Posted in music | pictures | tour dates on August 28, 2008

photos by Zach Dilgard

NIN

Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails isn't generally given to diverting any energy from his music by speaking much from the stage. But after playing the first of several encores at the Izod Center last night in East Rutherford, Reznor said he "felt suddenly possessed to talk." The singer pointed out how primed he and his band mates and crew felt backstage, talking about they couldn't wait to "blow these peoples' minds tonight." (Except that instead of "peoples," he used a word that rhymes with truckers.)

Reznor and company went on to do just that, with a two-hour audiovisual, senses-blurring assault that made most arena-rock shows seem lazy and locked in the past. The leading-edge, three-dimensional lighting effects were spectacularly attuned to the intensity of the music, which was a blend of the sophisticated and the visceral, the electronic and the organic, the angst-driven and the moodily atmospheric. [NJ.com]

More pictures from last night's show and the setlist, and new tour dates below...

Setlist 8/27/08: (via)

echoplex
god given
the good soldier
hurt
in this twilight

NIN - 2008 Tour Dates
08/27 - East Rutherford, NJ Izod Center w/ Does It Offend You, Yeah?
08/29 - Philadelphia, PA Wachovia Center w/ Out Does It Offend You, Yeah?
08/31 - Lexington, KY Rupp Arena w/ White Williams
12/9 - Missoula, MT [Adams Center]
12/12 - Sacramento, CA [Arco Arena]

ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 10:06 AM

the slip is f'n great

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 10:08 AM

quite simply the greatest spectacle in rocking. a NIN show should be on everyone's bucket list.

what about his landing of beck's former bassist? there's an odd match....

Posted by Tito | August 28, 2008 10:14 AM

josh freese is a busy motherfucker.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 10:15 AM

Anon 10:06 - You can have Dan Deacon.

Posted by jables | August 28, 2008 10:17 AM

Last night was AMAZING. That's all.

Posted by Fan | August 28, 2008 10:17 AM

Last night's show was epic.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 10:19 AM

"I have going to NIN shows since '91. This was, by far, the best I've seen. This band Trent has put together are amazing musicians. The light show is the best I've seen in my life and the crowed was insane. This show was absolutely mind-blowing. Ask anyone who was there."

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 10:22 AM

to 10:22 - i've seen a ton of radiohead and phish shows and to be honest, this NIN tour/light setup is AS good if not better than anything both of those bands have done. i saw this tour at lollapalooza and was absolutely blown away by how good NIN was (i'm not even that big of a fan) and how epic their lights/production was. everyone who saw the show w/ me in chicago was as floored if not more than me as well.

Posted by trent for prez | August 28, 2008 10:28 AM

Woah. NIN? I think I'll leave trent back in the 90's where he belongs.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 10:29 AM

"Anon 10:06 - You can have Dan Deacon.

Ha haa...just because I'm not impressed with NIN anymore, you think I like Dan Deacon? Please. You're not the only one who saw NIN in the early 90s, I hate to tell ya. Some of us just realized that the music was shite after Downward Spiral and stopped listening. You must be bummed he didn't play [(Ghosts/7) + 352] last night.

Posted by 10:06 | August 28, 2008 10:29 AM

When did Trent Reznor get fat?

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 10:30 AM

Anon 10:22, Trent's light show is 10x better than Radiohead's. Sorry.

The show was amazing. Trent was in top form last night.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 10:31 AM

I wish I had gone to this... Have they been playing We're in this together lately?

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 10:37 AM

yeah... the pictures on bv don't do it justice at all. there were these 2 LED curtain things that they started using about an hour into the set... amazing. absolutely the coolest thing i've ever seen.

it's pretty hard to describe. anyone who wasn't there last night really missed out.

NIN is the daft punk of '08. hell... the light show at NIN might have been even cooler than daft punk.

Posted by wembly | August 28, 2008 10:39 AM

Surprisingly the venue wasn't full at all. Even a black curtain draped the top half of the stadium. Trent should have had this show in the city. That said. FUCKING INSANELY AWESOME SHOW! So true about the stage LED lights. KICK ASS!!

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 10:47 AM

Trent Reznor was raw power on stage, amazing show.

Posted by tbones | August 28, 2008 10:50 AM

"are there any better pictures of the light show? i doubt it trumps radiohead or phish"

I would say the visuals were def better than Phish, and on-par to slightly better than Radiohead but both RH and NIN's lights suit the bands really well. Of course if you like Radiohead better than NIN, you'll have a better time at that shows for sure.

I have yet to see any visuals that compare to Daft Punk. At all. If you're into that sort of thing you HAVE to go to a DP show. The real world was dull and boring for about a week after I went. It re-wired my brain.

If you want to see more of the visuals, check out footage from the 2008 tour on YouTube. I thought they looked great, which is why I decided to check out the NIN concert even though I'm not that familiar. Had a great time.

Cheers Everybody.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 10:52 AM

He's looking rough these days...

Posted by Jimmy J | August 28, 2008 10:54 AM

i wish i could have gotten some wider shots of the light set up well into NIN's set. the security was pretty tight with us though and it's definitely impossible to get a sense of their amazing light show from up front. after our time in the photo pit we were all escorted by security out of the arena so there was no chance to get any wide shots unfortunately. boo hoo.

i'd definitely suggest checking out this show if your a fan though... unbelievable.

Posted by zach | August 28, 2008 10:58 AM

this makes me want to see nin live despite knowing none of their music besides the radio hits. trent is a beast.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 10:58 AM

trent's actually looking pretty healthy these days compared to years past.

his arms looked HUGE when he wore a short sleeve shirt for the encore.

he's really not fat, just bulky. and he had incredible energy up there.

this definitely rivaled the fragility 2.0 tour (although I think I liked the setlist in that tour better). the light show here was unlike anything I had ever seen before. mind-blowing. made radiohead look like amateur hour.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 11:03 AM

10:29 AM:
You are a loser who has ZERO taste in music. Thank god you weren't at this show.l We don't want you to experience what we did.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 11:05 AM

trent is NOT looking good. tired and fat.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 11:09 AM

Trent is a rock GOD! You can eat shit if you don't agree.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 11:16 AM

11:05...You seem very insightful. Please tell me more about myself. Do you have some sort of guide to an amazing musical journey you can hip me to? Please, o'wise one with the cultivated ear??

Posted by 10:29 | August 28, 2008 11:16 AM

for people asking about the light show, the whole thing was a 3d mind f%$% the likes of which I have never seen before.

One example: For the beginning of echoplex the back scrim showed a digital grid of a 16 step sequencer, probably from a Lemur. The drummer step by step built the beats by touching the grid. It looked slightly "wheel of fortune-ish." He did it slowly enough for people to get the idea of what he was doing.

The mega impressive part was the end of the song where he randomly starting pulling beats away. During the song "Only" there was a scrim in front of the band that completely obscured them in static. Trent was able to via proximity makes himself appear or disappear into the static.

This show was what Kanye promised for Glow in the Dark but didn't deliver on.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 11:17 AM

11:16 - i won't waste my time. you obviously wouldn't understand anyway.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 11:32 AM

having seen RH and NIN, the thing is NIN's light show is less photo-friendly than RH's. i got some killer shots of RH (natl anthem in particular though the whole show killed it) but couldn't swing any shots doing last night's spectacle justice (to reiterate a prior post, youtube's the way to get a good idea).

BUT, NIN's is much more ambitious/dynamic and it's pulled off majestically. on top of the usual tip top lighting blowout, he has three stage-wide video/graphics boards that drop and move around a lot and that are interactive.

it's some cirque du soleil shit.

i got fairly close, and i'd echo(plex) that trent looked buff, not tubby. guy's ripped in a thick kind of way.

Posted by Tito | August 28, 2008 11:33 AM

11:32...I wouldn't understand what? Your lame explanation as to why he is not a rock god in your eyes?

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 11:35 AM

10:06

dead on with the downward spiral comment. dead on!

Posted by un:art:ig | August 28, 2008 12:04 PM

it was his best stage show, but the weakest crowd in the vip ga section. i think the crowd is just as integral in a show like this.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 12:04 PM

he doesn't look ripped. he just looks fat. he has a slight double chin these days.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 12:07 PM

I left my teenage angst in the 90's.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 12:07 PM

Damn... I wish I saw that. Izod was the deterent. M'fkrs need to play NYC.... for people who went, do you think the light show could've fit into or work at MSG? I bet there were technical limitations to MSG that prevented them from playing there. Just a guess.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 12:08 PM

I think it's very telling that most of the comments here are about how awesome the light show was...and that Trent's looking corpulent, of course!

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 12:11 PM

I think I'll pass on NIN. I haven't hated my parents since I was 13.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 12:14 PM

light show looks sick. haven't been interested since post downward spiral...and now i feel like a herb for choosing kanye a little bit. i mean no i don't whatever.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 12:18 PM

I'll have extra value meal #3, super sized!

Posted by Trent Reznor | August 28, 2008 12:24 PM

his face is all puffy and bloated. probably from years of substance and/or alcohol abuse. seems like the light show is just a ruse so we don't actually have to LOOK at him.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 12:25 PM

An epic performance last night. All the faith I have always had in Reznor as an artist who expressed himself truthfully without holding back was vindicated last night. The guy is simply amazing and he has a great supporting cast.

As for the show - setlist was good, he lost the crowd with the instrumental Ghosts stuff, but I liked it. Heavy on the Downward Spiral was good, and Terrible Lie was a slice of Pretty Hate Machine, I was hoping for more from the early days but am not complaining.

Lights - unbelievable, much better than radiohead and only comparable to Phish in that both Phish and NIN have a great light guys who segue the music to the lights. NIN's lights are far more sophisticated then anything Ive ever seen with visual illusions that were more than worth the price of admission. Izod center is a horrible place, but Im happy I sucked it up for this one.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 12:26 PM

if you stripped away all the goth costume bullshit, trent actually used to be kind of hot. not so much these days.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 12:26 PM

i was the one that initially asked about the light show. and im checkin out youtube stuff now, it looks amazing. hopefully they add an msg show later this year

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 12:40 PM

Impressive looking set up. I used to LOVE NIN, loved 'Pretty Hate Machine' actually didn't really like 'Downward Spiral' all that much, thought 'The Fragile' was better than the press it got, but last couple of discs, not so good. I'm a big fan of Trent's stand on digital issues, etc. and have a lot of respect for him personally, but the music is not there anymore, IMHO. Kinda like Pearl Jam, love what they stand for, don't like the tunes anymore!

Posted by Brian | August 28, 2008 12:40 PM

The muscles are fine but the facial hair has to go. It makes him look like a sex offender of some sort.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 12:54 PM

11:35 - I was speaking to the OTHER 11:16 post.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 12:54 PM

Whoa, when did Trent turn into Bono? Wait... didn't U2 use LED curtains on their last tour?

Posted by D. Evans | August 28, 2008 12:55 PM

WOW! That was an awesome show! So, Trent's gettin a little pudgy, it certainly didn't effect his ability to rock everyone down to the marrow of the bones! You can't bez that scrawny goth king forever, but as an artist Trent will forever bee da shiznite!

Posted by Deano Bravo | August 28, 2008 1:22 PM

Does anyone give a shit about actual 'music' or 'art' on this site? He released an amazing recording, 'Year Zero', analyzing the destruction of civil liberties with the Bush Administration and now given away another recording that's also exceptional in it's brevity.

He's in his 40's, sober, pushing limits, making art and music for himself and his fan base in an evolutionary -- and revolutionary -- way. Take 5 minutes and write a poem or something instead of sitting here slagging what precious little decent original and sincere culture we've left. It's how we contribute to the 'Greater Good', and he continues to set the example time and again.

Posted by greg | August 28, 2008 1:24 PM

last night was f'n epic! he had so much energy and looked better than ever! if you weren't there you missed out

Posted by nicole | August 28, 2008 1:56 PM

"I think I'll pass on NIN. I haven't hated my parents since I was 13."

Yeah, they're alright. It is very nice of them to pay your rent. You should've asked your dad for a lil' extra $$$ and you could've bought a ticket.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 2:01 PM

if it was in the city i could have made it in time

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 2:07 PM

Who gives a shit how he looks, he still rocks it. I think a meaty sober guy is sexier then a skinny junkie. I say good for him. Everyone is being way too damn critical of his image. He puts on an amazing show, last night was absolutely incredible.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 2:11 PM

he looks busted

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 2:20 PM

I was front row center at last nights show Trent is more ripped then ever and they're playing longer sets then ever!! so quit hating.

Posted by Nick FRONT ROW | August 28, 2008 2:20 PM

2:20....Right on! Thank you!
2:11....I bet your face looks busted!

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 2:23 PM

Anyone find it strange that NIN just played the northeast and totally ignored NYC?

Why the fuck would nin not play MSG?An arena they have always sold out.Maybe Trent could have exorcised the arena of the two Celion Dion shows coming up.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 2:24 PM

some more videos of NIN at last night's show. does it offend you, yeah? is there too.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 2:25 PM

Anyone who thinks Radiohead's light show even comes close to this is a total idiot. NIN have officially pushed all the limits and the show was beyond epic.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 2:37 PM

Some of you hipsters are so shallow and artificial.

And to the "I think I'll pass on NIN. I haven't hated my parents since I was 13" simpleton-NIN (like the Cure and many other bands)are about a darker outlook on life that has nothing to do with age.The 50 something homeless dude I saw today talking to himself about how evil the world is and how the end is coming-he would understand what Trent is saying better then some spoiled mama's boy.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 2:37 PM

2:24 -- No MSG = costs. The shows margins are slim so they can't turn a profit and keep ticket prices low if they play in places with too high a fee.

Posted by Greg | August 28, 2008 2:43 PM

2:37---Point well made.....shallow hipsters!

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 2:48 PM

Does he ever play 'Get Down Make Love' anymore?

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 2:54 PM

they played get down make love on the US summer 06 tour.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 3:05 PM

2:43 PM-all they would have had to do was charge NYC tickets a little more (something which is unfortunately very common).Not to totally ignore it.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 3:13 PM

Who gives a shit how Trent looks? Does anyone complain Thom Yorke is too skinny or has facial hair? (PS: love RH and NIN, and they BOTH put on amazing shows, lighting and music together). Its great that NIN is still making relevant music and have incorporated so many new elements into its sound. Anyone who dismisses NIN as "parent hating" music obviously hasn't listened to them since 1994 and should not be taken seriously.

Posted by PanopticonNYC | August 28, 2008 3:36 PM

Last night's concert was amazing. The visuals were just out of control. Trent is well beyond any other bands at his level in creating a true EXPERIENCE.

I am a long-time fan, and while I am not as thrilled with everything he has put out in recent years, I will always see them every time they tour. I pretty much stick to Bowery Ballroom, but they are the only band I will see in an arena without a second thought.

If you want true performers, seasoned musicians who have spent years perfecting their art, who understand exactly what to give back to their audience so it's a night they'll really cherish, then forget flash-in-the-pan shit like Vampire Weekend. NIN is the real deal.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 4:14 PM

ROBIN FINCK WAS FUCKING AMAZING

AND JOSH FREESE

GREAT LIVE BAND

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 4:17 PM

Last night's show was AMAZING!! I can die happy now--- TR is the hottest, sexiest, talented mutha ucker everrrrrr--I wish they would sell bottles of his sweat--I'd buy it LOL

Posted by liz | August 28, 2008 4:17 PM

at least he doesn't have the Thom Yorke lazy eye.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 5:50 PM

The show was a million times more amazing than I anticipated. Who gives a fuck which albums were played and which weren't. Their energy is mindblowing and each and every composition of music Trent has ever created carries its own signature of art. I give him more praise for becoming more eclectic overtime. I was blown away by the stage set up for Ghosts. People that truly understand music can appreciate that album more than most.

And thanks Zach for posting the photo of us. Its an honor to be featured in this article!

Posted by Sivi | August 28, 2008 5:56 PM

trent looks like shit. he's a victim of hard living.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 6:39 PM

^^^ your mom's a victim of hard living.

Posted by wembly | August 28, 2008 8:29 PM

Trent played last night like he was 25 again. It was amazing... he rocked it hard, and I rocked it with him! Can't wait to go again. And as always, the light show and screens were beautiful.

Posted by Brittany | August 28, 2008 10:41 PM

>Surprisingly the venue wasn't full at all. Even a black curtain >draped the top half of the stadium. Trent should have had this >show in the city.

It's not surprising because it was in East fucking Rutherford, NJ on a Wednesday night @ 7pm.

Posted by Anonymous | August 29, 2008 1:32 AM

a nyc show would be nice trent

Posted by Anonymous | August 29, 2008 10:31 PM

Trent can beat the shit of those who called him fat. Seriously, he's going to find you and punch you in the face. Notice he's wearing a long sleeve shirt, that's why you can't see the muscles.

Posted by Anonymous | August 30, 2008 8:47 AM

Best show I saw this summer and I saw Radiohead, Pearl Jam, Springsteen, and Foo Fighters, best light show ever and they need to come back to NYC or NJ really really soon

Posted by Anonymous | August 30, 2008 4:43 PM

Your mom took me as a hard victim last night after the show, 6:39.

Posted by Trent R. | August 30, 2008 4:53 PM

lobster tank!

Posted by Not Trent | August 30, 2008 10:41 PM

"Woah. NIN? I think I'll leave trent back in the 90's where he belongs."

-That's where you should've left your worthless comment.

"I left my teenage angst in the 90's."

-Evidently your brain as well.

"I think I'll pass on NIN. I haven't hated my parents since I was 13."

-I didn't hate you until that asinine comment.

New and old fans go because they love the music, not because they're "rebelling." Fucking idiots.

And for those of you who're so empty that you actually give a shit what he looks like, Trent's more badass now then he ever was in the '90s.

Posted by 31 | September 8, 2008 11:43 PM

Posted by dread | September 16, 2008 11:24 PM

I hate all this criticism, none of you fucks have done, or ever will do a piece of work better than anything NIN has done.

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2008 6:02 PM

blissful night.

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2008 4:42 PM

Is there a bootleg DVD of any sort for his Izod Center Light Show this year. The show was AWESOME!!!

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2008 11:30 AM

I was sa that the rough men at this show were sooo over bearing that alot of people couldnt have a good time to say the least. I couldnt catch my breath and guys were tearing on womens shirts. I felt totally unsafe and it was hard to zone into the music.
The show was wonderful even though it was in Ft Wayne Indiana which is always downer.

Posted by Francesica | December 31, 2008 2:04 AM