Posted in music | pictures on August 4, 2008

photos by Zach Dilgard

NIN @ Lollapalooza

8:22 p.m. Sunday: Nine Inch Nails comes onstage decked out like an urban S.W.A.T. team and proceeds to lay waste to the north end of Grant Park. Trent Reznor is scary-intense, sounding possessed on blistering versions of "Discipline" and "March of the Pigs," the aural equivalent of being run through an industrial sawmill. Despite the intensity of the music, the crowd [that probably contained many less 'bros'] doesn't respond with the mindless violence that interrupted Rage Against the Machine's performance on several occasions the night before. It could be that Rage directs its anger outward, whereas Reznor's music internalizes all of the pain and frustration ("I'm all alone," he yelps on the scalding "Terrible Lie"). (AD)

8:40 p.m.: Kanye West enters, and right away it's apparent that the hip-hop giant with the oversized sunglasses and an even bigger ego has retooled his set rather than rehashing the ambitious space opera he brought to the United Center a few months ago. This is more of a greatest hits set, with a cracking band. West brings his usual intensity, but this time there is an air of celebration. He was clearly thrilled with his performance on the same stage two years ago, when he shared the spotlight with fellow Chicago rappers Common, Lupe Fiasco and Twista. This time, there are no cameos, but West carries the show with no shortage of energy. "We put the city on the map," he crows. "I put the city on my back." With the city spread out before him on another just-right summer night, who could blame West for strutting his stuff? (GK)
[Chicago Tribune]

And that's how Lollapalooza ended last night in Chicago. More pictures, and the setlist, from NIN's performance below...

NIN Lollapalooza setlist

(encore)
Echoplex
Hurt
In This Twilight

ha- kanye sucks

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2008 3:24 PM

I opted for Kanye and wasn't expecting much, but was really surprised by the quality of his show. He was in top form, sounded great on the mic, band was fantastic, lights were good and the many references to Chicago throughout the set showed how hyped he was to be headlining in his hometown. Yes, his ego got the best of him a few times throughout, but when you know to expect it and can just dismiss it and enjoy the music and his talent and passion, it makes for a great set of music. I did think it was a little odd that he sat on the side of the stage while his band played "Don't Stop Believin'" by Journey. That was just weird. Overall though, his was a great show.

Posted by Cam D | August 4, 2008 3:31 PM

you opted for kanye over NIN- what a joke

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2008 3:36 PM

most pale men ever

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2008 3:40 PM

Anon 3:24 & 3:36 are the- same people.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2008 3:42 PM

3:24, 3:36, and 3:42 are the same people

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2008 3:45 PM

I bet Trent Reznor lifts weights because he thinks exercise will make him less of a douche.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2008 3:47 PM

is that the bassist from beck's touring band from the last several years?

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2008 3:49 PM

What time did daft punk go on?

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2008 4:01 PM

what a beefcake

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2008 4:07 PM

Only time I've seen NIN was at the first Lollapalooza in 1991. Glad to see Trent has left his steampunk outfits from that period behind.
Was Trent ahead of his time with that bullsh*t?

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2008 4:24 PM

Unbelievable set/stage/performance -- I posted on the Rage page about the feeling of seeing a constantly evolving artist. Reznor is quite simply light years ahead of any of his contemporaries both then and now.

Posted by greg | August 4, 2008 4:58 PM

Re Beck: Yes

In regards to NIN performance last night, I would have to say it was the highlight of my weekend. Visually the set was outstanding and musically it was delivered with such passion which let you know why NIN is a band that can close out an amazing 3 day weekend. Also I must say the fans for this were all very respectful and only saw fist pumping, people jumping, and eyes closed enjoying the music that Trent and his band brought.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2008 5:15 PM

It's good to see that Robin Fink is still as creepy looking as ever.

Posted by Brad | August 4, 2008 5:23 PM

trent reznor lifts weights instead of doing heroin.

not a bad idea.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2008 5:51 PM

That setlist is fucking awesome and Trent just keeps getting hotter all the time. God bless that man for cutting his hair and springing for a Bow Flex. They should totally use The Becoming in their commercials.

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2008 12:35 AM

Reznor looks like a necro-dad.

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2008 8:03 AM

no We're in this together or Perfect drug

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2008 11:13 AM

...Reznor NEVER plays Perfect Drug live, dude. It would basically murder his drummer.

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2008 12:26 PM

That sucks those are two of my favorite nin songs

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2008 12:33 PM

He very rarely plays We're In This Together either - the only times he has were a few stops during the international tour in '07. Vocally it's too hard on him, so even then he dropped the key down to make it easier.

I'll kill to see that song live one day.

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2008 4:42 PM

sick pics...

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2008 8:03 PM

Great pictures & writeup. I had a blast at this show. I'd never gotten to see NIN live before and am glad to have seen this show in such a setting. I can't imagine having nearly as good a time wedged into an uncomfortable stadium seat. I loved the quiet interlude from Ghosts and thought the set was well rounded, energetic, and a fine example of his artistic prowess. I'm glad to see he's looking healthy too. He said at one point that he's amazed they're still alive - I'm glad they are.

Posted by Laura | August 6, 2008 10:27 AM

Nine Inch Nails!

awesome!

Posted by Andrés Cabrera | August 6, 2008 1:25 PM

Trent always puts a good show on. Seeing Burn played live was amazing the last go around they came thru. The man is a genius.

Posted by Cousin B | August 7, 2008 4:01 AM

I wonder if it was the In This Twilight Remix?

Posted by Ben Tardiff | August 7, 2008 8:05 AM

Trent Reznor is god. I went soley for NIN and needless to say I wasnt dissapointed. Trent was Definitely on that night. you couldnt even tell he was sick.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2008 5:42 PM

Trent Reznor is the God of all Gods.
Definitely one show to remember he's shown a triumph through all of his accomplishments from Pretty Hate Machine all the way to The Slip.
F*** Kanye and all his commercial acts, Trent was defiintely the way to go.
If you missed out you were pretty much f***** because you didn't get to hear REAL LIVE MUSIC.

Can't wait till Trent and the crew come back.

Until then I'll keep lots of tabs on Trent.

Posted by Arissa | August 11, 2008 5:06 PM

"the crowd [that probably contained many less 'bros'] doesn't respond with the mindless violence that interrupted Rage Against the Machine's performance"

Posted by Jen | August 12, 2008 10:12 AM

Trent Reznor was Amazing! He sounded awesome and he put on a kick ass show. Best show I've seen man. Most definitely worth the sore feet and the money!:P

Posted by Danielle | August 13, 2008 8:02 PM

i had worked behind stage bartending @ the artist lounge while they were performing, unfortunately it had gotten really busy once they performed, but just hearing them from 20 feet away was

a m a z i n g

Posted by L | August 16, 2008 4:23 AM

I think it was Ghost 6, not ghost 30.

Posted by sabrina | August 20, 2008 7:24 PM

I was honored to cut his hair b4 the show .....
Truely he is and inspiration a true audio visual......Aquawavexx and yes i am NOT a starfucker.............

Posted by aquawavexx | August 21, 2008 5:27 PM

I was honored to cut his hair b4 the show .....

Posted by aquawavexx | August 21, 2008 5:34 PM

Guy that went to Kanye...eat a bowl of dick

Posted by John | August 22, 2008 2:26 AM

"My thoughts exactly. The crowd for Rage was full of drunken bros that were just idiots. You could hear the high fives and shirtless back-slapping all over the place. I took a gamble that the crowd for NIN would be better and that most of the bros would go see Kanye, and I was right thank god. Awesome, awesome show."

- Arissa

you're an idiot. I was at the Rage show, I was in the pit, I had my shirt off and my Zapatista Army star tattoos showing. I was going fucking nuts to see Rage, a band who I thought at 11 years old when they broke up that I would NEVER get to see live. And I was every bit as eager to see Nine Inch Nails the next night. I'm from Chicago, and FUCK KANYE, and FUCK YOU TOO.

Posted by Zach | August 26, 2008 4:15 PM

4:15 - You suck donkey balls.

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2008 4:19 PM

4:15 please stay in Chicago....forever.

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2008 4:22 PM