Posted in music | pictures on August 25, 2008

photos by Juan Ramirez

Radiohead @ Outside Lands

Jim and Noemi Robinson and their kids braved the throngs at the State Fair in Sacramento this past weekend, hoping to avoid the Outside Lands throngs in their own San Francisco neighborhood. But when they returned to home Sunday afternoon, the crowds were still soaking up the rock concert in Golden Gate Park, and cars were still clogging up the Sunset District.

Every parking space on the Robinsons' block of 32nd Avenue was taken, including the motorcycle-size spot beside their driveway. And the drive itself was occupied by the car of a friend attending the concert. After a few minutes of scratching heads and making cell phone calls, they succeeded in begging space in a neighbor's driveway for their minivan.

"It's a pain," said Jim, though he kept his good humor.

Noemi was already thinking beyond the parking puzzle.

"Tomorrow's the first day of school in San Francisco," she said, tuning her ear to the throbbing bass line emanating from the park and thinking of her 9-year-old son. "Is that music going to be going at 10 p.m.? If I can hear it after his bedtime, I'm definitely writing a letter to the city."

The concert Sunday was scheduled to end at 9:10 p.m.

An estimated 150,000 people attended the weekend concert centered at the Polo Field in Golden Gate Park, which featured Radiohead, Beck, Toots and the Maytals and other acts. A blocks-long swath of the park was fenced to accommodate the six stages serving paying ticket-holders. On dusty slopes outside the fences, scores of other listeners sat drinking beer and basking in the sun. [San Francisco Chronicle]

Radiohead's setlist and more pictures below...

Friday, Aug. 22, 2008, Golden Gate Park

10. Videotape
11. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
12. Idioteque
13. Karma Police
14. Jigsaw Falling Into Place
15. Just
16. Exit Music (for a film)
17. Bodysnatchers

Encore:
18. Pyramid Song
19. You And Whose Army?
20. Paranoid Android
21. Fake Plastic Trees
22. Everything In Its Right Place

More recent Radiohead coverage HERE.

what? no comments yet. i thought that this was everyone's favorite band EVER...

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2008 10:44 AM

APW got two better sets

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2008 10:47 AM

They didnt play Creep whole tour. However this set is fantastic.

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2008 10:49 AM

*slaps 1047*

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2008 10:50 AM

"*slaps 1047*"

actually 1047 is right. not only does this setlist suck (with the exception of exit music), but there were also technical problems throughout the show. and apparently the fest in general was poorly run. its a shame, this was supposed to be an epic show

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2008 10:55 AM

"with the exception of exit music"

sorry, and talk show host

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2008 10:58 AM

talk show host and karma police be the only songs they didn't play here.

Posted by Tito | August 25, 2008 11:05 AM

only one encore and closing with everything in its right place?

APW got WAYY better sets.

Posted by cleavage girl | August 25, 2008 11:11 AM

nothing wrong with that set, save for it's only 22 songs.

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2008 11:12 AM

the slapping was for the whole "mine is better than yours" nyah nyah nyah 2nd grade bullshit.

sounds like the type of person who would unknowingly be given non-alcoholic beer at a party and then talk about how "wasted i was last night" the following day.

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2008 11:19 AM

The thing that pissed me off the most was them telling me not to park my car in the city. So I ended up using their public transportation system.I got into the nearby city at 5 took the BART and waited...I had to wait for a bus that stopped running.

I didn't get to the festival until 8:30pm and Radiohead was already a half hour in.

On top of that, when I did get in there where people in the back (the only place that I could get to) that wouldn't shut up. I moved around but it seemed to be contagious. I just wished that the first time I saw this band would have been better all around. I will fucking pay for better seats!

This is just my opinion. The little that I did see was just amazing. It was just a rocky beginning for me at this festival.

Posted by Ricardo Valencia | August 25, 2008 11:21 AM

ok, i'm about to stab myself in the eye for not going to APW. I hope they come back.

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2008 11:25 AM

short set. too bad.
it was well worth the money, time, and agony for those two night at liberty state park. 35 different songs, standing close enough to see mr. greenwood's fingers on the fretboard. priceless.

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2008 11:31 AM

on which song is jonny using a bow on his guitar?

Posted by fitterhans | August 25, 2008 11:32 AM

@ 1132: Pyramid Song

Posted by Brad | August 25, 2008 11:38 AM

No one's catching Puressence? It's the gig of the year!

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2008 12:07 PM

except for the fact that they played Talk Show Host, I think both nights of APW blew this set away.

Posted by Tumbleweed | August 25, 2008 12:08 PM

Posted by Fanatic | August 25, 2008 12:09 PM

How come no one told him he mispelled his name on his t-shirt?

Posted by Lt. Slothrop | August 25, 2008 12:10 PM

Dude, that setlist is nowhere near as good as the on-the-go playlist I made on my iPod last night! You guys missed out on the party in my headphones!

Posted by Lt. Slothrop | August 25, 2008 12:12 PM

post it, slothrop

im sure someone here will trash it..

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2008 12:15 PM

all the radiohead songs that i like are better than the ones you like.

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2008 12:19 PM

"This was the third time I got the pleasure of seeing Radiohead and I would have to say that minus the two times the sound cut out, their stage presence was amazing. Granted, they are much better to see at a solo venue than a music festival but the setlist they used was phenomenal. Talk Show Host was amazing and a song I have waited to see them play live for over 6 years now. 1047, I am not sure what you were expecting but just the fact that they played any songs from "The Bends" is a gift beyond measure."

fist of all talk show host is not on the bends, its a b-side on the single street spirit, bends era, yes, on the bends no. second they did play bends songs for apw, in fact 3, the bends, just, , and planet telex.

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2008 12:47 PM

nice Rogan t-shirt, Thom.... your own personal limited editions rule, eh?

Posted by iko-iko | August 25, 2008 12:53 PM

im glad that 'all points worst' turned out to be awesome. it will never be a coachella, but it was still worth the money/time/effort

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2008 12:58 PM

12:47 they did Street Spirit too!

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2008 12:59 PM

and Fake Plastic Trees!

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2008 1:00 PM

jonny is wearing a CTA shirt!!!

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2008 1:12 PM

Looks like APW shows were a little stronger, but I would have given my left nut to see Talk Show Host live.

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2008 1:16 PM

I want that CTA shirt! I already bought a black hoodie after APW.

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2008 1:17 PM

White People Like Scarves

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2008 1:31 PM

Love these guys, but the show was horrible in my opinion. In addition to the two big chunks of dead-air, the sound was horrible. Bad mixing, no bass, and I don't think the mid-stacks were even on (we were just in front of them, but we should have been able to hear something). Not good advertising for Meyer Sound, though I suppose the blame could be on someone else. And as others have mentioned, the crowd would just not shut-up, which certainly didn't help the sound situation.

Getting out of that place was truly harrowing. We squeezed with thousands of our new best friends through this little tunnel, only to be confronted by a veritable maze of fences. There were times I thought we were about to have a riot on our hands.

Thankfully our friends drove, so all 7 of us piled into their sedan. Every single street going East was slammed.

Hopefully they sorted out all the audio issues for the rest of the shows Saturday and Sunday.

Posted by chrisr | August 25, 2008 1:39 PM

Radiohead + live = incredible. Radiohead + Lollapalooza = the pinnacle.

Posted by BTW | August 25, 2008 1:40 PM

"How come no one told him he mispelled his name on his t-shirt?"

You misspelled 'misspelled'.

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2008 1:58 PM

what that setlist doesn't show is how great they rocked out and played around with the songs they did. the intro alone to national anthem was worth the price of admission. i was close to the stage and didn't have any problems with a noisy crowd, only bummer was the two times the sound cut out, other than that i thought the sound was spectacular.

btw, if you're at the back of the crowd at any festival you're gonna have people talking which is why you get there early to be up front.

Posted by matt | August 25, 2008 2:01 PM

the "york" t-shirt is probably for another english musical act called (wait for it)... "york".

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2008 2:23 PM

this set list is amazing.... "Talk Show Host?" Fucking Hell.

I love this band.....

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2008 2:25 PM

Very similar to APW except for a couple of tracks. Looks like a great setlist

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2008 3:31 PM

Blah blah Radiohead blah blah blah Better blah blah me blah Tom's shirt blah blah blah parking blah BARF.

Posted by greg | August 25, 2008 3:54 PM

poor you, greg.

I think Thom's shirt actually says "NEW York".

Posted by mj | August 25, 2008 4:24 PM

No, those are Greek (capital) letters: Upsilon - Omicron - Gamma - Kappa

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2008 4:32 PM

he's been misspelling "Tom" for all these years anyway...

Jonny making sweet love to his guitar and bow reminds me of the cello player in Ra Ra Riot.

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2008 4:36 PM

1:31 you must have been in a really shitty spot. "No bass?" I think i'll never forget how much bass I felt during The Gloaming or National Anthem. So much bass.
I was between the center and right side of the stage around 40-60 feet away. And when the sound did cut out most of the people started singing along until it came back on. You could tell it frustrated Thom and I think Ed gave a puzzled look to the sound booth.

As for the crowd, people stayed quiet and just sang with Thom.
The quality of the show really depends on where you were. From my spot the show was amazing. I am still in stunned.

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2008 5:12 PM

I mean, don't get me wrong: I appreciate a band that names a song and sings about the measure count of its drum loop, but the coverage and hype they get is just O.T.T.

Posted by greg | August 25, 2008 5:29 PM

Radiohead's APW shows were so much better (and a lot closer to home).  The sound went out TWICE during their set.  Thom apologized and said they didn't get enough time to set up (they had about 45 minutes after Manu Chao).  Before "You and Whose Army," he pretended there were further technical difficulties.  What a joker!  I didn't have a great view of the band but they definitely sounded a bit tired and slowed down.

Beck was very engaging during his set and played "Loser," "Devil's Haircut" and "Hell Yes," all back-to-back.  The Cold War Kids previewed mostly new material ("Mexican Dogs" captures their style) and also delivered "Hang Me Up To Dry" and "St. John."

Friday's pics: http://flickr.com/photos/playvicious/sets/72157606907263668/

Posted by KK | August 25, 2008 5:46 PM

Honestly, Outside Lands was crap. The promoters obviously had no idea how to manage a crowd that size. The layout of the stages was ridiculous, and getting between them was a nightmare. I wish I had taken a video of the people trashing the fence as they were trying to get between Beck and Radiohead. It was an ugly, uncivilized scene -- but that's what happens when you try to funnel 60K people through a passageway that's only 30ft wide. Shit gets chaotic real quick. And if you thought the beer lines at APW were long... ha.

I thought I'd be less annoyed when Radiohead came on, but then the audio kept cutting out -- and stayed off for like a minute each time. And once that issue got solved, the big video screen behind them stopped working. I think there were maybe 5 songs total that weren't mired by some sort of technical issue. At one point, Thom was just like "I don't know what the fuck is going on." I had to concur.

Of course, Radiohead's performance was fantastic (when you could actually hear them). It was GREAT to finally get Talk Show Host and Karma Police, after seeing the show 3 other times. But it's a shame that what should have been an utterly amazing night was tarnished by the incompetence of the organizers.

The whole experience gave me a lot more respect for Coachella, Lollapalooza and yeah, even APW. If you know what you're doing, it IS possible to throw a festival for tens of thousands of people and not have it be a complete clusterfuck. But those yahoos out in SF need to do some serious homework.

Posted by maitai | August 25, 2008 6:40 PM

why does everyone love their last album...it sucked. we saw them in camden and were thoroughly disappointed. saw them in 2004 twice and they were way better and more varied on their setlists from all albums

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2008 6:45 PM

Goldenvoice and its APW organization suck, but because some of these comments, it seems the NJ setlist were better. Personally, saturday at Staten Island was my best RH concert ever. But I insist, despite Goldenvoice and its stupid rules and bad manners.

Posted by Patrick | August 25, 2008 10:22 PM

i was at apw and outside lands and i have to say that radiohead was much better at outside lands than at apw. i enjoyed the set much more

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2008 2:40 AM

First off, they had a curfew at Outside Lands. Stipulation with the city's park & rec dept. meant everything had to be done by 10 PM. That's why the set was short.

Secondly, the sound was pretty good from where I sat, and the band fucking rocked. The fog and the wind played havoc with sound for a lot of bands and there wasn't much that the sound people (Meyer?) could do with such a huge area as the Polo Field, which got more atmospheric turbulence coming in from the ocean than anywhere else at the festival.

Thirdly, the band fucking rocked on Friday, and you setlist fanboys can eat shit and die.

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2008 4:22 AM

I was at APW both nights and Lollapalooza and at Outside Lands for Radiohead, I agree, APW, both nights ( The set lists ) were better and Loll., was the best of them all and 1st night at APW 2nd, if we are rating the sets. I did also see them in Amsterdam on July 1st and the set was just ok....

Now, having said all that, they sounded great every time, I love this band...

I miss them already!

Posted by Vader17 | August 26, 2008 1:23 PM

How in the hell are you people able to attend all of these festivals APW, Loll. and Outside Lands. Must have cost you your testicles during such expensive times.

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2008 4:51 PM

Assuming that you are male of course.

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2008 4:55 PM

i just have to say, seeing radiohead in general is almost like a privilege. i don't understand why ppl have to be so ungrateful and nit pick at the annoyances. what was done was done, it sucked, but there are worse things that could happen. at least you were graced by thom yorke's presence.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 1:19 AM

i think everyone needs to stop whining, the show was amazing. if you were at the front (like i was) after waiting all fucking summer to see the show, it was fucking spectacular, warts and all. outside lands needs to do a better job, but seeing radiohead after manu chao rocked the place was just heaven

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 2:06 AM

K, peeps . . . this is the deal. Outside Lands spent 5 years working out a deal with the city of San Francisco and the Parks & Rec Dept. to get the show put on. Friday was the 1st night. More people than expected showed up.

They had the usual 1st day event issues. They handled them pretty well. I did not see fights, mean people, etc. What I saw was a kick-ass show by Beck followed by a technologically challenged, but mesmerizing set by Radiohead. Like true professionals, they played thru the problems and made the performance memorable for all.

Btw, the remaining 2 days of the festival were great too.

Posted by g_ack | August 28, 2008 10:40 AM

OK

let me get this straight.

So Thom Yorke sings about being disgusted with seeing the label whores of LA (Paranoid Android) "Gucci Little Piggie"

Yet...

Here he is in a $100 Rogan tee.

Just sayin.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2008 4:53 PM

Ok.. i dunno why a lot of people are complaining about the set list and concert.. i thought it was brilliant.. first off.. 85 bucks for 22 amazing songs by Radiohead.. come on ..the set list was great.. obviously ther gonna sing a lot from ther new album... which is awesome cuz its an amazing freakin album.. has to be one of ther bests..and they mixed it up with some old.. and i loved that they played fake plastic!! and there there.. great stuff live! and about the concert.. the sound did mess up a few times but eh.. it happens.. move on! but overall amazing freakin show they put on.. love the light effects and all! cant wait for the next tour :)

Posted by Rupesh Patel | December 13, 2008 3:55 AM