Posted in music | pictures on August 14, 2008

photos by Ryan Muir

Wilco @ McCarren Pool

Was Jeff Tweedy on edge last night at McCarren Pool (August 13, 2008)? Did he not like the crowd? I ask because of a few jabs he took during their approximately 2.5 hour mesmerizing (yes, I have a huge crush on them) set. I think he gave me a complex.

There was the "something is missing tonight" comment which after an awkward pause turned out to be about a gong that was on stage at their Cambridge Tanglewood show the night before. Jeff missed the gong, so drummer Glenn Kotche then did his best to recreate the sound of it.

Then there was the part when Jeff said something like, "Matrix [guitar tech] has heard that song we just played a lot of times, and he says we never played it that well. At least that's what I think Matrix meant when he said 'I cant wait to get out of here'. Just Kidding. He said he loved it". I can't remember the exact quote, but it was weird.

Jeff also criticized us for clapping the wrong beat to one song (which was pretty funny actually - not that the other stuff he said wasn't...) - he called the Brooklyn crowd 'free thinkers' - the term his father used for Bob Dylan (who played a show in a different section of Brooklyn one night earlier). Later Jeff told us to scream on his command because it made him feel powerful and helps him affirm what he is doing with his life (or something like that).

And last but not least there was the comment that definitely had only one meaning. That was the one when Jeff straight up dissed Brooklyn for not clapping in unison. He said something like, "Are you all too cool to clap?! Would it be better if we add the "Love Will Tear Us Apart" drum beat to it?!"" I realize Jeff is a comedian, but now there is also one person I know that considers him a mortal enemy for that one. Also, I mean, did he look at the crowd? It wasn't exactly a 'Pool Party'. This Brooklyn McCarren Pool show was definitely filled with the kind of (mostly male) people who like Wilco more than they like Joy Division (at least that's the generalization I'm going to make).

Great, packed show. Great setlist. 'Total Pros' is a good way to describe Wilco. It's also the name of Wilco's backing 3-piece horn/clarinet section that they had on tour and at this show with them. Jeff said Wilco would be back when they finished their next record. I can't wait for them to come back, and for the new record which I hope utilizes the full power of guitarist Nels Cline and drummer Glenn Kotche this time. They're working on the new album in between all this touring (that also included recent stops at the Baltimore Virgin Fest and Lollapalooza). (insert McCarren Car Pool jokes here). The Brooklyn setlist, and more of Ryan's beautiful pics below....

McCarren Park Pool setlist, 8/13/08

Via Chicago
Blood of the lamb (w/ clarinet)
You are my face
Hummingbird
IATTBYH
A shot in the arm
Side with the seeds
Misunderstood
Far far away
Impossible Germany
Pieholden suite (w/ total pros)
California stars (w/ total pros)
Handshake drugs
Pot kettle black
Poor places >
Spiders (kidsmoke)

encore 1
Jesus, etc.
Can't stand it (w/ total pros)
Hate it here (w/ total pros)
Walken (w/ total pros)
I'm the man who loves you (w/ total pros)

encore 2
Heavy metal drummer
Late greats (w/ total pros)
Kingpin (w/ total pros)
Monday (w/ total pros)
Outtasite (w/ total pros)
I'm a wheel

Jennifer O'Connor opened, but I didn't get there early enough to see her.

I was in the front, so I'm not really sure how the crowd was behind me, but from what Jeff was saying, it sounded like the crowd was lame. Again, I was in the front and going crazy, so I didn't see what was happening behind me.

As for Spiders, I've seen Wilco before and that clap thing has worked smashingly. That was another tip to me that the crowd was off.

As for the "love will tear us apart" comment. I never heard that. When did that happen?

And the night before, they played in Tanglewood. That's in the western part of the Massachusetts.

Posted by anonymous | August 14, 2008 4:22 AM

During "Spiders (Kidsmoke)," Tweedy tried to get the crowd to clap in unison and when people weren't all cooperating, he said, "Are you all too cool to clap?! Would it be better if we add the "Love Will Tear Us Apart" drum beat to it?!"
(jab at hipsters?)

Then when everyone clapped a polyrhythmic clap instead of a repeated single clap, they finished the song, left the stage for the encore. When Tweedy came back on stage, he said, "Now, we've played that song hundreds of times, all over the world even. And everyone does the clapping the right way (jab at Brooklyn? New Yorkers?), but you guys had to do it differently. I guess because you're all free-thinkers. Like my dad called Bob Dylan a free-thinker, I don't know what he was smoking...but anyways, my hat goes off to you for that (sarcasm or not?) But feel free to sing along and change the lyrics to this next song if you want..." and he leads into "Jesus, Etc."

BV, this is how music reporting should be done and no, I didn't bring a pen or pencil either.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 5:12 AM

cool, love Wilco, if they stop cancelling london gigs I'll photograph them at a certain point!!

Posted by liveon35mm.com | August 14, 2008 5:14 AM

In general, the crowd was pretty tame aside from a select handful in the front. I'm included in the tame category and feel that Tweedy should learn to chill and not chastise the audiences that don't go apeshit over a Wilco set. I say this because I've seen ten times now after tonight and I am honestly Wilco-ed out (for now). They are great and are one of my favorites, but they're not that riveting on repeated shows (sorry to all the diehards on that one). They're sets are great or decent until the encore(s) where they're always the same upbeat numbers (see entire encore 2 above). So we New Yorkers and faithful Wilco fans that get to see them a good deal more than say other towns/cities thus become more accustomed to these routine sets and songs. I find "Spiders (Kidsmoke)" a very annoying song. It's too long and monotonous so towards the end of it, the last thing I want to do is clap along and participate. I love them, I do, but they should really mix up their sets more. We're not in Tanglewood, we're free-thinkers as you've tagged us Tweedy so make a setlist more accomodating to us won't ya...

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 5:21 AM

P.S.

If you want to have a great Wilco experience, see them in Chicago sometime. I went to their 5 night stint at the Riviera this past winter and it was amazing. Not only because the played every song they've ever recorded live, but because the crowd is so respectful and engaged with their "hometown" band and vice versa. Jeff Tweedy isn't so snide when his dad and all of his dad's friends are in attendance in St. Louis.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 5:25 AM

the pictures are great and thanks for posting this late after the show and not mid afternoon the next day

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 5:31 AM

also, how come NY always gets the bad wilco openers (no offense to you Jennifer O'Connor)? the wilco leg up until McCarren Pool had Bon Iver open and the leg after Brooklyn has Fleet Foxes opening. C'mon now. They're making the most money at the NYC shows since the sell much more tickets and we get the lesser bands? Or is it because both of those other great bands have upcoming NYC dates and can't play because of their contract? i sure hope it's the latter.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 5:48 AM

I think Jeff meant all these things not to "diss" brooklyn, but just to have fun with the crowd. You guys need to lighten up and take a joke. It's Jeff Tweedy for christsake, he's one of the good guys.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 6:32 AM

"diss"?

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 6:46 AM

Sensitive much? Lighten up and relax folks, he was just having fun. I was about a third of the way back and the crowd was one of the most energetic I've ever seen, the clapping to Spiders was the most intense I've ever heard at a concert, and they played a very full and intense set.
A+

Posted by Justin | August 14, 2008 6:51 AM

Agreed.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 7:02 AM

crowd was lame

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 7:25 AM

"Would you have liked that better if we put a 'Love Will Tear us Apart' fill in there?"

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 7:26 AM

yeah... Jeff was just trying to be funny. Isn't being a little cranky his schtick? He's right to make fun of the crowd a little. NY (especially brooklyn) has quite the reputation, so he was just pulling our collective leg.

Posted by wembley | August 14, 2008 7:31 AM

Wilco is an awesome live band..that being said they need to drop several songs fron their live show that they play to death...

The following should be dropped!

Shot in the Arm (There are better songs on Summerteeth than to play this EVERY night)
I'm Trying to Break Your Hear
I'm The Man Who Loves You
SPIDERS (TERRIBLE, way too long and repetitive)
Heavy Metal Drummer
Jesus, ETC
I'm a Wheel

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 7:34 AM

Exactly, people need to relax, that was a great Rock & Roll show. Cmon, 2+ hours, great sound, nels cline totally killing it on some guitar hero insano mode.

Posted by chris | August 14, 2008 7:42 AM

The Joy Division line came in when Jeff asked "Is Brooklyn too cool to clap?". He then made the refernce that if Glen gets us a Joy Division "Love Will Tear Us Apart" beat maybe you will all begin to clap. Low and behold, after the jab the crowd began to clap.
Thought Tweedy was just being sarcastic with his comments and did not have ill will towards his fans.
Besides the comments I thought the show was excellent with an audience who were very into the music and dancin all around (at least where I was).

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 7:59 AM

so I'm guessing BV is a gal (due to the forementioned 'mesmerizing crush'). the review was a bit long though. brevity is always better.

Posted by PDiddy | August 14, 2008 8:07 AM

Did anyone else see Tim Robbins and Susan Sarandon in the crowd? There were sitting with the sound guys in the middle of the crowd. Well I don't know if Tim was sick or just "really enjoying himself" but during the third song he fell backwards off his chair. As he lied on the floor Susan fanned him and friends brought some water. Then the big man tried to stand up and fell again! He enjoyed the rest of the show starring at the stars. Well actually at the roof of the tent. I'm a big fan of both and I'm happy to say the lovely couple walked out during the first encore. Much Love.

Posted by G the Hit Man | August 14, 2008 8:09 AM

I think you might have been too senstive, BV -- Jeff Tweedy's always been somewhat of a grump, but I felt that last night most of his teasing of the crowd was good-natured. Yeah, Brooklyn is too cool for school sometimes, and the band's from Chicago, which has always had a "thing" with New York City. So it makes sense for Tweedy to rib us a bit.

As for the crowd, well, where I was there was too much talking and not paying attention to the music, by khaki-trousered and button-down shirt-wearing, banker-looking guys -- I never understand why people would elect to go to a show when they don't really want to listen to the music; shows are annoying enough sometimes, even when you love the band you're seeing -- but on the whole the crowd was decent.

And the band played a great show. Sometimes they can get a bit too low-key and laid-back, but when they hit, they hit tight and thrillingly. Late Greats was incredible, as was Hate It Here -- Those guys can turn on half a dime. This will be the last show I see in the Pool -- It was a great night to say goodbye to it.

Posted by Hunter | August 14, 2008 8:10 AM

I thought it was a great show.

I've only seen Wilco 2 other times and both were much more contemplative / downers. This was a fun rock and roll show.

I didn't take Tweedy's comments in a negative way. I think he's just sarcastic like that. I think it was kinda cool when we made up our own clap rhythm on Spiders.

Posted by Shabe | August 14, 2008 8:22 AM

I had so much fun last night. I thought Wilco sounded fantastic and I didn't pay attention to Tweedy's banter, although he seemed to be having a great time. Nels Cline is the motherfuckingman.

Posted by michaelways | August 14, 2008 8:30 AM

We didn't make up our own beat for the clap on Spiders. Glenn Kotche (sp?) was putting exactly that extra beat/clap down once the crowd got behind the initial more generic beat.

I haven't seen them tons but I have seen them 6 or 7 times in several cities over several years and they've definitely mixed up the set lists, (especially on back to back nights). To each his (or her) own but if you're going to criticize make the criticism legit. Or at least accurate.

As for the crowd I was standing towards the back and it looked to me like by mid-show most people were pretty into it. Just seemed like it was 80/20 with people who've just discovered Wilco in the past few years and those who remember Uncle Tupelo. That said both types seemed to be having fun to me. Great show. Was actually surprised by the low number of people acting like they were too cool to be there or to pay attention. And I don't live in Brooklyn so I'm not sticking up for the hipsters or the wannabe's.

PS - Yes we saw Susan Sarandon but she was down in the crowd mixing in when we saw her. Didn't see Tim Robbins.

Posted by Shake It Off | August 14, 2008 8:39 AM

Jeff Tweedy is, and has always been, an ornery bastard. It's part of the reason why he makes me want to throw my panties on the stage (talk to my therapist). Don't take it personally; he has insulted audiences across the globe.

Posted by Alison Byrne Fields | August 14, 2008 8:44 AM

By the way, great photos. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by Alison Byrne Fields | August 14, 2008 8:47 AM

The not mixing up the setlist is a legitimate complaint. Seen them 10 times heard the same 10 or so "Core" songs everytime post Ghost is Born Tour!

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 8:47 AM

i havent seen wilco since 2004 at radio city...i couldnt stand tweedy's rock star attitude that was developing. it didnt help that the band's new music began to suck.

best wilco show i saw was at town hall just after 9/11. everyone was having an amazing time.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 8:48 AM

i agree...jeff's gotta schtick.

dont be so sensative...it's ok to laugh. even if it is at yourself.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 8:53 AM

that's just bad reporting - you totally misinterpreted everything he said and made a mountain out of a mole hill. he was having fun.

I've definitely seen better Wilco shows, they seemed a half second off and a little tired, set list was kinda done but at least they played a ton of great songs that you love to hear them play.

late greats!

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 9:02 AM

Hmm...I saw that show at Town Hall and found it to be a bit of a downer. But then, I never liked Town Hall as a venue. No one stands. Can't have a beer a beer in hand. Bad sight lines. No energy.

I've seen Wilco in the NYC metro area on numerous occasions, and Tweedy always teases the audience. Harmless usually, but the worst I've ever seen him was at a special NYU student-only show at Irving Plaza. It was a few years back and cost only $5. Catch was, you needed an NYU ID to get in. Luckily I had one from my grad school days, so me and a pal went. We felt older than dirt, but Tweedy kept the youngin's at bay with his numerous (occasionally nasty) quips about kids being out of touch. I remember he also skewed the set-list to older songs (including a little Tupelo), which my friend and I appreciated, but the NYU students had no clue about.

As for lat night: this (gasp) khaki, button-down shirt wearing guy wasn't talking, he was enjoying the music. Good set list, with a good mix from all their albums. Back in the YHF days, they only played new songs, so I liked this type of show better. I think everyone can agree that we need more Summerteeth though!

Posted by HandlemanStabone | August 14, 2008 9:02 AM

amazing show.

the crowd started off lame but as it grew darker, people seemed to have more fun. it's harder to be so self conscious in the dark. maybe.

i danced my ass off. good times.

Posted by grace6697 | August 14, 2008 9:03 AM

that joy division line hilarious. i don't really care for Wilco (my favorite album of theirs is A.M., if you can believe it), but I have a new respect for them now.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 9:04 AM

The Massachusetts show was 2.5 hours west of Cambridge.

Also, we got the nudie suits!

Posted by Louis Penis Cartographer | August 14, 2008 9:07 AM

About the clapping,

He was giving props to the crowd that we changed it, he said " I gotta hand it to you, we've done this all over the world and everyone does it the way you're supposed to do it, but you changed it" He was giving BK props for originality!

All those little comments were just Jtweeds being funny, I think he was psyched on the show, thats why they played so long and so balls out.

the Poster here is WAY to sensitive.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 9:07 AM

good show. - not the best seen but really good. Tweedy and his chicago sense of humor - all in good fun. Anyone see when Kotche was standing on his drumkit and jumped off to start a song?

One thing I did notice was that there were way fewer crowd members on cells and talking than most shows I've seen at NYC/Brooklyn.

Sound was okay for instruments but vox seemed low in mix. oh well its an old concrete pool.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 9:22 AM

I thought I saw Dave Pirner walk by me. Anybody else?? Sounds like Tim Robbins couldn't handle his intake.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 9:28 AM

I thought it was a great show...maybe a little slow in the beginning and I wouyld have like to have heard more bust outs. It's always the same copuple from Being There... Where's my "what's the world got in store" or "dreamer in my dreams," or "hotel arizona?" I know they know it since they played their entire catalog back when they did that residency in Chicago...oh well. Maybe they thought the BK crowd wouldn't be down with so much earlier stuff.

Also interesting that they only did like 2 from a ghost is born...

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 9:31 AM

take that back...they did a bunch from AGIB

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 9:33 AM

I'm not sensitive. I enjoyed every minute of it.

Posted by brooklynvegan | August 14, 2008 9:35 AM

"Also interesting that they only did like 2 from a ghost is born..."

thats pretty standard, they always play a lot off of yankee hotel and blue sky

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 9:36 AM

This was a GREAT show. This reporter is just dead wrong and has NO sense of humor. Lighten up Dude. This was a stellar set. Some old stuff some new gems. BV.....get a new reporter. How this guy can be so far off from the feel of this show is AMAZING. Everyone had a great time.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 9:38 AM

Fewer crowd members on cells because I'd say average audience member age was 35. Not the hipster punk "my father doesn't love me crowd" that Sundays perpetually drag out, who are using their cell phones (that, ironically, their fathers probably pay for) to find out where the best PBR specials are that night.

Totally saw Susan and Tim hanging up, they were up in VIP with their kids for a minute then out into the crowd. Did anyone else catch them at APW? We were behind them for the Roots, that man is freakishly tall.

I need a good laugh now, I think I'll pop in Mystic River.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 9:40 AM

They did 5 off of Ghost

Spiders
Late Greats
Handshake
Wheel
Hummingbird

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 9:40 AM

I've seen Wilco a bunch in 5 states and last night kicked ass! I snuck backstage after the show (certainly a first for me - but it felt right) and talked to Glenn, Nels, and Jon for a while they all said that they were having a great time. Jon and I chatted for a while about fly-fishing and their upcoming Wyoming show. At the end he was effusive about how much fun everyone in the band was having, Tweedy included. To me that is what matters and why I had so much damn fun.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 9:41 AM

i like this set better than the tanglewood show...more Being There is always a good thing

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 9:42 AM

Tweedy is just one sarcastic dude. Pretty much part of the show. I thought the show was tremendous. Tweedy has an underrated voice and Nels Cline is just astonishing on guitar. I became a fan of the band when he joined.

Don't really get the complaint about the setlist as it is not like they play in this area every six months.

I thought it was a good crowd and I moved around all night. I leaned against the scaffolding where the soundboard was for part of the show and leaned against the railing up front on the left toward the latter part of the show. I do agree that a better opener would have helped the crowd during the beginning of the show.

My only complaint was that I got there at 7:00 and did not get in for a half hour due to the lines moving slowly. By the time I got in (during the first song) there were still hundreds on line.

Posted by Adam | August 14, 2008 9:43 AM

Ha. You all take yourselves way too seriously. Brooklyn has a reputation, and it is continually upheld. Last night was no exception. That said, who cares? Tweedy was vaguely funny, and his set was great.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 9:43 AM

i think the reporter was BV

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 9:43 AM

They were tunning the drums from 7-730. No joke. I am not sure if the hold up was for the lines?

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 9:45 AM

What was up with that one "Total Pro" who showed up late during their first son? I think that rubbed Jeff wrong. Ah, the perils of taking a dump when you're due onstage, i guess.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 9:46 AM

first song, i mean.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 9:46 AM

I had an extra ticket that a friend gave me and I was bored for most of the show. I want to get it, I just don't. Oh well.

I saw Jesse Malin walking around. I saw him the night before at Oberst. I guess we are on the same concert circuit!

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 9:48 AM

does jeff tweedy offend you, yeah?

Posted by jason | August 14, 2008 9:53 AM

The crowd was lame. Why didn’t people shut the eff up and listen to the music? Way too much chatter during the first part of the show. I had to move several times.

As for the “khaki-trousered and button-down shirt-wearing, banker-looking guys.” I wish I could have gone home and put on a clever T-shirt and old jeans like most of the crowd, but I had to go the show straight from work. Stop hating on the working man music fan.

Great Pictures

Posted by L | August 14, 2008 9:54 AM

It's not hating on the working man ... it's describing the garb of those who were turned around, completely not facing the show, and discussing business or whatever while daintily holding their glasses of wine; and, in turn, hating on those guys. I don't care what you're wearing, as long as you're digging on the show. I work, too, and have to wear work-wear ... there was a guy in front of me wearing a suit, but he was really into it, him and his girl. Not so with the banker-looking guys I described ... I just don't understand why people want to come to a show when they don't care at all about the music, and do nothing but talk to their "associates" the whole time. Networking must die.

Posted by Hunter | August 14, 2008 9:59 AM

I thought the one clapping comment was part of his "Williamsburg people" are wierd comical theme but also acknowledging that we were clapping creatively (my section of the crowd was just subdividing one of the beats and sounded totally tight). He also would have done better to make fun of a different demographic because there were not many hipsters there at all. That said, I've heard a lot about his sarcasm and was glad to get a taste.

This was my first Wilco show and I thought the band's energy was better than that of the crowd but both were pretty decent for the encores.

Beer system was just plain retarded.

Posted by Andy | August 14, 2008 10:01 AM

"BV.....get a new reporter."

Best comment ever.

Posted by Louis Penis Cartographer | August 14, 2008 10:05 AM

"my section of the crowd was just subdividing one of the beats and sounded totally tight"

Anyone got Tweedy's email address. I will forward this comment to him and await his amusing response...

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 10:05 AM

he wasn't commending you idiots on "creative clapping"...he was making light of the fact that Brooklynites will shamelessly try to make anything "their own".. even if its as trivial as a simple clap-along part.

Posted by nick | August 14, 2008 10:05 AM

Posted by ian curtis' fossilized ballsack | August 14, 2008 10:06 AM

The show the night before was at Tanglewood, not Cambridge. It was excellent, and they all wore Nudie suits, making it far more sparkly.

Posted by sewster | August 14, 2008 10:09 AM

There was some guy by us that seemed really into it and was bouncing around, but he kept yelling out "What's wrong with you people??? Why aren't you dancing???" Over & over again, and he was getting pissed about it. How F'ing Annoying!!! I wasn't enjoying the show in his way so he had to ruin the way I was enjoying the show by screaming out his dipleasure for not exhibiting my pleasure properly according to his standards. I like people less & less everyday. Actually, that's not true....I like you. Really. Well, maybe not you, but those guys over there are alright.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 10:09 AM

the show was terrific and the night/weather even better. cool breezes in august? if this is global warming, sign me up!

who could complain about that 27 song setlist? the last four songs of the main set starting w/handshake drugs were just incredible.

Tweedy's voice was in top form and Nels and Glen are a show unto themselves.

this was my first and likely last show at mccarren and I thought the sound and sightlines were just fine.

Posted by heavymetaldrummer | August 14, 2008 10:09 AM

most artists, especially in rock, don't like hipsters, even if they used to be one...they're boring

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 10:16 AM

Posted by Regular reader | August 14, 2008 10:17 AM

Great show! Came all the way down from Orange Co. and I had a great time. My friends and I managed to get pretty close to the stage and from where I was standing at least, the crowd seemed to be very enthusiastic. As for playing with the crowd, that's what Tweedy does. I, for one, thought it was lighthearted and funny. Lighten up BV, it was Wilco, outside, on a nice summer night...what's not to love??

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 10:17 AM

My friend and I were up front....There was a group of bros from LI. Very lame. They kept screaming stupid requests and singing along to every.single.song. I'd like to hear Jeff Tweedys voice, not some 18 year old "bros". Normally I wouldn't mind some excitement, but these turds were so annoyingly immature. Ugh.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 10:19 AM

Also, if a band has to ask the crowd why it isn't dancing, or if a band has to encourage an audience to dance, there's a problem with a band not inspiring people--not with the audience!

Posted by Regular reader | August 14, 2008 10:19 AM

no, brooklyn is not too cool for the clap. all the chicks here got it.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 10:21 AM

"Hipster bashing makes people look bitter and lame."

kind of like a hipster?

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 10:23 AM

"Hipster bashing is really lame, whether it comes from posters on Brooklyn Vegan comments or from Jeff Tweedy onstage. Hipster bashing makes people look bitter and lame, even more so with a microphone in front of thousands of people."

Correct. Hipsters are irreproachable. We will get the word out.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 10:24 AM

Cheers to them for starting at 7:30 on the nose and playing right up to the 10pm curfew.

While a lot of people above are complaining that they haven't rotated the back catalog songs enough, the only downer for me (and i've seen them many times) was that we didn't get the two NEW songs that have been played in other cities on this leg of the tour.

but - Pieholden Suite with the horns? Hell yeah.

Posted by mc | August 14, 2008 10:24 AM

"no, brooklyn is not too cool for the clap. all the chicks here got it."

ziiiiiiiiiing

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 10:25 AM

did you get your twenty dollar ticket?

Posted by moldymind | August 14, 2008 10:26 AM

Mmmmm....Pieholden. That was amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 10:27 AM

if i remember correctly, before the "creative clapping" began, tweedy made a comment about creativity or something of the sort and said something to the effect that someday you'll get there. does anyone remember what i am talking about? it was thereafter that he got the clapping going and the crowd switched it up. pretty sure he was happy with the outcome.

this bv post is really, really bad music journalism. someone brought there 8th grade sibling, kid, whoever, to the show and had them write it up.

Posted by anon | August 14, 2008 10:36 AM

Jezus. It's called a joke, BV. Way to make a mountain out a molehill. It was a great show. I was around the edges and people were so incredibly lame. One girl complained that it was too loud. Seriously?

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 10:37 AM

Conrad Keely was present last night, standing in the back right above the pool.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 10:40 AM

the crowd last night was completely lack lustered. im going to see them in chicago because fans will get into the show. i had this douche in front of me who told me to be quiet? it's an outside concert that i paid for, you douche bag. it's not as if i had a guitar and amp playing along. brooklyn has too many pompous assholes, thinking theyre better than anyone else. tweedy had all the right to mock the crowd. fuck you brooklyn, i'm through with your shitty fan following. and i'm actually from brooklyn.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 10:40 AM

I haven't seen it done successfully at other Wilco shows, but the clap-along seemed to fall apart not due to a "free-thinking" crowd but because Jeff's instructions were a bit vague. He was encouraging the audience to "change the beat, make it your own," and the crowd followed accordingly. The whole thing only fell apart when the band appeared to finish the song and the crowd broke into applause instead of keeping it going.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 10:40 AM

Good show, good venue, not so great vibe. I didnt give tweedy's comments a second thought so that didnt bother me at all. what i didnt like was the horrific beer situation and the alpha-male vibe in general. people need to relax

Posted by anon | August 14, 2008 10:41 AM

"Jezus. It's called a joke, BV. Way to make a mountain out a molehill."

the review I think was supposed to be a joke back. Way to make a mountain of of molehill.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 10:42 AM

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 10:44 AM

Maybe BV has not been in a great mood the last couple of days. Both the Bob Dylan and Wilco write-ups completely missed the mark for me. I thought both shows were fantastic. Jeff was definitely complimenting the crowd, not criticizing them.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 10:44 AM

Summerteeeeeeeeeeth.
Makes me feel fine.

Posted by Dee | August 14, 2008 10:49 AM

"Maybe BV has not been in a great mood the last couple of days. Both the Bob Dylan and Wilco write-ups completely missed the mark for me. I thought both shows were fantastic"

no, dylan was awful

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 10:51 AM

We got a few album-sequence pairs:

Misunderstood > Far far away
Pot kettle black > Poor places
Monday > Outtasite
I'm the man who loves you > Heavy metal drummer (OK that one's backwards)

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 10:55 AM

should my poo be green like this?

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 10:59 AM

Can someone tell me a bit more about the hand clapping please? and also hipsters.

Posted by jim | August 14, 2008 11:00 AM

"Also, I mean, did he look at the crowd? It wasn't exactly a 'Pool Party'.
This Brooklyn McCarren Pool show was definitely filled with the kind of (mostly male) people who like Wilco..."

should read "This Brooklyn McCarren Pool show was definitely filled with the kind of (mostly male PUSSIES) people who like Wilco..."

thanks

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 11:01 AM

The only way I judge a crowd is by how hard it would be to fight my way out of it if things got dicey.

Iron Maiden concert? I don't last a sweaty lick.

Belle & Sebastian? I'm knockin' pasty skulls together while whistling Dog on Wheels.

Wilco? Somewhere in between.

So last night, with its combination of "bros" and "hipsters" that you all seem to love or loathe, would have made for an interest bit of pugilism. Thus I support that crowd, clapping, not clapping, dancing, not dancing, yapping on phones and everything else. More interesting that way.

And if Nels Cline steals another of my solos, he is getting such a smack...

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 11:02 AM

So I gather the pool was full of a bunch of dudes, plus Susan Sarandon. Sounds like a party!

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 11:03 AM

way to over analyze.
you know i like this site and i generally agree with the musical tastes, but please,
since when is every concert all about you.
bag of whiney pussies ye are

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 11:04 AM

didn't go to the show, don't really get into wilco (although glen is dynamite)...but those are some great photos!

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 11:04 AM

the pool is an awful venue. sound quality sucks. crowd not focused on the music. lines long. beer warm.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 11:10 AM

Didn't think those were jabs at the crowd. I also missed the "too cool to clap comment". I thought he was genuine with the free thinkers comment, veyr funny and creative. I thought it was more of a jab at Matrix and not the crowd about the "can't wait to get out of here" line. The only knock was when some person yelled out for Black Eyes and he said "that ship has sailed a long time ago, where have you been" and probably deservedly so. He is know to take jabs at the crowd for the things they yell at him, he did so a couple more times during the show, mostly funny nothing to severe, short jabs at crowd comments.

Nice show, but the Warsaw show had a lot more energy, last night we were tamed by rock and roll. You can tell that the band is done touring on Sky Blue Sky and needs some new inspiration (that's why the horns were out for this tour to add a little spice for the band). Fun time, good stuff all around, highlights were Kingpin, Shot in the Arm, The Wheel, Hate It Here, Walken, California Stars with horns, Poor places, late greats.

Posted by rescueblues | August 14, 2008 11:13 AM

Never heard California Stars live before. It was a nice treat.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 11:13 AM

"dylan was awful"

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 11:16 AM

i was up front. the show was amazing apart from the idiots loudly shouting along to the songs at some moments. but you've got it ALL wrong BV, tweedy and his crew were genuinely having a good time. it was amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 11:18 AM

11:02 ever been to a Korn concert? that crowd would destroy Iron Maiden crowd.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 11:23 AM

"Yes, right. Also The Beatles suck. And Radiohead, Arcade Fire, and Sigur Ros are bigger geniuses than Beethoven and Mozart combined."

finally someone is making sense!!! (tehe tehe)

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 11:26 AM

Korn? Really? Half would be mopey acne farmers who were dropped off by Mom and Dad. Granted, many Iron Maideners would be pushing their 50s, but they've definitely felt the wrong end of a brass knuckly once or twice.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 11:27 AM

Great pictures, but what a disappointing review. Try writing about the show and not make everything about you. You somehow misinterpreted every single thing Tweedy said. He was clearly joking. I was in the front row and it never occurred to me he was pissed off or taking shots at the crowd. Have you never been to a Wilco show? He does it every time. Or maybe I just didn't care because I was listing to the great music, and not concerning myself with the hero worship/imaginary relationship I have with the man singing on stage. This post belongs in your diary, not on this site.

Posted by Otm Shank | August 14, 2008 11:27 AM

Awesome photos Ryan!

Posted by Kurt C. | August 14, 2008 11:28 AM

ANON 7:34 is a retard.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 11:30 AM

11:27 you should have seen Korn fans killing each other last year at South Street Seaport. Maiden is more mainstream like audience, like Metallica even. although a hardcore show, I dont even want to be in the same neighborhood when that happens. I run away like a big pussy from that scene.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 11:31 AM

his friendly comments when he played out in the wild west (grand junction, colorado) made some folks walk out of the theater. [why they would ever leave when nary we get a band like wilco playin' this town, I have no idea.] "You are some good hardy mountain folk. Sturdy." Some of these sensitive sturdy types ditched out. The truth can sting -- be it in brooklyn or western CO, even when said w/ a tweedy smile.

Posted by wookin' panub | August 14, 2008 11:35 AM

"i had this douche in front of me who told me to be quiet? it's an outside concert that i paid for, you douche bag. it's not as if i had a guitar and amp playing along."

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 10:40 AM

Maybe you were the annoying duchebag, and the guy in front of you was having his experience ruined because of you. I had two douchebags behind me who wouldn't shut the f up. They would alternate between singing out loud, and then talking loudly. And yeah you paid for an outdoor show, but so did the guy in front of you.

I paid 50 bucks a ticket to see and hear WILCO. I did not pay to hear drunken fratboys sing along with Tweedy, and definitely not to hear their inane conversations about stupid shit.

Have respect for other people. If everyone is sitting, sit. If everyone is standing, stand. if the crowd is singing along, by all means, do the same. But if everyone is quietly enjoying the amazing musicianship on the stage, then shut the fuck up, and applaud as loud as you want at the end of the song.

Posted by Kurt C. | August 14, 2008 11:40 AM

1130..you satisifed with the same songs over and over again? I see Wilco maybe 2 or 3 times a tour and those songs suck the life out of their show. If you enjoy it more power to you.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 11:41 AM

Wow. It really was an amazing night. I would not say it beat out the infamous Warsaw show by anymeans, but the setlist at McCarren was really new and innovative. I really had a great time and it was so nice to meet other awesome Wilco fans. Everyone should stop complaining about the small things, and just take it all in. Thank you Wilco!

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 11:46 AM

11:40 AMEN.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 11:47 AM

I also want to say cheers for the 7:30 start and playing all the way up to last minute @ 10:00. THANK YOU WILCO! I had a great time dancing and singing and clapping along, don't really care too much what the people around me were doing. To each his own...some people stand, some people sit, some people dance and clap hands and others don't. I do think there was a lot of newer fans there as well as older ones with higher expectations. I can't remember a Wilco show that I've been to when Jeff isn't a sarcastic bastard. I personally think it's funny. Overall, from where I saw the show (which was pretty close) it was great! I have seen them a million times and yes I have seen MANY of the same songs, but you have to admit that they are so tight as a band and they are a group of talented musicians. I saw the whole band smiling all night, sign of a good show for sure! They were solid last night as with most nights and if I have to hear 5 Ghost Is Born songs to get a handful from older albums so be it. I had a great night!

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 11:48 AM

Jeff knows exactly what he is doing. Why would there be so much debate in this thread if Brooklyn wasn't so insecure and defensive about its hipster self. Much of the crowd was not a Pool Party crowd and i doubt cared about his comments. If you thought about his comments for more than 2 seconds and weren't amused about them then you are exactly the reason why the Brooklyn reputation exists. Hipster bashing is popular for a reason.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 11:50 AM

"he wasn't commending you idiots on "creative clapping"...he was making light of the fact that Brooklynites will shamelessly try to make anything "their own"" - his instructions at the beginning of the clap-along were to "take this beat - it's yours - make it your own." Everyone around me seemed to understand that to mean the same thing - get creative (and I'll repeat, we sounded great).

Posted by Andy | August 14, 2008 11:54 AM

The ones complaining on this site are the people who probably aren't very familiar with pre-Yankee Hotel Foxtrot songs that Wilco played quite a lot of. Vegan, I have to disagree completely with your review of the show. I wasn't at the fabled Warsaw show, but I've seen them about 4 times now and last night was one of the better setlists I've ever seen them play.

You couldn't even take some harmless jokes from Tweedy last night (the Joy Division joke made me laugh out loud, esp when i saw some skinny jean wearing kid start going nuts with Glenn played the drum beat from Love Will tear us apart briefly).

Did those things really bother you enough to take away from how good the show was? Were you really offended by the clapping comments? Because they were actually compliments. People, get over yourselves.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 11:54 AM

amen, 11:50.

it was refreshing to see some umm...regular people at the pool last night.

Posted by grace6697 | August 14, 2008 11:58 AM

How come everyone missed the key line Jeff said at the end of his "rant" about the clapping...? No one was listening? If anyone had heard him say something like, "That was wonderful" after clearly being sarcastic about not liking the clapping, it would have invalidated everything said here.

Ridiculous. Great show, no question. Depending on where you were, the crowd wasn't so bad... except for the loud, talkative frat boys.

Posted by Brian F. | August 14, 2008 12:01 PM

Can we talk about the real issue with this concert - Brooklyn Brewery completely shitting the bed with the beer. I waited in line 10 minutes before being told that they were out of canned beer at the area i was at. At the draft tents they were filling beers to order and the wait was 15 minutes for a beer. I probably would have gotten out of line if i hadn't purchased non-refundable beer tickets.

Here's an idea: Accept cash and fill as many beers as possible and hand them out as quickly as possible. I think fans would rather drink a beer that is 3 minutes old rather than wait in line 15 for a fresh one, but maybe thats me. Some how Budweiser figured out how to do that at the Black Keys show and I watched most of the concert from the crowd, not the beer line.

Maybe Brooklyn Brewery is why Jeff hates Brooklyn... ZING!

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 12:05 PM

it coulda been like poughkepsie where he stops and offers to let cell phone talkers in the back finish their conversations before he continues and goes on to wonder aloud why people pay money to see someone and then spend the whole time talking amoungst themselves. i think he was tame and well behaved comparatively.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 12:06 PM

oh bv. you got this one wrong. really wrong.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 12:06 PM

Beer tickets are refundable. We got cash back so we could get wine instead.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 12:08 PM

haha I wonder if this clearly very sensitive BV "reporter" is crying yet.

you people are brutal. keep it up.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 12:09 PM

In summation:

Jeff Tweedy hates Brooklyn.

Susan Sarandon hates hipsters.

Hipsters hate frat guys.

Wilco was better before they ever played any shows.

McCarren Pool should not be experienced by anyone at any time.

Korn's "Issues" is the most important rock album of the last 20 years.

Posted by Dr. Important Q. Relevance | August 14, 2008 12:12 PM

fuck wilco and fuck brooklyn.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 12:21 PM

i felt like jeff tweedy buttered up the crowd like whoa.
it was the best show ive ever been to in my life.
hands fucking down.

Posted by meredith | August 14, 2008 12:26 PM

"like whoa"? you better be hot.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 12:28 PM

love wilco and love brooklyn.

Posted by christophers | August 14, 2008 12:29 PM

A great show people. I love the pool. In 20 years, people will be talking about the "legendary concerts" held at the pool like they do today about the great shows held at the West Side Tennis stadium in the early 80's--(Squeeze, Talking Heads, Elvis and the Attractions) and the Dr. Pepper concerts at the Wollman Rink in the late '70s. Yes, there are acoustics issues but walking up to the front takes care of most of that. It also takes care of the khaki-clad evil doers there to ruin your night. True, the beer line sucked but at least I had a great sight line and could hear the music while waiting for my beer. What is not to like? Great weather, sun setting, live tunes. I hadn't seen the band since the Radio City show. Was so glad I went last night. Jeff is a real music treasure and the band is out to entertain. And special thanks to the guy who gave me a free ticket out front.

Posted by smack | August 14, 2008 12:30 PM

meredith, just what other concerts in your experience are you comparing last night's show to? like whoa, probably not too many

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 12:34 PM

Right on, 12:30pm. Well said. Sure, there were annoyances (beer lines, mostly, and the occasional annoying person) but all in all? Great show. Sound was great, the performance was great, and hell - it was a perfect summer evening in what really is an awesome venue, with a great band and an appreciative crowd... What's not to love?

I don't get people who want to dwell on the negative. To each their own, I guess.

Posted by yeah right | August 14, 2008 12:39 PM

12:39, did you know that when the Bear Mountain Bridge opened in November of 1924, it was the first highway bridge to cross the Hudson south of Albany and the largest suspension bridge in the world? Those were the good old days. I saw the Carter Family not too far from there. Great show. Polite crowd. But Wilco was much, much better.

Posted by Yeah Right | August 14, 2008 12:46 PM

two things:

in regards to the every post with the goddamn word "hipster" in it, you idiots take that word and it's nonexistent (i repeat, NONEXISTENT NONEXISTENT NONEXISTENT) meaning WAYYYY too fucking seriously.
if you're long out of your teenage years, you should be ashamed to be using that word in such a serious tone, or ANY tone at all.

so that's one.

another thing is the Wilco show at Warsaw last year was somewhat "underdiscussed", maybe because it was coupled with the Ryan show at Hiro.
but nevertheless, i encourage everyone that posted here or hasn't posted but is just reading to search the post of the wilco show last year. nothing but great comments because the show was undeniably amazing.
i don't know what happened last night, cause i unfortunately had no tickets, but it's a shame when the majority of 132 comments are extremely and nauseatingly idiotic.
as disappointing as some of you may think last nights show was, it's nowhere near as disappointing as shit threads like this are to read.
fuck off BV.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 12:48 PM

I saw them in Tanglewood on 8/12. Glad I saw them there instead of here in BK. It was beautiful and it seems they played a much better show. I have seen Wilco before (about 4 years ago). They were boring. This time they were inspired and animated. The 2.5 hour set was exciting. I will return to Tanglewood next year to see them. Based on their reactions to playing there, I assume they will be back.

Posted by J | August 14, 2008 12:57 PM

Mmmm... The Clap

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 12:59 PM

Surprised there aren't more people talking about how perfect it was to lounge outside the venue on the grass, drink beer (no lines!), lie down, talk, eat and have an incredible set of background music for free. Yes, of course the sound wasn't perfect and we couldn't see the band or make out the banter, but I'm telling you, it was great nonetheless.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 12:59 PM

"So I'm guessing BV is a gal (due to the forementioned 'mesmerizing crush'). the review was a bit long though. brevity is always better."

Best comment in a while.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 1:06 PM

What happened with the clapping, again?
Does Jeff Tweedy really like me?
What should I wear to the next show so that people will like me?

Thank you to the bespectacled, bearded man who sold us his extras. Made our night and a fine night it was!

Posted by BPstyler | August 14, 2008 1:06 PM

Why am I reminded of the Dave Chappelle "Playa Haters' Ball" sketch? "Hate hate hate hate hate."

Posted by Hunter | August 14, 2008 1:09 PM

. saw them in Tanglewood on 8/12. Glad I saw them there instead of here in BK. It was beautiful and it seems they played a much better show. I have seen Wilco before (about 4 years ago). They were boring. This time they were inspired and animated. The 2.5 hour set was exciting. I will return to Tanglewood next year to see them. Based on their reactions to playing there, I assume they will be back"

Uh, how can you comment on the show as you were not there. By the way, I was getting 2 wines for one by the end of the night. Ran out of beer so I opted for the wine.

Posted by Adam | August 14, 2008 1:11 PM

i youtubed "pieholden suite" and threw it on my gigoblog. i thought it was a solid set -- not dazzling by any means, but a good time nonetheless. am looking forward to new songs for the next time!

Posted by Qbertplaya | August 14, 2008 1:31 PM

This reviewer was clearly looking for something negative to whine about. It was a great concert and Wilco was phenomenal live, as always.

Also, total pros is a Wilco joke, not just what he called the brass and wind section that played with them.

Posted by Fortune | August 14, 2008 1:32 PM

Found this page off of Google. Man you guys seem unhappy. I was at the show and it was great! Stop searching for something wrong with it and be happy.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 1:33 PM

you folks need to lighten the fuck up.

the band was great and the weather was perfect. it was an amazing night.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 1:33 PM

...and the Total Pros definitely add to their sound. They make the songs that much more groovy.

Posted by Fortune | August 14, 2008 1:36 PM

Sorry but you have to be a huge loser to stand outside the gates and peak in the holes for an entire concert. At least chill in the park or something. You can still hear the music, but don't pretend like you can see anything or are apart of the festivities.

Posted by Poor kids outside the gates | August 14, 2008 1:41 PM

the 'love will tear us apart' comment was when he asked us all to clap to the beat, and at first nobody was clapping. i thought it was funny, though, not a mean jab at all. i thought tweedy seemed happy and liked the crowd, and i will continue to think so. it was a perfect night, and an amazing show! 2.5 hours of awesomeness AND audience participation!!

Posted by sherri | August 14, 2008 1:57 PM

Attn Brooklyn:

1. Shut the fuck up
2. Shut the fuck up
3. That was a great show

PS Shut the fuck up

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 1:57 PM

No comments on the lousy sound at the pool? Wow!? I am so glad that place is closing down. Who saw the mgmt show? Waiting 4+ hrs? Yikes. Over-hyped and lame venue.

The pool totally worked for Black Keys, but a nuanced band like Wilco needs such a much better sound system (and being outside is no excuse).

I've seen Wilco on almost every tour/ show since Randall's Island when they were playing the Mermaid Ave stuff for the 1st time. Sorry folks, but the show's sound last night was lackluster at best. Great song selection- one of the most diverse sets yet. But the sound was muddy and totally buried all of the brilliance of their performance last night. And I was moving around the pool trying to find the sweet spot! No dice. Being teased by Nels and Glenn through shitty speakers was horrible. They are 2 of the best musicians working today and huge in Wilco's current live shows! Unstoppable. But who knew it last night? It was just criminal to see them there doing their thing and not feel the intensity and brilliance of their performances. Frustrating and heart-breaking. Sorry guys, but McCarren really did break my heart last night.

I'll gladly claw my way into a club show in NYC or drive to IL, NJ, NC, OH, or MA (anywhere!- which I have done before) no problem. I really just felt like the poor sound sucked all of the greatness out of the show for me. The band was so clearly into it, and they were hitting all the right notes (and some great surprises too. But who knew?) Maybe if I was in the first 10 rows of bodies I would have felt it to some extent too. Not one of the best Wilco shows by a long shot- but not any fault of the band's. I for one will certainly not miss the pool. I'll gladly take Radio City, MSG at New Year's again, or hunting down sold-out Irving Plaza club tix. Good-bye to M Pool. I can't wait until the next tour (not just for me, but for people that liked the show last night: you have not heard or seen anything yet! Def get tix next time-you will be so surprised how much greater the band can be when allowed through a decent sound system!)

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 1:58 PM

Personally, I thought that the sound was pretty sharp, from where I stood -- except for the brass, which I couldn't really pick out at all. Otherwise, I felt I could hear each instrument (and voices) pretty distinctly. Maybe not so much John's bass, but everything else was clear.

Posted by Hunter | August 14, 2008 2:03 PM

Mikael Jorgensen was hanging out at Union Pool after the show. I left there around 2am and he was still going strong.

Kingpin was a highlight for me.

Posted by anonymous | August 14, 2008 2:03 PM

was there anything remarkable about the show?
i love the band... tweedy's a great song writer, the band can play...
but if you've seen them before...
what about this show was different?
i saw them last year... they've been touring this act for at least that long...
the addition of those pro guys is an indication that tweedy's getting tired too...
like he said, see you next time when we have a new album...

Posted by moldymind | August 14, 2008 2:15 PM

via chicago is a masterpiece. thought it was a great opener.

Posted by anonymous | August 14, 2008 3:07 PM

I thought the show was great. My only problem is that they closed with "I'm A Wheel" because I HATE that song. The "something is missing" was awkward, but really funny. I like how the audience (at least in the front where I was standing) cheered and Glenn looked around his kit to find a "gong substitute." Then he jumped up on the bass drum. It was cool!

I thought the "Max liked it" comments were a poke at him, not the crowd. The "audience participation part" always goes wrong. TMBG always "pokes fun" at the audience when the hand clapping disintegrates. I myself would MUCH rather hear the band than clapping, so it didn't bother me at all when Jeff said "everyone in the world does it better." I thought Jeff's Dylan comment was funny too!

Posted by Robberry | August 14, 2008 3:12 PM

Hmm. What's really bitter and lame is a poster like this mistaking a happy performer's good-natured bantering and interacting with the crowd as some kind of anti-Hipster slight because he thinks the world revolves around him.

I had a ton of fun last night and laughed at almost everything Tweedy said between songs. Because it was funny. If you had enough maturity and confidence to not take yourself too seriously you might have had fun and laughed, too.

Posted by Jesus of Suburbia | August 14, 2008 3:17 PM

"Is it just me or was Tweedy going out of his way to remind us that Wilco has played these songs hundreds of times and this show is nothing special? Isn't a touring performer supposed to keep the illusion that every show is special?"

It's just you.

Posted by Jesus of Suburbia | August 14, 2008 3:19 PM

I went to Wilco last night and all I got in return was this STD.

Posted by Super AIDS | August 14, 2008 3:21 PM

And I thought StL crowds were nerdy and thin skinned. I guess you all are the winners.

Posted by jules | August 14, 2008 3:55 PM

Wilco couldn't play "Love Will Tear Us Apart" drum beat if their lives depended on it, because they have Wilco's rhythm section, god help them.

Why does Tweedy still sing? Are they too shy to be an instrumental band? The guitars are great, but are there any Wilco fans who think the vocals are a plus rather than a minus?

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 3:55 PM

yes, most fans of wilco enjoy the vocals...and the sarcastic humor.

Posted by wilco vocals rule | August 14, 2008 4:05 PM

hipster

Posted by jim | August 14, 2008 4:22 PM

3:55- sign off the internet and go listen to substance for the 8 zillionth time, you idiot hipster tryhard.

Posted by grace6697 | August 14, 2008 4:32 PM

Imagine if they had comment sections back in the day, say Altamont....'and to that noisy a-hole on the Harley who stuck my girl friend in the gut with a pool cue you need to get a life" They would certainly have some comment worthy things outside of the music instead of khaki pant wearing guy was not paying atention.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 4:39 PM

This shit is sad.

Too bad no one at the show got stabbed.

Posted by The ghost of the kid killed at Altamont | August 14, 2008 4:47 PM

Too bad everyone complained about acoustics at a venue surrounded by concrete and open sky.

Makes me wanna stab and maim. Stab and maim Joy Division Songs.

Posted by The guy that killed the kid at Altamont | August 14, 2008 4:49 PM

I hope I dont get yelled at for saying this, but I enjoyed the show. First time Ive seen them live. The beer situation was the worst Ive ever seen. Thank god I drank a half gallon at the Turkey Neck Tavern. Peace.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 6:25 PM

to the people complaining about the sound. Where where you standing? I was about 15 feet in front of the soundboard dead center and it sounded great.

Also I was with about 10 people all huge Wilco fans we have all seen them about 15 or more times and all of us agreed the show was great.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 6:43 PM

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 10:40 AM

HA HA you were the douchebag it is a concert people want to hear the music.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 6:46 PM

I thought it was a great show - I've seen them 3x in the last year - Hammerstein, Austin City Limits and now McCarren Pool, and each time they are amazing. Such a tight band. I guess I was lucky to be close to the stage, because there was no problem with sound or people who didn't love Wilco. I just wish those over 6 feet tall would stay to the back of the crowd (JK-don't flame me).

For those who are debating about overplaying songs, check this out:
it shows you how many times Wilco played each song in live shows for more than 10 years. Sort it by times played.

Posted by missfit | August 14, 2008 7:37 PM

I had fun and from the looks of it (message board) there were a lot of miserable people there. Why does everyone have such lousy attitudes?

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 7:49 PM

Crowd would have been much more enlivened if one didn't have to stand in two fucking lines for beer.
Easier access to beer =s livelier crowd. That's just the truth talking. The two lines for beer thing was completely asinine.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 8:32 PM

dare you to drivel your musings on the via chicago forum. they'll eat you alive. i'm wilco's number uno fan biatchez

Posted by kim gordon | August 14, 2008 8:56 PM

Great show but Tweedy should not talk. He practically ruined the show. What was with the "hi!" "hi! out there" or whatever at the beginning of the show? So annoying. And getting people to clap and scream? What are we, 10? Just play the damn music and leave us alone. He basically negated all coolness earned by his music.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 9:07 PM

What does Tweedy expect from a crowd when he's playing adult contemporary?

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 9:36 PM

awesome show!!!!
unbelievable set list!!!
great crowd from my vantage point (stage left, about fifteen people back)
great quotes from jeff: quoting his father "i dunno what that boy's smoking, but he sure is a free thinker"

loved the energy, jeff doing his usual onstage dances.

loved that the show started at 7:30 before half the audience got there, so that the rest of us could hear 2.5 hours of wilco

loved that i could drink cans of beer OUT OF A CAN through the show

and lastly loved that i didnt have to meet any of the whiners that posted on this site (shame on you few sad suckers)
one complaint: TURN UP NELS!!! the man rocked out

Posted by jk | August 14, 2008 9:36 PM

this show almost filled the void in my heart made by radiohead leaving town...almost.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 9:43 PM

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 9:51 PM

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 9:53 PM

1. Jeff was being sarcastic.

2. As for the beer lines, if you thought last night was bad, you weren't at Beastie Boys last year at the pool. Worst. Beer Lines. Ever.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2008 10:40 PM

BV messes up Tanglewood w/Cambridge-- gee--think these guys have credibility?

If the crowd is too drunk and pretentious to listen to an artist and his equally talented bandmates,the nearest bar is your ticket.

pics are OK, though-- hint, stick with what you know..... hipster (overused--> meaningless)

Posted by anonymous | August 15, 2008 12:52 AM

one of the total pros also runs the scoreboard at Wrigley Field.

Posted by takka takka | August 15, 2008 2:18 AM

"yes, most fans of wilco enjoy the vocals...and the sarcastic humor."

Most fans of wilco are obviously huge fanboys. You Jeff Tweedy idolizers are pathetic. I was at the Broklyn show. I thought the sound was fine, but Jeff seemed miserable.

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2008 2:54 AM

In response to the few comments about miserable people (either audience, or Jeff)----I think Wilco's greatness is in part due to Jeff's ability to tap into his own misery, share it, and temporarily suspend the alienation that miserable people like me (and apparently many other Wilco fans) feel much of the time.

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2008 8:31 AM

brooklyn has snorted its sense of humor right down the toilet.

Posted by beast | August 15, 2008 9:33 AM

whats all this talk about misery? im confused

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2008 9:49 AM

Lighten up, folks. Haven't you seen Wilco before? This is Tweedy's sense of humor - he likes to play around with the crowd. I've seen Tweedy truly ticked off at a disrepectful crowd before and he doesn't hide it by cracking jokes. I was at the show and thought he was sincerely impressed with the crowd changing up the beat during Spiders. So chill out, everyone. It was a great show, let's not overanalyze it.

Posted by jc | August 15, 2008 10:50 AM

chill out bv.

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2008 11:17 AM

BV needs to work in its self-esteem. Probably smoking too much grass.

Posted by BPstyler | August 15, 2008 2:41 PM

too many white people at the show, that's my only complaint.

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2008 6:39 PM

i dropped a "brooklyn vegan!" and a "hipsters!" at the show

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2008 6:45 PM

"wilco is boring and jeff tweedy shouldn't compare himself to ian curtis....one a rock n' roll visionary, one a boring old fart."

a rock and roll visionary? riiiggght! um, he never compared himself to ian curtis. words are so much fun to throw around kids!
fuck you complainers, who can't understand sarcasm, but probably has it listed under their myspace/facebook accounts.

BUT, the beer situation did suck.

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2008 6:55 PM

great show most of the people were wanna be brooklynites,to cool to clap and music not cool enough for them.they wouldn't be able to walk through have of brooklyn without shitting in their pants but they wanna say i'm from brooklyn fuck you

Posted by t | August 15, 2008 11:38 PM

Beer-on-the-brain = Brooklyn drain

So pleased, not a brooklynite no more!

Show sells out in a heartbeat--behold, a select group of drunken whiners--- pathetic, no wonder this country can't find half decent leadership---run by brats whose main concerns are beer lines---European & Asian kids out-shine USA's--- Implications are obvious right? Will sink in before it's too late, right? ---OH--- it's too late!

Jeff's sensitivty to struggling with our demons is lost on you--- sad

Posted by anonymous | August 16, 2008 9:45 AM

Beer-on-the-brain = Brooklyn drain

So pleased, not a brooklynite no more!

Jeff's sensitivty to struggling with our demons is lost on you--- sad

Posted by anonymous | August 16, 2008 9:57 AM

No offense to all you guys but WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU ALL TALKING ABOUT?

Tweedy was most certainly COMPLIMENTING the crowd on doing the clap differently. Since I have the show on tape already I'll give you the direct quote: But Noooooo, all you free thinkers here, you have to change the beat! IT'S REALLY IMPRESSIVE.

He wasn't making fun of the crowd, he was making fun of all the other crowds that just did the lame single clap, and PRAISING brooklyn for being the only ones to change it up.

You hipsters need to lighten up a little bit...

Anyway great show I had a wonderful time!

Posted by J | August 16, 2008 12:44 PM

Show was great. All around. Tweedy was not a downer you're all a bunch of whiners. And yes Tweedy was complimenting the crowd for doing something different with the clapping how are all of you stupid?

Posted by Joba_d | August 16, 2008 1:01 PM

Seriously though I feel bad for some of you.

You people must be pretty damn sheltered and spoiled, if you ever experienced any real pain or suffering or hardship you'd realize how precious the good moments are.

Its a shame, my friends would've had a great time with your wasted tickets.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2008 1:19 PM

"LIFE IS WAY TOO SHORT AND WONDERFUL TO SPEND IT WHINING AND BITCHING AND SEEING EVERYTHING AS SOME SORT OF INSULT OR SLIGHT TO YOU PERSONALLY!"

It's a shame that you can't see that the original review was meant mostly tongue in cheek.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2008 1:35 PM

Did anyone see if there was a poster for the brooklyn concert?

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2008 8:43 PM

All the conjecture about the band's feelings about Brooklyn, the people, etc. A reminder that this was a benefit concert for N. Brooklyn parks. As a resident - thank you Wilco!

It was a great show by a great band.

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2008 2:03 AM

I want the hour back of my life I just spent reading these posts

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2008 11:24 AM

i want the hour back that i spent listening to that crappy opener. how come other wilco shows get bon iver, andrew bird, and fleet foxes as openers, but we got crappy vadge folk. so awful.

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2008 11:33 AM

Damn, I don't know what most people are talking about but the show was awesome. The crowd around me was definitely into it. Why so negative? I don't get it.

Posted by Dexter | August 18, 2008 11:44 AM

Great show, great artists- sincere about their work, don't understand where all this hostility coming from... anyway, nice photos of Tweedy and the band if that's the best work BV can muster...then, be it.

Posted by anonymous | August 19, 2008 12:38 AM

Boring band, absolute snoozers.

You people need to scrape the turd out of your ears.

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2008 12:52 AM

Wilco is back December 15th, opening for Neil YOung at MSG.

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2008 7:42 AM

12:52, you are a complete idiot. People like you in the world piss me off.

Posted by Morgan | August 19, 2008 2:02 PM

Hi, Did anyone see if there was a poster for the brooklyn concert?

Posted by GaMes | January 19, 2011 9:42 AM

Posted by منتديات | February 22, 2011 5:37 AM

Good morning, many thanks for sharing this great posting (it is one of my favourites on the site). All the best.

Posted by Fleet Insurance 4U | March 1, 2011 10:53 PM

Posted by كازنوفا | March 2, 2011 4:42 PM

danke für die info

Posted by altaif | April 11, 2011 12:59 PM

ผมมีเว็บ หี มาแจกครับ ลองเข้าไปชมกันนะครับ รูปเยอะมาก

Posted by เย็ด, หี, หนังโป้, หนังx | June 20, 2011 10:37 AM

I like very much.
I have to follow it.
Thanks.

Posted by ครีมหมอจุฬา | August 2, 2011 5:02 AM

You people need to scrape the turd out of your ears.

Posted by หี | October 27, 2011 12:01 AM