Posted in music | pictures on August 14, 2008

photos by Elizabeth Weinberg

DOWNLOAD: Passion Pit - Sleepyhead (MP3)

Passion Pit @ Pianos

"If you missed Passion Pit's NYC debut there is good news and bad news. The good news is it was the first of a three consecutive Wednesdays residency. The bad news is, given the size of the crowd and the enthusiastic response, good luck getting in to see them. I don't think Passion Pit need that much help from the media at this point. The audience, not sold out but close, was singing along to almost all the songs and seriously dancing. Going just slightly south of Bonkers. Pianos should really consider selling tickets to the other two shows as demand is going to be high. These Bostonians are going to be big." [Sound Bites]
More pictures from last night's show below...

Tags: Passion Pit

this is getting out of hand.

Posted by byoung | August 14, 2008 1:57 PM

this band...haha...big effing deal. i thought they were uninspiring. NOT going to see them again. pitchfork misses on yet another.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 1:58 PM

yeah this show was alot fun. did pitchfork say something about them? i missed it

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 2:17 PM

i've only heard a few recordings, but they sound a lot like The Postal Service.. not that it's a bad thing...

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 2:45 PM

How's the new drummer?

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 2:47 PM

Posted by blackhat | August 14, 2008 2:55 PM

I got some flicks of the night.

The new drummer is AMAZING! He played with a click the entire night.

Posted by Joe | August 14, 2008 2:55 PM

maybe he was amazing bc he played to a click the entire night.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 3:19 PM

Their last drum was extremley versitile and entertaining to watch. Just curious how the new guy was.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 3:54 PM

I don't like the music they play... it is not good music

Posted by Timmy | August 14, 2008 4:20 PM

He was pretty ill but that is just my opinion. He used to drum for a band called The Peasantry and he sounded just as good if not better then when he drummed for them last night. It is actually extremely hard to drum to a click so if he can do that then I think he can do anything.

Posted by Joe | August 14, 2008 4:23 PM

The article says everyone was singing along, meaning people had heard their music before. After the limited research I've done, all I've found is the 3 songs on their myspace because their EP is not released yet, anyone care to show me where I can listen...

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 4:24 PM

spoon was definitely playing to a click during their prospect park show. lots of bands do it.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 4:30 PM

spotted bob dylan in the background by the bar... he is way into this band

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 4:36 PM

They sold their albums on drop cards at some show for the past few months. I got one with 7 tracks titled the chunk of change ep.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 4:37 PM

that lead singer seems kinda like a dick....or is he just shy? I mean on their myspace, it's just a picture of himself and no other band members. Morrissey? Anybody?

Posted by Lindsay Heffron | August 14, 2008 7:39 PM

TOTALLY DICK DUDE

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 8:45 PM

lame

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 9:17 PM

"So...no one else finds the sped up Alvin & The Chipmunks vocal samples annoying as hell huh?!?"

no, I like it

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 10:04 PM

Emerson TOOLS.

I sold blow to their singer last year, and cut it harsh... he didnt know the dif!

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2008 12:07 AM

NICE! My friend recommended me a very interesting place ☆☆☆ MillionaireLover.com ☆☆☆ If you've ever been there you will know what I mean....

Posted by syillwajdh | August 15, 2008 4:36 AM

Who the fuck is Passion Pit? Seriously, let a band release at least one album before going apeshit over them. All this is is this: People want to be there when the next Nirvana "breaks" -- Not to experience the music, per se, but to be able to say they were there before it was cool.

Posted by Hunter | August 15, 2008 8:21 AM

Hunter they have released an album before it just wasn't commercially released. If you were from Boston you could have bought the album months ago at one of their live shows. This though is the first time their album will be commercially released and widley available.

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2008 8:25 AM

thank god i'm not from boston.

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2008 8:35 AM

We're glad your not from Boston too!

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2008 8:50 AM

Wow - what a groundbreaking piece of news - Passion Pit plays their "debut" at Pianos, does not sell it out (but it was "close") and people in attendance enjoy the music.

Therefore - this band is going to be BIG.

What's the capacity of the Pianos back room - 75? 100? Maybe even less?

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2008 10:25 AM

200 I believe.

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2008 10:30 AM

The DOB website claims the entire first floor capacity is 229......

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2008 10:49 AM

a lot of bands almost sell out pianos...the BREAKING NEWS here is that there is a great publicist at work once again!!! ugh

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2008 11:22 AM

this is b.s. i don't know anyone in boston who liked this band...the real bands from boston that deserve press are paparazzi, wonderful spells and pretty and nice

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2008 11:24 AM

Um, I'm from Boston and I happen to like them a lot. Don't you guys have better things to do trash-talk a band on the internet. If you didn't like them, that's fine, but try to come up with a reason.

Posted by Way to Generalize! | August 15, 2008 12:00 PM

I am not trashing the band - I am trashing the fact that the review was ridiculous to brag about how "I don't think Passion Pit need that much help from the media at this point." and "good luck getting into the next show".

What a snobby, shitty, dumb thing to write. If that wasn't the bands publicist - then it was someone who clearly decided they would rather hurt the band then help them. BTW - I was just able to add 10 tickets to each remaining show.....so looks like I have lots of luck "getting into the next show".

Secondly - the fact that the author even pointed out that it was "close" to being sold out is meaningless and just trying to act like it was more than what it actually was. Who cares??? At a venue as small as Pianos, what the hell difference would it even make if you sold it out or had three people show up??? Its not like someone "almost" selling out MSG...its a damn small tiny club in the LES. Even if you did "sell it out" big F'n DEAL!!! ITS LIKE 100 or so PEOPLE. I wouldn't crap my pants if some band came "close" to selling out the bodega down the street.

Obviously written with a specific purpose and its a shame because many people get turned off when that crap is pulled.

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2008 2:04 PM

Considering they never played a NY show before or released an album it is not a bad feat.

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2008 2:10 PM

You haters can say whatever you want. Passion Pit's music is great and speaks for itself and people are getting excited about it. Save your conspiracy theories for 9/11.

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2008 2:12 PM

"Secondly - the fact that the author even pointed out that it was "close" to being sold out is meaningless and just trying to act like it was more than what it actually was"

I think the author's point was that the band neve r played NYC before and doesn't even have an album yet and Pianos was already full. Pianos may not be MSG, but that is still a feat for an unknown band from out of town. He is not crapping his pants. He is making an observation based on past experience.

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2008 2:15 PM

"Even if you did "sell it out" big F'n DEAL!!! ITS LIKE 100 or so PEOPLE."

Aww, somebody sounds jealous.

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2008 2:19 PM

2:10 - not really considering:

a) NYC is the most populated city in the whole country.
b) Location is meaningless since the internet came around.
c) You don't need a major/indie label full length album to generate fans. Technology has clearly proved that.

2:12 - this isn't a "conspiracy theory" its fact and I will say once again - I do not "hate" this band - I hate this type of writing. Thats all.

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2008 2:23 PM

I TOTES <3 HATING EVERYTHING THAT ANYONE ELSE LIKES. IM SO ORIGINAL, GOD NO WUNDER I CANT GET SEX, SEX HAS SO BEEN DONE B4. IM DEEP INTO BLOWING MYSELF AND EATING CAT TURDS. I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE THINKIN, MANSON ALREADY DID ALL THAT BUT IM IRONICALLY DOING IT NOW, PLUS I WAS LIKE 8 WHEN HE DID THAT NEWAYZ. UGHH I NEED ANOTHER SPARKZ, SUGA FREE DUHH IM DIABETIC, ITS THE NEW HIV POSI.O YAH AND DEF NNEEVVEERR SEEING THIS BAND UNLESS IM ON THEIR G-LIST!!! (WHICH IS POSSIBLE, MY BLOG GETS NE INTO SO MANY UNDERGROUND INDY XCLUSIV PARTY/SHOWS SPONSORED BY COLT45, YOU WOULD THINK I WRITE FOR VICE OR SOMETHING) SO UNTIL PEREZ HILTON MAKES A POST, TOTES HAATING THESE FGGTS.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2008 10:08 AM

HA HA HA

For you Boston haters, the band performed earlier in the week at the middle east downstairs which is an 800 cap venue and that was "closed to sold out". Make you feel better?

They also opened for Death Cab for Cutie in Boston and did an East Coast run with Girl Talk. They are working very hard so lets wait till they make Rolling Stone till we start hating. OKay?

Posted by Joe | August 16, 2008 12:12 PM

whoa. people need to chill out on here.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2008 6:07 PM

what a great tune! went to myspace and loved "better things" also. can't wait to hear the album. I guess not eveyone likes the same music but there certainly is alot of talent here.

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2008 8:43 AM

Since they added the back bar, cap is way under 100, more like 65-75.

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2008 12:23 PM

WATEVER MY BANDS WAY BETTER, I HATE THIS BAND BC THERE MORE POPULER THEN MY BAND EVEN THO WE ROCK WAY HARDER THEN THESE NERD FAGS, ALL U PUSSYS NEED TO LERN A THING OR TO ABOUT REAL ROCK & ROLL, ESPECIALY IF U HAVE A BLOG OR SOME SHIT, SERIOSLY IF PICHFORK HEARD OUR SHIT THERE HEADS WOULD EPXLODE, THESE FAGS DON'T EVEN PLAY GUITARS WTF THIS ISN'T ROCK, THIS IS PUSSY MUSIC BY PUSSYS FOR PUSSYS THIS BAND CAN SUCK MY MOSNTER COCK HAHA FUCK THESE GUYS

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2008 5:44 PM

Ha Ha. Two of the members have degrees in guitar performance from the best contemporary music school in the world.

Posted by Jon | August 18, 2008 11:29 AM

...Look at them now suckers

Posted by Jaime | August 23, 2010 8:09 PM