Posted in music | pictures on August 12, 2008

most photos by Kyle Dean Reinford

Amadou and Mariam

Rodrigo y gabriela

Though I got there late on the first night (in time to see Girl Talk, some of Underworld and then Radiohead though), I did make the trek to Jersey City all three days of the All Points West festival this past weekend. Unfortunately (for the festival I guess?) I don't think there are not many people besides state police, ferry operators, festival staff and photographers that can say the same thing. The admission price was high and Sunday's lineup was not very popular (in this neck of the woods anyway). Sunday's crowd looked completely different than Friday and Saturday. Sunday's crowd looked like people that didn't mind paying close to $100 to see Jack Johnson, Ben Harper and Trey Anastasio. Saturday's crowd looked like people that weren't about to spend another $100 to see Cat Power, Rogue Wave and The Secret Machines in Jersey City on a Sunday.

Anyway, I went Sunday (to which I got very many "Why??"'s). I was most excited to see Amadou & Mariam followed by Rodrigo y Gabriela (the 'world music' segment of the show) followed by Cat Power. They are the three artists that started the day off on the same stage that Radiohead headlined the two nights before. And because I was in attendance at both of those Radiohead performances, it was extremely difficult to get myself moving back to Jersey City on Sunday early-afternoon. Somehow I did though. It probably took me about 90 minutes to get there, and the whole time I knew there was a good chance I'd miss A&M. When I finally did get there, it was about to rain and, for the second day in a row, I had to wait on a long line to get through the gate. Luckily for me, the impending rain also caused Sunday to start late. I heard it was because they were making the grounds a little safer and more waterproof before they let anyone in (I didn't confirm that). Because of the delay I got to see a song of Neil Halstead, a song of De Novo Dahl, and almost all of Amadou & Mariam who weren't a letdown, but all factors considered (early, gloomy, about to rain, small crowd, running late, frustrating commute, seeing Radiohead in the same spot the night before), I wasn't having the time of my life like I was when I saw the same group play Summerstage a couple of years earlier.

The schedule was all screwed up at this point, so from A&M I was able to run over and catch a decent amount of Rogue Wave on one of the smaller stages. They sounded great and weren't boring. I think that's when it started to drizzle. Not bad enough to seek shelter, but enough for the umbrellas (which supposedly weren't allowed in the venue) to start popping out. From Rogue Wave I headed back to the main stage to catch Rodrigo y Gabriela. As exciting as it was to see them again, it really started to pour during their set. Sick of getting wet, I moved to a covered area. I could still hear them from a distance, but it was hardly like being upfont. That's where I stayed until Cat Power.

Photos and video of the first two Sunday main stage sets below....

Amadou and Mariam...

Rodrigo y gabriela

Rodrigo y gabriela

Rodrigo y gabriela

Rodrigo y gabriela

Rodrigo y gabriela

APW

And these are more of Rod and Gab by Jefferson...

APW

the rest of Sunday is coming soon..

SNORE

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 11:29 AM

I thought the rain only made for a more dramatic RyG set. They were my highlight of that day.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 11:31 AM

jeez no one was there on Sunday - um wonder why?

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 11:33 AM

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 11:35 AM

"well, my dearest knight in shining armor that showed up for all three days -- how many of said days were you on the press list? (not to say you shouldn't have been; it's been great coverage... just curious)."

I was trying really hard to avoid sounding like a "knight in shining armor" while still trying to make the point that people did not go to All Points West all three days. And yes, I was there as press. There is a really good chance I wouldn't have been there all three days either.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 11:43 AM

when you say "rest of sunday", does that include trey too?

Posted by ryan freshbread | August 12, 2008 11:48 AM

whatever.
all these bands can be seen in better venues.
maybe not all at once but i can freely enjoy a beer
so disappointing to me that Radiohead, practically alone
qualifies as a festival

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 12:01 PM

that's a weird looking 6 string bass R&G are playing on

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 12:19 PM

"SNORE"

punch you. Stop breathing please.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 1:58 PM

SNORE as well

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 2:25 PM

"SNORE as well"

cover your nose and mouth while you sleep.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 2:32 PM

Sunday's crowd looked like people that didn't mind paying close to $100 to see Jack Johnson, Ben Harper and Trey Anastasio. Saturday's crowd looked like people that weren't about to spend another $100 to see Cat Power, Rogue Wave and The Secret Machines in Jersey City on a Sunday. What????

If you stayed for Trey, you would realize why people pay close to $100 on a Sunday early evening. You go for 3 days, and leave before the greatest guitar player at the festival (hands down) takes the stage? Come on, you know better than that. But i get it, it would be beneath you do something like that.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 4:44 PM

APW=Fail

Posted by NSFW | August 12, 2008 9:31 PM

so, someone tell me, honestly..... how packed was this festival? did people really only show up for radiohead? all photos/footage i see, it looks like there's honestly 100 people watching, even for animal collective.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 10:39 PM

Friday was like 2/3 empty up until Underworld came on, but by the time Radiohead came on it was pretty packed (makes sense, because contrary to many of the broke-ass douches who post here, some people work).

Saturday was packed all day, but a lot of people left to get beer during Animal Collective because they fucking suck live.

I didn't go Sunday.

Then again, they sold 20,000 tix Friday, 30,000 Saturday, and 10,000 Sunday, so... you do the math.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2008 10:46 PM