Posted in music | pictures on August 7, 2008

Bloc Party by Chris La Putt, Foals by Bao Nguyen

Foal w/ a sore arm?
Foals @ Lollapalooza

Often accused of having a similar sound, and united together against the evil powers of Sex Pistol John Lydon (and McCain), Foals and Bloc Party both visited from the UK to play Lollapalooza this past weekend...

"the Foals provided the most pleasant surprise of the weekend. I knew nothing about these guys going in, but I did like what I was reading about them in all of the Lollapalooza previews. They were often described as math rock, but their punk-inflected vocals and dance-driven grooves reminded me a lot of The Rapture." [The Windy Citizen]
Bloc Party then moved on to NYC where they played Webster Hall last night (August 6, 2008)...
Bloc Party takes the stage with a false challenge. Lead singer, Kele Okereke says, "you know, New York, we're coming off some of the best shows of our career. You don't want to let Philly best you now?" Sure the band played Lollapallooza over the weekend but Philly? Telling a hungry New York crowd that Philly brought the noise is a bit like telling a speeding dump truck that there's a Kia at the of bottom of a hill that just won't move. Sure it will. Just watch. [32ft/second]
...and will again tonight (August 7, 2008).... Bao's Bloc Party pics from Lollapalooza are HERE. More pics Chris took at Webster Hall last night are below...right below the pics Bao took of Foals at Lollapalooza which are also below....

Foals at Lolla....

Bloc Party @ Webster...

Bloc Party @ Webster Hall

Foals cancelled their show at Osheaga the same weekend.

Bloc Party are also playing the Virgin Festival this upcoming weekend.

These guys need to eat some red meat.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2008 2:48 PM

more great pics, as usual..
how was the show?

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2008 2:50 PM

set list/set times?

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2008 2:50 PM

Setlist? Were people selling extras outside?

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2008 2:51 PM

So you say that music critique is dead these days? So you say that its filled with exaggerated and frankly incorrect hyperbole. Well read the whole review of last night's show at 32ft/second and see that you would be completely right. Shessh this guy is a tool among tools. What a horribly written and completely wrong account of the show last night. They should have just started out saying "I masturbate to Bloc Party every night" The show was pretty good but nothing crazy like this person makes it out to be. Actually somewhat boring as Bloc Party's music has sort of gotten. And i loved the first record. I mean look at the video they included. It does not back up one thing he said. Looks like a typical NYC show with people clapping along and some dancing but nothing even closely resembling the ape shit insanity they claim it was.

This is specifically why the comments on this and other blogs have become so nasty. People have lost their sense of what is good and what is truly extraordinary. So naturally others are just ripping you for it.

So fucking stupid.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2008 2:55 PM

The show sucked. I left halfway through the set.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2008 2:56 PM

anyone have a cheap ticket for tonight?
not a complainer here

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2008 3:02 PM

Bloc Party played from around 10:35 to just before midnight. Maybe not as crisp a sound as I've heard from them previously, but still fun if you're a fan. Setlist as follows:

1. Hunting for Witches
2. Positive Tension
3. Waiting for the 7:18
4. The Price of Gas
5. Here We Are
6. The Prayer
7. The Once and Future King
8. Mercury
9. This Modern Love
10. Song for Clay (Disappear Here)
11. Banquet

[First encore]
12. Like Eating Glass
13. Medley: I Would Die 4 U [Prince] / Flux
14. She's Hearing Voices
15. Helicopter

[Second encore]
16. Pioneers

Posted by Super-Extra | August 7, 2008 3:03 PM

Show was decent. First lp songs were good, new stuff ok. I like them, don't get me wrong, but the drummer looked like a complete TOOL with his shirt off at the bar afterwards.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2008 3:08 PM

You can buy a ticket at Webster around the door time. There were alot of people trying to sell tickets. Go to Webster at 8, you'll get one for less than face. :)

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2008 3:14 PM

You are so right, Anon 2:55. But readers are simple and stupid, much like Bloc Partys music.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2008 3:19 PM

Here's an idea, Anon 3:19--

You don't like their music? Don't go to the show. Don't buy their albums. Don't read about them here. I'm sure whatever you like is wonderful and superior and full of artistic integrity, so why not direct your energies there instead and leave BP to folks who enjoy their "simple and stupid" music?

I've never understood why so many people who profess to dislike bands spend their time reading about them on a blog...

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2008 3:25 PM

The short cover of Prince's I Would Die 4 U was pretty dope.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2008 3:46 PM

I can't remember the last time I saw a "hungry New York crowd". That reviewer is a complete moron.

Posted by CN | August 7, 2008 4:07 PM

This show was very, very good.

DIOYY were excellent as well. A few times the guitar wasn't as prominent as it should've been (namely on "Flux"), and that new song "Mercury" completely blows, but other than that -- excellent.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2008 4:17 PM

DIOY,Y offended me, yeah- big time. Like the happy mondays as a bloc party cover band.

Then Bloc Party- they had fun, the crowd had fun, the lighting guy had fun, and the fake ID makers made a fortune. But boy, have they gotten worse as a band. I hadn't paid attention to them since the first album (and saw them at Bowery in 3/05, IIRC, where they were ok), and I have no idea how they got to where they are today. Sensitive arena-rock wannabees- uggh.

This is as opposed to another "post-Franz Ferdinand class of '04/05" (if I have my timing right) band, the futureheads were pretty great at Pianos a few months ago. What a contrast.... http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2008/06/the_futureheads_7.html

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2008 4:29 PM

"There were alot of people trying to sell tickets. Go to Webster at 8, you'll get one for less than face. :)"

"And wearing a completely stuffed backpack during a show, a sold out, f'ing 100 degrees show, should be a crime."

SOLD OUT my ass. Bullshit sell out. They were selling tickets on Ticketmaster yesterday afternoon. And just like the person said above. Scalpers and regular folks outside by the truckload trying to unload tickets and getting no takers. I bought a ticket outside for 15 bucks. Again stop with the hyperbole, incorrect statements and outright lies and maybe the quality of the comments will get better.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2008 4:31 PM

DIOYY were on about 9:25
Bloc Party went on about 1025.

BP set? This isn't really in order but it was something like:
hunting for witches
waiting for the 718
the prayer
so here we are
mercury
banquet
this modern love
like eating glass
helicopter

came out for a second encore i think? i had left. i missed some, but that's close...

Posted by Foster | August 7, 2008 4:40 PM

sf kids are dumber than nyc kids then. i sold a pair of bloc party tickets to their fillmore show for $160. man, their new stuff is such trash.

your mom's mercury is in retrograde.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2008 4:57 PM

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2008 5:27 PM

Worst band in the world!

Posted by Sam Vander | August 7, 2008 10:17 PM

"as a nyc native, and current nyc resident, who ahs lived in and often goes to philly, i can say that without a doubt philly brings it much harder than new york at shows."

bahahahahahhahahahahhahaha

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2008 10:52 PM

Nobody likes Philly, and people from Philly will attest to this.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2008 11:14 PM

Gotta love the bands that pay lip service to indie rock and then pull out the arena cock rock cliches: "You don't want to let philly best you now?"
No! That would make me feel like my ability to rock was somehow inferior! I must rock harder! So you can feel my adoration, Mr. Rockstar!
This is the type of shit that makes me embarassed to be a rock music fan in the zeroes. Bozoes.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2008 11:40 PM

"I thought this was Killadelphia," said Kele Okereke, the singer of the London quartet Bloc Party, at the TLA on Tuesday night. "We were expecting something dangerous." He wasn't complaining, just inviting his audience to take a step into the unknown.

Hello Cleveland!

Posted by Anonymous | August 8, 2008 12:31 AM

11:40 - spot on.

Posted by Anonymous | August 8, 2008 12:40 AM

Don't know about Philly but I saw them Sat. night in Chicago. That was a damn good set with a drunken post-festival crowd. Best I've seen of the party. As the kidz say, killed it. A year or so ago at webster hall? Not so much. But enough bloc party...

foals! They were a definite highlight at lollapalooza. good stuff. I hope to see them again. Guy sounded like r. smith half the time but it was working mighty.

Posted by Anonymous | August 8, 2008 12:50 AM

Did anyone else think the guitars just didn't have enough "oomph" last night? The sound from the drums was great, but the guitars just sounded empty. Decent show though. Crowd was much more excited than the typical NYC show.

Posted by CN | August 8, 2008 8:25 AM

I remember seeing Bloc Party at the Knitting Factory ( I think it was their first US gig?) and they were awful even then..

Off topic, but the Futureheads killed it at the Bowery a few months ago...

Posted by Anonymous | August 8, 2008 9:36 AM

bloc party dude got some gnarly razor bump!

Posted by Anonymous | August 8, 2008 9:52 AM

god the foals. i love them so much. the album and yannis' little face.

Posted by yannis fangirl | August 8, 2008 9:55 AM

was at the show aug 6th at webster. tho bp started out slow, the show built to a total frenzy. but banquet the place was crazy, including myself banging away at the wooden awning on the balcony. ive seen them 5 times now, and this was the rowdiest nyc crowd ive seen them play too. they sounded great, tho u the shakiness of the replacement bass player was noticable. all and all a great show. some people are fans of a band, and some arent. what can u say? i loved it. best show ive been too in awhile

Posted by Anonymous | August 8, 2008 2:07 PM

awesome bloc party pics! nice to see complete heads and guitars for once!

Posted by Anonymous | August 8, 2008 11:39 PM

"In China they're having earthquakes - New York is having Bloc Party."

BV- You still provided a link to Mr. Gravity's Bloc Party "review" even after reading a line as unquestionably nonsensical as this? I mean, everything else about the description is ridiculously grandiose for a show I would bet my kidney was anything but; however, this line should have tipped you (and anyone else with half a brain) off that it's time close that window and get back to work. You must be getting really busy or lazy or both.

So gravity-boy I guess this means that 70,000 people dying instantaneously or through days of suffering trapped under concrete rubble with limbs severed and THEN dying....is somehow along the same lines as this Webster Hall crap-fiesta of has-been bands for irritable 16-year olds looking for a life-changing tidal wave of experience concert??

It's people like you that keep undeserving bands like this popular however, on the plus side, I guess it keeps you distracted enough so you don't start showing up to better shows and annoying the piss out of me by having a visual jerk-off session in the front row with whatever band you think is the next tidal wave of auditory delights.

Please move to the west coast, and die in an earthquake. Your family too. I will cover the expenses for your U-haul as I am sure you have nothing but your stupid attempt at music critique and a used Macbook.

Posted by Anonymous | August 11, 2008 2:52 PM

Can you email me with some pointers on how you made your site look this awesome, I would appreciate it.

Posted by miniclip | September 2, 2012 8:26 PM