work in a music store back when people actually bought CDs. It was stocked with holier-than-thou assholes whose attitude was one of "it's only a matter of time before I make my band my full-time gig, in the meantime, I'll barely tolerate you and whatever thoughts and concerns you might harbor." Reading most comments on this site, I'm reminded of those same sorry stiffs.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 1:41 PM

no one mentioned this is the same outfit she wore at coachella.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 1:50 PM

she has a few of them. she wore a silver one the night before at highline and i've seen her in a blue one too. sort of makes me wonder if you can buy them in bulk at costco.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 1:53 PM

oh shit you right, she wore silver at coachella, btw I just checked. to be honest, she looked hotter at coachella...

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 1:55 PM

Upon examining the photos
Only one thing I can blurt:
Are these extremely short shorts she's wearing -
Or perhaps, perchance, a skirt?!

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 2:47 PM

Anon 2.47, that was awesome. Truly.

Posted by Awesome | August 12, 2008 6:01 PM